Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2005, 05:43 PM   #1
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via MSN to KarenInKali
Default Anyone taking arthritis medicine?

I have arthritis in my lower back and am in constant pain. My doctors put me on Mobic last month. I have had some swelling in my ankles, which is one of the signs you are supposed to watch for, but was told by the corpsman at the clinic after going in to have it and my BP checked that I was within normal standards. Well, I also noticed that unusual weight gain is one of the things to watch for and within the past two-three weeks, I have gained almost 10 pounds.... it sucks because I can tell that most of it is fluid.

Anyone else have any experience with arthritis meds?

TIA

BLINGO
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-13-2005, 06:25 PM   #2
Hardware Hotshot

I also have arthritis and had been on Vioxx and a few of the others. Of course that's not an option now and they weren't working that great anyway. Well, about 5 months ago my Dr. had me try Limbrel and it's worked better than anything else I've tried. It's an imflammetory. He said it's not the same type as Vioxx, Celebrex and those. In his opinion it's very safe and I have had no side effects. It's a little more expensive, I do have insurance but have to pay a larger copay for Limbrel but it's worth it for me. Hope this helps!

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Old 06-13-2005, 06:55 PM   #3
Mad Swapper

I was on Mobic but I broke out in hives and since they had just changed me to that they took it away. I know just take Aleve and boy I can tell it just isn't as good,

Old 06-14-2005, 05:41 AM   #4
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to just_beth

I took prednizone for my rheumatoid arthritis for a while and gained a lot of fluid. They finally put me on diclofinec (sp??) and that helped a lot and the fluid retention went down considerably. Of course now I am pregnant and suffering like crazy, but...only 3 more scorching months to go!!
Old 06-14-2005, 05:49 AM   #5
Gabfest Goddess

I take Naproxin (Aleve) that I buy at Costco. I've been out of it for over a week now, and I can really tell the difference. I usually take 2 at night before bed, that way I can get up in the morning. I've got a lot of joint pain, and I have arthritis in my neck, and it really seems to help. I'm afraid of taking anything else, since I have a history of heart stuff in my family.

<--Wishing I was cruising (Caribbean Princess, May 2010)
Old 06-14-2005, 08:40 AM   #6
Crimping Master

After about a year of going through different perscriptions (celebrex, vioxx. . ., which worked great for a couple of months then stopped working) my dr. put me on norgesic (anti-inflamitory, pain reliever) I've been on it for about 2 years and it does a pretty good job.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:48 AM   #7
Gabfest Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to jen9853

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis (and Lupus), and took Vioxx for a month when it first came out, it did NOTHING for me. I was on Celebrex for a few years, but lost my health insurance and can't afford it anymore ($400 a month for the dose I was on, and I'm on disability, so I have limited income). I also was on prednisone daily for about 3 years, but it caused osteoperosis, so I had to go off of it (I broke my foot getting out of bed... my doc was a little worried). I did have a bit of fluid retention from it, but it helped the most (and, it's soooo affordable... figures I can't take it). I take Aleve in the morning, and Vicodin for pain when I need it. I'm coping alright, but not as well as when I was on all my meds... they are all SO EXPENSIVE, I've had to stop taking almost all of them.

Okay, I'm done whining now... it's good to hear what others have to say about the meds now, especially since so many are questionable these days.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:23 AM   #8
Quacker Stamper

I've taken all the arthritis drugs - Vioxx, Mobic (which did nothing), Celebrex, and Bextra (which helped the best, but I got an itchy rash on my hand and then they pulled it). I have arthritis in my low back and neck from whiplash accidents. Now I just take Advil (3 at a time, 2 or 3 times a day). I also had a friend tell me about an enzyme supplement called Serrapeptase which is supposed to help a number of different things including the pain from arthritis. I've been taking it for about 3 weeks and it has helped a lot. I'll probably keep taking it, because since I've been taking it, I can get out of my waterbed easier without a lot of pain.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Blog: http://maggiescathouse.blogspot.com/
Old 06-14-2005, 09:39 AM   #9
Pearl-ExPert

UGH! I hated my waterbed. I have a foam core mattress now made by Koala Matresses. It is the best bed I have ever slept on! I will never go back to a traditional mattress!

I have rhuematoid arthritis in my back and neck. I've had it since I was 14. Unfortunately, I am hypersensitive to medications, so there are few that I am able to take without breaking out in hives, swelling up like a balloon or laying on the couch with my tongue hanging out of my mouth and drooling. (It ain't pretty!) I'm pretty much only able to take Aleve or Advil. It takes the edge off the pain, but there are many more days lately that make me not quite painfree. I'm sort of glad that my doctor had the foresight to not put me on some of the meds that had recently been pulled! Scarey!

Docorate of De-Edumacation, Lawd, How *** granted by Rainsong

"What's life if not doing things for other people?" Martin Gray

Eesay ymay allerygay !

ymay amperedpay efchay usinessbay
Old 06-14-2005, 02:44 PM   #10
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via MSN to KarenInKali

Thanks everyone for the responses. I am somewhat limited on what meds I can take because the Navy doesn't have a fully stocked pharmacy here on the island - you take what you can get. I cut back to just one Mobic instead of two and some of the swelling is down and I have lost 2 pounds - yippee!!! I also take glucosamine condroiton twice a day and have for years. I can definitely tell when I don't take it. And, to sleep well at night, I take a Vicodin before bedtime - rarely do I take one during the day.

I will keep these meds' names handy and talk to my Dr. next time I go in.

Thanks again!

BLINGO
Old 06-14-2005, 03:20 PM   #11
Insane Embellisher

Default arthritis

I have juvenile arthritis had for as long as I can remember. My pain is all over I mostly do mind over matter. I have tried all kinds of meds and the side effects are far worse than the arthritis I have received no relief. So I take tylenol arthritis which works enough to get me through. Has anyone ever tried bee stings I saw that on tv once--gross. Eventually I guess you'll try anything. I wish all my fellow RA sufferers the best.
Carmen

http://www.queentomas.blogspot.com/