Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
Glitter Guru

Location: Squinting in the glow of the neighbor's sodium-vapor security light
Default 7-Minute Frosting and Humidity?

I have been assigned the making of Jesus' birthday cake for my in-laws Christmas party tonight. They have had the same cake for years - angel food, with 7-minute frosting. Also, my grandmother (mom's mom) made angel food cake with 7-minute frosting when I was a kid.

It is raining today, and well, let's face it - this is Houston. It's almost always humid here. I've done some reading online, and am getting conflicting information - everything from absolutely don't make this on a humid day, to you can make it if it's humid but it might take up to 10 minutes to get it fluffy.

Does anyone know the real answer? Can I make it when it's humid?

Penny
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Penny, waving at you from the west side of Houston! I don't know about the frosting but the humidity today is just awful. It is aggravating my asthma and making me cough badly. It's hard to believe it was was so cold earlier this week and now it's warm and muggy. Ugh! Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Old 12-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterati View Post
Hi Penny, waving at you from the west side of Houston! I don't know about the frosting but the humidity today is just awful. It is aggravating my asthma and making me cough badly. It's hard to believe it was was so cold earlier this week and now it's warm and muggy. Ugh! Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Hey - I'm on the west side, too! Westheimer/Wilcrest area.

Yep, I have asthma too - I haven't even been outside today. We're trying to get everything finished up and decide if we're going to the Children's service at church - last year they wanted to give my 4YO and my 1YO their own lighted candles!! Yikes!!

Penny
Old 12-24-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
Glitter Guru

It will work on a humid day if you turn the air conditioning waaayyyy down. It is not worth it. They make it in a can now don't they?
Old 12-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53queenbee View Post
It will work on a humid day if you turn the air conditioning waaayyyy down. It is not worth it. They make it in a can now don't they?

7 minute frosting in a can? I don't think so - but that would be awesome! They used to make a mix (maybe Jiffy), but I've never used that.

It ended up working just fine. I didn't even have to turn the AC down. Who knew?

Penny
Old 12-26-2008, 06:52 AM   #6
Insane Embellisher

What is 7 minute frosting?

Proud mom of twins!
Old 12-26-2008, 07:15 AM   #7
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylstamps View Post
What is 7 minute frosting?
It's a cooked frosting, made with egg whites and sugar. I used Paula Deen's recipe (on cooking.com or allrecipes.com - I think) and put 2 egg whites, some white sugar, a T. of white corn syrup and some water in the top of a double boiler and beat it with an electric mixer for at least 7 minutes until it gets fluffy. Even on a humid Houston day, it didn't take much longer than 7 minutes. I LOVE the stuff. It gets sugary and crusty after awhile - yum!

Penny
Old 12-28-2008, 08:06 AM   #8
Mad Swapper

That is my ABSOLUTELY favorite frosting! My recipe (from Mom and Betty Crocker's old red and white cookbook) doesn't have the corn syrup though. I've made it with coconut water and pressed fresh flaked coconut all over it - yummy! And this Christmas for my Advent desert I made it with maraschino cherry syrup in place of the water. It was so pretty and delish!
Old 12-28-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommj View Post
That is my ABSOLUTELY favorite frosting! My recipe (from Mom and Betty Crocker's old red and white cookbook) doesn't have the corn syrup though. I've made it with coconut water and pressed fresh flaked coconut all over it - yummy! And this Christmas for my Advent desert I made it with maraschino cherry syrup in place of the water. It was so pretty and delish!
The recipe I used said to either use I think 1/4 t. of cream of tartar OR 1 T of corn syrup. The reviewers all said that it tasted better with the corn syrup, and I had both, so I used the syrup.

It is my favorite frosting, too! The coconut version sounds awesome! And I'll bet that cherry version was pretty and tasty! Yum!

Penny
Old 12-31-2008, 07:47 AM   #10
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblair38 View Post
The recipe I used said to either use I think 1/4 t. of cream of tartar OR 1 T of corn syrup. The reviewers all said that it tasted better with the corn syrup, and I had both, so I used the syrup.

It is my favorite frosting, too! The coconut version sounds awesome! And I'll bet that cherry version was pretty and tasty! Yum!

Penny
It was the prettiest pink ever! I came to find out after the Advent event that my Grandpa had made a maraschino cherry cake with cherry frosting just once for my Mom - for her BD a few months after her sister died. It was so special for her and I had never known about it, but chose it for this event!