Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 04:24 AM   #1
Matboard Maniac

Default what time is too early to cut grass?????

I was was just wondering what everybody thinks. I know I am a light sleeper, but I think 6:30a.m. is too early to start cutting grass. I live in a nice neighborhood. Our yards aren't big meaning we are fairly close together. I went out at 6:40 to ask him to stop, but nope not him. I would like just some common courtesy.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-06-2008, 04:28 AM   #2
Glitter Guru

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues
Send a message via MSN to LeahsCreations

That's too early, but I was thinking that I would like to start at 7.
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Old 06-06-2008, 04:32 AM   #3
Pearl-ExPert

wow that is early! No one in my neighborhood does it before 8am. I wish it were 10Am on the weekend!
Old 06-06-2008, 04:32 AM   #4
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

some cities have noise ordinances that say you can't do that before a certain time.

i'd go research it and leave a copy of the rules on his front door step.

doesn't help you this time.

might prevent it from happening again.

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 06-06-2008, 04:38 AM   #5
blaBBermouth

Isn't the grass too wet to mow that early? Maybe its the only time he can get it done and didn't want to let it get knee high. Does he do it consistently that early in the morning? If he did it every week at that time I would maybe talk to him about it again when he's not in the middle of mowing. I'm with Leah, maybe 7. I'm a morning person though...I'm out when the sun comes up. So, I'd much rather morning noise than evening noise. Our neighbor is still mowing after dark, sometimes until 1030. Plus, its already really hot here. If we wait until too late in the day we'll fry. Good luck! Maybe you can catch an afternoon nap.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:41 AM   #6
Mad Swapper

I think even 7 is WAY too early, especially with school being out, we all sleep in a little. I don't think I've ever heard anyone mowing before 9 here.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:42 AM   #7
Die Cut Diva

I think 6:30 is too early.

But there could be factors, such as work, or appointments, etc. He could want to get it done before it gets too hot.

Maybe some ear plugs?

Sorry this happened. It would bug me too, I seem to sleep best when I sleep in.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:52 AM   #8
Gabfest Goddess

We typically can't start that early because of the humidity/dew. It just clumps...

but what everyone else has said makes sense... I know Missouri can get awfully hot, so maybe he's trying to beat the heat? Has to work? Can't do it later?

Still would bug me, but there might be reasons he has to do it that early and it isn't possible for him to wait until later.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:54 AM   #9
Glitter Guru

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues
Send a message via MSN to LeahsCreations

Yeah, I know 7 is too early, but that's when I would LIKE to start. It's already 80 degrees when we wake up in the morning and the temps climb so fast. I want to done by 9. I've waited to start work at 8 and then taken two days to get it done if I need to.
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Old 06-06-2008, 05:03 AM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to austamper Send a message via MSN to austamper Send a message via Yahoo to austamper

6:30... WAY too early! I think 7:30 at the earliest preferibly 8. It gets hot here too pretty early but its just common courtesy if you ask me!

View my BLOG
Old 06-06-2008, 05:10 AM   #11
Mad Swapper

Honestly, I think he should wait until at least 9 out of consideration for all neighbors. He doesn't know what type of schedules they keep and it's just rude.

Now, to put the shoe on the other foot. Maybe this is the only time he has to mow. And he thinks he's being polite by making sure it gets mowed. Rather than being rude by allowing the grass to grow unchecked. Not saying that's happening (especially since you talked to him), but I try to give the benefit of the doubt.

I'd definitely look into noise ordinances/quiet hours as others have mentioned.

"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment" -Ben Franklin
Old 06-06-2008, 05:18 AM   #12
Crimping Master

During the week, I think 8:00 is fine (at least for our neighborhood). None of our neighbors have small children that might still be sleeping and all of neighbors work so I believe that everyone is at work by this point. Now I might not feel this way if I knew that the neighbors had small children or knew that people would be home.

On Saturday, we will not start mowing before 9:00 and on Sunday not before 10:00.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:41 AM   #13
Stazon Splitcoast

6:30 am is much too early. Most people around us wait till 9am out of courtesy
Old 06-06-2008, 06:01 AM   #14
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoping View Post
some cities have noise ordinances that say you can't do that before a certain time.

i'd go research it and leave a copy of the rules on his front door step.

doesn't help you this time.

might prevent it from happening again.
I had to do this-and it helped. It's one thing if it's a rare occurence-but if it's this early every time he cuts the grass maybe you need to talk to him or resort to leaving him a copy of the ordinance.

Sue "Zumba Mingler"
Old 06-06-2008, 06:02 AM   #15
Stampin' Fool

I would say 8:30 is the earliest to be a good neighbor
Old 06-06-2008, 06:02 AM   #16
Gabfest Goddess

Send a message via AIM to Skittl1321

Our city ordinances allow us to start mowing at 7:00 a.m. I think that's a reasonable time. Without any ordinances I'd say 6:30 is probably too early, though I am usually up by then anyway. I think 7:00 is perfectly reasonable time, 8:00 being the best time.

I think asking him to wait until 9:00 a.m. is unreasonable. It's usually quite hot by then, or else that's well enough into my day that the hour or so it takes to mow the lawn would cut into other plans.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:14 AM   #17
Watercolor Wizard

The lawn mowing in our neighborhood starts between 5 and 6am. In summer as it is too hot to do it any later. Construction workers start between 4:30-5am in the summer even on residential homes.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:26 AM   #18
Hardware Hotshot

WOW. You all mow really early. Where I live nothing is really heard before 9 AM. No one realy set a time. It it is just something that everyone does. That includes phone calls (unless from family or emergencies) or door bell ringing. Also, if I notice that one of my neighbors is having an outdoor party, I never start up the mower no matter the time of day. I don't want to disturb them. Other neighbors are just as kind when I have something outdoors.

I get up late - 9 AM - and go to bed very late. So it is nice not to have noise.

I undestand that it can be hot in places as we used to live in AZ. But we just did it after sundown at night. But there was noise in new construction sites and I can't blame them for starting at day break as it is just too hot in the afternoon for them.

Weekends are very quiet until a little later than the 9 AM time. It's funny too as I always thought people who work would want to sleep in, but they are the ones out working in their gardens at 7 AM - just no mowing. I love my neighborhood.

When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. -- Harriet Beecher Stowe
Old 06-06-2008, 07:30 AM   #19
Stampin' Fool

I'm LMAO at the idea of my DH getting up to mow at 5 A.M.! LOL ... The only reason he'd get up that early is to GOLF! He'd rather mow in the late evening than get out of bed.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:41 AM   #20
Mad Swapper

Send a message via AIM to ScrappinGalz Send a message via Yahoo to ScrappinGalz

LMAO I just had to do research on this this morning for the condo board where I live. I was told by the local PD that landscapers and contractors can start between 6-6:30am and have till 10pm. Our city crews are out at 6 but don't start engines on lawn mowers until 6:30am.

I think 6:30 am is fine during the week, but I am one of those freeks that is up at 4:30am to be out the door by 7am. On weekends I get to sleep in until 6:30am so I would probably want a neighbor to wait until 7am on the weekends so I could have my coffee in peace. I guess each situation would be different based on location and expected temps that day. I certainly wouldn't want to be cutting grass in Arizona at 9-10 am during the summer as I think I would probably melt! LOL
Old 06-06-2008, 08:46 AM   #21
Stazon Splitcoast

I think 8am would be most courteous. The other night a neighbor somewhere near me was running his table saw past 11pm! I finally had to get up and close the window so it wouldn't be so loud. I wondered why his actual neighbors were asking him to stop. I think it was coming from the neighborhood behind me somewhere or I would have been out there saying something.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:58 AM   #22
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via MSN to scrapbuknTI

Well whenever their is enough light out I guess. 6:30-7am is a fairly decent time. More on the 7 side. Infact if they dont get it done early before spare the air, or hot extreme temps here.. is dangerous here in Northern CA. That really isnt that early compared to others who start their day at 3:15am. Yikes.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:03 AM   #23
Compulsive Stamper

Default Lawn mowing

With respect to others, the labours - like my hubby are not allowed to swing their hammers and stuff until 7am on Weekdays and 8am on Weekends. We do not start cutting or mowing until 8am - 9p on Weekends - with respect to others who are either on night shift or have worked all week and just want to sleep in on their days off.

I have called our city officials a few times about a construction company who think they can start at 6am. Their answer was that they were in a commercial area - but they did not realize that sound travelled - like dah! Right down behind our homes, this happened for 1 solid week, until the company was charged by the officials here.
------------
Sandy
Old 06-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #24
Matboard Maniac

During the week I think 7:30 is okay. Weekends -- let everyone sleep! I lthink about 10:00 is good. It is so aggrevating to have someone wake us up by cutting their grass! I'm usually up by 9:00 on weekends, but give it a rest!

Janet
Old 06-06-2008, 12:04 PM   #25
Impoverished Gymnastics Mom

Send a message via AIM to charlalei

I'd just like my neighbor to mow. He could start at 3AM if it meant his dandelion fur wouldn't invade my yard since he only mows once a month. Doo doo head.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:26 PM   #26
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlalei View Post
I'd just like my neighbor to mow. He could start at 3AM if it meant his dandelion fur wouldn't invade my yard since he only mows once a month. Doo doo head.
SNORT!!! That's a nice way to put it, I'm sure!!!

In our subdivision, we had noise ordinances. 7am on Weekdays, 8am weekends and 10p every night. It was nice to have it written down in case we had problems.

Then again, everyone was supposed to keep pets out of everybody else's yards, too. That ordinance wasn't complied with all the time. We had no dog, yet we had to do "poop scoop duty" before we mowed our yard every time. Obviously some stray dog really thought our yard was THE place to poo!!! Of course, we never saw it happen, so couldn't "tattle" sigh... Would have been nice, though. There was a fine and everything!

Anyway, check with your Home Owner's *****ociation (If you have one) and see if anything is mentioned in ways of noise and times... Also check your city's, too. Sometimes they differ.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #27
Vintage Vixen

I've been scanning our city handbook looking for a noise ordinance and didn't find anything. But I think in our neighborhood (not a new development so we don't have a home owners association), most people would wait until after 8:00 a.m. to mow, and probably wouldn't mow after 9:00 p.m.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #28
Stazon Splitcoast

I think your neighbor's twin lives across from me! He starts the lawnmower, the weedeater, the blower, the vacuum or the edger at 6 am at least 4 days a week! He mows twice a week and then spends the other days vacuuming the cracks in his driveway or blowing whatever is in his yard over to the neighbors yard. The neighborhood association had complaints about him starting at 530 am so now he sits on his lawnmower or holds his other noisy thingies in his hand until his watch says 6 am!
Missing my old Kentucky home

Old 06-06-2008, 01:44 PM   #29
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
We have neighbors like this, too. Well, they may mow more often than that, but they do nothing to control dandelions or other weeds. They don't rake their leaves, either. Those poor leaves are so neglected they all come running over to MY yard.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #30
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by whim6915 View Post
I think your neighbor's twin lives across from me! He starts the lawnmower, the weedeater, the blower, the vacuum or the edger at 6 am at least 4 days a week! He mows twice a week and then spends the other days vacuuming the cracks in his driveway or blowing whatever is in his yard over to the neighbors yard. The neighborhood association had complaints about him starting at 530 am so now he sits on his lawnmower or holds his other noisy thingies in his hand until his watch says 6 am!
A little OCD, perhaps??
Old 06-06-2008, 01:54 PM   #31
Cardstock Collector

Oh my, that is way too early to mow. I never mow before 8a.m. We have an ordiance here, we can't do anyting before 7!
Old 06-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #32
Stazon Splitcoast

I think 8 is good for the weekdays and 10 on the weekends. And by 9p.m for the people who have children trying to go to bed.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #33
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahsCreations View Post
Yeah, I know 7 is too early, but that's when I would LIKE to start. It's already 80 degrees when we wake up in the morning and the temps climb so fast. I want to done by 9. I've waited to start work at 8 and then taken two days to get it done if I need to.
But wait! You don't mow your own lawn, do you?

I think anything before 9am is just plain rude. These are the weekends and people like to sleep in. After 9pm is rude too. My neighbor often mows after 9pm and my kids are trying to sleep.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #34
MnM
Insane Embellisher

Well I guess I am the oddball here.
I love the sound of a lawn mower in the early morning. It is one of those summer sounds that brings back great memories from my childhood. Remember when people used to wake up at sunrise and start doing things.
Then after the mower is off you hear the the peaceful sound of birds chirping kids and dogs playing, Mrs Hill screaming at her husband to get down off the roof before he breaks his neck....................

ah....well...........anyway......

If it really bugs you and he won't stop.
Spray him with your hose!
Old 06-06-2008, 08:34 PM   #35
Pearl-ExPert

I would die if a neighbor started mowing the lawn at 5:30 or 6 am!!

Actually I had a talk with our neighbor across the street because her lawn guy was coming on Sundays at 7:30. I was close to shooting him on more than one occasion. She was really nice about it and totally understood.

Our subdivision has an ordinance during the week 8am on weekends 9am. I'd really like the weekends to be 10 but I guess after reading this post I should thank my lucky stars.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:20 PM   #36
Die Cut Diva

Location: In a hostile frozen wasteland...waiting for spring!
Send a message via MSN to Dione

I have to say as a nightshift worker (3 to 4 in a row per month)...I hate the sound of the lawnmowers when I am trying to sleep during the day LOL I know the landscapers are doing their job, and its not a bad time...it just is for me. There is nothing more annoying than hearing it get quiet...then loud again...over and over...
Old 06-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #37
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

My city does have rules about the time, but I think it's 7:30 or 8, not sure.

They also have rules about letting the grass get too high. They pretty much only enforce if someone complains.

Same for dogs that are barking constantly. It's one thing to have a dog outside that barks on occasion, but if it barks all night long - someone's bound to complain. A friend of mine said the cops showed up at her door once about this, and she said, "um, we don't have a dog." LOL It was a neighbor's.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 06-07-2008, 08:48 AM   #38
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whim6915 View Post

Oh my god - I think I have your neighbour's triplet living next to us! We have had problems with him ever since 2003 - the cops have been called, he starts his lawn mower up at 7am on Saturdays - he evens cuts his lawn at 10p at night, when no one can see what he is doing, even him! He has thrown rocks at our black lab because she was standing on the sidewalk about 3" from the property line, he just barely missed hitting her. He spat out at hubby - 'just you wait, the games have just begun.' This rock was about 4" in dia. it would have really hurt her if he had connected. We reported him and he was charged by the SPCA. Two days later I asked him WHY he threw the rock at her, he spat [really he spit on me] and then turned the hose on and hosed me down head to toe! He was charged with mischief from the Cops - he was told to cut it out. That was 2006 - it is still going on.

Last night he cut his lawn and all of the grass clippings ended up on our side - I absolutely hate my neighbour - just wish he would move! Do you think if I wish hard enough......

We have tried everything to ignore him...but he just does not go away!
Old 06-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #39
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to austamper Send a message via MSN to austamper Send a message via Yahoo to austamper

Quote:
Mine only gets mowed once a month because I ashamedly have no clue how to work a lawn mower. My dad comes to do it and he can't come every week. I hate it and might have to invest in lawn service one day. Of course I'd prefer to get married and have a hubby do it but that hasn't happened yet.

View my BLOG
Old 06-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #40
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy85044 View Post

Oh my god - I think I have your neighbour's triplet living next to us! We have had problems with him ever since 2003 - the cops have been called, he starts his lawn mower up at 7am on Saturdays - he evens cuts his lawn at 10p at night, when no one can see what he is doing, even him! He has thrown rocks at our black lab because she was standing on the sidewalk about 3" from the property line, he just barely missed hitting her. He spat out at hubby - 'just you wait, the games have just begun.' This rock was about 4" in dia. it would have really hurt her if he had connected. We reported him and he was charged by the SPCA. Two days later I asked him WHY he threw the rock at her, he spat [really he spit on me] and then turned the hose on and hosed me down head to toe! He was charged with mischief from the Cops - he was told to cut it out. That was 2006 - it is still going on.

Last night he cut his lawn and all of the grass clippings ended up on our side - I absolutely hate my neighbour - just wish he would move! Do you think if I wish hard enough......

We have tried everything to ignore him...but he just does not go away!

OH my stars!!! I think *I* would be looking to move. darn. that's just messed up.

View my BLOG