Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2007, 06:51 AM   #1
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Just Me

Default What is a reasonable price for a flower girl dress?

Ok, let me preface this with a disclaimer. The flower girls in my wedding had crazy expensive dresses (like $220 each) -- but their mom picked them out and was really wealthy, so it was no big deal to her. So I had nothing to do with that selection!

My DD is 18 months old. She is the flower girl in SIL's wedding June 2nd. Her dress, which we went with SMIL to get this weekend, cost $150. Plus the store added $20 to ship it TO THE STORE. Which I think is a little outrageous, but maybe I'm overreacting. How could a dress for a person so little cost so much?? And we still have to get her shoes, socks, and gloves (she is gonna hate those). This is getting a bit ridiculous!

What do you think?
UK ~ US ~ Spectrum Noir
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-02-2007, 06:55 AM   #2
Pearl-ExPert

I think that price is insane for that age.

My sister makes bridal gowns and she thinks it is atrocious to pay more than $100 for a dress that size. Regardless of the amount of work, because you do the same amount of work, regardless of the fact that it is that small, well sometimes MORE because it is that small, but the fabric doesn't cost nearly as much.

I would expect to pay up to $75 to have it in my hands. But only because I know my sister and what she can do so I am pretty picky about costs of such things. Sorry you have to pay so much. Bridal shops are pretty expensive about their dresses, but I think you could get something just as nice at a department store, which is where I have gotten formal things for my DD.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:55 AM   #3
Kookie Creator

Default Flower Girl Dress

I personally think $150 is too much for a flower girl dress. My DD was in two weddings. One only cost us $45, the bride found a really reasonable dress. The second one ended up being free, as I was able to borrow one from a neighbor and the bride loved it, matched her dress beautifully. That being said, the borrowed one did orginally cost $150. It was beautiful! My neighbors were very glad someone else was able to use it since they paid so much for it. All I paid was to have it dry cleaned when I returned it.

“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away”.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:04 AM   #4
Watercolor Wizard

I think that is the going rate from a boutique/specialty place, but I see no need for it. It's a racket if you ask me. I was at our Sears this weekend, and they had the CUTEST dresses there, for girls that age. I showed them to my DD who is 9 and her comment was, "They'd be perfect for a wedding" ... and they were like $40. I would never ask anyone to pay that nor would I pay it myself.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:11 AM   #5
Stampin' Fool

you know that is crazy with all of the beautiful Easter dresses there are out there.... I'd bet you could find one maybe even more pretty and would cost a whole lot less.... there would be no way I would pay that $$ for a dress for some one that size.... just my .02
good luck
Old 04-02-2007, 07:22 AM   #6
Hardware Hotshot

I got married two years ago and my flowergirl's dress was around $120... we bought at a wedding boutique - same place I got my dress and they all cost around that. I'm not saying it's a great price to pay, but if you're buying at a wedding boutique and matching it to the bridesmaids or bridal gown... you'll pay right around there. (sorry!)
Old 04-02-2007, 09:11 AM   #7
Watercolor Wizard

I love the idea of looking in the Easter dresses. I'm going to suggest that to my sister for my niece! Of course, I've very laid back about this and just told her to put her in a dress that she looks cute in and goes with the color scheme. That little toot will look adorable in whatever she wears!

For my sister's wedding, the flower girl's mom actually made her dress from extra material from the bridesmaid's dresses. She was so cute! Now she's graduating from high school this year - yikes! (that's the flower girl, not my sister that's graduating)

I think the price you quoted is probably the standard price though from a boutique. It doesn't change the fact that it's ridiculous. It frustrates me that you add the word "wedding" to something and the price just goes up and up! I saw really adorable dresses in boutiques that were not that far off from Easter dresses you'd get at Target, but the boutique dresses cost $100-200. You know you could always consign the dress after your daughter wears it. Maybe you could at least recoup some of the expense that way. Or maybe e-bay?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:25 AM   #8
Rubber Obsessor

My sister's getting married in August and her flower girls are my daughter and our little sister (long story). After Easter, we plan on going shopping for an on sale Easter dress. Her colors are pink, light green, and light blue. I'm hoping there will be plenty to choose from so they can have matching dresses.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:30 AM   #9
Watercolor Wizard

I found beautiful flower girl dresses in a dept. store aroudn Easter for my two flower girls. I do not see the reason to have a bridal/boutique miniature bride's dress for that age. But that is just me. I bought the flower girl dresses because i felt guilty asking them to pay $50!
Old 04-02-2007, 11:21 AM   #10
Mad Swapper

When DH and I were married, we rented the ring bearer's tux, I bought the fabric, pattern, and other notions for the flower girl's dress, and her mom sewed it. We couldn't see asking the parents to put out money for what we saw as doing us a favor. Face it, most under 4 year olds (or even older) don't even realize what's really happening, and having them in the wedding does cause the parents stress.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:30 AM   #11
Die Cut Diva

Wow, that's pretty pricey! I got married in September (2nd marriage) and had my 2 year old niece be the flower girl. She wore an Easter dress that my mom had found on clearance, and it matched perfectly. My mom made the basket, I bought fake petals from Target's dollar spot, and my sister made a crown of flowers--all for under $25.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:30 AM   #12
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh my goodness! I think that's too high too! My flower girls (we had 2) dresses came from Marshalls and were under $50.00 each!
Old 04-02-2007, 12:53 PM   #13
Gallery Gazer

wow. that is a ton of cash for a wee little dress!

I'm thinking a pretty little frock for Sears, Penney's or Target would fit the bill just fine for something like $40.

can I just say 'wow' one more time?
and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin~
Old 04-02-2007, 01:15 PM   #14
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via AIM to MasJac

It is a lot but unfortunately if you go to a specialty store it is going to be that high if not higher. My flower girls dress matched mine and went for about $125.00. I did give the mom an option that if it was too much to spend that we could try something else or we can pay some if it. Not everyone can afford that amount of money for a 1 occasion dress.

Check out my gallery:

gallery:http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=98777
Old 04-02-2007, 03:38 PM   #15
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via AIM to buggab0o0

I dont even know what to say... seems pricey but is probably about ave from a wedding boutique...
My wedding was small and my sister was my flower girl ( she was 6, I was 19yr old) she just had a walmart dress, I spent 25.00 on mine at ross...
120.00 seems a lot to me since my bridesmaids dress from Davids bridal for my friends wedding was only 135.00 ( some were much much more, and some were less) and with the purchase of x amount of dresses for the bridesmaids and the maid of honor, she got a discount offered on a flower girl dress, or her dress, however she got a better deal someplace else and no one else in florida has her dress, and the flower girl dress was bought from a consignment shop for kids and you'd never have known it.
But I'm sure its a gorgeous dress and probably matches the wedding perfect
Old 04-02-2007, 04:10 PM   #16
Rubber Obsessor

When I got married I bought my flower girl an Easter dress too. It was like 30 dollars.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:45 PM   #17
Kookie Creator

I just bought my niece's dress at www.pinkprincess.com for $50! Beautiful dresses for very reasonable prices. I didn't want my sister, who is also my MOH, to have to pay a fortune. (Plus, I wanted to make sure I got the dress I liked for her...that's a whole other story ). Sorry your situation isn't working out. What's the return policy? (I'm serious, that website had beautiful dresses. My niece's dress matches my dress almost perfectly!)
God bless.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #18
Stampin' Fool

We're going through this w/ my DD for my bro's wedding. It's between two dresses right now--one is $100 and the other $130. We also have to rent a tux for DS, and have bought four airline tickets and have hotel costs and I made the invitations. DH and I are paying more for the wedding than the bride's parents, but I won't get going on that!
Old 04-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #19
Stazon Splitcoast

Well considering that my Aunt purchased all 3 of my girls dresses at Walmart for under $50 I would say that is too much. They were all lace and super pretty.

My dd was in my Aunts wedding a few years back and she purchased dd's dress for around $80 (that was 75 % off) I about fell out of my chair when I found out how much it was before the sale! Anyway it was purchased at a bridal shop and is super fancy but she never wore it again.

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Old 04-02-2007, 05:55 PM   #20
Gabfest Goddess

Send a message via AIM to Skittl1321

WOW! I didn't have a flower girl, but I felt guilty about having my bridesmaids spend $120 on their dresses. I can't imagine that for a young girl.

The weddings I've been in, I tend to get grumpy after $150 for a dress. And that's as a bridesmaid to a life long friend.

I think $100 or less would be reasonable for a flower girl, and hopefully something they could wear again to a church holiday or what not. (I rewore all my flower girl outfits, either to church, or the one that was more of a fairy tale princess outfit (handmade by the MOB...it would have been expensive!) to a costume father daughter dance). I think reuse is the key.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:38 PM   #21
Matboard Maniac

For such a special event I would totally be willing to pay that amount.
Its a once in a lifetime event and she will look like a little princess.
Have fun and enjoy.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:59 PM   #22
Gabfest Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to SkyesMom

When I got married my flower girls dress was 135 plus 20 dollars for comb tiara thing to wear in her hair and 20 dollars for ballet shoes. But the flower girl was my 3 year old daughter and I went a little overboard.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:18 PM   #23
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

for what it's worth.

first communion is coming up for dd1.

i'm having her dress made by a friend - free labor. the FABRIC for her dress is costing about 130... that doesn't include shoes or veil. if i had had to pay labor, it would have been over 200.

she's 7.

(but it is a kick butt dress if i say so myself!)

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 04-04-2007, 02:16 PM   #24
Glitter Guru

I would find a dress suitable for a reasonable price in a store now. since Easter is coming up and all the fancy dresses are coming out . I would simply ask if an very nice fancy easter dress would be well good enough for this occasion and would obviously be much less expensive for the occasion.I'm sure there must be something that you can decide on between the parties.