Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2005, 10:09 AM   #1
Embossing Fanatic

Question Weight Watchers

For those who have been through "program", what is the initial thing that inspired you to join WW?

Was it another person in your life who went through the program and had fantastic results?

Shed the lbs from childbirth?

Joined as a buddy to someone?

Just felt it was "time"?

Do you feel the WW program is better or worse than other popular weight management programs out there? Like, as in comparison to Atkins, South Beach, Jenny, etc.?

Or have you tried several and found one you like more than another?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-13-2005, 10:15 AM   #2
The Digi-Freak

I'm fat! LOL! That's why I'm doin git!

I like WW cause I eat real food, same food as the family, I just eat less.

I've been on WW since October 9, and I'm down 37.6 lb.

I won't lose it as fast as I would on Atkins, but I think it is a healthier way to lose weight and I want to keep it off for life!

Old 05-13-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
Forum Fanatic

While I know some people love WW, I can even give you a link to a WW chat board, others (me) aren't fans. The whole points thing for me just didn't work. I figured I could eat carrots and all their 0 points food and have as much beer as I wanted and still be under my points. At the time of that revelation I knew WW wouldn't work for me. Exercise and eating right, that's the best route in my opinion and my doctor's. He's not fond of WW either.

Best advice anyone can give you is to check with your doctor and get his/her opinion before starting anything.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:40 AM   #4
The Digi-Freak

Well, if you're truly following the 5 keys to healthy weight loss on WW, you wouldn't be able to drink beer all day There is more to the program than just points...

5 fruits and veggies a day, 2 milk products a day, and balanced food..... there is room for splurges, but basic healthy eating is the key.

No matter what, I say eat less, move more!

Old 05-13-2005, 10:41 AM   #5
Kookie Creator

Consumer Reports rated diets. Here's a link to an article about the article. You'd have to get Consumer Reports in order to get the actual article.

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/105/107889.htm
Old 05-13-2005, 10:45 AM   #6
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Stampinlacey Send a message via Yahoo to Stampinlacey

I LOVE WW! It is a lifestyle change, not a diet. And you get to eat what you want in Moderation. That is the Key. My hubby joined with me, so that is even better. I have lost 40 pounds so far! Totally worth it!
Old 05-13-2005, 10:56 AM   #7
Forum Fanatic

Another point to remember about WW, it's all about the leader of your group. If you've got a sucky leader, you'll fail. So Cal had so many centers, the good leaders were spread thin.
Quote:
Well, if you're truly following the 5 keys to healthy weight loss on WW, you wouldn't be able to drink beer all day
I work ALL DAY outside the home, I can't drink all day nor would I, thank you very much!!

The fact is, if you can afford $10 a week to do WW, you'd be better off spending the $40 a month on Curves and moderately eating. Curves gives you both exercise and a nutrition plan to follow. It's all about what's right for you.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:59 AM   #8
The Digi-Freak

I didn't think you actually *Did* drink all day Kymbers!

True true on the $ aspect! I don't go to meetings... I did back in 2001 pre-babies. I was mid-weight-loss when I got pg and then got pg again... now I use my old materials...

I follow my points and workout at home.... and my agreement with myself was that I stall 6 months or longer I will join a gym and if that doesn't work THEN I will start going to meetings! The meeting $ is crazy!

Old 05-13-2005, 11:03 AM   #9
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakimberly
I didn't think you actually *Did* drink all day Kymbers!
Sorry, touchy subject with the brother I have and all. Who does, by the way, drink all day every day and is a complete degenerate.

Kimberly touched on a good point, with WW you platue and stagnate through your weightloss journey. It's very frustrating and can cause you to stumble. With exercise you might actually gain weight, but you'll lose inches in the beginning.

It all depends on what you are looking for.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:20 AM   #10
Hot Mess

I have done several "diet" plans and have liked WW the best. It was more of a lifestyle change for me then a diet. I REALLY need to get back to it but have not for various reasons! I liked that I could eat regular food. I do not like diets where you have to purchase their food. I also did it the way MamaK is doing it. I did not go to meetings. I followed the material and worked out at home.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:05 PM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

I joined because I gained 51 pounds in less than 8 months on a 5'4 frame.

I went from 111 lbs and being skinny all my life to obese. I couldn't breath, I couldn't walk, run, tie my shoes, button my pants, put on my socks or shoes. I had to do something. It turns out I developed an underactive thryoid and had misdiagnosed by 7 different doctors over the course of 8 months.

Anyhoo, WW was a good start for me and helped me lose about 15 lbs, wich I have kept off.

But, no amount of eating properly is going to help you lose weight without drinking plenty of water, lifting some weights (develop muscles, which burn fat), AND exercise!! Walk, run, go up and down the stairs - but get up and do something!

I go to the gym about 3-4 times a week and now work out with a trainer. I've gotten down to about 135 lbs...much better than 162! YIKES! Funny thing is I'm back to a size 6 again, because I have muscle now and am toned.

IF you work out and build muscle, your weight will not likely change much, but please be aware that muscle weighs more than fat and is better to have.

Measure inches, not pounds. Measure dress sizes, not pounds!

BTW, I also tried LA Weight Loss - I did not like it, it was expensive and it was not well-suited for maintenance (for me).

Best of luck! HTH, Dana
Old 05-13-2005, 04:22 PM   #12
kvb
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Skype™ to kvb
Default It's a choice.

WW does work, but there is no easy way to get the weight off. Like others mentioned it's a life choice. I'll admit to going to start up with WW at work next week. Why, because I didn't keep up with the whole plan. I lost the weight. Kept it off for three years then let stress and emotional baggage get me in a worse fix than I was the first time around. But back to your original question.

I chose WW because my mother has been on and off the program for many years so I knew it was a good program. To me other diets/programs didn't seem to be for the long term. I joined WW the first time because it was my time. I made the decision to stick with it, drink water and excercise. WW gets you to examine what you eat, plan what you eat, look at portion size and to change your life style. Besides making the decision to stick to it, if I pay out $$$ I wan't to see some results so paying was my way to help enforce my decision to stick with it.

I'm starting WW at work next week for almost the same reason. Primarily I'm going to pay $$$ and get on that scale each week to weigh in. The first month or two is the roughest in my opinion. Afterwards you start getting into a groove.

Good luck in whatever you choose!
Old 05-13-2005, 05:59 PM   #13
Matboard Maniac

I went out of paranoia about my health, and worried about getting diabetes and cancer (i'm a prime candidate). And went out of disgust at how I looked.
I did it a couple years ago and I was SO into it. I agree with those here who say it's not a diet. All it is, is a way to get yourself on track with doing the "correct" eating habits everyone is supposed to live by. Basically the food pyramid we all grew up knowing (and recently changed). But WW just gives you guidelines to keep on track. Exercise also needs to go along with it.

Now, that all being said, I need to get myself to go back!!! Because after doing it for about a year & 1/2 - 2 years I lost 70 lbs and I have not gained it all back because I got lazy, and just bitter about having to always paying attention. But, I knew going into it, that I need to be that attentive for the rest of my life, because I am addicted to food and WW wasn't going to be a temp fix. But I guess after time, I got tired of thinking about it. Now, I'm back to being disgusted at myself.

Ok, I just realized, I really rambled on!!!