Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
Die Cut Diva

Default Warning - someone hacked into Walmart.com site and got credit card info

I know this isn't about papercrafting, but it's very important and I thought you should know.

I found out that the on line store for Walmart (Walmart.com) had their computers hacked recently. Someone tried to charge over $400 to my credit card, but they didn't have the code on the back of my card so my bank wouldn't authorize the purchase.

(Note: This is only the on line stores computers that are involved. It won't affect anyone shopping in person at a Walmart store.)

My bank just called me to ask if I ordered anything from Walmart.com and I told them no, so they flagged the account to stop all purchases. They cancelled my credit card and are sending a new one with a new number. So, if you stored your credit card number on the Walmart.com site, there's a very good chance that the hackers got your credit card and personal info.

If you have a account with the on line store Walmart.com, I highly recommend you change your password and delete any credit or debit card info you have stored on their site. Also, contact your credit card company to let them know there may be a possible breach on your account.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
GoogleGuy

I bet your card was compromised in the Global Payments hack from last week - I haven't heard of Walmart.com being hacked - that would be front page news. 1.5 million cards were compromised from Global, prob got me too.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoogleGuy View Post
I bet your card was compromised in the Global Payments hack from last week - I haven't heard of Walmart.com being hacked - that would be front page news. 1.5 million cards were compromised from Global, prob got me too.
This was a different hack. Not part of Global Payments.

This is from Information Week Security Bulletin for IT managers:

"It's been a busy few days for the hacktivist collective known as Anonymous.
On Saturday, Anonymous released data it had stolen after hacking the websites of CapitalOne and Wal-Mart. According to Anonymous, its data dump includes information on everyone from Warren Buffet and Michael Bloomberg to Monsanto CEO Hugh Grant and embattled ex-Harvard president and former Obama financial advisor Lawrence Summers."
Old 04-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
Roberto619

That hack is old news from last year, and it wasn't Walmart.com that was hacked - it was a vendor and it was irrelevant info - not credit cards. Google "Walmart.com hacked" and you'll see they weren't - too bad you got GOT buddy! Lulz

Old 04-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
temporaryvictim

Exclamation My Walmart.com Account got hacked today

I came across this post while searching for other potential victims.
I got hacked four hours ago. Of course I contacted my CC company and all is good.

But this clearly points to a breach of Walmart.com's servers. My full story is on reddit. Do a search on Askreddit for:
Anyone else got hacked today? Someone broke into my Walmart.com Account and ordered four $50 dollar Walmart eGift Cards.

i can't post URLs apparently.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
Cardstock Collector

It's most def Walmart.com that got hacked. I got taken for a nice Dell computer and 2 hrs later my boss was charged over $900 for an airline ticket, all stemming from Walmart.com purchases. This isn't the first time it's happened and won't be the last.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:13 AM   #7
Cardstock Collector

Default Someone hacked my walmart account too

On 4-21-2012 I got 3 messages from my bank saying some tried to use my debt called from walmart for $598 and walmart turned it down, and they wanted to know if I did that. So today I get a email from walmart saying I left something in my cart. So I look and there is a Dell laptop for $598 and there also is a visa account listed with my debt account,thats not mine. And a mans name from CA and his address. And also when I look in my account under the address book I found another man that is from a different part of CA. Do I need to let the police know? What should I do?
Old 04-25-2012, 02:50 AM   #8
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrocker63 View Post
On 4-21-2012 I got 3 messages from my bank saying some tried to use my debt called from walmart for $598 and walmart turned it down, and they wanted to know if I did that. So today I get a email from walmart saying I left something in my cart. So I look and there is a Dell laptop for $598 and there also is a visa account listed with my debt account,thats not mine. And a mans name from CA and his address. And also when I look in my account under the address book I found another man that is from a different part of CA. Do I need to let the police know? What should I do?
Well, you shouldn't be asking about what to do on here - you should be calling and asking the experts on internet fraud. Start with calling the police in your area - they must have a fraud unit, or access to one. And call VISA and report the strange name/address/card information showing in your account. And call Walmart and report the suspicious activity as well. And call your bank in case you need to change passwords and pins on anything.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #9
Cardstock Collector

Default update

I just did a police report, and I also just got off the phone with Walmart and all they are doing is closing my account. And I ask if they are going to notify the Fraud department and she said no Im just going to close your account. And for the bank they are the ones that told me that some one was trying to use my debt account.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrocker63 View Post
I just did a police report, and I also just got off the phone with Walmart and all they are doing is closing my account. And I ask if they are going to notify the Fraud department and she said no Im just going to close your account. And for the bank they are the ones that told me that some one was trying to use my debt account.
I'm surprised Walmart isn't reporting this to authorities. I would think they'd have a responsibility to do so and not just close your account. Did you call Visa and advise them of the man's name/address/card number that you could see in your profile? If he is a real person, he could be some innocent person who is a victim in all this as well. If this happened to me, and my information was showing under a stranger's account, I'd hope someone would let Visa know so they could in turn contact me and freeze my Visa card Or, he could be the perpetrator. Maybe the police will do that part now that you've filed a report.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #11
Cardstock Collector

Default walmart

The police said they will contact the person on the visa and let them know.