Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 08:08 AM   #1
Pearl-ExPert

Default Ugh - my son just cut his sister's hair

I know it's a rite of passage - I mean every family ends up with a hack job somewhere along the line, right? He cut really close to the scalp in one spot (in the back, thank goodness) and of course I had to cut off quite a bit more to make it look OK. She just turned 3 two weeks ago, and this is her first haircut. Went from soft wispy curls with a side part and no bangs to a pixie sort of thing and bangs.

OK, enough whining If you want to see pics, you can check them out here.
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:11 AM   #2
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

I think she looks adorable.

Been there, took me two or three months to find the hair oldest daughter tucked behind the headboard. Youngest daughter was NOT pleased with new "do,"

Rainsong
Old 01-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
Stampin' Fool

Been there also. My DS was 4 when two weeks before my wedding he went to visit his biological father's family for the weekend. Well, a couple of hours after he got home I realized that his bangs were going at a complete diagonal across his forehead. I asked him what happened and without skipping a beat he tells me that Caleb and Jacob (his cousins) cut his hair so that he would be handsome for the wedding. I almost died.

Well, a couple of hours later I am moving some boxes around (we were moving to Utah with DH after the wedding) and I find this big lock of hair between two boxes. I call him back in and ask him "What is this?". His answer of course was "Hair". I then proceed to ask him why the hair is between the boxes in our house if his cousins cut it (they lived 2 hours away). He rather quickly replies "Oh, I brought it home for you 'cuz I know you like to save things like that".

Finally, I got him to admit that he had cut his hair by himself. I couldn't get mad though because he cut it so that he would "look handsome in the monkey suit (tux) when WE got married."

So, I didn't get mad AND I didn't fix his hair. All the wedding photos show him with a HUGE grin and VERY CROOKED bangs.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to austamper Send a message via MSN to austamper Send a message via Yahoo to austamper

I think she looks adorable and seriously... that's nothing! IT could have been a lot worse.

My cousin and my sister took me in the closet and cut all my hair off except for two pigtails. They wanted me to have pigtails. They cut it to the SCALP!

Not only that... we were having pictures made the next day.

View my BLOG
Old 01-25-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Glitter Guru

Location: Squinting in the glow of the neighbor's sodium-vapor security light

All I can say is that I have a 4.5YO and a 1.5YO (both boys) and I KNOW our time is coming. I just hope one of them cuts the other's hair and not a friend or cousin.

Penny
Old 01-25-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
Pearl-ExPert

Oh no! Been there with 2 out of 3 (so far...) DD did it twice and DS (who is 11) just trimmed his own some last week! Uh, and he won't let me fix it.

I will admit that I remember being 5 or 6 and hearing that if you trim your hair it grows faster....so I trimmed my eyelashes! Yeah...that went over like a lead balloon.

BTW - your daughter is adorable and you did a superb fix-it job!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:18 AM   #7
Stampin' Fool

my Ds#2 cut his bangs right in front/middle of his forhead right before his kindergarten school pictures....
I too can relate. I do think it is a right of passage..... let's hope this is the last time......
Old 01-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #8
Rubber Obsessor

Dd did her own hack job right around the time she turned 4. fortunately i'd taken her for bday pictures before that night. i was so upset with her. she had a cute little bob and hacked a lot off in the bang and over the ear areas. i had a friend who was a hair dresser do the best she could, bought some cute winter hats and kept her in those. then it got long enough to pull one side over and cover the bare spots. ugh. your dd's new cut is so cute on her!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:09 PM   #9
Mad Swapper

My sister is a hairdresser and she can tell horror stories of all the hair that she's been asked to fix!! Yup, a right of passage for sure.

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/XcessStamps
Old 01-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
Polyshrink Goddess

look on the bright side....

scrapbook opportunity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

I just looked at the blog and she looks cute.

and you already have your journaling for your scrapbook page!!
Old 01-25-2008, 01:25 PM   #11
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to harley91

That is what I was thinking--scrapbooking opportunity! She looks too cute! My DD cut her hair and hid it under the chair pad with the scissors when she was about 5--she is now 13. The only good thinikg is that she wa smart enough to cut it on the side by her ear, so it didn't show that much! Memories!
Missy
Old 01-25-2008, 03:34 PM   #12
Die Cut Diva

I can remember cutting off my bangs when I was about 6. It was summer, it was hot, and I just was tired of them. Didn't think Mom would notice....sigh.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:38 PM   #13
Insane Embellisher

My 4.5 year old cut her hair last week. Luckily, it was only one little curl. I found it in the bathroom. We had a big talk about how she is not to cut her hair. If she wants it done, then she needs to ask me first. We'll see how that goes. Luckily my 10 month old is still pretty bald, so there won't be any temptation there at least for awhile. lol
Old 01-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #14
Pearl-ExPert

You did a wonderful job on cutting your dd's hair. She looks absolutely adorable.
Can I come and have you cut mine? (smile).
Old 01-25-2008, 03:56 PM   #15
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

surprisingly, my brothers & I never cut each others hair. My Brother cut his stuffed animal's once that was a riot because, of course, it didnt' grow back. Stupid looking dog, that was.

I believe my baby bro hacked his once, but nothing too major.

However, my fave was when I was 16 and my brother was 12, I gave him a great haircut and mom FLIPPED OUT and grounded me because she felt "he wasn't old enough to decide how he wanted his hair." LOL. It lasted for all of 2 hours before I convinced her I had done an awesome job and then I ended up cutting his hair all through high school and college.

Fun times.

Trish
Old 01-25-2008, 05:43 PM   #16
Stampin' Fool

I did my own!!!! When I was about 4, I had slept with a rubber band ponytail and when I got up before Mom, I needed to get it out and couldn't. So I got Mom's sewing scissors to cut it (and a big chunk of hair). I don't remember Mom getting mad, she was like that, she just took the scissors and cut the rest to match. (No store-bought haircuts for me till I was 9 years old.) LOL
Old 01-25-2008, 06:28 PM   #17
Forum Fanatic

My son has done it a couple times. The most memorable was when he cut off quite a good chunk (two, actually) and taped the chunks to his armpits so he could be a man.

One of my favorite memories.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:40 AM   #18
Kookie Creator

Now THAT is hilarious, Sharon! Very creative son you have

I don't remember cutting any hair, but I was told that I stuck gum in my brother's hair. I was mad at him, and I made sure I smashed in. Mom wasn't too happy about that one.

My other two brothers (who are 10 and 13 years younger than me) used to fight a lot when they were little. I remember the younger one taking a battery-operated car and sticking it on the older one's head. His hair got caught in the tire and a huge chunk (probably close to the size of a quarter) was ripped out of his head. He had a bald spot forever! Honestly, I didn't know if it would ever grow back! It eventually did and you can't even tell now.

I can't wait to have kids
Old 01-26-2008, 06:45 AM   #19
Stazon Splitcoast

She looks adorable! Her hair looks thicker. The bangs are cute!
Old 01-26-2008, 07:03 AM   #20
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via MSN to Missa2U

I use to work in a salon. One day several years ago we had a frantic lady come in screaming histerically. Screaming he cut it all off he cut it all off!" This poor lady was running a day care and while all the kids were suppose to be taking a nap..... one little boy took it upon himself to cut 5 little girls hair. The girls were all wearing ponytails and the one little boy chopped all the pony tails off. At the point of ponytail! She had 5 very upset parents. I'm not sure what happened to the day care lady but I am sure she isn't watchng those 5 girls any more. the children were all about 3 years old.

My oldest boy is 5 and about 2 years ago he dicided to cut his hair. Top of his head right down short 1 bald spot. He told me he wanted to see if it hurt when he cut his hair. Now I have been cutting his hair since he was 8 months old. Of course it wouldn't hurt silly boy. I just tried to blend it and was thankful he was a boy and short hair works.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #21
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't remember having any cutting things happen as a child. However the very FIRST day having my son home w/ his older sister (age 3 & half) she snipped a little piece of his hair off. Then came to show me & their dad & boy was she proud. This whole hair cut happened in about 3 minutes flat of us all getting into the house. We had went to pick her up from Grandmas (she spent first night of us being home w/ new baby w/ her grandparents). He was sleeping so we came into house & sit him down in his carrier car seat. We both walked into the bedroom to put some stuff down in there & hadn't even made it back yet when she was proudly displaying the few strands of hair saying w/ a big grin "I cut Yogan's hair". I at first was mortified then thought she didn't cut him or we'd been hearing him cry. And it was only a few strands. I look at my hubby & say "Well looks like we missed his first haircut". Logan is his name btw but she couldn't say "L"s at the time.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #22
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via MSN to Missa2U

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc1273 View Post
I don't remember having any cutting things happen as a child. However the very FIRST day having my son home w/ his older sister (age 3 & half) she snipped a little piece of his hair off. Then came to show me & their dad & boy was she proud. This whole hair cut happened in about 3 minutes flat of us all getting into the house. We had went to pick her up from Grandmas (she spent first night of us being home w/ new baby w/ her grandparents). He was sleeping so we came into house & sit him down in his carrier car seat. We both walked into the bedroom to put some stuff down in there & hadn't even made it back yet when she was proudly displaying the few strands of hair saying w/ a big grin "I cut Yogan's hair". I at first was mortified then thought she didn't cut him or we'd been hearing him cry. And it was only a few strands. I look at my hubby & say "Well looks like we missed his first haircut". Logan is his name btw but she couldn't say "L"s at the time.

ROFL! This is a wonderful story, all things considering. I am sorry you missed Logans first hair cut! Kids are great!
Old 01-26-2008, 04:58 PM   #23
Watercolor Wizard

LOL!

My son, 6, cut his bangs just last week! I tried to fix them, but our first stop after school was to get his hair cut!
Old 01-26-2008, 10:50 PM   #24
Kookie Creator

A Friend of mine told me the story of cutting her long hair(To her Rear) a week before her wedding at work on the paper cutter.(About 8 inches) I wish I knew her back then!
Old 01-26-2008, 11:30 PM   #25
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Yahoo to dkessler73

I can't remember where I got these crazy scissors from, but they don't cut hair, cloth, upholstery......they only cut paper. My daughter had them when she was little.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:20 AM   #26
Kookie Creator

Default hair cuts

I remember the day I walked into the bathroom to find two HUGE hunks of very blonde hair in the garbage can. DD had cut off both her pigtails because she said everyone kept staring at them telling her how cute her hair was. To the scalp, if they weren't staring at her before they sure were after.:::sigh:::
Old 01-29-2008, 07:44 AM   #27
Mississippi McGyver

The good news about cut hair is that it will grow back. What is worse is what happened to my friend in TX when both of our girls were little. Her two little girls then ages 2 and 4 decided to use vaseline as hair gel. Vaseline doesn't wash out. She tried everything to get it out. The walked around for months with very greasy hair.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:06 AM   #28
Polyshrink Goddess

My son didn't cut his hair, but cut his EYELASHES!! Everyone would say how long and beautiful his lashes were, so he "trimmed them".
It was a hack job for sure, they were all uneven, long, short, gone. I was just glad he didn't poke his eye out!