Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
Glitter Guru

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues
Send a message via MSN to LeahsCreations
Default Trouble shooting the pre-lit tree

We've had this tree for about 5 or 6 years and it's done GREAT. Well, there's a whole strand that is burnt out. There are burned out individual lights elsehwhere on the tree, but this is the whole bottom 5 branches. It doesn't appear that I can easily remove/replace that strand. Am I being a wimp? Can it be done? Where do I get lots of spare bulbs for the rest of the tree?
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-28-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
Matboard Maniac

We have issues with our pre-lit tree every year. Each year it seems that a different strand won't light. One year, I finally had to replace the top most string on the top most piece of tree. Ours has the strands wrapped around the branches and then clipped into place with dark green plastic clips. I took all those clips off, unwrapped the lights and then re-wrapped it with a new strand. I didn't bother using the plastic clips again because by the time I got to that point, I was so frustrated with it that I just wanted to be done.

This year, one half of one string won't light. I went through each unlit bulb, replaced it with one that I knew worked and it still would never light!!! In the end, I just crammed a new string in there and didn't bother removing the half working one, and didn't bother even wrapping this new strand around the branches.

I am so done with this tree!!!

Deborah
Old 11-28-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
Forum Fanatic

Sorry -- but at first I wasn't reading trouble shooting as in trouble-shooting but as in trouble shooting. I was sitting here wondering why anyone would want to be shooting a Christmas tree ... Ohhhhh, now I get it! LOL! No help here, but thanks for the laugh!

Old 11-28-2008, 08:52 PM   #4
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to brightrachel1008

our tree finally had problems with the top lights this year. we tried testing the bulbs, the fuses, the wires... finally took them off the tree. dh got them fixed, but then when i went to put them back on they didn't work again. we ended up taking all of the white lights off of the tree and we're going with multi-colored lights this year.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:16 AM   #5
Polyshrink Goddess

i think i may have the same problem with my pre lit tree ,its about 4 years old and came from walmart ...its a 7 foot one and i love it cos its so fat and full,over here it would cost ,oh i recon a couple of hundred £ to replace so i really want to get the strand working ...i am not feeling so positive now
Old 11-29-2008, 03:40 AM   #6
Glitter Guru

Yeah, between dumping it in a landfill and spending $$ on a new one, I would much rather fix the one I have. Maybe I'll just put a strand of lights over the old strand as posted above.
Leah SCS Member #38898
Old 11-29-2008, 05:57 AM   #7
Matboard Maniac

We bought a prelit tree from Joann's in '04 and part of each section won't light today, so the whole tree will have to be restrung. I was hoping that we would get more years' use from it than this. I am ready to shoot this tree. LOL
Old 11-29-2008, 06:04 AM   #8
Pearl-ExPert

Leah, our 9 ft tree has a burned out strand right in the middle that we'll have to fix next year when we get it out of storage. It's either a bulb (you can buy spares at Target on that back wall with light stuff), but more likely the fuse (also at Target). In the little plug that connects that rung to the next, there should be a place to replace the fuse.

Lisa
Old 11-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #9
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniebean55 View Post
Sorry -- but at first I wasn't reading trouble shooting as in trouble-shooting but as in trouble shooting. I was sitting here wondering why anyone would want to be shooting a Christmas tree ... Ohhhhh, now I get it! LOL! No help here, but thanks for the laugh!
LOL, yeah, same here! "Troubleshooting" -- as in trying to fix something -- is one word.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 11-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by row4d View Post
LOL, yeah, same here! "Troubleshooting" -- as in trying to fix something -- is one word.
Oops.
"Live and learn" is what I always say.
Leah SCS Member #38898
Old 11-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #11
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahsCreations View Post
Oops.
"Live and learn" is what I always say.
lol! don't worry, i knew what you meant!... because it just doesn't make sense to be shooting a tree.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:47 PM   #12
Crimping Master

I had the same problem with mine and after trying to remove the bad
strand and replacing it with a new set of lights only to find that another
one had gone bad ........the man with the big white truck (garbage collector) took it away and I got a new one
at Target last week

I got 4 years out of the old one.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:57 AM   #13
Gabfest Goddess

Wow, every year, after stringing almost 1000 lights on each of 2 trees, I say I'm going to get a prelit tree the next year. After reading this thread, it doesn't sound like it's worth it!
Old 11-30-2008, 05:01 AM   #14
Glitter Guru

Location: Squinting in the glow of the neighbor's sodium-vapor security light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancystamps View Post
Wow, every year, after stringing almost 1000 lights on each of 2 trees, I say I'm going to get a prelit tree the next year. After reading this thread, it doesn't sound like it's worth it!
Yeah, that's why I've avoided them so far. I've got my tree-lighting down to a science and I'll just stick with the fake, but not pre-lit tree (allergic to the real thing).

Penny
Old 11-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #15
Die Cut Diva

I have had problems with my tree every year. They have all come from walmart (I think we are on number 3). Anyway, this year I was setting up the tree I just got last year and a string of lights at the top wouldn't come on. They are the kind that is supposed to work even if one burns out. I replaced the fuses, and made sure all of the lights were in tight and still nothing. I noticed there was a customer service number, so I called it and they said they'd send me out a new top. So I got it, and it didn't fit with my middle piece. Called again, they said okay we'll send you a new middle (not sure if it fits though. I don't feel like undecorating my tree again). Funny thing is, I didn't even fill out the registration that came with the tree to get the warranty. So if you got one at walmart, I'd definitely call them. The number is 1-800-414-3434. Oh, forgot to mention, when I called, they asked me where I purchased my tree, so apparently they aren't just for walmart.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:31 PM   #16
Pearl-ExPert

I thought you were going to shoot your tree, too, lol!!

I bought a prelit 9 ft tree 3 yrs ago, after Xmas, for $75. I know!! I think it was end of January, & the last tree in the store. They probably would have given it to me for free if I'd asked, lol!! It's a slim, which we needed because we were putting the tree behind our couch out of the way of little fingers. Last year one strand wouldn't work, so I left it on but strung another strand on. This year I put up our old one. However, this one is the OLD kind, where all the branches come individually ~~ ugh!! I was so used to just ~~FLIP~~ & plug in, & VOILA!!! This tree is shorter & fuller, but I still want a new tree. Guess I'll steer clear of the prelit, if I'll have to add strands of lights anway. Non prelit are much cheaper anyway!! I just really missed the ease of the hinge today!!!

My gallery
My blog ~~~ Mommy Time
My Etsy shop
Old 11-30-2008, 08:42 PM   #17
Kookie Creator

I have four branches on the bottom of my pre-lit tree not working. DH replaced fuses and bulbs and had no luck. I was hoping to read a miracle answer here! This is the 5th year for this tree. Guess I'll get a new one next year. I really like this tree though. I bought it at Garden Ridge.

Order Avon Today!
Old 12-01-2008, 12:32 AM   #18
Polyshrink Goddess

you know i know that there seem to have been quite a lot of problems with pre lit trees but they are just so darn easy ...i hate the struggle with strings of lights ,getting them even etc etc ,so even if my pre lit one fails i may well still replace with another pre lit ...i may have to hide the bill from the DH tho he would have a fit at the price ..........
Old 12-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #19
Hardware Hotshot

I HAVE YOUR SOLUTION!!!!

We were having problems with the lights we hung outside. We bought all they had of that style & then one part of the lights wouldn't light. DH was so frustrated last night we just quit & walked inside.

Today at Lowes I found a "Light Keeper Pro". It claimed it could fix & repair light sets. All Lowe's Christmas stuff is 50% off so it was $8. I thought for a moment & decided with as aggrevated with the lights as DH was $8 was worth at least a try.

I brought it home & DH looked at it very skeptically. It looks like a gun and you put it over the bulb & pull the trigger to shot an electric pulse through to reconnect the circuit.

I convinced him to at least walk outside & give it a try.

He walked back in 2 minutes later & declared..."You're a Genius!"

It worked!!!!!
Old 12-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #20
Kookie Creator

My mom was just telling me about something like this but it was at Target. I will be looking for this!

Order Avon Today!
Old 12-05-2008, 08:39 PM   #21
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by witty5 View Post
I HAVE YOUR SOLUTION!!!!

We were having problems with the lights we hung outside. We bought all they had of that style & then one part of the lights wouldn't light. DH was so frustrated last night we just quit & walked inside.

Today at Lowes I found a "Light Keeper Pro". It claimed it could fix & repair light sets. All Lowe's Christmas stuff is 50% off so it was $8. I thought for a moment & decided with as aggrevated with the lights as DH was $8 was worth at least a try.

I brought it home & DH looked at it very skeptically. It looks like a gun and you put it over the bulb & pull the trigger to shot an electric pulse through to reconnect the circuit.

I convinced him to at least walk outside & give it a try.

He walked back in 2 minutes later & declared..."You're a Genius!"

It worked!!!!!
oh oh we've got one of these--they're great!
Old 12-06-2008, 03:51 AM   #22
Glitter Guru

Wow - Lowe's is only a mile from my house. I will have to go today i think.
Leah SCS Member #38898
Old 12-06-2008, 04:30 AM   #23
Pearl-ExPert

we got the lightkeeperpro back when we were trying to fix the white lights on the tree.... it didn't work for us. no matter what we did that darned strand of lights just didn't want to work!
Old 12-07-2008, 04:01 AM   #24
Gabfest Goddess

OK, that's it, this is the last time I will string my own lights (wait, didn't I say that LAST YEAR?) I spent THREE HOURS last night getting the lights on my fat, 7 1/2 ft tree. Had to wear gloves so I wouldn't get my hands scraped. Yeah, it looks pretty, but I could have been making CARDS!!! I think I'll risk it and get a pre-lit right after Christmas. We're due...our tree is 17 years old and going bald too.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:10 PM   #25
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEmily View Post
I have had problems with my tree every year. They have all come from walmart (I think we are on number 3). Anyway, this year I was setting up the tree I just got last year and a string of lights at the top wouldn't come on. They are the kind that is supposed to work even if one burns out. I replaced the fuses, and made sure all of the lights were in tight and still nothing. I noticed there was a customer service number, so I called it and they said they'd send me out a new top. So I got it, and it didn't fit with my middle piece. Called again, they said okay we'll send you a new middle (not sure if it fits though. I don't feel like undecorating my tree again). Funny thing is, I didn't even fill out the registration that came with the tree to get the warranty. So if you got one at walmart, I'd definitely call them. The number is 1-800-414-3434. Oh, forgot to mention, when I called, they asked me where I purchased my tree, so apparently they aren't just for walmart.
Well, Emily, since I too purchased my tree this year from Walmart, I took your suggestion a couple of weeks ago and contacted the manufacturer about my prelit tree missing one hinged branch. They responded very quickly and asked a few questions about color codes and model #. They replied that they would send me a new "middle section" immediately. Today when I got home, sure enough, I have an entire middle section of the tree in one box (all I needed was on single branch) and AN ENTIRE BRAND NEW TREE in another box! Even funnier, the box with the middle section is TWICE as big as the box with the entire tree in it. Thanks for suggestion to contact them about the problem. I gues sthis is one company that DOES go above and beyond to satisfy their customers
Old 12-16-2008, 05:39 PM   #26
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftjunkiesc View Post
Well, Emily, since I too purchased my tree this year from Walmart, I took your suggestion a couple of weeks ago and contacted the manufacturer about my prelit tree missing one hinged branch. They responded very quickly and asked a few questions about color codes and model #. They replied that they would send me a new "middle section" immediately. Today when I got home, sure enough, I have an entire middle section of the tree in one box (all I needed was on single branch) and AN ENTIRE BRAND NEW TREE in another box! Even funnier, the box with the middle section is TWICE as big as the box with the entire tree in it. Thanks for suggestion to contact them about the problem. I gues sthis is one company that DOES go above and beyond to satisfy their customers
That's awesome! I'm so glad they were able to help you too. I was really impressed with their customer service. I can't believe they sent you a whole new tree too!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:49 AM   #27
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniebean55 View Post
I read it the same way and wondered if you wanted to get rid of it!

I can't help with your real problem.