Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2005, 12:10 AM   #1
Pearl-ExPert

Default Today Show...GERMS!!

Did anyone see the Today show? They were talking about germs on surfaces in public? I missed some of it, but caught the part about "yeast" and fecal matter.

Is anyone else a germ freak like me? My house isn't perfectly clean, but when it comes to things in public, I sometimes get really disgusted?

What about you?

Things that gross me out:

Public Bathrooms
Movie Theater seats since Oprah talked about "fecal" matter on the seats!!
People coughing and sneezing without covering their nose/mouth
handrails
doorknobs

Am I just a germ freak or are other SCS fans like this???
Old 02-16-2005, 01:15 AM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Yahoo to gamblemom

I hate germs! I won't touch handrails unless I am falling! Don't like bus seats. I flush public bathrooms with my foot.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:33 AM   #3
Pearl-ExPert

Default Me TOO!

I also flush with my foot! First, I get the stall door open, so I can get out fast because they say "germs" fly almost 5 feet when you flush (at least that is what I heard, that is why you should close the lid when you flush!) then I flush and get out of there!
Old 02-16-2005, 02:59 AM   #4
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm a foot flusher too !! My DS has that Stomach flu that is going around and we had to go to the ER last night. Just got back. Poor thing was so sick. I bet you I washed my hands 20 times while we were there!!! If I hadn't drank so much Pepsi I would be asleep, but I'm wired!!!! I hate germs. I think my son brings home everyone of them from school. I make him wash up as soon as he comes in the door, but he still gets them. Then he gives them to his mommy!!
http://michellegruber.stampinup.net
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-16-2005, 03:04 AM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
My DS has that Stomach flu that is going around

I am up with my DS too.He started throwing up at 3:00am,fever 103.5.I was disinfecting everything with gloves on. Now I feel dirty!
Old 02-16-2005, 03:58 AM   #6
Pearl-ExPert

Oh my god, my DH would have a list for you ---

You know that commercial where the mom tries to open the mall door with her elbow to avoid the germs? Yep, you name it I am all over it --

I used to work in the medical field -- need I say more, that knowledge is a dangerous thing -- I worked in the lab where every move you made had a consequence (i.e. you had to make sure you didn't contaminate things, and make sure the specimens you had with formalin didn't contact a counter with bleach or you would have Hazmat teams there LOL) and my hands were raw from washing them all the time.

In the kitchen I just cringe -- if my family could be vegan I would be all set --

My OC regarding germs, LOL:

1) Raw meat and eggs in the kitchen (I wish my family was vegan)
2) Any public place anywhere --- door handles, products, yucko -- we all wash our hands with baby wipes or Purell when we get in the car after shopping)
3) Resteraunts -- We all walk through ucky doors and then sit down and handle our food -- oh yuck -- I have to excuse my self to wash my hands first -- and don't touch the door handle, oh yuck public restrooms is #4, LOL

Oh and don't think hospitals are the cleanest places, either -- someone said that to me once and I almost fell on the floor laughing ----that and the doctors' offices are probably the germiest places around!!Not that they don't clean, of course they do, but they can't keep it bleached 24/7 and there are lots of yucko people / germs that filter in and out!!!
Old 02-16-2005, 04:11 AM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I used to work in the medical field -- need I say more, that knowledge is a dangerous thing

Me too! Medical Assistant for 8 years! Cleaned like a mad woman! Came home and showered!
Old 02-16-2005, 04:41 AM   #8
Insane Embellisher

Let's not even talk about the grocery cart handles!!!! Ugh!!! I pull out a wipee and clean it before I walk around the store pushing it. Especially if my little ones want to push it. Think about that, huh?

I'm a recovering OC Germ Freak. O.kay, my family says I'm not reformed, BUT - I can tell you my daughters have never had the flu and they are 5 and 6 years old. And they rarely get colds. So, maybe it's good genes, but I think it is the amount of hand washing and Mr. Clean I use on all surfaces ALOT.

Just my take, but it is good to see I'm not the only one. My mom just rolls her eyes.

Wendi, SCS Member # 799
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/sahm_i_am
www.wendibrant.stampinup.net
Old 02-16-2005, 04:44 AM   #9
Insane Embellisher

Oh, and buffets at restaurants make me sick to my stomach. The handles of the spoons? The exposed food? The number of times the food has been "handled"? UGH! Although, yes, restaurants rate up there in my "ick" scale. Just can't stand them!

Gee, sounds like I've found a thread I can relate and contribute to. Hmmmm, guess I'm not recovered like I posted earlier.

K, off to clean out the fridge!!!!!

Wendi, SCS Member # 799
Old 02-16-2005, 05:06 AM   #10
Gallery Gazer

Another foot flusher here! My friends make fun of me for my germ-phobia. I won't touch door handles...I either pull my sleeve down over my hand to open the door or use my shirt tails if I have any. I had read somewhere about the toilet-flush-spew and it really grosses me out. The spew can cover everything in the bathroom and float around for up to 2 hours - EEEEWWWW!! Make sure you keep your toothbrushes covered!

My teenage son is a cart pusher at the local grocery. He always wears gloves. I also use wipes before I touch the cart handle.

I won't even get started on how nasty most kitchens or restaurants are! It doesn't help when you see those shows where they go into the restaurant kitchens with hidden cameras! You'll never eat out again!
Old 02-16-2005, 06:33 AM   #11
Pearl-ExPert

Ugggh!!! I never thought of the spoons, etc. at the buffets!!!! I was always "hesitant" because of the ick factor in general, but I still would eat at them, but NOW after thinking how many handle the spoon handles?! Also, I forgot to mention before public telephones, icky thinking of the handle, ear/mouth pieces, etc., elevator buttons (I use my knuckle or my sleeve). I sure am glad I am not the only one that is a germ freak!!

As far as the hospitals go, I always wondered how "often" they clean/disinfect the remotes or the call buttons? My guess is probably not very often!

My oc is also rubbing off on DH, he gets disgusted pretty easily now...thanks to me!! He used to not mind sitting at a dirty table at a restaurant, but thanks to me he "helps" me find the cleaner tables now.

Raw meat...don't want to get sick, so I bring out the bleach!! DH is good at this too, he makes sure he cleans the grill "tools" after touching the raw food. Good boy!
Old 02-16-2005, 06:45 AM   #12
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
public telephones

Aaackkkkk! Forgot about those! Eewww!
Old 02-16-2005, 07:22 AM   #13
Insane Embellisher

Thank goodness for cell phones, huh?

Wendi, SCS Member # 799
Old 02-16-2005, 07:27 AM   #14
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to klm90

Public restrooms in general - I don't sit unless I have protective covering, foot flush, start the paper towels and turn on the water. After I wash my hands, I dry them, turn off the water, and use the paper towel to open the door. Grossed my 7 yo out this weekend when her cousin sat on a public toilet. I got the "big eyes" and "MOM, she sat down!"

I also bleach after raw meat, have different cutting boards for meat/veggies, trade utensils while cooking (raw spoon, cooked spoon -read that somewhere), and just try hard NOT to handle raw food.

Funny thing is, I teach PreK. Lots of germs in here. Hopefully, they will learn my obsessive/compulsive germ behavior! They all sneeze into the inside of their elbows!!!!
300,000 children are affected by arthritis
Please help them
Old 02-16-2005, 07:34 AM   #15
Mad Swapper

What about bars with 'community' bowls of peanuts. Not that I'm a barhopper, but a doctor friend was telling me of a study a buddy of his did in med school--80 percent of the peanut bowls in local bars tested positive for urine! YUCK!

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." ~ Scott Adams
Old 02-16-2005, 08:10 AM   #16
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisastamper
What about bars with 'community' bowls of peanuts. Not that I'm a barhopper, but a doctor friend was telling me of a study a buddy of his did in med school--80 percent of the peanut bowls in local bars tested positive for urine! YUCK!

(throwing up emot here!)
Old 02-16-2005, 08:14 AM   #17
Stazon Splitcoast

Here is something that I was going to post in the thread about smells, but decided not to. It fits here among all the GROSS stuff were talking about.

GROSS OUT TIME: DON'T READ IF YOU HAVE A QUEASY TUMMY!!!!! SERIOUSLY, DON'T READ!!!!!

Do you know what your nose is smelling when you do smell something?

It's minute particles of that substance. Think about it. Remember in science you learned that things have a solid state, a liquid state and a gaseous state? Well, the smell is that substance in a gaseous state - very tiny, eensie, weensie particles (molecules) of what ever you are smelling. GROSS, HUH????

So --

DON'T FART!!!! IT'S UNHEALTHY FOR THE REST OF US!!!!!
Old 02-16-2005, 08:27 AM   #18
Inking Addict

Send a message via AIM to clarke827

since we are talking about germy public places....the balls kids jump in at places like Chuck E Cheese and McDonalds. My Midwife told me a story about her daughter...she was playing in one of those things and about 3 weeks later had a cold sore...she can't swear its from the balls but needless to say she keeps her kids away from them. Video games at the arcarde too
Old 02-16-2005, 08:34 AM   #19
Matboard Maniac

When was the last time you sanitized your office desk or workspace. WHen they clean your offices at night you know they are not.
Many desks test up to 5 times more germs than public restrooms as the restrroms are sanitized daily ( or should be) while your desk never is.

I am not a germ freak or germ aware but this tid-bit amazed me. I try to avoid the whole anitbacterial phenomanon (sp?) Yes when you wsh yoru hands or raw meat is involved, but not everytime someone in the next room sneezes or whatever. My family is realtively healthy. I always kinda laugh wne new kids come to the church nursery. They ones that have germ-finatic parents always get sick. My kids and other moms that I now that back off on the whole germ thing usually have one illness in the fall and one in the spring.

A little germs is good for you bodily resistance, WITHIN REASON of course. I am not saying go lick something gross, just common sense
Jenn
Old 02-16-2005, 08:46 AM   #20
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Converted Germ-a-phobe

My husband worked for a short while in the home medical equipment industry. I am a converted germaphobe now. I travel a bunch for my work and first thing I do after checking is a total wipe down of lightswitches, remote controls the handles for sink/tub, the toilet... you name it I have wiped it down with my Clorox wipes. I also am very careful about the magazines now in Dr. Offices and the inflight magazines. You can't avoid germs totally but you can reduce them We also keep hand sanitizer in the car - especially if we have been grocery shopping etc. You can be extreme about it but also prevention has worked very well for us. No flu this year so far - cracked dried out hands from washing and sanitizing but no flu

The things that make you say eeww!
Old 02-16-2005, 08:57 AM   #21
Pearl-ExPert

We went to Florida over Christmas and I brought Clorox wipes! I also wiped the toilet seat, sink, light switches, the REMOTE!!, and the phone. Those darn TV shows that show all the "icky" things with the black light just really gross me out. I tell me DH not to sit on the bed spread also, who knows what is on that or the blankets! gag. gag.

Don't even ask how many layers of TP that I put down on public toilets! My DH knows it always takes me awhile.

Oh, what about porta-potties!!! If those are the only thing available, I will just hold it! I walked into one and just stood there in shock!! I stood there with my arms in front of my chest afraid to touch anything, soooo gross!! That little "potty" that is on the side of the porta-potty is really disgusting (you know that one for men?!), the one that looks like a little sink (eeewww!) I sure hope no one puts their purse on there while they are using the facilities!!!!
Old 02-16-2005, 09:49 AM   #22
Glitter Guru

Another public germaphobe here...I hate public places and all the germs that they contain. You'd think I sit in a clean home...not really, but then too clean is unhealthy (at least that's what I keep telling myself).

I hold my breath when anyone sneezes anywhere near me. I'm also a foot flusher (a friend of mine dropped her shoe in the toilet just before a client meeting) and a seat paperer - drives me nuts when the fans blow the paper off!

Try to open doors as I'm leaving the bathroom with a paper towel (hate blow dry machines in bathrooms!)

Our neighbor went to the hospital over the weekend with a "mild" heart attack. He was feeling much better, but then ended up with the stomach virus - that he probably got from being in the ER for so long.

My biggest skeezy thing is hotel/motel beds - they don't wash the blankets and bedspreads often (if at all) - GROSS!!!! I don't like sitting on anything in a hotel room other than the (hopefully) clean sheets on the bed.

<--Wishing I was cruising (Caribbean Princess, May 2010)
Old 02-16-2005, 09:51 AM   #23
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
That little "potty" that is on the side of the porta-potty is really disgusting (you know that one for men?!), the one that looks like a little sink (eeewww!) I sure hope no one puts their purse on their while they are using the facilities!!!!
Old 02-16-2005, 09:57 AM   #24
Embossing Fanatic

I hear you all and am with you-yuck to all of it! I'm sure everyone reading this who knows me well, thought of me and laughed. They have removed the ball pits in Chuck E. Cheese and the McDonalds around us. From October-April, we stay away from certain "Public places." I know people laugh at me, but hey-we've been extremely healthy from year to year. The ball pits.....not to gross any of you out more, but I met a gal that works at a McDonalds and she related what the female and male employees do in them after hours(can you even imagine!?) Sorry, but I thought I'd definately pass on the info. I hope it's not overstepping any boundaries. I would definately want you to pass the info to me if the roles were reversed. On a lighter note-you are all AWESOME. I love this site!!
Old 02-16-2005, 10:48 AM   #25
Stazon Splitcoast

Just a question to all you germaphobes: Do you ever enjoy the holidays you take away from home? Just wondering.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:59 AM   #26
Embossing Fanatic

I've gotten way better-for my kids sakes. I used to bring my own comforter to the hotel and strip the bed(s) when we got there. I would throw the comforters in a pile in the corner or the best place possible and cringe if the kids went on them, much less touch them. I have learned to relax. I watched a show with the blue light and hotel rooms(I wish I NEVER would have seen it!) However, I recently saw another show and they said NONE of the "germs" were enough to make anyone ill. We are off to Disney this spring and YES, I've already thought about the hotel room. My goal is to let the kids be kids and not say anything about the sqeemishes I usually waste my breath stressing about. Wish me luck!
Old 02-16-2005, 11:01 AM   #27
Rubber Obsessor

Funny story!

This is about my sister so I hope she is not on SCS right now.
Anyway we were in Union Station in Chicago and they have those nifty seat protectors that rotate protective covering over the toliet seat. The thing is that you need to push the button BEFORE you sit down. I am a germ freak so I loving the protective cover and yes I pushed the button with my shoe. Anyway I hear my sister in the next stall saying "oh no". She thought that you pushed the button AFTER. So she was sitting on a dirty toliet seat. Oh my gosh we laughed so hard.

Cris
Old 02-16-2005, 11:13 AM   #28
Matboard Maniac

thank you for brightening my day. This thread has just cracked me up. Don't get me wrong I am a clean freak. I to saw the show on hotels and using the lights. It was gross and every time I go to a hotel I can't help but think about it. But some of these stories are hilarious especially the one by rita and the smells. I am still laughing and quite grossed out at the same time.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:14 AM   #29
Mad Swapper

Do any of you worry about "resistant" germs from using all these germicides?

And I'm a foot flusher, but that's about as germ-a-phobic as I get. I mean, I flush with my foot then what do I do? Open the door with my hand...that someone else has touched after taking care of their business!
Old 02-16-2005, 11:20 AM   #30
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresrita
Just a question to all you germaphobes: Do you ever enjoy the holidays you take away from home? Just wondering.
I still do enjoy the holidays that we take away from home! I am just cautious or "aware" about certain things and it doesn't interfere with our vacation. On a serious note, I did have OCD pretty bad when I was younger, but now that I have gotten "older" I am a lot better (partially thanks to "drugs")!

Anyone else consider their concerns OCD?
Old 02-16-2005, 11:29 AM   #31
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via MSN to qcbetty

Apparently, one of the worst is bowling balls. Those finger holes are LOADED with fecal matter........eeeew!

Railings (especially escalators) are terrible. It's why I carry hand sanitizer in my purse at all times.

Of course......money is terrible too!! I mean for being dirty...not for having/using it!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Old 02-16-2005, 11:54 AM   #32
Insane Embellisher

I'm a germaphobe too. I worked in a hospital lab for more than 12yrs. I have an Associate in Science and now plan on going back to school until I finish med school. I have handled and processed(in different ways) many specimens. I have tips for you that noone has mentioned.

HANDWASHING:
If you use the crank handle paper towel dispenser, get your paper towels(2) before washing your hands.
1. Start water.
2. Soap up hands singing abc's while lathering. This will guarantee a long
enough scrubbing time for general purposes.
3. Dry hands with paper towels.
4. Turn off water using papertowels.
We did an experiment in Micro with handwashing. I was amazed that even rinsing with water took a lot of bacteria/viruses were removed with water alone. One of my exboyfriends/coworkers, who's a lab director now, use to make fun of me for washing my hands so much.

If children play on any equipment in resteraunts, or even touch seats or tables before you clean them, use hand sanitizer before they touch food or drink. I don't let mine get up and down to go play for the simple fact that they can pick anything up from the people who were there before.

Hand sanitize after touching packs of raw meat in the grocery store. If you can bag the meats. Be sure to hold bags with one hand while picking up meats with the other.

With all this said, what my mother use to say is true,"A little dirt, never hurts." When we use antibacterial stuff all the time, we are also killing the good germs that kill the bad. While working in the hospital, I was the healthiest I've ever been with exception of the first 3wks. I think I became immune to so many things.

Things that have been said:
Sneezing- If someone sneezes in your direction, turn your head. Hold your breath, then go wash your face. When someone sneezes the mist goes very far, can't remember the distance.

Clorox wipes are WONDERFUL! I wish they'd make them in a convenient travel size container.

Handsanitizer- "We also keep hand sanitizer in the car - especially if we have been grocery shopping etc." Don't put it just in your car. Put it in your purse. Think, you've just handled all that food, then touch your keysand everything in your purse looking for the keys, then your car door, glove compartment if you keep the hs in there.

Cutting boards- You are supposed to have two. klm90, good job. Many people do not realize this.

I am probably the worst, mixed with my ocd. Can you imagine? Knowledge can trully be a dangerous thing. I'd probably be a much happier person if I didn't know about all the baterium and viruses.

mary h.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:18 PM   #33
Inking Addict

I have worked in the banking world for 9 years, and money is by far the worst. Think about how many people have touched it.... drugs; they say every bill has a trace of some drug on it. Some sick person who has wipped their nose on their hand or hasn't washed after using the bathroom has used the bills. Or they stuck them in their mouth while digging for a pen in their purse, (seen it done, yuck!). And coin is horrible too! My hands always feel so dirty after holding coin! Whenever I have counted a large amount of cash, my hands are black and dirty after. It is gross! Thankfully I do loans now, so I don't work that closly with cash anymore. And I use my debit card so I don't have to let anyone touch it!

I am a foot flusher too. And I use TP to open the door to the stall. And a paper towel to turn the faucet off, and to move the paper towel thing and to open the door....

Years ago I worked in the medical field so I am totally grossed out by germs. People just gross me out! It is hard working with people sometimes. Here is something really gross... you have been warned! A few weeks ago, a little girl was sitting at my desk picking her nose... and she wipped it on my desk and left it! Oh man... I have a supply of clorox wipes and lysol in my desk from costco thankfuly but EWWW!!!! My favorite thing is when people say they stayed home sick so they are out getting stuff done. Do the public a favor... if you are sick stay home!

EWWWWW!!!!!! I am grossed out just thinking about this stuff!

"Don't worry about anything; instead pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done" Philippians 4:6
Old 02-16-2005, 12:20 PM   #34
Stampin' Fool

Default I was wondering when...

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbetty
Apparently, one of the worst is bowling balls. Those finger holes are LOADED with fecal matter........eeeew!

Railings (especially escalators) are terrible. It's why I carry hand sanitizer in my purse at all times.

Of course......money is terrible too!! I mean for being dirty...not for having/using it!
I was wondering when someone was going to mention money! As a former banker, my finger tips would be covered with the nasty stuff, by the end of a few transactions. Thank goodness for antibacterial hand gel. Someone told me that most money even tests positive for traces of cocaine and other drugs, blood too. Thank goodness they burn some of it and start fresh. IIICCKKK!
Old 02-16-2005, 01:08 PM   #35
Insane Embellisher

I forgot about the money thing. I use encourage checks from customers for this reason. Do any of you? I have my children so freaked out about germs that when my daughter finds money on the ground, she brings it home and washes it. Even has a brush to scrub it. I know picking it up is bad, but she doesn't do anything before washing her hands after our walks/outings. She will not step foot in a portapotty. Funny how your children pick up your phobias too.

Just think, for every one of us, there are at least 10 of those other people.

I used to tell people who got grossed out by my lab history, "think of all those who handle money every day." Not even realizing the drugs and blood on it, but the sick people who've touch it and those who don't wash their hands. EEWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

mary h.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:26 PM   #36
Forum Fanatic

Man, I'm so glad I'm not a germ freak (you guys called yourselves that, I mean no offense). Too stressful. By the way, doesn't stress make you more succeptible?

As for public toilets, I saw a show one time and they had a doctor on their mentioning that your chances of "catching something" from a toilet seat are VERY low, unless you put your private parts (the parts with the internal access and fluids) on the seat itself. So unless you do that or have open wounds, you are okay to sit. And I do. But I always wonder if the person in the stall next to me is doing the uncomfy-squatting thing.

Oh this has been a fun thread. The imagery is hilarious.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:26 PM   #37
Cardstock Collector

Okay, I'm getting the creeps and feel like I need to go take a shower!
Old 02-16-2005, 01:49 PM   #38
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via AIM to AmandaK

I am not a germaphobe at all...in fact, you guys would all want to kill me if you saw how laissez-faire I am about this kind of thing...but I'm enjoying reading this thread! My mother (passed away some time back) was a TERRIBLE housekeeper. She was a depressed 20 year old Feminine-Mystique era housewife who was lonely, bored, stuck w/three kids in a trailer, no help from my dad, you know the 70s story. Anyway, our house was really disgusting when I was a kid! Plus, our trailer was on my grandparents' farm...so when we weren't in a dirty house, my sibs and I were out playing in fields full of animals, their byproducts, and all their germs. I don't even recall how much bathing we were required to do...not much. I think I spent all my early years grubby and wearing nothing but a diaper.

So, to get to my long rambling point...my way of rebelling against my parents was to become very clean and tidy. BUT, I never think about germs per se...because, not only are my brother and sister and I always totally healthy, we have no allergies either! I can't believe it, but it's true! We must have been exposed to every germ going and then some! So when my little one gets a Cheerio off the floor, I laugh and think, hey, if I survived Mom, these will survive me.

Amanda
Old 02-16-2005, 01:55 PM   #39
Polyshrink Goddess

I work at home, so germs from offices don't really affect me. My DH works for a company that handles laptop computers and he does all kinds of testing on them. So these computers are always being passed around from one person to the next. He always has caught people not washing & then handing these back to him. He said even the elevator buttons are bad. He buys hand wipes & sanitizers from costco at least 2 times a month.
Shannon #4236
Happy Stamping

"Remember it took you a while to put the weight on, so it's going to take a bit of time to come off, so be patient."

Started WW on 04-23-05
down 25.2.:)
I made my 10%.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:22 PM   #40
Polyshrink Goddess

what grosses me out is the TOTAL obvious....while waiting for a child or friend in a public restroom - I've noticed sooooooooooooo many people (yes even adults) who do not WASH their hands after coming out of a stall.....they just go out the door & then I guess contaminate everything they touch (including themselves) .............................ewww