Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Pearl-ExPert

Question Tips, suggestions for trip to Boston?

My husband and I want to take a trip to Boston. I'd prefer to walk to areas of interest if possible, otherwise we'd take a cab (we'll be flying). History is our main interest, and I doubt my husband would want to include any sports on this trip.

Traveling frugally is wonderful, but convenience ranks higher most of the time. Any tips or suggestions for places to stay, sites to visit and anything else about Boston we need to know? We'll probably go in early spring - but I don't know the weather so I don't want to chance hitting a snow storm that would cancel our trip. Thanks for any advice because I'm clueless!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Kookie Creator

My daughter lives in Boston so I make several trips up there each year. My number one tip is comfortable shoes, and if you aren't used to walking, start walking now! Take one of the Duck Tours - they are great fun and very interesting. Go to the Skywalk Observatory at the Prudential - you can see for miles. Don't bother renting a car - cabs are easy to hail on just about any street, and you do NOT want to drive in Boston traffic. The Freedom Trail is free and has all of the great historical places, but it's a LONG walk. And be sure to take in some of the shows. All the ones I've been to have been fabulous. Be sure to eat at the Union Oyster House - it's the oldest restaurant in America and the food is great (make reservations). Legal Seafood also has wonderful food. If I think of more things, I'll post again. You will LOVE Boston!
Old 02-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
Compulsive Stamper

If you come the end of April or early May then snow should not be a problem.

I saw that you live in south carolina. I'm not sure where you are but the flights from myrtle beach using spirit air are by far the cheapest. My inlaws live in MB so we fly there all the time.

I would stick with a hotel chain. The sheraton has a nice hotel that is attached to the prudential. It is walking distance to copley and newbury street if you like shopping. The long wharf Marriott right near faneuil hall is nice too.

I would definitely take one night to have dinner in the north end and visit mike's pastries. You must have reservations if you want to eat anywhere in the north end for dinner.

you can get pretty much anywhere with the subway. Just make sure that you check the schedules because some run less frequently or not all all on weekends and holidays.

Unless you want to see the marathon AVOID patriots day weekend in April!!! The city is crazy crowded and you can not get anywhere because of street closings.

I know you said that you were not planning any sports outings but I must admit that redsox games are one of my favorite things to do. Especially if you can get tickets to an afternoon game in the spring.

Visitors | City of Boston is a good website that has information about the parks and historic sites in the city so you can plan your trip
Old 02-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
Pearl-ExPert

Wow! Thank you both for the info! We will most likely be flying out of Charlotte (NC), or Greenville (SC), but I will check the spirit air prices just in case it's a big difference!

Thanks for hotels, sights, etc. And the subways are safe...that's great to know. That's exactly the type of info I am seeking. This is very helpful. I'm all ears if anyone else has suggestions.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
Polyshrink Goddess

Even if you don't attend a Red Sox game, the tour of Fenway Park was fantastic! But my family loves to see all of the different stadiums around the US, especially if we can catch the SF Giants' away games! Being able to hang out in the dugouts, lockerrooms, press boxes, etc is a really neat experience.

Other things we did in Boston included walking a good portion of the Freedom Trail. Many sites along the way to see--Quincy Market, Paul Revere's house, etc. We also did a harbor boat tour. Really cool to see the skyline from the water. And you can get off halfway to see the USS Constitution up close. We took the subway in from our hotel in Cambridge a few times, and it was fine/safe.

Check out Trip Advisor and see what people have rated as the top attractions around town. That is my main way to get information about cities we are planning trips to. And Google Maps is a lifesaver when mapping out what order to do things in.

Have a great vacation!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
Cardstock Collector

Freedom Trail is a must-do, and I also second the Duck Tour. There is so much to see and do! Fanueil Hall and Haymarket Square are also favorite shopping destinations We live an hour away from Boston, and visit frequently (although we bring the kids to places like the aquarium and the Museum of Science, both awesome!) another great attraction: the Museum of Fine Arts! Even my kids love this!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

I third the Duck Tour! It's fabulous! Walk the Freedom Trail and make sure you go inside the Old North Church. Visit Fanueil Hall. You don't need to but anything but you can window shop. Lots of street performers too. Tour the USS Constitution.

The tour of Fenway Park is alot of fun too.

Visit Sam LaGrassa's for one of the best, if not THE best, deli sandwich you'll ever eat. Guy Fieri featured in on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives.

Testimonials, Sandwiches, Sam LaGrassa's World's No.1
Old 02-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #8
Cardstock Collector

I went to Boston a couple of years ago, but the weather was very cold and windy... so we spent a lot of time indoors and looked for places to go and do something for our wellness anyways. There are a couple of Spa Places in Washington Street - they were great just to come down and return fully relaxed. PLUS: that was the first time they showed me how to use blemish balm which I'd never want to miss again! So, I think no matter the weather It'll be a great time - Especially when going on the Duck tour

Last edited by OneMinute; 02-22-2013 at 08:07 AM..