Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Southern Sparkle
  • 1 Post By stampwithjoanne

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
Rubber Obsessor

Default Tipping - Who do you tip?

Just wondering ... I'm involved in a "tipping" discussion where some people think everyone should be tipped (grocery clerk, gas attendant, mailman etc.) and others believe only waiters/waitresses/bartenders/hairdressers/groomers and paper carriers should be tipped. Who do you tip and why?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

I personally tip waiters/waitresses and my hairdresser. I shop at the commissary so I tip the baggers. I will tip hotel/motel maid, car attendant, taxi driver-just took one in August , Holly Cannoli are they expensive!

I have never tip paper carrier-I only receive Sunday delivery or mailman-
Why mailman????

"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Compulsive Stamper

I think tipping expectations have gotten a little out of control.

To me, if you provide an extra physical service to make my life easier, exceed your basic job function, or your occupation dictates a lower salary based on the expectation of tips (below minimum wage), then yes. A grocery bagger? No, unless you load them in my car.

A mailman? Heck no. They get compensated handsomely with extremely generous benefits and retirements. Delivering mail is their main responsibility. Doesn't mean we can't show them some extra love on their birthday or holidays

I'm not loving the tip jar at the end of a food line trend. You're 18, get paid at or above min wage to make a sandwich, and provided no personal service. Umm, no.
MrsStack79 likes this post.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

At the commissary baggers do not get a pay check. They work only for tips! They do load your car up too!

"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
CBC Lady Violet

I tip waiters/waitresses and my hairdresser. I tip taxi drivers only if I have luggage and they assist me with it. I do not subscribe to a newspaper these days; but when I did, I did not tip, though I gave something at the holidays.
As for the mailperson, I have left them a gift in my mailbox, clearly labeled "For the Mail Carrier", for the past three years (different small gift every year, like thing of chocolates, with a card attached that had a gc inside to a local coffee chain) for 2-3 weeks in December. The mail carrier has refused to take it every year and it has just sat there. So this year, I don't intend to bother.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
I tip waiters/waitresses and my hairdresser. I tip taxi drivers only if I have luggage and they assist me with it. I do not subscribe to a newspaper these days; but when I did, I did not tip, though I gave something at the holidays.
As for the mailperson, I have left them a gift in my mailbox, clearly labeled "For the Mail Carrier", for the past three years (different small gift every year, like thing of chocolates, with a card attached that had a gc inside to a local coffee chain) for 2-3 weeks in December. The mail carrier has refused to take it every year and it has just sat there. So this year, I don't intend to bother.
The postal service has rules about allowing their carriers and employees to accept gifts. Here is a link:

Tipguide.org - Tipping Etiquette Guidelines

Your carrier probably didn't want to potentially get in trouble for taking the nice gift that you left for them. I found this out when I tried to personally hand a gift to my mail carrier last year when she was delivering my mail.

I also tried to give a handmade journal to a friendly, helpful checker at my local Walmart market recently, and she said they are not allowed to take gifts from customers, and she didn't want to "get in trouble."

I can see that large amounts of cash would be suspect, but really - a handmade journal? I guess Walmart thinks folks will "bribe" the checkers to sneak stuff into your sack without ringing it up.

I had no idea that giving gifts might create problems for people.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 11-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks for the postal tip guidelines, Annette. I looked it over and it seems fair. I usually put a little bag of goodies (candies) in the mailbox on Christmas Eve. The only other tipping I do is waiter/waitress and hairdresser. But I tip them each time I go, not just at Christmas. If I got a newspaper, I would put a little goodie bag in for them as well.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Sparkle View Post
I think tipping expectations have gotten a little out of control.

To me, if you provide an extra physical service to make my life easier, exceed your basic job function, or your occupation dictates a lower salary based on the expectation of tips (below minimum wage), then yes. A grocery bagger? No, unless you load them in my car.

A mailman? Heck no. They get compensated handsomely with extremely generous benefits and retirements. Delivering mail is their main responsibility. Doesn't mean we can't show them some extra love on their birthday or holidays

I'm not loving the tip jar at the end of a food line trend. You're 18, get paid at or above min wage to make a sandwich, and provided no personal service. Umm, no.

I agree it's out of control. The one I think is interesting is at the Starbucks. It takes them 10 min. to punch in my order into their computer, repeat it back to me (God help me if I am getting more than one item!)..........and then the tip jar is sitting right there in front of me. Tip them for what? I don't get it. Umm. No.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
The postal service has rules about allowing their carriers and employees to accept gifts. Here is a link:

Tipguide.org - Tipping Etiquette Guidelines

Your carrier probably didn't want to potentially get in trouble for taking the nice gift that you left for them. I found this out when I tried to personally hand a gift to my mail carrier last year when she was delivering my mail.

I also tried to give a handmade journal to a friendly, helpful checker at my local Walmart market recently, and she said they are not allowed to take gifts from customers, and she didn't want to "get in trouble."

I can see that large amounts of cash would be suspect, but really - a handmade journal? I guess Walmart thinks folks will "bribe" the checkers to sneak stuff into your sack without ringing it up.

I had no idea that giving gifts might create problems for people.
Re: problems. I tried to give my UPS guy a $50 dinner card for a local, favorite restaurant. He delivers stuff to my door daily, re-arranges his schedule and gets to my house early if anything needs a signature (so I can get out the door and get to work), etc. etc. He told me he wasn't supposed to take any gifts. I eventually convinced him to take it. He deserves a bit extra!
buggainok likes this post.