Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 03-24-2015, 01:02 PM   #121
Forum Fanatic

So many things of interest on our conversation - Lela, thank you again for starting this.

Glad everyone's health and mental state seem to be better. Big warm hug to you all.

LM TBD = To Be Determined

Lela - safe travels and lots of fun with your family

Shellie - Supper Saturday sounds like a lot of fun but a busy, busy day for you. Hope you made good money at the flea market. I love PJ days with TV. It's good thing I DVR most of my shows because PJ day also includes frequent napping. Oh, and it also includes anything chocolate that might be in the house.

Cathy, I'm going to the stamp convention on Saturday with my besties but we haven't set our time yet. At the first of each year I reserve the convention and the Scrapbook Expo on my calendar so I won't book anything on those dates.

Gail, I've lost long messages so many times that I've started copying the message half way through so I don't have to start over. One would think I'd learn, but nope, I'm sure to do it again.

I never wanted to be a SAHM. I love my son but I'm not really a kid person. Now that I'm an empty nester I'm looking forward to retirement.

I find that being a Proj Mgr fits me perfectly because even though I always do the same kind of work the projects and customers are never the same. I would be bored to tears if I had to do repetitive work.

A poll would be good but we need a category for a mix of scanner/divers or is there a special category for people like me? hmmm...mixed nuts? buffet? Potpourri?
gregzgurl and beaddict like this post.
Unread 03-24-2015, 06:00 PM   #122
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I did decent at the flea market. Net somewhere around $70. Didn't sell nearly as many of my Easter Treats as I thought I would though. I'll post pictures in my gallery soon.

I love to cook, especially for my friends and family. I was a caterer for a short time a long, long time ago. I just got burned out and it was robbing me of my joy of cooking so I stopped. For the most part. I will usually do a couple small jobs during the holidays to earn some extra cash to buy Christmas presents.

I was thinking earlier about sharing a mini bio so here goes:

I grew up in the Ann Arbor area of Michigan. Moved to California when I was 16.
Met my husband at the end of our senior year in HS.I knew within hours that I was going to marry him someday. After many attempts to coordinate and two years we FINALLY went out on a date. Between the time we met and our first date, he enlisted in the Navy. We kept in touch via letter and phone calls.

In 1988, I gave up my job and moved to Virginia where he was stationed. Not quite a year later we got married. Our engagement lasted 28 days
He served 20 years and retired from the Navy in 2006.

We have 4 fantastic children. Meghan-25 (the newly engaged one), Chelsea -23 (she's on the autism spectrum), Austin -20 (he is pursuing a career in youth ministry), and Jerod -16 (he's a Lego and X-Box gaming fanatic).

I've had a penchant for creating things my entire life (well, you know, since i could hold things in my hand and make them work).

I love to draw although I'm not super great at it, I also dabble with painting and I crochet and sew but my big creative loves are beading and stamping. I spend most of my time going back and forth between the two.

I listen to music ALL day. I like about 95% of all music genres and listen to everything from Italian rock (no, I don't understand what they are saying) to classical music. I played the violin for 10 years and am sort of learning the guitar.

My favorite band of all time is Fleetwood Mac and I had the privilege of seeing them in concert last Fall. All other concerts I go to from here on out will be compared to Fleetwood's and so far none of them have come close to being as good The Fleetwood Mac concert. I was AMAZED at how much energy these late 60-early 70's aged artists had. I'd sleep for days if I expended as much energy as they did in those 3 hours.

My favorite foods are shrimp, prime rib, bacon, raspberries and popcorn. If I could eat nothing else the rest of my life, I'd be content with these five things.

That is all.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 03-25-2015, 07:45 AM   #123
Stazon Splitcoast

StampHappy…Thanks. I should have know that! (TBD)

Shellie… Glad you made some $$ at the Flea Market. Please let me know which Flea Market you go to and when the next one is so I can come and see you there (and buy something from YOU!) I can't wait to see the pix you upload to the gallery. I so appreciate people who post in the SCS Gallery. Thanks for your Bio too.

Shellie is the only one here that I have actually met face-to-face, and actually the only SCS person I have met. So I am really looking forward to us all getting together!

I also like PJ days. My husband has one night a week where he goes straight from Work to a Bible Study, and doesn't get home until it's the "appropriate time" for PJs. So if I don't have to go anywhere on that day, I stay in my PJs all day! (I check to make sure there are no neighbors out when I run out to get the mail. LOL!)

I have also written long detailed messages, only to have them to disappear into Cyberspace with Control Z and the back-arrow not working. I agree…frustrating!

My Bio:

I have been married 37 years to the same man. We have 2 children, both in their 30's and married. Our oldest is a son, and our youngest is a daughter. She has our only 2 grandchildren so far (5-year-old granddaughter and 2-year-old grandson), both of whom I absolutely adore.

I am also "retired" and and empty nester. I retired at age 52 because HP laid me off. I put, "retired" in quotes, because I keep quite busy with volunteer work and I drive 2 1/2 hours to babysit my two grandchildren for three days every other week.

I loved to do crafts when I was growing up. Then with college, raising kids, and working outside the home I didn't have any time for too many years. When I "retired", someone invited me to a SU Stamp Camp and I was "hooked". I have mostly made cards, since the idea of scrapbooking all the pictures from the last 37 years of marriage and raising kids is too overwhelming for me. However, once my first grandchild was born, I decided to start a Scrapbook for her and do 1-2 pages a year of our special times together. I have kept that up, as well as one for my grandson. I am enjoying it, and it does help use up those extra DSPs and Embellies I have collected over the years. I also make 3D goodies for my grandchildren for most of the holidays. I also started knitting when I "retired". I enjoy it too, but enjoy paper crafting much more.

I am loving getting to know each of you a bit more through our conversations on this thread.

LM

If you would like to see my cards, please click here :-)

Gallery updated Aug 2, 2017
Please join us in our 2017 Bible Verse Challenge
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Last edited by LMstamps; 03-25-2015 at 07:50 AM..
Serenity_Stamper likes this post.
Unread 03-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #124
Proud Fan Club Member

Great bios, Shellie and LM! Mine would be a mini-novel so, unless there is a burning interest in being bored to tears, suffice it to say that I've moved 32 times in the past 23 years (NY, CA, NY, CA, TX, UT, NY, NV, NC, NY, NV, and within those states, too) and had 24 jobs in the same time period, ranging from school photographer to remote encoder for the postal service to waitress to upholsterer to co-owner of a gift shop to freelance decorator/finisher.

All of that is my "second life" after my divorce. In my first life I was a SAHM to my six great kids - Jason (38, married, two sons and a daughter), Alicia (36, divorced, one son), Rebecca (34, divorced, one son), Jessica (32, single), April (30, divorced, three daughters), and Jennifer (28, single). Paying child care expenses was not a viable option and I had no desire to do anything else, anyway, as I already said...

I had only known my first husband for ten days when we got engaged, and three months when we got married, and I really didn't know him at all - especially because he was NOT who he presented himself to be. You live and learn and try not to repeat past mistakes, and current hubs is a keeper

I grew up in California, went to school for a brief minute in Utah, then moved around with first husband for awhile. He wanted to be a rock star (totally has the talent for it, too self-sabotaging to make it work, although he got close several times), so we even lived in a modified school bus for a time with our two oldest children (who were six months and 2 1/2 years old at the time), along with his manager and her two boys (ages 9 and 11) and my husband's cousin (other half of the duo) while they toured the Northwest (lounges - mostly in airports and hotels). They formed a band and moved to California, which is where I was when I divorced. Went to New York to visit my sister, met my current husband, who is the coolest guy EVER!

My mom never taught me to cook, but she did teach me to sew, which is waaay better! I made most of my clothes when I was in school, made almost all of my kids' clothes when they were young, and supported myself off and on with various incarnations of sewing (alterations, upholstery, etc.).

I've been doing art of some kind forever. I won a county art contest in sixth grade for a painting of Idyllwild and sold one of my first oil paintings to a counselor at my junior high school. I've done tole painting (even had my own scroll saw) and some watercolor, but haven't painted in years until recently - I painted a triptych for our dining room (acrylic on canvas), and it reminded me of how much I love painting. I plan to do more of it in the near future. I have five canvases and two pads of watercolor paper, so... I also was an avid cross-stitcher for quite a while, but my eyes and attention span are worse now, so not so much anymore...

The first concert I ever attended was Led Zeppelin, so I lean towards the hard rock/heavy metal end of the spectrum on one hand, but love Crosby, Stills and Nash and James Taylor at the other end. My oldest daughter keeps me musically informed on current stuff, and I like most of it (no gangsta rap, please). I used to live in my car and had the radio on all the time, but the past few years I've tended towards silence. I mostly live in my head now...

That last statement is something I'm currently working on. I tend to plan and dream and ponder, but moving into action and following through are harder for me - back to the "choosing among the available options" thing again. I truly envy those with a "passion" for something - how wonderful to be so focused and enthused! As one of my daughters said once, "I'd be unstoppable if I could just get started"!

My favorite food changes daily/hourly, but I do enjoy potatoes in pretty much any form you care to present. Jelly beans are a weakness (Starburst, please). I'm a coffee snob, but not in the usual way. I don't care where it comes from (HATE Starbucks, actually) as long as it's a tasty treat (not burned or bitter). Denny's is the worst, the diner on the Onondaga reservation outside of Syracuse is the best. Aside from coffee, water is my drink of choice. I only mention that because I had a long-standing addiction to Dr. Pepper and I'm proud of myself for breaking it

There! Aren't you glad I gave you the CONDENSED version?!?! I guess even THAT is a mini-novel...sorry if I bored you to tears...

Lela - your Prima girls are lovely! I haven't inked mine up yet, but it looks so fun!

Pauline - my favorite job to date was as administrative assistant to the director of Ambulatory Care at a hospital in Syracuse, for exactly the reason you stated. It was the same "job", but my day-to-day was entirely different. He was involved in so many different aspects of health care and on so many committees and everything that I was a Girl Friday/beck-and-call person and had to fly by the seat of my pants a good deal of the time - thrilling!

Any/all of you: I really, really don't want to punch a time clock again but I really, really need an income. Any thoughts on how to generate something sustainable teaching classes or something? Or how to get started? Or any other thoughts that come to mind? I'm open to anything and everything, and thanks in advance!

Last edited by gregzgurl; 03-25-2015 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: clarification
Serenity_Stamper likes this post.
Unread 03-25-2015, 08:55 AM   #125
Forum Fanatic

Love the bios - TFS (thanks for sharing)

I was born and raised in Redding, CA. Stupid girl got married at 18, divorced 23, remarried at 25, 1 son, divorced at 32. Now with Dave (life mate - please no more marriages for me since I seem to be bad at it) LOL. Dave and I have been together 28 years. He has a son and daughter. My son (34) has a wonderful wife and 2 adorable 8 yr old twin boys.

Lived in Redding, Reno, back to Redding, Sacramento, CA and now settled in Folsom, CA that is about 22 miles from Sac. We thought about moving out of State but we're CA people all the way.

I started cooking around 12, used to love to cook but now I just want food to appear. I really like party cooking as I love to entertain. Learned to sew about the same time and made all my clothes and my son's clothes. I made my sister's wedding dress, I still have beading nightmares. I also did a lot of machine embroidery but I stopped sewing in my 30's but I want to start quilting.

I love to garden. I always dabbled in crafts but nothing stuck stamping/paper crafting.

I have a passion for puppies but don't have a dog and don't want one. I just babble over other people's dogs and post puppy pics on facebook.

Fav food - BBQ, chocolate, Mexican and Chinese, and fruit. I like plain home cooking - fancy/gourmet is not my thing. All road trip breakfasts must include country fried steak and eggs. LOL
_______
Sue - is there a adult learning center where you could offer classes? In our area we have the Learning Exchange that offers a wide range of activities and the libraries offer classes. I know of people who teach at the library. I don't know what kind of money you could make but you have a lot of hobbies so maybe there are some things that you offer.
_________
Some of you have mentioned that you might want to get into mixed media. I've talked with other people that want to do MM but they don't care for the "abstract/messy" look. I'm kind in the same boat, the bold drawings and kind of weird faces are just not my tastes. So I just wanted to let you know that MM doesn't have to be that kind of art. It's really about mixing new elements into your stamping. I believe stampers have always been MM because we water color, paint, stamp, etc. I've attached a simple MM piece that incorporates water color, stamping, modeling paste, stenciling, and doodling. It's MM but pretty subtle other than the bright colors. Hope you enjoy : )
Attached Thumbnails
color-burst-pink-sample.jpg  
gregzgurl and Serenity_Stamper like this post.
Unread 03-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #126
Proud Fan Club Member

Love your style of mixed media, Pauline! I've seen a few of your other pieces, and I could see myself doing something along those lines...

I have considered teaching classes in a continuing education setting, and I even looked into teaching at the local Hobby Lobby. They basically just provide a classroom and you keep all of the class fees, if you charge them. The downside is that the ONLY advertising they do is inside the classroom itself, and I didn't even know that there was one until I inquired about teaching, so I doubt that it gets much traffic. They don't even put sample boards outside of the room to alert you that anything is coming up - makes no sense to me at all...

Anyway - I'm doing my usual "I have one hundred and six ideas in my head that I want to execute RIGHT NOW" thing, and need to get at least a few of them on paper before they're gone - I think a couple might actually be viable!

I had another session with the job people today - an online in-depth look at how the company works (think "Go to Meeting"). Next phase is a "homework assignment", which will be graded by the head of the design department. If I pass that round I'll meet with the local owner to see if we're a good fit - so far all of the assessments/interviews/online presentation have been with the national guy located in New York City. Further bulletins as events warrant...

Unread 03-25-2015, 07:20 PM   #127
Full of Malarky

My bio is pretty boring! Actually , not that much , but the basics, yes. Met my husband at my workplace when I was 20 , we started dating when I was 21, got married 18 months later, when I was 22 1/2. First son arrived 18 months later, second son arrived another 5 1/2 year after that. Born in Manitoba , moved to Vancouver when I was four, lived here in Vancouver all of my life - love it here! I've been married to the same great guy for just about 32 years. Eldest son is working and lives on his own, says he is not interested in the responsibility of a girlfriend or wife , at least at this point in his life. Younger son just moved out to his own place which he was able to purchase, is a software designer for a large telecommunications company and he is marrying his fiance in July of this year. She is a teacher here in Vancouver. We have had 2 dogs over the years and now we have our little dog, Poppy. She is the daughter we have never had. I don't expect any grandchildren soon, as the younger son and his fiance want to work for 4 - 5 years before having a child. His fiance will be happy to work part time eventually.

Busy couple of days for me, - better go!

Unread 03-25-2015, 07:38 PM   #128

I got sucked into MM videos all day. Not intentionally. A friend shared a link on FB about ways to use alcohol inks and that led to a video about ways to use them (most of which I already knew about) but then that video turned into another video and so on....

I managed to make myself and the kids a yummy dinner (boneless, skinless southern fried chicken). It was YUMMY! As much as I love to cook, my cooking mojo flies out the window during tax season when Chris works until 9 or so at night. We (I) rely heavily on convenience foods and restaurants between Feb 1- April 15th. The kids were very happy.

I just watched Lydia's video about her craft room re-organization and have gotten inspired to go downstairs and deal with some things I've been avoiding.

TTFN!
Unread 03-26-2015, 06:59 AM   #129
Stazon Splitcoast

Debi...We have a few things in common. I also met my husband at work. We had our first born 18 months after we were married. The youngest of my 2 children got married first. And I was born in Canada, Vancouver though, not Manitoba. LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzi333 View Post
My bio is pretty boring! Actually , not that much , but the basics, yes. Met my husband at my workplace when I was 20 , we started dating when I was 21, got married 18 months later, when I was 22 1/2. First son arrived 18 months later, second son arrived another 5 1/2 year after that. Born in Manitoba , moved to Vancouver when I was four, lived here in Vancouver all of my life - love it here! I've been married to the same great guy for just about 32 years. Eldest son is working and lives on his own, says he is not interested in the responsibility of a girlfriend or wife , at least at this point in his life. Younger son just moved out to his own place which he was able to purchase, is a software designer for a large telecommunications company and he is marrying his fiance in July of this year. She is a teacher here in Vancouver. We have had 2 dogs over the years and now we have our little dog, Poppy. She is the daughter we have never had. I don't expect any grandchildren soon, as the younger son and his fiance want to work for 4 - 5 years before having a child. His fiance will be happy to work part time eventually.

Busy couple of days for me, - better go!

Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Serenity_Stamper and debzi333 like this post.
Unread 03-26-2015, 07:00 AM   #130
Stazon Splitcoast

I have my 5-year old granddaughter staying with my for a few days. She is so much FUN. We will be crafting together, but I won't be working on any my projects...just doing fun stuff with her. LM

Unread 03-27-2015, 04:52 PM   #131
Full of Malarky

LM, that is amazing, what we have in common. What State do you live in now?

Pauline, your mixed media is gorgeous!

Shellie, it's so easy to get sucked into the you tube vortex! My sister was just telling me about how she went on you tube to look at glass making. She has taken a couple of glass blowing classes, just very introductory ones and while she does a lot of the work , the actual proffesional does the " blowing of the glass ". Now she is really quite interested in glass making and the process and said she spent hours watching videos of glass making!

And - I got a big order today, so I will be able to remain an SU demo! I'm happy about that!

beaddict, Serenity_Stamper and LMstamps like this post.
Unread 03-28-2015, 05:31 AM   #132
Stazon Splitcoast

Deb,

I live in California. My parents moved down here from Canada when I was 4. My younger two siblings were born here. But we used to go up to Vancouver every other year for two weeks in the Summer when I was growing up, so I have very fond memories of Vancouver. Whenever I go back, the border people say, "Welcome Back" since my Passport shows I was born in Canada.

So glad you received a Big Order and get to stay a Demo.

LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzi333 View Post
LM, that is amazing, what we have in common. What State do you live in now?

Pauline, your mixed media is gorgeous!

Shellie, it's so easy to get sucked into the you tube vortex! My sister was just telling me about how she went on you tube to look at glass making. She has taken a couple of glass blowing classes, just very introductory ones and while she does a lot of the work , the actual proffesional does the " blowing of the glass ". Now she is really quite interested in glass making and the process and said she spent hours watching videos of glass making!

And - I got a big order today, so I will be able to remain an SU demo! I'm happy about that!

debzi333 likes this post.
Unread 03-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #133

What's everybody doing over the weekend?

I'm hauling myself and the "kids" to my nephew's engagement party today. They are getting married in November.

I hardly left my house all week. Just took the boy to school in the mornings. I did have to go buy dog food at one point and lastnight I went to the gym and did my workout. After that I went to my GF's house and she and I shared a bottle of champagne, and some cheese, crackers and nuts while enjoying her new patio furniture and a fire in the fire pit. It was a nice relaxing evening

Well, time for me to clean the rest of the flea market stuff out of my truck (Yep, it's been in there all week) and hose my truck down. She hasn't had a proper bath since October but I figure I should clean her up before the engagement party. I don't have time to actually wash her with soap so a good thorough hosing is all she's going to get.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Unread 03-28-2015, 08:45 AM   #134
Stazon Splitcoast

We have to meet my Granddaughter's parents half-way to her house to return her today. Half-way is San Francisco though, so we will meet them at Golden Gate Park and have a picnic with them and her little brother before we drive back home.

Tomorrow is Church. Then probably pick up the house since I didn't do anything to the house while she was here...i was having to much fun playing with her and taking her out about.

Wishing all of you a great weekend!

LM

Unread 03-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #135
Full of Malarky

It is really warm here today! DH is at work all weekend and I'm off to walk the dog soon - as it may rain later in the afternoon.

LM, oh those Canadian Border folks can be nice! But, sometimes not!

Unread 03-28-2015, 03:34 PM   #136

Well hells bells.
We are late getting to the engagement party. I went and got us in an accident on interstate 680. Fairly major fender bender. We are okay but my truck is not. And for some reason my eyes keep leaking.
My husband is here and we are waiting for the tow truck to arrive. On a good note, it's a beautiful sunny day with a nice breeze so I'm sitting on my truck watching the people in the cars driving by, watch me.
Unread 03-28-2015, 05:39 PM   #137
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaddict View Post
Well hells bells.
We are late getting to the engagement party. I went and got us in an accident on interstate 680. Fairly major fender bender. We are okay but my truck is not. And for some reason my eyes keep leaking.
My husband is here and we are waiting for the tow truck to arrive. On a good note, it's a beautiful sunny day with a nice breeze so I'm sitting on my truck watching the people in the cars driving by, watch me.
Well damn - what a shame. So glad you are ok but your poor truck. After something like that it's no wonder you have some leakage. Sending big hugs.

I spent a few hours this morning refilling all my Copics - it's such a boring tedious job but most of them were on the dry side. Week before last I refilled my ink pads. Boring...

Ran some errands and visited some garden centers. With this draught I'm into succulents instead of annuals. I ordered some succulents online and now I need some pots and a bird bath to plant them in. I'll do that tomorrow after I finish my taxes. I don't think I'm going to do much stamping over the weekend and next week I have a proposal to do for work that will suck a lot of time.
Unread 03-28-2015, 07:56 PM   #138
Crimping Master

Glad you are ok.

Had a workshop last night and found out my hostess is moving to the Bay Area so no more workshops with her. ��

Just got home from a friend's engagement party. I love a great spread of appetizers. Totally my way of eating. Tomorrow we will be packing. We are spending the week over in Bodega Bay. I plan on taking my Project Life stuff, some traditional scrapbook stuff and my Scan n Cut. I hadn't done any scrapbooking for several years and am way behind and in January got 25 pages done while over there for a week. Don't think I will get that many done again this time but my goal is 10-15.
Unread 03-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #139

Send a message via Yahoo to Serenity_Stamper

Hi everyone - greetings from Bloomingdale, Il.

Beaddict, sorry to hear about your accident. So glad you are ok.

Pauline, I have been playing with my Copics a lot and I am at the point where I need to start refilling them. I am loving them more and more. I just found a great chart mapping Su colors and copic colors. That will make the copics easier for me to use. I did take a course in the logic of the numbering system of the copics but I think that a lookupmchart will be helpful for me.

Debzi, glad to see you around. Hope you are still recovering nicely.

LM, how was your picnic? Sorry I can't commit to an earlier group stamping time than Octboer . I book myself pretty heavily. I just know that one thing missing from my life is a world card making day celebration ... And I was thinking it would be pretty nice to spend a celebration with you all. If you guys want to get together before then, please please do

Cathy, I am glad you are getting some family time and some Project Life time. Sorry to hear that your hostess is moving. It is funny to me that you, me, and my sister all wanted changes at the same time for that swap! This might be my last swap - we'll see. I don't want to be constrained to Su current only.

Sue - thanks for prompting us to share more about ourselves. I will write more next week when I am back. Good luck with your job searching adventures.

Gayle, I hope you had an ok weekend. It's very cold and rainy here (outside chicago) and I imagine the weather to b e similar to yours.

I'm having a beautiful week with my family, and it will be very hard to leave. Mom's celebration was beautiful. And it's great spending time with sisters. We all stamp, and had a shoebox swap on Saturday. We are also working on invitations for Christmas time. My mom and sister host an annual cookie exchange, and they send out handmade invitations each year. For 2015, the invitation will be a card in a box (explosion card) made using the Graphic 45 "12 days of christmas" suite of papers. I've been busy, making 30 box bases for them. They get to finish out the fun "explosion" part.

Talk soon. My kind blessings,

Lela
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Last edited by Serenity_Stamper; 03-29-2015 at 05:00 PM..
Unread 03-29-2015, 05:04 PM   #140

P.s. That picture is my mom of course, celebrating her 85th birthday. The cake was made by my step niece - cake decorating is her hobby. The cake was not only SO beautiful - it was so moist. And the frosting was whip cream. It was so good!
debzi333 likes this post.
Unread 03-29-2015, 07:36 PM   #141
Full of Malarky

The cake and your mom both look lovely, Lela!

Unread 03-30-2015, 02:54 PM   #142
Stazon Splitcoast

Lela...What a sweet picture of your Mom! LM

Unread 03-31-2015, 05:36 PM   #143

So, got to see another photo of my grandbaby-to-be this morning! They got to watch the baby move around a bit! Yes, I realize that I sound like the first person ever to be a grandma, but it IS exciting!

Last week was a SU! party Thurs (out of town). I am feeling ... tired.
Still haven't unpacked the boxes.

Need to do dishes before dd comes back tomorrow night - she's been out of town chaperoning the youth group! I feel like a teenager with a messy house!
Unread 03-31-2015, 07:20 PM   #144
Proud Fan Club Member

Sorry about your accident, Shellie - I hope things are mending (trucks and nerves and all...)!

Lela - that is a great photo! It sounds like you had a really nice time, and the cake looks wonderful, too.

Gail - interesting what motivates us, isn't it? "Back in the day" I used to pretend that my MIL was coming to visit if I wanted to get my house REALLY clean! Also, cranking the Led Zeppelin helped, lol. And it IS exciting to be a grandma, so you're entitled!

Cathy - I'm so jealous! I wanna go to Bodega Bay... Oh - forgot to tell you before - my stepdaughter just got back from Italy! She went with her mom and her mom's boyfriend and one of her good friends. She'd been wanting to go back since she spent a semester there in college (something like 15 years ago). She brought me a millefiori glass necklace and earrings (Il Doge) - red and gold and very pretty.

I spent the weekend and part of today working on my "homework assignment", and the other part of the day making my grandkids' Easter treats so they can go out in the mail tomorrow.

And that's about it for me right now! Have a good night!

Unread 04-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #145
Crimping Master

Greetings to everyone from Blow-dega! That's what we call it since we have 25-30 mph winds all day. As I indicated, I brought over Project Life and scrapbooking stuff. Guess what I forgot - my trimmer! And I cannot cut a straight line. So much for getting all those pages done. Walks on the beach in the mornings before the wind kicks up and afternoons reading are going to have to suffice. Gosh, I have a rough life! Ha ha!

Sue, your necklace sounds beautiful. My sister went to Italy a few years ago and brought me home a piece of Mirano glass. I need to read more about the history.

Gail, I often do not unload and put away supplies from workshops for a couple days. The orders go in and then I don't feel like going in there for a day or two. The clutter finally gets to me and I put it all away. Grandmas are entitled to gush. I can't wait to spoil my grand babies but since Cassidy is only 21, I'd like several more years to go by before she has children. First we need to get her home to Sacramento!

Lela, since we haven't heard much from you, I am assuming you are having a good visit with your family. Mine all live close by other than Cassidy.

Shellie, I hope you are still okay after your accident. Those soft tissue injuries often don't show for a day or two so I am hoping you are still good.

Pauline, the subdivision over here only allows drought tolerant plants so there are a lot of succulents. I have never liked ice plant but some of the others that are over here are really cool. We just replaced the siding (originally the HOA didn't allow paint to staining of the wood) since the shingles had worn thin. The works totally trampled a large area and we are talking about replacing with succulents and grasses.

Off to the hot tub with DH! Have a good day everyone.
Unread 04-02-2015, 05:40 AM   #146

Oh a soak in a hot tub sounds wonderful! Ours is on the blink. It's an older model and DH is not finding the part he needs to repair it.

I have returned from Chicago and I am immersed back into life. Insomnia and all - i rarely get insomnia but there is a lot going on at work right now. Every day at work my insecurities come out (feelings), and I am gratefully working on this as a growth opportunity to accept myself and not worry so much about being perfect, or about what others think of me.

Gail, first I am sorry for spelling your name wrong . Second, I totally identify with not wanting to unpack. I have moved my luggage so many times this past week i never want to see it again. And yet, all my stuff is still in it!

Cathy, I have started using the SU! large scissors for more than fabric and ribbon. They cut a nice straight line, and they feel like cutting through butter. I hope you have a great trip. Sometimes it's nice to even unplug from crafting, although I always go through withdrawals if I can't do it for too long. When do you return? Can you use your scan n cut to cut the straight lines you need? I still want to take you up on your offer for a tutorial - I've used it some but there are a lot of gaps in my understanding of it.

I received the Peacock Paisley collection from HeartFelt Creations, and it is so beautiful. I also ordered their flower shaping tool and I hope to play with that too. DH and I don't celebrate Easter so this will be a quiet weekend for us. I hope I get to play and create

Sue, I've been trying to catch your blog postings. Your Easter treats for this year, and your photos of the past, are super sweet! I also really enjoyed your tour of your organized stamp area. Good luck with your assignment for your job pursuit.

Shellie and Deborah, I hope you are recovering nicely.

LM, what are you doing for Easter? I hope you get time with the family

Pauline, I identify with work taking center stage and not allowing time for crafting sometimes. That is my week. I hope you get to play soon. Seems this is optimal gardening time. Hope you are getting to play outside too. DH and I took our yellow Lab -Princess Nikki- for a walk yesterday and it was lovely outside!

I will remember to reply with my bio answers also. I love chocolate, that's a fact.

Did I miss anyone? Peace to you also

Kind blessings,

Lela

Last edited by Serenity_Stamper; 04-02-2015 at 05:46 AM..
Unread 04-02-2015, 10:17 AM   #147
Crimping Master

Lela, a couple years ago, I got the full size scissors with my rewards pointsand immediately sent them back. They are only right handed! Oh, if I don't mind dents on the side of my thumb, they work. Demo support was great about letting me send them back at their cost since there isn't a mention of that in the description and I chose something else.

Ended up filling up a bunch of project life pages and wrote a list of titles that I want to make with the SNC. We have friends arriving this evening so today will be my only day to get something done. We come home early on Sunday because we have a Kings game at 6 pm to get to.

A more detailed bio is forthcoming for me too. I want to get on a computer where it is faster to type than my iPad. The wind hasn't come up yet today so it is GORGEOUS out here! We are truly blessed. Hope that all of you have a blessed day today as well.
Unread 04-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #148

just typed my bio. And it disappeared.

Excuse me while I go cry somewhere. Definition of my day.

Unread 04-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #149

Aw Gail, so sorry! I really hate when that happens.
Lela, sorry work is messing with your feelings. It can be challenging to overcome our feelings sometimes.

The one time I was near Bodega Bay it was windy as all heck. I'll never forget, it was trying to blow me over.
Gail, I can only imagine your excitement about becoming a grandma. I'm looking forward to being one myself some day.
I haven't stamped at all this week. I've been playing with my beads. I hope the photo shows up. I'm using my phone to post this.
I'made working on another one that I plan on wearing on Sunday. I'll try to share a picture if it when it's finished.
The one thing about spending so much time beading is that it makes my neck hurt something terrible. Time for some drugs and heat therapy!
It's funny about the scissors, I'm a lefty but have never been able to cut using lefty scissors. Ever. I can sometimes cut with regular scissors using my left hand but not nearly as well as with my right hand.

I think I'll take a break and watch an episode or two of The Voice. There is some good talent this year.

Unread 04-03-2015, 04:24 PM   #150
Full of Malarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballmom View Post
just typed my bio. And it disappeared.

Excuse me while I go cry somewhere. Definition of my day.

Oh Gail! I bump things too! Sorry you were having a bad day and I hope today is better. I'd love to read your bio! Try again soon!

Unread 04-03-2015, 04:33 PM   #151
Full of Malarky

Just thought I'd check in and say hi and Happy Easter to everyone!

I had lovely day yesterday - had to do a bit of shopping at the mall -not usually my kind of thing - but I ended up meeting up with my recently moved out son and my daughter in law to be. We looked around the registry area the store that she has registered at , and it was quite fun to see in real life what flatware etc she and my son have in mind. She has suddenly taken a fancy to Royal Albert China - teacups and saucers' and cake plates, which I find quite fun, so I purchased 4 tea cups and saucers and some small plates in the same line. We plan to mainly give a cash gift, but it's so fun to see the joy on her face. Of course, my son plays it cool, but he allowed me to give him a hug in the store without running in the other direction. I like the idea of being able to visit and think - oh those teacups they are using - I had part of that. I know for me I remember each and every gift I got for my wedding and who it was from - so I hope that will be the case for my son and his fiance.

Beautiful beads, beadaddict! My sister is kind of into beading and now glass making!

I have not worked on any cards this week, but I place an order into My Favorite Things and while I was a little taken aback at the total, I later realized I'd accidentally ordered 3 die cut things, rather then just the one! And they go with a particular set of stamps, so it's not like I can just gift them out. Oh well - either I'll consider seeing if I can I can return them , or I'll just chalk it up to well, a mistake on my part. Sigh!

I have an order from Stampin Up waiting for me to open up -but I'm trying to convince my husband it is just part of a large shipment that is coming for a friend of mine!

Lela, maybe my mantra should be don't try to sneak packages past my husband! :P I am getting much better and he loves to shout " your contraband arrived" to me.

Last edited by debzi333; 04-03-2015 at 04:38 PM..
Unread 04-03-2015, 06:22 PM   #152
Forum Fanatic

Hi all - I'm behind on reading and responding but I've enjoyed all the posts so I'm sending a big hug and understanding on it all. Kind of a lazy response but I've fried all my brain cells with work stuff. I'm working on a response to Request for Proposal (bid) that required a ton of technical writing. I'm going to whine while I drink some wine

I didn't make Easter cards - in fact I haven't really stamped all week - too fried

Sister decided to come to Easter dinner and I wasn't planning on having a special dinner.

Chasing ducks out of the pool multiple times a day - duck pooh is so nastyyyyy

Had to give an unplanned presentation - did you hear me tap dance?

Family decided this was the week to catch up - 4 3hr phone calls - love them all but not all in one week.

OK - I think's that's enough whining - I really am blessed that my life is easy but today I'm tired... looking for the couch now : )
gregzgurl and beaddict like this post.
Unread 04-03-2015, 06:26 PM   #153

Lazy Friday night for me too... I'm back in California but my body clock feels like I'm still in Chicago. I am proud that I bought some hiking boots today and took my dog for a walk. I need to train for a hike at the Crater Lake Rim (Oregon) in August. I will savor all the bios tomorrow, and write mine as well. Huge stamping hugs, Lela
Unread 04-03-2015, 06:28 PM   #154

Oh, something to ponder. I ordered a stamp today ("Wonderful World")... And came across another one that I couldn't pass up. It was a haiku that said:

"Mountain-rose petals
falling, falling
falling now....
waterfall music"
Basho

I loved it but I'm not sure what it means. What do you think? And what is a mountain-rose?

Last edited by Serenity_Stamper; 04-03-2015 at 06:32 PM..
Unread 04-04-2015, 08:59 AM   #155

Happy Easter weekend ladies!

Deb ~ it's great that you were able to share the registry experience with your son and soon to be DIL and gift them some of the things on their list. In a couple of weeks I'll be heading to my daughter's and staying with her and her fiance for a week or two. She and I are going to look at wedding dresses and hash out some wedding invite designs. I'm very much looking forward to it.

Chris borrowed our friend's truck yesterday and went up to the place our insurance company has it stored.We still has some things in it that didn't fit in his car when he came to pick us up after the accident. We have yet to hear any official word about repairs vs. total loss. Unofficial word, based on my description of the damage, is that they will be writing it off as a TL I'm really sad at the thought of not having my truck anymore. I LOVE my truck. It's roomy, comfy, and utilitarian all in one.

Today, the kids and I are using public transit to go to the movies. It's been a long time since I've used the transit system. It should be fun though. If only it were as cheap as it was 26 years ago). I remember we could get a day pass for only $1.25. Unlimited rides/transfers within the day. Now that same thing is $6 per person. We don't need unlimited rides today so we will just pay to get to the movie and then come home.

We'll have to head to church early tomorrow. I was asked to coordinate the food/setup for the Easter reception for church visitors. the kids are gonna be cranky about that idea. They've gotten used to our later Sunday Schedule that we've been doing. If we had more than one vehicle at the moment it would be non-issue, but it is what it is

Time for us to head out. Have a wonderful rest of the weekend!

Shellie
Unread 04-06-2015, 06:12 AM   #156

Hi you guys. I hope you had a beautiful weekend. We don't celebrate Easter, so we had a nice quiet weekend. I had some much needed "cave" time yesterday - this phrase is from the book "Men are from Mars , Women are from Venus." The book talks about how men need to go to their cave and unplug from everything. I've adopted that phrase for me too!

ComCast was down most of yesterday so I limited my time online (used my phone data rather than wifi data). So I didn't get to savor everyone's bios like I want to. I read them all briefly at the time of the posting, but I really want to go back and take my time with them. And to write mine.

I spent yesterday doing mixed media art journaling. I think I am really finding my voice. I don't know that I will ever be a Dina Wakely or Teesha Moore, but I am trusting my inner voice more and I am liking what I am creating. Pauline, I agree that a lot of mixed media and art journaling is chaotic. Many times my pages are also.... I am learning to sometimes accept that as practice and expression, and I am learning when/how to take my time and work until I find a composition that is pleasing. It's quite a journey to learn how all the mediums work together.

I've been using up my Blendabilities with abandon. I've heard that Copics work in mixed media, but due to the cost I have been hesitant to test that out too much. I have ruined SO many pens and markers, and I just didn't want to do that with my Copics. Anyway, with the Blendas I figured - I've got nothing to lose. Even if by some miracle the product line comes back - they are not refillable AND I'm not sure their shelf life anyway. And they are actually quite dark - I struggled with that for cards but they are the perfect strength for mixed media!

I had gained weight over the holidays - just 3 pounds but I am very sensitive due to Weight Watchers. I somehow managed to lose weight when I went to Chicago, so yay. Also I resumed meditating this morning, another yay. And I hiked a couple of times over the weekend.

I'm a bit stressed out at work - working on some things that are difficult for me right now. So i am trying to do all the right things to have my head and spirit in the game and at my best.

Pauline, I hope you were able to rest. Shellie, I hope your Easter came off ok logistically, despite your car troubles. And I hope it was a beautiful day for you and your family. Gail, sometimes I write my post in an email or other editor, then copy/paste into a window. Another thing I will do is create a partial post, submit it, then come back and edit it. I'm sorry you've been struggling.

How is everyone else?

Wishing you all a beautiful Monday and a beautiful week...

Lela

Last edited by Serenity_Stamper; 04-06-2015 at 06:18 AM..
Unread 04-06-2015, 06:22 AM   #157

Deborah, about sneaking things past your husband.... I had a friend who bought a full set of pots and pans one time. She kept them in her trunk, and snuck one new one in at a time. Hilarious. I hope you are feeling better, it sounds like you might be!
Unread 04-06-2015, 06:23 AM   #158

Shellie, your necklace post was beautiful! I imagine beading takes a lot of patience, and great eye sight. I see the parallel to rubber stamping - it's all about colors, patterns, and details. Thanks for sharing!
Unread 04-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #159

Thanks Lela I've been beading for well over a decade. For the longest time I focused on what is referred to as "stringing". Stringing is the most simple form of jewelry making. You string beads onto beading wire in an attractive pattern, add a clasp and you're done. But the whole time I was doing stringing I found I was drawn to those little tiny (seed) beads and would find myself staring and fondling the strands of them at bead stores. I would almost always buy a couple of hanks of beads but then they would sit and sit and sit and then I would incorporate them into a strung design. I'd purchase beading magazines that showed these beautiful but intricate pieces of jewelry and was instantly intimidated at the thought of even trying something like that.
It wasn't until YouTube became a huge mecca for how-to videos that I finally dove into off-loom bead-weaving. I discovered that it wasn't as intimidating as I thought and that part of what intimidated me about most of the directions in the magazines was the way they were written. I'm a very visual learner and after learning some things via video I came to the conclusion that most directions in the magazines were written for people that already knew a little about what they were doing and not for newbies like me. There just weren't enough pictures to go with the directions. I can now follow directions in a magazine without too much issue. While I sometimes enjoy using some other designer's patterns I am trying to focus more on creating my own. I am a lousy technical writer though so I don't often create tutorials for others to use. I sometimes have a hard enough time understanding my own notes when I'm working out a design.

So, yes, this type of beading does require patience and decent vision but I find it to be very cathartic and if I could I would bead 24/7

I have a small, portable project with me at all times. I use a SU wood-mount case, to keep a little bead mat, my beads/needles, and a sticky mat to keep my seed beads from rolling around.
gregzgurl likes this post.
Unread 04-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #160

Pauline, how did your RFP go?