Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 03-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #81
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Gremlins are actually staying in their dark dirty caves today. I'm just allowing myself to become overwhelmed with all the final prep I have to accomplish before i leave the house at 5:30ish. I did reschedule on necessary but not overly urgent task to tomorrow so that give me a little bit of breathing room. Gracious me, I hope the crowds are out at the flea market tomorrow!

Have great weekend everyone. You probably won't hear from me til Monday. My weekend is that busy.

TTFN
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
gregzgurl likes this post.
Unread 03-20-2015, 12:42 PM   #82
Full of Malarky

Just a quick post. I still have to go back for at least one more antibiotic IV treatment. It is getting better, quite a bit, but the doctor does not feel things are good enough for me to off the IV antibiotics as yet. Maybe tomorrow?
So I am feeling better, but not 100 %. Thanks for the healing vibes and prayers.

gregzgurl and Serenity_Stamper like this post.
Unread 03-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzi333 View Post
Just a quick post. I still have to go back for at least one more antibiotic IV treatment. It is getting better, quite a bit, but the doctor does not feel things are good enough for me to off the IV antibiotics as yet. Maybe tomorrow?
So I am feeling better, but not 100 %. Thanks for the healing vibes and prayers.
Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery.

We had snow today.

Snow in March is not unusual, but the weather has been abnormally warm, grass starting to grow, so this just yucky. And today is supposed to be the first day of spring.
Unread 03-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #84
Proud Fan Club Member

Yeah - upstate New York is like that, too - you think spring is coming because you get a teaser warm spell, then more lake effect snow and all of that nonsense! I can't tell you HOW GLAD I AM that we moved to the Las Vegas area in the fall - I've been warm all winter

Deborah - glad to hear that things are improving!

Shellie - I hope that the crowds are out (and in a spending mood) tomorrow, too!

Just got back from one of those major grocery store runs - haven't done anything but a quick grab-and-go for weeks - and can I tell you that I just really detest that particular task? I'd rather clean the bathroom, almost... I did grab some Crayola colored pencils to play with and see how they perform, so there's that (looking for silver linings, and all)...

Unread 03-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #85
Forum Fanatic

Can't visit - just a quick Hi! I have to make swaps for tomorrow and I haven't a clue what to do with the layout I selected.

Pauline
Unread 03-20-2015, 03:33 PM   #86
Crimping Master

I am probably "new" to most everyone here as I have never posted much here on SCS. I recognize each of you as I do read most threads, just don't post as much.

Background: I have been a demo for 8 1/2 years. I am in Stella MacKay's downline. Several years ago, she began local Downline meetings but also invited other demos in the Sacramento area which is how I met Lela. Lela and I have used each other for that extra foot of ribbon, two more buttons, etc., that we may need for a swap or class.

On a personal note, I am married to an awesome guy who retired in January. I manage rental properties from home as well as SU. We have a 21 year old daughter who went away for college in Bozeman, Montana. She is no longer in school and now works full time in a bank. We have a second home in Bodega Bay and spend as much time over there at the beach as possible. We have a Brittany who is a silly dog and lots of fun.

Well, that's me in a nutshell. Will have to update my avatar as that is our daughter getting a kiss from a dolphin years ago. Will find a pic of me so you all know what I look like.

I look forward to getting to know all of you. Where does everyone live?
Unread 03-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #87

Send a message via Yahoo to Serenity_Stamper

Hi everyone. It's so sweet getting to know everyone better.

Sue - still sending good mojo about the job! I wish California would consider a tax credit for mindful lawn practices. What a great idea. I'm going to go look in your gallery to see your challenge participation. I participate when I can. This is how crazy my today has been - I didn't even yet look at the Mixability challenge for today.

Cathy - I am learning some things about you that I didn't know! I hope you have a good time with DD this weekend.

Deborah - sending you awesome vibes as well. I am glad you are feeling better, and I hope your healing continues nicely.

Shellie - good luck this weekend!!

Gail - great to hear from you. I am headed to Chicago where I hear it will snow Monday. I think it is in the 70's here in CA right now.

Pauline - are you going to that shoebox swap that I am on the dist list for? I have a commitment every third Saturday. But honestly, I have commitments many weekends. There has not been one time that I have been able to attend in the last six months What swap did you decide on? I love your art work.

Blessings, Lela
Unread 03-20-2015, 05:00 PM   #88
Full of Malarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballmom View Post
Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery.

We had snow today.

Snow in March is not unusual, but the weather has been abnormally warm, grass starting to grow, so this just yucky. And today is supposed to be the first day of spring.
Not snow, sorry Gail. Well, I guess my brother and family also got snow today!

We've actually had very pleasant spring, but if it helps to know, today was a "extreme rain warning" day , and yesterday it really poured, at least as I was out to the hospital and - I felt well enough yesterday to get a bit of grocery shopping done - but it was really raining!

Yes, gradually getting better, but still feeling pretty weary.

Unread 03-21-2015, 05:54 AM   #89

It's weird not going to the Demo Forum, AND I am finding SO MUCH content on the general side too! Yay

I just realized (or re remembered) that one reason I was (am) a Demo is that it put some discipline and control into my purchasing habits, and it put some focus on my hobby. Just this morning alone I think I could have spent $500 browsing different threads and gathering information about new products.

I do best with some sort of structure or focus - not to inhibit me but rather so as not to overwhelm me. Budget and space are less of an issue - time to play and time to stay organized are more of the problem.

In other events, I have some volunteer work this morning and then I am headed to the Bay Area to celebrate a very dear friend. Her card is made already!

I hope you guys have the weekend you wish for. How do you stay focused on where to direct your muse (from a time and materials perspective)?
debzi333 likes this post.
Unread 03-21-2015, 06:56 AM   #90
Proud Fan Club Member

I absolutely am right there with you on the overwhelm - too many options and I freeze up! "Kid in a candy store" issues have plagued me since at least kindergarten (seriously -I have the vivid memory and story to back that statement up), so I have to limit somehow. That's one of the reasons I do the challenges - it gives me a focus, but I still have complete freedom to use any/all of my "stuff"!

As far as bringing more into my space, I am ruthless about evaluating each purchase - do I already have anything similar or just as good? Do I have AT LEAST THREE solid ideas of what to do with it? I'm not buying all that much these days, and I'm MUCH better at "shopping my stash", lol!

I wish I was heading to the Bay Area! Have fun! Not sure what's on tap for the weekend, but DH thought he'd be working today, and he's not, so it's already looking better! Have a good one, all!

Unread 03-21-2015, 01:27 PM   #91
Stazon Splitcoast

Pauline...What company do you work for? What do you do in your job? I worked at HP many years and then took early retirement (with no benefits because I was too young) when I was laid off. Now I do volunteer work. LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamphappy1650 View Post
Deborah, hope your doing ok. We'll think of you until you can join us again.

Sue, one of the hardest things for me to give up are punches. I did a better job on this purge but it was hard. I tested them all and if they were the least bit sluggish they went to the sale. I just don't want to have anything that doesn't work the way it should.

beaddict - hate those techy gremlins. A recent upgrade from Microsoft has my PC doing weird things. This morning I needed to print a doc for work and my PC forgot I had a printer. In my younger life I loved messing with technology, I even built my own PCs. Now, I just want things to work with no futzing from me and I do very little on my phone. It's basically a phone much to the chagrin of my friends and family. LOL

Lela, I'm trying to lessen my reading of the demo site, but I'm not there yet. I'm doing baby steps : ) Glad to hear you're getting more peace and serenity.
______
Today I had to go to Carson City to a client site. I love the client but sometimes it's hard that the drive takes longer than the meeting ( 2 hrs 15 mins one way for a 1 hr meeting). Our contract in NV will end 4/30 and I think my next contract will be in Colorado. I'm not crazy about work travel but CO is a lot better than being on an east coast job. I'm just happy I have a job I love that lets me work from home 90% of the time.

Hugs to everyone

I couldn't believe how little snow there is in Tahoe. The mountains look like it should be July and Spooner Lake looks like a pond. It's not a big lake, but its scary dry. I can't believe how many of my foolish neighbors still have green lawns. I guess they think it's all hype that CA is in trouble. Sigh...

If you would like to see my cards, please click here :-)

Gallery updated Aug 31, 2017
Please join us in our 2017 Bible Verse Challenge
Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Unread 03-21-2015, 01:29 PM   #92
Stazon Splitcoast

I would love it if we could get those of us between Santa Cruz/San Jose up to Sacramento area together for a time to meet each other. Anybody interested? LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwmwcw View Post
Lela, I will miss seeing your posts over there but totally understand your need to distance yourself.

Pauline, I would love to meet you sometime. I live in Fair Oaks and have read your posts here on SCS for a couple years. Never felt quite right to say "hey, let's meet" but this thread that Lela started suits that purpose well.

Today is my day to finish prepping for tomorrow's workshop and other things around the house that I had planned for the weekend. Our daughter comes home from Montana for a quick weekend visit (due to her grandmother's recent stroke) and I want to spend every minute I can with her. We FaceTime every Saturday morning while having tea but it isn't the same as having her here.

Happy Friday to all!

Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Unread 03-21-2015, 01:30 PM   #93
Stazon Splitcoast

How did you do in your sales at the Flea Market today? LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaddict View Post
GAH!

that is all.

Unread 03-21-2015, 02:29 PM   #94

How about for world card making day ish, non vendor specific? At my house in Roseville?
LMstamps likes this post.
Unread 03-21-2015, 03:16 PM   #95
Stazon Splitcoast

Sounds great to me. When is world card making day? LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity_Stamper View Post
How about for world card making day ish, non vendor specific? At my house in Roseville?

Unread 03-21-2015, 05:33 PM   #96
Stazon Splitcoast

For those of you considering dropping being a Demo, if you have any old SU Annual Catalogs from before 2000, can you please PM me...I would like to buy them from you. Thanks. LM

Unread 03-21-2015, 05:39 PM   #97
Full of Malarky

Yes, it is so easy to find $500 worth of stamping goodies if you look around at all! I'm a sucker for Penny Black and they have had some awesome cards and links to tutorials on facebook - I guess I must have liked Penny Black on facebook. I also love My Favorite Things and Taylored Expressions.

Anyway, in very happy news , I am free of my IV!!! Graduated to oral antibiotics today! Still , my elbow is quite sore, so I am not doing any cardmaking because I would have to lean on my elbow. Must go , my husband is soon home from work and called to ask me to feed the dog! LOL! Great to meet you all!

gregzgurl and stamphappy1650 like this post.
Unread 03-22-2015, 05:27 AM   #98
Proud Fan Club Member

Ooh - a meet-up in real life? I don't live in the Santa Cruz or Sacramento areas, but I wouldn't be opposed to a road trip! It would give me an excuse to go see my daughter, as well - happy x two! World Cardmaking Day is October 4th this year, so plenty of time to plan/save...

Unread 03-22-2015, 05:29 AM   #99
Proud Fan Club Member

Deborah - hooray! Sorry your elbow is still sore, but progress is progress, right? Hooray!
Everyone else: how many here are retired and how many are working? Those that are working, what do you do? I'm curious just like LMstamps (sorry - don't know your real name...)!

Unread 03-22-2015, 05:35 AM   #100
Forum Fanatic

Hi all - getting together sounds like a lot of fun. If Lela can't host, I will. Card making day is in October and I'd open to meeting before then.

Cathy, I'd like to meet you but until after the end of April, I'm swamped. I want to take a little time off after the 1st of May, maybe we can have lunch?

Lela, yep, I'm gong to the Sacramento Vicinity swap. It's usually every other month on the 2nd Saturday but it was moved so we could all go to the stamp show. This is a nice group and is open to anyone. We have people from Knights Landing, Woodland, Galt, Sac, Folsom, Roseville, and I think Fairfield. The April swap theme is generic birthday and I don't have a clue as to what I'll make.

Deborah, so glad you are on the mend.

LM - no catalogs that old. Sorry! I work for a consulting company, PCG out of Boston. Been with them 12 years as a Senior Information Technology Project Manager. My current contract that is ending was oversight of the implementation of Obamacare for the state of NV. I've been working the NV contract since 2010. My company keeps wanting to promote me but I want to retire in 4 years and quite frankly, I just don't to work that hard.

Lela, I've always read the general side as well as the demo side of SCS. The demo side was always to one-sided and the thought of SUO was boring. I'm still reading a little on the demo site but not making a lot of comments.

Sue - I love variety and I absolutely freeze when my options are limited. This is why I rarely do the challenges because as soon as someone tells me I have to use this or that I so want to use something else.

Sue, you're in Vegas, yes? My company is bidding a contract for Clark County so if we win, I'd have to come to Vegas a few times. Hmm...

Yesterday, was my day to spend with my stamping buddies. We been meeting for over 12 years. We meet from Feb-Nov, go to a retreat, road trips, have birthday celebrations and a Christmas party. I've attached my swap and the project that the hostess designed for us.

Pauline
Attached Thumbnails
dscn2377.jpg   dscn2378.jpg  
Unread 03-22-2015, 07:37 AM   #101

Pauline, your photos are beautiful. Your day sound like a lot of fun. Was the gal from Santa Cruz there (my cat stamps too?)?

I went to the Bay Area to visit my BFF and downline. One of her downline was there also, but that was not the focus at all. My friend lost her husband last year. They had gone on an early anniversary trip to Russia. He had health issues and was in the hospital in a coma. He was airlifted home, and never came out of the coma. The event yesterday was to celebrate her turning 50. She has done this all with such courage and grace. She threw a birthday party thank you party. She went around the table and shared a personal thankyou to everyone. Then we all had a chance to share a memory of David and our love for her. It was so sweet.

DH just woke up, I will come back later with the rest of my response. Deborah, I am glad your recovery is coming along so nicely!
Unread 03-22-2015, 07:58 AM   #102

To continue...

Sue, I am not retired and DH is. I am 51 and he is 60. I work full time at HP and my current role is working on a team that is splitting the company. I am doing communications and program/project management right now. I've held a variety of roles over my 25 years at HP.

Deborah, yay! I am glad the IV is done and I hope your elbow feels better soon.

LM I doubt I have any catty's that old. And I am not sure yet if I will toss mine. I like them for the ideas and memories

Sue, I am enjoying your blog . I loved your walk through your stamping area. The contact paper idea for helping identify dies is genius. I also struggle with how to store that beautiful Prima Doll Lorrena (spelling?). I am really impressed how you had the discipline to corral your materials from one room to half a room basically. I know the time will come when I need to downsize.

Pauline, that is a great word. I was finding SUO content on the Demo side too limiting (boring, I think you said . I was very busy with work and volunteer work the past few years, so I found the forum perfect for a place to come unwind. It was no longer meeting that need for me. As a result, there is a mountain of historical conversation to catch up on here on the general side. And I will go venture more to facebook as well.

I subscribe to Christy Tomlinson mixed media kit, plus her monthly Art Society video. I am going on the hunt for some community around that. I'm looking for Julie Fei-fan Balzer fans also. And Cathy Bluteau. They all have products and classes that i participate in.

I also love Jingle Belles blog, and the daily challenges here. Especially the mix, color, inspiration, and featured stamper. Sue, did you say you co-host QFTD here? I will go check it out.

I have a lot to do today - I have to present a plan tomorrow morning at work that is not written yet :0 and I also have to pack for my flight Tuesday for Chicago ( including an as yet undesigned Shoe Box swap).

Hope you all have a rockin' day!
Unread 03-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #103
Stazon Splitcoast

I'd love to meet before then too. Perhaps sometime in the Summer? LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamphappy1650 View Post
Hi all - getting together sounds like a lot of fun. If Lela can't host, I will. Card making day is in October and I'd open to meeting before then.
Pauline

Unread 03-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #104

I am tbd before October - sorry . But that doesn't prevent two gatherings
Unread 03-22-2015, 03:04 PM   #105
Forum Fanatic

[QUOTE=Serenity_Stamper;20931816]Pauline, your photos are beautiful. Your day sound like a lot of fun. Was the gal from Santa Cruz there (my cat stamps too?)? QUOTE]

Lela, she's not part of this group. Karan (My Cat Stamps) was part of the old group of Sac Vicinity swap group. The original group broke up and we reformatted, renamed ourselves with new easier rules.
Unread 03-23-2015, 01:15 AM   #106
Proud Fan Club Member

Beautiful projects, Pauline! I crave variety, as well, but it's more along the lines of different outlets (painting, sewing, beading, writing) than it is "what do I want to use now?" I understand what you're saying, though, because there have also been times when I didn't do a challenge for the very reason you stated - sort of a "don't tell me what to do" thing, lol!

I'm reading a book called Refuse to Choose, written by Barbara Sher. She is a career counselor and life coach, and identified very specific types of approaches to work and life. To oversimplify, there are Divers, who are very focused and passionate about something specific, and there are Scanners - those who jump from thing to thing because they want to do it all. I am in the latter group, and for years I thought that there was something seriously wrong with me because I couldn't stick with anything. I was very enthused at the outset and while I was learning whatever-it-was and it was still challenging, but once I'd mastered it (or at least become fairly proficient at it), I lost interest.

This book has been a godsend! It explains so much of what I've dealt with over the years, including my "kid in a candy store" thing. Turns out that Scanners have this quirk (at least, some of us do) where the overload of options freezes us - we want to do it all (and, obviously, can't), and so it feels like an all-or-nothing proposition: if I can't do it all, I can't do any of it. Not exactly rational from the outside looking in, but very real when you're in it. Fortunately, she has work-arounds to help... I'm still reading and learning and adjusting, but at least I don't feel like a freak now, lol!

Sorry - didn't mean to write a book myself... It's really interesting, though, all the ways that this impacts me. I HAVE to have a very organized space to create in because too much "visual clutter" spools me into freeze-up, for example. I would love to do mixed media and make a glorious mess, but most of the projects I've seen have too much going on for me. I'm not CAS, but I'm not "more is more", either. I'm sure I'll attempt a "play" at some point, just for the fun of it. I have seen some less "cluttery" (is that a word?) samples of mixed media, too.

Also, any time you're in the area, let me know. I'm actually in Henderson, which is a suburb southeast of Las Vegas, but I'm ten minutes from the airport and fifteen from the Strip, so it's not like it's a different place, lol! I sort of have an open-invitation, open door policy for friends and family, and I can certainly expand that to include you! Or any of you others, as well, for that matter!

Well, I think I'll go back to bed now. I have no idea why I woke up an hour and a half ago, but I decided - since I was up - to do a work project to help my husband out, and then came over here to see what's what. I got whatever-it-was out of my system now, so back to sleep I'll go (hopefully). Catch you all later!

Last edited by gregzgurl; 03-23-2015 at 01:20 AM..
Unread 03-23-2015, 04:45 AM   #107
Forum Fanatic

Sue, I think I'm a diving scanner LOL. My focus is on paper crafting and I bob around on different aspects. Once I learn how to do one particular thing I bob off to some thing new in the field. Doing the same thing over and over makes my eyes glaze over.

I'm a organized but messy crafter. I have to have places for everything and when I'm in the creative zone I make a mess, then put it all away and start again.

My styles are all over the place. The piece I showed in the pic was so not my style but that is what our host designed. I'm giving it to my sister.

Every now and then I do something with a ton of pieces but it's usually for someone else or something I've CAS'd. I tend to lean towards a cleaner look. So often the mixed media work I see doesn't have a central focus point - it's just stuff. I also dislike many of the styles because my simple mind doesn't see the beauty, just random colors and bad drawing (sad, but it's true). The art with the little kids with wings and crowns and big eyed people bug me. I always respect the artist and the effort, but I just can't enjoy it.

Some of my fav styles are Donna Downey, Lisa Kraus, Stephanie Ackerman, and my favorite stamp company is Paper Artsy.

You know the funny thing is that stampers have always done mixed media. We combined water color, inks, pencils, chalk, paint, etc. so the thought of adding various pastes was an easy step. Mixed media doesn't have to be messy at all, it's just an excuse so I can make a mess. I'm the kid that loved to play in mud puddles
gregzgurl likes this post.
Unread 03-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #108

I am still here. I wrote a long post, but managed to close the page before it posted. duh!
That's kind of how things are. I am not totally together.
Unread 03-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #109

Hugs, Gail! It drives me CRAZY when that happens! I am glad to see you!
basketballmom likes this post.
Unread 03-23-2015, 12:45 PM   #110
Crimping Master

Pauline, absolutely! Let's catch lunch in May. Do you want to get something on calendar now or wait until May? Either way works for me.

Deborah, glad to hear you are on the mend.

Doctor recently changed the meds I take after breast cancer and now I am experiencing horrible joint pain. I thought that was done when I finished chemo! She says it resolves after about six months so just 5 1/2 months to go. But I am alive and cancer free so it is worth it.

A gathering this summer or fall would be fun. I look forward to it.

Anyone planning on attending convention? This will be my 8th.
Unread 03-23-2015, 08:47 PM   #111
Full of Malarky

So many of your sound so keen on mixed media, it makes me more interested! Thanks for your encouragement.

Cathy W , so sorry you are feeling unwell due your meds you are taking after breast cancer. I hope soon it will right itself!

As for me, no I am not retired in the traditional way! I don't work, but in part I gave up working shortly after my first child , and health issues that I have dealt with throughout my life meant that having two kids was about as much as I could manage, love them though I do. My health challenges began in my late teens , so it's not the kids either.

Essentially I am home because I could not work, but that has been fine with me. I've been married nearly 32 years and have two sons, aged 30 and 25. The younger son just moved out last week and is getting married this summer. A bit of empty nest syndrome I think, but then I was too busy getting IV antibiotics to notice too much!

I live in Vancouver BC Canada, so I won't be able to attend your stamp get together, which sounds lovely!

The elbow is still healing - much better thank you! Just the actual skin of my elbow is sore and I guess it will slowly (or perhaps quickly ) heal. Still knocking back a big dose of antibiotics for another 4 days. 4X per day for the medication - it seems to me I am always taking another antibiotic this past while, though honestly I cannot remember when I last had to take an antibiotic for an illness, so that's a plus. I think it could be as much as 7 - 10 years?

Well, best go have a shower! Thought I'd just check in with everyone.

Unread 03-23-2015, 10:51 PM   #112
Full of Malarky

To clarify - I have not needed to take any sort of antibiotic for ?? 7 - 10 years . And now all of a sudden it seems to me that every 5 hours I am scarfing back another dose of antibiotics!

Unread 03-24-2015, 03:04 AM   #113
Proud Fan Club Member

Cathy - sorry you're feeling icky, but I'm so glad that yo're "alive and cancer free", as you put it. One of my dear friends back in Syracuse is a 20+ year survivor now.

Gail - sorry you lost your post (that's so frustrating!) but glad you're still checking in.

Deborah - glad the healing is coming along, your clarification just validated what I thought you had said, and I agree with Bono - the world does need more Canada!

Lela - thanks for checking out my blog and for your kind words. I thought Lorrena was a misspelling, as well, but that's how she's listed everywhere I've ever seen her... I was very gung-ho with the Jingle Belles challenges when they started out (been following Steph and Lauren for years) and even guest-hosted a time or two, but I've been less involved the past couple of years - too much going on. I'm trying to get back into it, though.

I have to take DH to work now so I can keep the car, so I'll check in later and see what's going on. Have a great day!

Unread 03-24-2015, 05:25 AM   #114
Forum Fanatic

Another insomnia night - ugh! However, I did use the time to redo the wall hanging we made on Saturday. I just couldn't handle the pinkish-brown/mauve. I applied gesso over everything and even after 3 coats, that pink was still there. I was going to go with all vanilla but I ended up using a turquoise glaze mixed with the SU pearl paint over vanilla. It's ok but not still not a fav - I'll send it to my sister and she'll love it.

I said I wasn't going to have any classes for awhile, then I changed my mind and tried to work out a project but my heart just isn't in it right now. I love to teach, love the customers and hate to disappoint them but I just don't want to do the work. Why oh why do I waffle so much...sigh.

The Stamp In the Hand stamp convention is coming to Sac in a few weeks (4/11) so I need to update my supply book so I know what I need. Not that I need very much, but I sometimes I can find refill inks that I'm missing. I also need a fence die and some more dies that I use to make stencils. Moving into mixed media has changed what treasures I hope to find. It would be great if one of vendors specialized in mixed media. One of the LSS always has a huge sale the same day so I might check them out. Off to update my supply book.
Unread 03-24-2015, 05:33 AM   #115

Cathy- sorry for the side effects, but super grateful for the payoff! We can withstand a lot, one day at a time. One minute at a time, sometimes.

Sue - I wasn't questioning your spelling, I was questioning my memory how to spell her name. Here are two things I've made with her - I love Prima Girls!

SCSCCNOV13 CC453 All Dressed Up! by Serenity_Stamper - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Prima girl by Serenity_Stamper - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I am definitely a scanner. Definitely definitely resonate with that notion. I read something about this on your blog a while ago, and really identified. It gave me some confidence, actually, because sometimes I feel like a fish out of water I have significant role changes at work every two years or so, and one person commented that I wasn't focused. That's one perspective... But I am VERY focused one what I am doing during the time I am doing it. And I have a lovely variety of skills and experience to draw from.

I very much can suffer from overwhelm, and I need to rely on survival tips to not get stuck. My one little word is flow this year - and y vision of flow is the opposite of that stuck ness. My vision of flow is a beautiful unstuck ness. One quote said something about - we don't drown because we get in the water, we drown because we stay submerged. Thinking about that symbolically, that adds even more to your scanning/diving metaphor oddly.

I'm headed to Chicago from CA today to see my mom for her 85th birthday, and all of my sisters. We are having a shoebox swap next Saturday. I have a few things in mind right now, so I will just bring a medley of supplies and work on it while I am there. I will also work for a couple of days too.

Deb, I am glad you are still recovering. You must really need the antibiotics. I don't think I've taken any for a while too.

My wishes for you and Cathy and Gail include moments of comfort and peace.

I will check in as I can, some days diving and some days scanning and some days offfffff offff offff to another adventure.

Kind blessings,

Lela
Unread 03-24-2015, 09:14 AM   #116
Crimping Master

Good morning everyone! Thank you all for the kind words and thoughts. Woke up this morning pain free! Hopefully I will only have a few of those painful days in the future. Now to get caught up on everything I didn't do yesterday!

Lela, have a safe trip to Chicago and have a great time with your family. Cassidy was home for the weekend but it was so short. We had a great time though - we power-shopped! Bozeman, Montana doesn't have all the choices we have here. Managed to hit 4 stores in 2 1/2 hours - she got a pair of shoes, two dresses, a pair of shorts, a shirt, a purse, a belt and sunglasses - all for her trip to Italy in August. Very successful outing. I love that I am not having to buy everything for her anymore although I did spring for the shoes and purse. She bought everything else herself.

Pauline, are you going to Rubberama on Saturday or Sunday? For some reason, I always end up with a workshop on that Saturday so I either rush through it on Saturday morning or go on Sunday. The only thing I have bought the last few years is double-sided tape in 1/8" and 1/4" widths. I found I just don't use much that isn't Stampin' Up! because most of my creating is for classes or workshops. I certainly identify with the comments of not having stamped just for me in a long time. I can't remember the last time I did that!

I used to donate thank you cards to a local breast cancer organization that made up bags full of supplies for mastectomy patients but the gal just wound down the organization. I received one of the bags when I had my surgery and it really touched my heart. Locally, she gave out 700-800 bags annually to Mercy and Sutter hospitals. I tried to put 2 cards into every bag. Without some other demos and my customers giving me cards, I never would have been able to donate that many. Now I need to find another organization to donate cards to as my boxes are full! What do all of you do with your extra cards? I am aware of the troops and Ronald McDonald House but wonder if there are any other organizations that you donate to.

Have a great day everyone!
Unread 03-24-2015, 09:33 AM   #117

Hello ladies!What a weekend! I ended up getting only a few hours of sleep Friday night so was running on near empty all day Saturday. I had a dear friend surprise me with breakfast at the flea market. It made a huge difference in my day.
I ended up getting home from the flea market rather late so dinner was late.

Not sure if I mentioned that the Hubs (Chris) and I decided to host a monthly supper that we are calling Saturday Supper, for any of our friends and family that want to attend. We (I, during tax season) cook all the food. We ask our guests to bring a beverage (usually wine). It's the third Saturday of every month which just so happens to be the same Saturday as the flea market. It makes for a full day but it's nice to end the day relaxing with friends.
My daughter and her boyfriend went to a concert at Villa Montalvo and then stayed over here for the weekend.
My daughter Meghan took the whole family out to lunch and then I took my daughter's (23 and 25) to see Cinderella and then we wandered around the mall until my feet wouldn't let me anymore.

Yesterday I stayed in my PJ's all day and did absolutely NOTHING but catch up on my t.v programs. All that was missing was my box of bon bons
It was wonderful!

I am in the latter group, and for years I thought that there was something seriously wrong with me because I couldn't stick with anything. I was very enthused at the outset and while I was learning whatever-it-was and it was still challenging, but once I'd mastered it (or at least become fairly proficient at it), I lost interest.

This is me. I couldn't keep a job for more than 1-1 1/2 years because I would get bored to tears. I finally just became a SAHM and raised my 4 kids. The youngest is almost 17, the oldest almost 26.

Gail ~ I don't know how many times I've written a lengthy response on an online forum and either accidentally left before submitting or would have my pc do something wonky. It was annoying at best.

Anyhow, time for me to do something creative. Hope everyone is having a great day

Shellie
Unread 03-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #118
Proud Fan Club Member

You know, reading the responses here has me wondering if most creatives are on the spectrum of Scanner somewhere? Maybe I should do a poll...

Lela - I didn't think that you were correcting my spelling - I was just trying to reassure both of us, lol!

Shellie - I was a SAHM for 15 years until my divorce. All I ever wanted to be was "the mom", and that's all the training I had, as well, so it was a HUGE wake-up call to have to go out in the working world! I'm still waaaaaay more comfortable in my role as Domestic Goddess than I am in any "career" I've tried to pursue. That's probably why I've been self-employed most of the time... If DH made enough for me to stay home, I'd be all over it! Right now we're gearing up for retirement in a few years and trying to make that nest egg a bit bigger, so I'll probably still pursue something for the time being.

I HATE nights that I can't sleep! Seems like the older I get, the more of those there are. We're up at 3:30 these days, anyway, so DH can get to work by 5:00, so if I try to stay up even a little late, I'm dragging the next day. This morning I went back to bed for an hour or so...

Okay - off to the post office and a couple of other errands while I have a car! I was really spoiled until we moved - DH always had a company truck! I see a second car on the horizon...

Unread 03-24-2015, 10:18 AM   #119
Stazon Splitcoast

What is "tbd"? LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity_Stamper View Post
I am tbd before October - sorry . But that doesn't prevent two gatherings

Unread 03-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #120
Stazon Splitcoast

Shellie...How did you do in sales at the Flea Market? LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaddict View Post
Hello ladies!What a weekend! I ended up getting only a few hours of sleep Friday night so was running on near empty all day Saturday. I had a dear friend surprise me with breakfast at the flea market. It made a huge difference in my day.
I ended up getting home from the flea market rather late so dinner was late.

Not sure if I mentioned that the Hubs (Chris) and I decided to host a monthly supper that we are calling Saturday Supper, for any of our friends and family that want to attend. We (I, during tax season) cook all the food. We ask our guests to bring a beverage (usually wine). It's the third Saturday of every month which just so happens to be the same Saturday as the flea market. It makes for a full day but it's nice to end the day relaxing with friends.
My daughter and her boyfriend went to a concert at Villa Montalvo and then stayed over here for the weekend.
My daughter Meghan took the whole family out to lunch and then I took my daughter's (23 and 25) to see Cinderella and then we wandered around the mall until my feet wouldn't let me anymore.

Yesterday I stayed in my PJ's all day and did absolutely NOTHING but catch up on my t.v programs. All that was missing was my box of bon bons
It was wonderful!

I am in the latter group, and for years I thought that there was something seriously wrong with me because I couldn't stick with anything. I was very enthused at the outset and while I was learning whatever-it-was and it was still challenging, but once I'd mastered it (or at least become fairly proficient at it), I lost interest.

This is me. I couldn't keep a job for more than 1-1 1/2 years because I would get bored to tears. I finally just became a SAHM and raised my 4 kids. The youngest is almost 17, the oldest almost 26.

Gail ~ I don't know how many times I've written a lengthy response on an online forum and either accidentally left before submitting or would have my pc do something wonky. It was annoying at best.

Anyhow, time for me to do something creative. Hope everyone is having a great day

Shellie