Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #841
Pearl-ExPert

Sammie, I haven't posted in a long, long time but I do check in now and then. It is crazy how much is still happening for you guys. Good luck with Mark -- hope they fix him up soon. Totally understand why you are thinking about selling the house. Although that is very stressful. Maybe there is someone who can organize all that stuff for you?
Take care. There are lots of us who think of you and hope things improve very, very soon.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #842
Stazon Splitcoast

Yikes Sammie. It sounds bad for Mark. I hope they can identify and treat the two problems he has. Best wishes on selling the house.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #843
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Sammie, any news on Mark?

And how are you doing?

Please post an update.

Hugs,

RS
Old 05-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #844
Crimping Master

Sammie,What does a person say? So much heartache in your life. I wish I lived in Madison. I would be there to help you somehow.
I have been following RS too and my heart is heavy for all of you tonight.
Praying....
Old 05-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #845
Hardware Hotshot

When they did the endoscopy yesterday on Mark, every time the scope touched the stomach, it would bleed. There is a long name for what the Gastrp DR told me regarding the stomach but they feel it may be being caused by something wrong with the liver. There is a bleeding problem in the esophagus also. Having the bleeding over time could explain the pain, nausea and throwing up on a weekly basis at home. He did receive blood transfusions to bring up his Hemoglobin level. Just don't know much yet. We are hoping it is not cancer in the liver or something else that is serious.

We'll find out more when the liver blood tests all come back.

RS, how are you and how is Butch doing? You can write on your thread and I'll look for it.

When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. -- Harriet Beecher Stowe
Old 05-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #846
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Sammie, I'm thinking about you and Mark, and sending love and prayers to both of you as well.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #847

Any news, Sammie? And how 'bout you? Are you okay?

My sister called Wed. evening to let us know her husband's surgery went well. They were able to remove the mass but because it was larger than expected, they took a couple lymph node biopsies. The wait begins again.

You're right, Sammie. This whole cancer gig sucks.

Love and hugs,
RS
Old 05-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #848

Sammie?

Rainsong
Old 05-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #849
Hardware Hotshot

Sorry for being a little out of touch. Mark is home and has something wrong with his liver that has caused the gastric bleeding and the esophagus varices. It's not cirhosis of the liver but something else. Right now we have an appt Friday to begin the testing. It looks like they will have to do a liver biopsy down the road. They didn't do it in the hospital because he was already in pain and bleeding and the DR said he didn't want to put Mark through that right now. Apparently whatever is wrong is serious.

He had some pain 2 nights ago and will be on liquid "Boost" only type drinks until his appt Friday. He is weak and very tired. I assume when the pain came the other night, there was bleeding involved that went right through him.

We are going to try and get ready to sell our house. It is too big for us and the upkeep outside is back breaking. I just got in from working in the garden and lawn and I hurt every where. Just the thought of going through and getting rid of 'stuff' makes me tired. We probably will move closer to my daughter in Portland OR. It make a year to get there, but we have to be realistic. It's a big move and 2000 miles away.

RS, how is Butch and you? I will go to your thread for more info. I hope your sister's DH will be OK. I have a big button that says "Cancer Sucks". It sure does.

When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. -- Harriet Beecher Stowe
Old 05-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #850
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Sammie, I hope they quickly find out what is wrong with Mark's liver. Hugs to you both.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #851

Sammie, have you received any results from the liver tests? How is Mark doing? And you?

I think about you both everyday and I hope we are as strong as you two have been.

Love and hugs,
RS
Old 05-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #852
Hardware Hotshot

Right now the DRs are working to find out where in the small intestine that food is being trapped causing the bowel obstructions. His PC DR wants him to be able to eat before they start on the liver. He can't swallow the camera as they are afraid it will get stuck somewhere so they have to do a follow through after drinking stuff. They think it will take several hours for it to work through his small intestine.

Of course the liver DR wants the opposite. He wants to do a liver biopsy but that will come sometime after the bowel follow through. He is quite tired, weak and anemic due to probable blood loss. We will keep up on the testing for that.

It's just frustrating right now as I want them to make him better (as you already know with Butch, RS). He seems to be slowly losing ground as I do.

He has a period of pain about every 2 days and then will drink Ensure until he feels safe to try to eat anything. I don't know much more. He doesn't have cirrhosis but something is wrong. It's just that they don't know exactly what is it yet. He is more shaky than usual, balance is off and he sleeps a lot during the day. So I worry a lot right now.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #853

(((HUGS))) to you and Mark, Sammie. I hope the doctors can get things sorted out soon.

Please take care of yourself too. Love and prayers to both of you.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #854

Sammie? Could we have an update on you and Mark? You haven't posted in a while.

Rainsong
Old 05-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #855

Thinking of you both with love, Sammie. Today and every day.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #856
Hardware Hotshot

Mark had another bad pain event last night with severe pain in his abdomen and throwing up. He has also what they call a "watermelon" stomach and Portal Hypertensive Grastopathy. When the inside of the stomach is touched, it will bleed at that spot. We are supposed to go to Portland OR in 2 weeks for a week and I am scared to death to go. But we need to see or grand kids.

Mark's surgeon wants a CT scan to be done now but the other 2 DRs are afraid of surgery period. I think they all agree that surgery is a last option only to save his life. They could remove a lot of the stomach and also try to remove the adhesions that are swollen at times and squeeze the intestine shut. The problem is that the surgeon could go in and because Mark has had so much surgery it's a crap shoot of which adhesions to remove. When Mark had the Pelvic Exeneration, they literally used a hammer and chisel as the radiation has hardened his entire insides. I am probably rambling, but I just wish I could make the pain go away and take some of it myself.

I am tired and hurting. But nothing compared to Mark.
RS, how did the radiation go? I will go to your thread and see if you have posted.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:12 AM   #857

Sammie,

Hugs and love to you and Mark. I wish I could help with both your pain. I know sharing it with others can't do anything to make it go away and I so wish it could.

I hope he's feeling better and that the trip goes well for both of you. Laughing or talking or just quiet time with people you love means the world. As much as phones and skyping and the internet are amazing ways of keeping people close, that time in their presence is always such a gift.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #858

This is Mark:
Sandi had to have a complicated surgery last week.

She was in surgery much longer than expected. It lasted about 4 1/2 - 5 hours and then recovery room was about the same. She didn't get to her room until night time. The surgeon had a great deal of difficulty trying to repair the initial BC side and unfortunately she will be facing another surgery. She again stopped breathing several times in recovery and had heart related problems. The surgeon also had problems with the left side. Her skin is so thin that it turns blue from lack of oxygen in both sides. She wants to wait until after the New Year for the 2nd repair which should be much easier.

Her pain level couldn't be taken care of and although she is home now, the pain is quite intense. She had a migraine with dry heaves all night following the surgery to add to the pain. She wanted to come home and now in hind sight, I am glad we came home. She is starting to eat again. She still has 2 drainage tubes in but is far more comfortable. I spent the night there and am glad I did. She needed a lot of help getting out of bed or actually trying to move.

She will need several weeks for healing.
Mark

Rainsong
Old 10-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #859
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the update Rainsong - I have a habit of living in my own little trivial world. Thinking of Sammie and sending her lots of positive thoughts and soft hugs.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #860
Hardware Hotshot

I had a very complicated surgery. After 2 mastectomies, there were a lot of skin death. When I had the Tram Flap surgery - where they cut you from hip to hip and move attached muscle up to form a breast - that failed and the muscle fell and the skin started to die. On the other side there was concern of more cancer so the back chest wall that had to be looked at. So everything was removed, chest wall scraped and the DRs tried to do replacement surgery. One side may have worked but the other R side he struggled on for hours because of the muscle there (which he cut out) and dying skin. He said he could hear the skin crackling as he stitched it. My surgery lasted way too long and as Mark stated I stopped breathing several times and my heart beat kept falling and my BP was out of control.

I married the most wonderful man in the world 44 years ago. As many physical problems he has, he stayed over night in the hospital with me after a very difficult surgery and was there to help me move or reach things thru a terrible night. He even held the pan for my dry heaves. Better than any nurse. I could reach over and he was there right beside the bed. Love him more today than ever. I am home and the pain is intense, but I am no longer shaky or nauseaus.

He is facing his own battle right now with internal bleeding from an unknwon source, breathing problems, severe anemia and so much more. Shortly he will undergo many tests to try and help him. They were afraid to go inside last week with the endoscopy as it would have started too much bleeding. He has what is called a 'Water melon" stomach that is full of lesions and will bleed when touch by anything. Getting units of blood doesn't seem to help him.

We have out hands full. Rs, I worry about you too and Butch. Take care as best you can and never give up hope.

Sorry if there are spelling errors. I don't have the energy to go back and re-read this. Thanks for the caring everyone. It means a lot.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #861
neglecting the kids and housework

Sammie I wish that I could take this all away from you and Mark. You deserve a carefree life of silliness not pain and surgeries. I love you as if you and I have been neighbors for ever. You're an amazing person and I consider myself incredibly lucky to have you in my life and sharing with me.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #862
Kookie Creator

Send a message via MSN to SnowyAK

Dear Sammie, Hugs and healing, loving thoughts to the both of you.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #863
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you everyone. Just knowing that friends here care makes life easier. I am so very worried about Mark. Something bad is happening and the Docs don't have a clue right now. Hopefully next week the texts will start. Breathing and internal bleeding are major problems.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #864
Stazon Splitcoast

Sending warm wishes to you both.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #865
Gallery Gazer

Thinking of you, Sammie! Hope you are much, much better now! Hope Mark is doing fine now, too.

Thanks to Rainsong for posting the update, I am sending healing thoughts your way, too, for Butch!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #866

From Mark:

HI,
Sandi's surgery went well today. There were several Doctors and 5 anesthesiologists. They placed 4 blocks into the spins and ten used a general anesthesia instead of a twilight one. But they didn't have to use as much. She went into surgery early at 9:30 Am - 1:45 PM. So it was about a 3+ surgery as he predicted. But there were no unexpected problems like last time as we are very grateful for that. Her surgeon said that all of those involved in the surgery met yesterday for several hours to go over exactly what would be done and how. She is doing good and will be home late tomorrow. She and I both feel she can heal better at home instead of a hospital bed and her immune system doesn't stand a chance against any hospital 'bugs'.

Hopefully this will be the last surgery unless another recurrence happens. We are praying that this is over now. She needs a few weeks to heal as both sides of her chest were operated on.

We both want to thank you for all the prayers said on her behalf.

Mark
Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #867
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you for the update. Prayers and healing thoughts going Sammie's way.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:03 AM   #868
Stazon Splitcoast

Mark and Sammie are in my thoughts. I hope she has a quick recovery. Hope Mark is okay too, or at least not gotten worse. It sounded like Sammie was very worried about Mark in October.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #869
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks. I am home and in a fair amount of pain. Surgery was on both sides of my chest again.

Mark is in bad shape. Whatever is wrong has gotten worse as his balance is very bad and he has taken several falls. He also is severely anemic and has two 5 hour iron infusions that have failed. His abdominal pain continues. I wish I could wave a magic wand and cure him of whatever is causing everything. He continues to bleed internally but they can't stop it.

Thank you for thinking of us. Rainsong, I think of you and Butch almost daily. How are things going? I haven't been on SCS much as we are just trying to survive. Let me know how Butch it.

Love to all of you.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:47 AM   #870
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh dear, so sorry to hear this. Hugs to you Sammie, and to Mark.