Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2008, 11:24 AM   #561
Stazon Splitcoast

A year, wow Sammie!

I'm no doctor, but I think I would go ahead and sleep too.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-26-2008, 11:11 PM   #562
Failed Lurker

Sometimes you need extra sleep to allow your body to heal. Hang in there Sammie, you're doing really well!
Old 08-27-2008, 02:40 AM   #563
Die Cut Diva

When you sleep your body focuses on healing itself, so you rest. I am so sorry to hear about your loss, nothing we can say will take away the pain but I hope you find comfort in knowing that we are here. ((HUGS))
Old 09-21-2008, 07:18 PM   #564
Hardware Hotshot

Default 1st year anniversary

Today is my 1st anniversary of being diagnosed with breast cancer. Wow !!! I can’t believe how the tie went by. My last surgery was in August and I feel like time has stood still for me.

I have major fatigue- big deal. It’s the chest pain that gets to me. But I have my mammo next month and I am scared. I am a “triple negative” and recurrences are most common in the 2-3 years following. After that we are kind of on the same path as other breast cancer people. I was supposed to have the mammo this month but after having breast surgery in August, I couldn’t imagine the pain of being squeezed and having my stitches pop open. So I delayed it until next month.

We just got back from a trip to Minot Air Force Base to see my daughter and grandkids. Her DH is deployed and she is alone with the kids. So we drove up to spend a week with them.

We had to come back this week because Mark and I have a full week of DR appt’s. I am so tired of DR appt’s. We must spend half our lives sitting in the waiting room. Mark has a problem and needs serious medical attention this week. There is always something. But we hang in there are do the best that we can.

Love and hugs to all of you.

When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. -- Harriet Beecher Stowe
Old 09-21-2008, 07:46 PM   #565
Pearl-ExPert

Congrat's on making your 1 yr mark & wishing you another 50...hope that's not too many
Old 09-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #566
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via MSN to SnowyAK

Congratulations Sammy!!!! and many more!!!!

Old 09-22-2008, 07:40 AM   #567
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Sammie! So sorry about the fatigue. The first anniversary. Best wishes to Mark for his medical problems too.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #568
Pearl-ExPert

I'm sure you had a great time with your daughter and grandkids. Super that you had the opportunity between those darn dr. appts, lol. One whole year! Wonderful -- keep on smiling
Old 10-10-2008, 08:26 AM   #569
Hardware Hotshot

UGH..........Mark has to have surgery on Tuesday - hopefully out patient. I had 3 app'ts 2 days ago and 2 yesterday. Mark had his too. We are exhausted just going to the DR.

I am so scared. I am scheduled for a mammogram and blood work on Oct. 22 and then I see the oncologist the following week. It's scary for several reasons.
1. - There is a greater chance that I will have a recurrence in the other breast in the first 3 years. I have 2 years left to get by on. There is also a greater chance of a recurrence in other places in the body too a lot faster that estrogen positive people. Darn it. I thought negatives were good. Not in breast cancer.

2. - I had surgery 2 months ago and both of my breasts and they are still painful. I actually don't have a breast on the mastectomy side. Just a mound. That is depressing in itself. But on the good breast they did symmetry surgery and it is still painful. But symmetry to what? I don't even have a breast but a mound. I am so uneven. The DRs say I should be OK and I need to get the mammo. I can’t imagine being clamped down on right now.

I was under the impression that I would wake up looking the same on both sides after the last surgery. What was I thinking? I saw that surgeon yesterday and he said he could still bring an attached flap from my back and make a breast. That is a long surgery. I think I have had enough surgery for a while and I just need to get used to what I look like. I am thankful I survived the first year but I still get a sick feeling in my stomach when I think about all of this. I just can't die and leave Mark with all of his problems.

I don't even know why I am writing. Sometimes I just look at people I know and wonder what it is like to not have any medical problems. I hope they realize how lucky they are.

But then I think that many people have a lot of other problems than just medical right now. Especially now when the economy in the toilet. I am lucky in that area at least for now. So I need a change of attitude - somehow.

When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. -- Harriet Beecher Stowe
Old 10-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #570
neglecting the kids and housework

Sammie, I have to admit my heart jumped up in my throat when I saw you had posted here. I can't imagine what you are physically going through much less emotionally. You said you don't know why you are writing here. You are writing to be able the let us help in carrying your burden. You have numerous people who you've never met caring about you and Mark. Please let us help you with your struggles. I can't be there to help you to the doctor's office or offer you a tissue when you cry but I can be there in spirit sharing a hug and a smile.

And please know that you have been and continue to be a tremendous inspiration of strength, love and commitment to so many of us. And not just to those of us on this board. We take your energy and pass it on to those we know and care about in our everyday life. I bet if you ever truly found out how many people your journey has touched you would be flabbergasted.

Warm and gentle hugs to you and Mark. Please continue to vent here when you feel inspired to do so. We are a group of ready ears, willing arms and comfortable shoulder.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #571
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
Sammie, I have to admit my heart jumped up in my throat when I saw you had posted here. I can't imagine what you are physically going through much less emotionally. You said you don't know why you are writing here. You are writing to be able the let us help in carrying your burden. You have numerous people who you've never met caring about you and Mark. Please let us help you with your struggles. I can't be there to help you to the doctor's office or offer you a tissue when you cry but I can be there in spirit sharing a hug and a smile.

And please know that you have been and continue to be a tremendous inspiration of strength, love and commitment to so many of us. And not just to those of us on this board. We take your energy and pass it on to those we know and care about in our everyday life. I bet if you ever truly found out how many people your journey has touched you would be flabbergasted.

Warm and gentle hugs to you and Mark. Please continue to vent here when you feel inspired to do so. We are a group of ready ears, willing arms and comfortable shoulder.
Thank you so much for your kind words. I really do get a lot of support here from those I have never met. I can't even begin to thank every one for picking me up when I need it. Your pots have meant a lot to me and I can’t even begin to express my appreciation.

I am so very tired today and that is when I feel the most vulnerable. I got up in the middle of the night because of pericarditis pain and took a pain pill. I am still groggy. I have to sleep sitting up and probably will have to tonight as the pain is quite intense. Darn lupus. I don’t want to go to another DR today. I know the pain from so many episodes. Maybe I can just call the DR and take more steroids for a few days. I am just frustrated and worried about Mark too. It’s funny…I worry about him and he is always worried about me. We make a good pair.

Thank you.

Hugs.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:15 AM   #572
Stazon Splitcoast

Sammie, I think of you often. I am soooo glad you are not having financial troubles on top of all your (and Mark's) health problems.
Even though I am not on SCS as often (my motherboard broke, and I can only get on the internet when I visit my brother), I think of you nearly everyday. Best wishes on October 22nd. That is in two days. My thoughts are with you.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:12 PM   #573
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
Sammie, I think of you often. I am soooo glad you are not having financial troubles on top of all your (and Mark's) health problems.
Even though I am not on SCS as often (my motherboard broke, and I can only get on the internet when I visit my brother), I think of you nearly everyday. Best wishes on October 22nd. That is in two days. My thoughts are with you.
Thanks Sophie. I won't know the results of the mammo until next week when I have the app't with the oncologist. But I still hurt from the last surgery 2 months ago so be squished in the mammo clamps will not be fun. Mark is having health problems right now and I just can't be sick.......peroid.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #574
Stazon Splitcoast

Sammie, how are you? Any news? I am almost afraid to ask. My best wishes to you and Mark. I think of you both very often.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #575
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
Sammie, how are you? Any news? I am almost afraid to ask. My best wishes to you and Mark. I think of you both very often.

Hi Sophie,
Thanks for thinking of me. I am having problems but what else is new. My mammo on the left side came out OK. I am not necessarily relived by that as the mammo couldn't show anything before when the cancer was so big. But I will have an MRI in 6 months. My oncologist said there is no test they can do to check on whether the cancer has spread to the lungs, brain, bones or liver. He said by the time something was seen, I would be already at stage 4 and other then trying chemos, there is not much they can do. And at that time the average life expectancy is 22 months. Sometimes he tells me more that I want to know. He said just to watch out for lumps or pain that is new. It’s a bit scary. He said that my cancer was aggressive and that is not good. Plus I had the misfortunate to be triple negative. Not good either. They have a greater chance of recurrences.

My bladder is not working right for some reason and now I am awaiting the equipment to catholicize myself. I go in Monday afternoon to "learn" how to do this. There will be a lot of testing done in the near future to see what exactly is wrong. We are worried about cancer of course but hopefully not.

I also tore the meniscus on my good knee. I'll have the MRI on Monday to see if I need surgery. It is so painful and gave out twice on me today. Sometimes I wonder what life would be like without pain or worrying about every little lump or twinge. Mark doesn't worry about himself but worries about me. Now me - I worry about both of us.

He had a few more bowel obstructions in the last 2 months and that had me worried. His urostomy opening was closing so he had surgery to re-open it. I have to keep up the stretching of the opening to try and break through the scar tissue. It is bloody work but that is normal they say.

I will talk to the genetic councilor tomorrow (I hope) to try and see if my insurance will pay for the BRAC1 test to know if I carry a gene for breast cancer. If I do, my grown girls need to know.

There have been so many smaller things that I can't even remember day to day. I did have surgery 2 months ago to repair the implant on the mastectomy side. It is looking like it didn't work. That side hurts so much all the time. I am not sure what I will do.

Thanks Sophie for caring.

Love and Hugs

(Somehow I get so wordy over here. Sorry for that).

Old 11-05-2008, 02:22 PM   #576
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

(((hugs))) Sammie. You and Mark both deserve a break from all of this!

I hope the bladder thing turns out to be something very simple.

Help us create a StampinUp Gallery Index
Old 11-06-2008, 12:50 AM   #577
Failed Lurker

Hi Sammie

I'm sorry the doctor couldn't give you more positive news. I wish you could get a break from all of this.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:09 AM   #578
Pearl-ExPert

Sammie,
I cannot even begin to imagine what you and Mark are going through. I admire you for your strength and have been following your posts. I wish you the best and am glad you have such a wonderful, sharing relationship with Mark. You two must share much love. Good luck. thinking of you. Rose
Old 11-06-2008, 06:45 AM   #579
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose0165 View Post
Sammie,
I cannot even begin to imagine what you and Mark are going through. I admire you for your strength and have been following your posts. I wish you the best and am glad you have such a wonderful, sharing relationship with Mark. You two must share much love. Good luck. thinking of you. Rose
Thank you everyone.

You know, we are going to celebrate our 40th anniversary in January. I am so thankful for each and every year. Mark has always supported me 100% and me for him. That doesn't mean we always agree but we have never gone to bed angry as we come to some kind of compromise. When he got cancer, I was so angry - at whom I don't know. But his dad and mom died before he was even out of HS and he lived alone in the little white house until he graduated. Our small town kind of "adopted" him and we eventually lived there when married at the age of 19.

Anyway, thank you everyone for all your support. I come here when I am down or sometimes the pain gets to me. I don't think I am as strong as you all and my friends think. I don't feel strong but am just trying to live with the carp that has happened to us.

When I find out what is wrong with my bladder I will let you all know. I can't pee....unless I push like having a baby. It's not too bad unless I have a headache or migraine. Then I want to shoot myself.

Love and hugs to all of you

Old 11-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #580
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

woot!

Sammie!!! A new cancer breakthrough based on an individual's DNA!!!

Scientists Decode Cancer Cell DNA

(CBS) Scientists reported decoding the entire genetics of a cancer cell. They did it by analyzing the cells of a woman with leukemia, reports CBS News medical correspondent Dr. Jon LaPook.

"This is a landmark, this is the first time we've had the complete DNA instruction book, of a cancer cell," said Dr. Francis Collins, the former director of the National Human Genome Research Institute.

Richard Wilson, a Ph.D. at the Washington University School of Medicine said: "We found 10 changes; 10 mutations in her tumor genome that may very well be related to her disease."

This may revolutionize the most advanced type of cancer treatments, called targeted therapies.

Right now, targeted therapy involves attacking cancer cells, but not normal cells. For example, the drug Herceptin works by selectively attacking a receptor found on the surface of breast cancer cells. In the patient with leukemia, scientists went past the surface of the cell, all the way to the center - or nucleus - and examined the DNA, the blueprint for the entire body. By comparing DNA from the patient's cancerous blood cells with DNA from her own normal skin, the researchers found changes present in genes of her leukemia, but not in the genes of her skin.

"What's new here is that this entire encyclopedia of a cancer cell, which is 400 Encylopedia Britannicas lined up end to end, has actually been read out for the first time for a particular leukemia," Collins said.

"The ultimate hope is that you would look at someone's DNA and you'd say 'I know how to treat you based what I found in your genes,'" Wilson said. "'And why you are different than the patient I saw with the same disease an hour ago.'"

The hope of truly personalized medicine is what drove researchers to study the inner-workings of cells.

"Cancer is a disease of the DNA, and we need to understand what goes wrong at the level of DNA, before we can really get good at understanding, diagnosing, and better treating the disease," Wilson said.

"It will result in a revolution in medicine that I believe will only be matched by the discovery of antibiotics," Collins said.

It took about seven years and $300 million to sequence the first human genome. Over the next few years, it's predicted to take only minutes and cost less than $1,000.

For now, it's still a research tool, and cancer patients shouldn't expect immediate treatments. But doctors hope it will have real-life applications within the decade.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4580721.shtml

HANG ON!

Rainsong
Old 11-06-2008, 03:49 PM   #581
neglecting the kids and housework

Ah a child bride...40 years? Such a testament to love, strength and I'm sure great sense of humor.

Hugs to you both. You are always on my mind.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #582
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsong View Post
woot!

Sammie!!! A new cancer breakthrough based on an individual's DNA!!!

Scientists Decode Cancer Cell DNA

(CBS) Scientists reported decoding the entire genetics of a cancer cell. They did it by analyzing the cells of a woman with leukemia, reports CBS News medical correspondent Dr. Jon LaPook.

"This is a landmark, this is the first time we've had the complete DNA instruction book, of a cancer cell," said Dr. Francis Collins, the former director of the National Human Genome Research Institute.

Richard Wilson, a Ph.D. at the Washington University School of Medicine said: "We found 10 changes; 10 mutations in her tumor genome that may very well be related to her disease."

This may revolutionize the most advanced type of cancer treatments, called targeted therapies.

Right now, targeted therapy involves attacking cancer cells, but not normal cells. For example, the drug Herceptin works by selectively attacking a receptor found on the surface of breast cancer cells. In the patient with leukemia, scientists went past the surface of the cell, all the way to the center - or nucleus - and examined the DNA, the blueprint for the entire body. By comparing DNA from the patient's cancerous blood cells with DNA from her own normal skin, the researchers found changes present in genes of her leukemia, but not in the genes of her skin.

"What's new here is that this entire encyclopedia of a cancer cell, which is 400 Encylopedia Britannicas lined up end to end, has actually been read out for the first time for a particular leukemia," Collins said.

"The ultimate hope is that you would look at someone's DNA and you'd say 'I know how to treat you based what I found in your genes,'" Wilson said. "'And why you are different than the patient I saw with the same disease an hour ago.'"

The hope of truly personalized medicine is what drove researchers to study the inner-workings of cells.

"Cancer is a disease of the DNA, and we need to understand what goes wrong at the level of DNA, before we can really get good at understanding, diagnosing, and better treating the disease," Wilson said.

"It will result in a revolution in medicine that I believe will only be matched by the discovery of antibiotics," Collins said.

It took about seven years and $300 million to sequence the first human genome. Over the next few years, it's predicted to take only minutes and cost less than $1,000.

For now, it's still a research tool, and cancer patients shouldn't expect immediate treatments. But doctors hope it will have real-life applications within the decade.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4580721.shtml

HANG ON!

Rainsong
I heard half of this on TV yesterday but I missed some. Thanks for the link and article. Yes, a cure for cancer is coming. Just think that it took 7 years and 300 million dollars to sequence the first human genome and it will be so much faster and cheaper in the future.

HOPE indeed. Thanks my friend.

BTW, I am waiting for the researchers at The Cleveland Hospital for results on a major project they are working on. I gave a ton of blood about 4 months ago and they called today and said that it would be another 4 months for the results if I have something called Cowden's Syndrome. It will be very important for my kids and my siblings. But my genetic counselor is going to go ahead and push for my insurance company to pay for the BRAC1 and 2 tests for breast cancer genes and then CHEK1 for something that I have no clue on right now. Anyway, it will cost the insurance co. thousands and they may turn me down. We will see.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:11 AM   #583
Hardware Hotshot

{{{hugs}}} Sammie.

I just cringe a little everytime I read about what you and Mark are enduring, and I am so sorry to hear about the bladder issue. I know you don't feel strong, but I am awed that your spirit is intact despite all of the constant pain and bad news.

More {{hugs}}}, and prayers for endurance, peace and healing for you and Mark.

Sharon
Old 11-26-2008, 06:24 PM   #584
Cardstock Collector

Oh my gosh! I am a completely new member and I joined JUST so I could send a message to Sammie! I've been reading for a while and stumbled on this thread and couldn't stop reading.

Please, please hang in there! You sound so wonderful and strong and inspirational! My best wishes and prayers are sent your way! Is there any way I can get your address so I can send you something special? I haven't figured out the pm stuff yet, I'm a big doofus on the computer. I'm lucky I got this far. But I had to offer my support!

Please let us know how you are doing, Sammie and Mark. On this Thanksgiving eve your story makes me very thankful for the blessings I have.

Get well soon!
Old 12-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #585
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklee View Post
Oh my gosh! I am a completely new member and I joined JUST so I could send a message to Sammie! I've been reading for a while and stumbled on this thread and couldn't stop reading.

Please, please hang in there! You sound so wonderful and strong and inspirational! My best wishes and prayers are sent your way! Is there any way I can get your address so I can send you something special? I haven't figured out the pm stuff yet, I'm a big doofus on the computer. I'm lucky I got this far. But I had to offer my support!

Please let us know how you are doing, Sammie and Mark. On this Thanksgiving eve your story makes me very thankful for the blessings I have.

Get well soon!
Thanks so much for the well wishes.

We are traveling to Portland OR right after Christmas to see the kids and grand kids. I thought because we are all going to be there that we need a large family picture taken. You never know when one could be missing in the next year. That should be fun - there are 15 of us with the youngest 3.

I am having more problems again. But what is new. I will have surgery on January 12th for a nasty torn meniscus in my GOOD knee. At least it was my good knee. It is so very painful. I could have had surgery late this month but then I couldn't go and see the kids. So I will just have to deal with the pain for a couple more weeks.

I am having a lot of chest pain on the mastectomy side (right side). I am not worried about my heart but am a little worried about the pain. I see my DR. for that sometime in Feb. The mastectomy mound side is ice cold all the time. I called and he said that this is normal. Weird. One side nice and warm and the other cold.

Mark has never worried about his cancer returning but I am so different. It is in my mind a lot. I have stopped reading about triple negative breast cancers as that just makes me worry more. The thing that gets me is that my oncologist says other than blood work and mammograms; there is nothing they can do. If they did a PET scan, he said no matter the size of a growth or tumor, I would still be a 'stage 4'. I should say that I will have an MRI once a year as the mammos are totally worthless for me. I had a 4.5 cm cancer and the mammo 3 days before my surgery couldn't see it. The ultra sound saw a part of it.

Mark will have hand surgery for his Dupetrens syndrome in mid Feb. Hopefully I'll be able to drive then as he will be in a splint for weeks. But he is a good one handed driver if I remember our dating years.

I want to wish every one Happy Holidays or Happy Solstice or Hanukkah or what ever you celebrate if you do.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #586

(((Hugs))) Sammie. I hope you and Mark have a wonderful time with your family!

Old 12-19-2008, 01:23 PM   #587
Hardware Hotshot

{{{hugs}}} Sammie. I have been wondering how you were doing. I had to have a hysterectomy/bladder lift a couple of weeks ago, and it knocked me down a bit. I have no idea how you deal with daily, ongoing pain with such grace after all you have been thru. I'm sure what I am feeling is nothing compared to what you are going thru!

I'm so glad you are going to get to visit your family this month! I hope you have a good trip.

More {{{hugs}}} and healing prayers for you and Mark!
Old 12-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #588
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks Karen and Sharon. I think it is somewhat healing just to be able to write about it. I don't like living with pain every day but that is part of who I am now. Sometimes I think back 26 years ago when I was knocked out of the work force with lupus. As tragic as I thought it was at the time, I became a stay at home mom. Not by choice but it ended up being for the good for me and the kids.

I think when Mark was knocked out of the work force when he got cancer was far more tragic than anything I have been through. He was/is a brilliant computer guy and lost so much. Even though he can't work, we are free once in a while to travel to see the kids and grandkids. If he were working, it would be difficult.

I guess what I am saying is that there is another side of the pain and illnesses we have had. Hmmmm....I am still trying to figure out the breast cancer one yet. I have a harder time living with my diagnosis than he ever did. He never once thought of dying....although his DRs are amazed at his survival. He just never planned on it. Now me, I have thought about it and I try not to get too scared. He keeps me grounded as do my kids. I don't have time to die as the grandkids need to know how much I love them. I want them to remember me fondly ....so I guess that will take a bit longer yet. They are still too young yet to have those kind of memories.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #589
Hardware Hotshot

I am finally feeling down and depressed. I am having surgery on Monday to repair a meniscus tear to the core on my 'good' knee. It has been so painful. I guess all the pain from everything is taking its toll on me.

I was up most of the night with Mark as he has another partial intestinal blockage and was in such pain. He has learned how to throw up everything that is causing pressure on the blockage. It is such a horrible sound to hear him try and bring up what may be far down in the intestine. It's jell-o again. The doctors have no clue what to do. They never expected him to survive this long and he is in a no man's land. It is happening about very 10 days now.

And then I found a small lump on my mastectomy side yesterday. I see my PC for my pre-op for surgery and will ask him about it today. It is close to the surgical site and I am hoping it is some form of scar tissue gone astray.

I need to get strength and over this 'down' feeling and will ask my DR about that too. I just hate adding another medication when I already take 9 meds. The neuropathy is out of control too.

I guess I am just feeling sorry for myself and for Mark. I know there are others with a lot more problems and I have to get myself back into a positive mode. My surgery will need a lot of PT and I just am so tired.

Mark has surgery scheduled in Feb. to correct his Dupetrens on his hand. So he will be in a splint for about a month. I will have to help him take care of his stomas. I don't mind that but he will feel like he can't take care of himself again.

Thanks for letting me vent a little.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #590

((((Sammie & Mark))))

I wish I had some magic wand to make both of you healthy again!

Sammie anytime you want to talk, doesn't hesitate to call or email me!

Old 01-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #591
Failed Lurker

Sorry you're feeling down, Sammie - but don't feel bad for venting; you've been through so much, you've certainly earned the right. Hope things pick up for you both this year.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #592
Hardware Hotshot

{{{hugs}}} to both of you.

How I wish there was some way to make things easier and less painful for both of you. You have every reason to feel down and depressed! I'm sorry that this next surgery will require PT when you are so tired, and I hope that the lump you found is nothing but scar tissue.

{{{hugs}}} again.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:56 AM   #593
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via MSN to nadine529 Send a message via Yahoo to nadine529 Send a message via Skype™ to nadine529

Sammie, my heart goes out to you and Mark. I think of you often & was hoping you both were feeling better. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this - it's just so unfair. I wish there were something that I could do to help you. I know that sounds so cliche (I've heard the same thing a lot myself these past few months) but I sincerely mean it. I'm wishing you both the best of luck, health and everything else I can think of!! Hang in there!!!

C'est moi, c'est tout.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #594
Hardware Hotshot

Well, I am a few days out of surgery and doing OK...other than it hurts. I am off crutches though and use the cane only when Mark is looking. I have enough furniture, counter tops and things to hang on to if I need it. I am being really good and doing the exercises. My only major complaint is that I am so very tired. At first I knew it came from the pain meds but I have decreased them a lot. The day after surgery, both Mark and I slept the entire day. Now it is just naps – and I fall asleep while reading or using the computer etc. I will read something and then fall asleep and dream about what I read. It is so weird.

I start PT at their facility in a week. Not looking forward to all the driving Mark has to do to go there. Bummer. But I just found out that there are 2 Holiday Inn type hotels a mile from us that will let us use their heated pool for 1 dollar a day., I think I will try ad talk the PT people into just telling me what to do and I will do it in the water. Much more comfortable on the rest of my joints and I can do it at my leisure.

I am glad it is over. Now onto to other things.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #595
Stazon Splitcoast

Just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you and sending positive thoughts your way.....

I know it has been hard. But stay strong....OK?
Old 01-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #596
Pearl-ExPert

you sound in pretty good spirits considering this current ordeal -- good for you! SLEEP -- I remember before you were concerned about sleeping so much -- so -- just a reminder that it's OK to sleep and it's your mind/body giving you permission and opportunity for wonderful healing. Take Care
Old 01-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #597
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks Doris and Misty. I am trying to hang in there. I am so tired. Tired of doctors, tired of pain and then of course just plain tired. Plus I am tired of feeling bad - like my own mother never even calls to see how I am doing. That's a whole other thread topic. But it would be nice if she would call me - just once. I always give in and call her every 4-5 days because I actually care if she is OK. She only lives 10 miles from me so I could understand if it were long distance. OK...no more self pity.

My knee hurts more at night and in the cold. Our wind chill tonight is supposed to be -40. Yes, that is MINUS 40 degrees. Mark and I were laughing last night about why on earth we moved back to WI from AZ. Sitting in Phoenix right now would feel pretty good. We are going out there for a week in May and I can't wait to feel the warmth in my joints.

I am excited about one thing though. On Jan 25th we will celebrate our 40th anniversary. Wow. I can’t believe how fast the time has gone by. Give your loved ones a big hug tonight. Time flies by.

Thanks again and HUGS to all of you.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #598
Failed Lurker

Sorry to hear you're in pain, Sammie, but glad you're doing okay generally. I do think you should cash in on the dreaming about what you've been reading - may I suggest interviews with Johnny Depp, or *insert suitable crush here*?
Old 01-16-2009, 04:47 AM   #599
Hardware Hotshot

Hi Sammie! I'm so glad surgery is over. And you NEED to sleep! Embrace sleep, LOL! It's your body's way of healing.

I am shivering just hearing about the temperatures! I think I'd go to those hotels and just stay in the heated pool for a good while.

{{{hugs}}} and prayers for continued healing for you and Mark.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:43 AM   #600
Stazon Splitcoast

Dear, dear Sammie, I am sooo happy to have news of you again, even if not all of it is good. I am so extremely sorry that you are in so much pain. I think of you and Mark often.