Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2008, 08:17 AM   #481
Pearl-ExPert

Keep up the good fight, Samantha -- you are so inspirational!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-14-2008, 08:54 AM   #482
neglecting the kids and housework

Can tears short out a computer keyboard?

Just, wow.

Wow that your rheumatologist helped alleviate your pain in time for your participation in the Relay.

Wow that you and your husband continue to shine such a bringht light of inspiration for us all.

Wow that you made tat lap, together no lees, and that it helped you realize that you ARE A SURVIVOR.

Thank you Sammie for being a true hero. Keep fighting for your right to be free of pain. It was wonderful to "hear" the smile in your posts this morning. Now go get some rest. Isn't Relay held over night?
Old 06-14-2008, 12:14 PM   #483
Stazon Splitcoast

YES, you are a survivor! Still thinking of you....stay strong sweetie!
Old 06-14-2008, 01:51 PM   #484
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

wow.
i'm speechless.

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 06-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #485

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoping View Post
wow.
i'm speechless.
See Sammie you really are a hero

XOXO love you both
Old 06-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #486
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Congrats to both of you for getting around the track! I'm sure it would have been nice to have the family around you - but I think this time, just the two of you, will mean so much in the years to come.

**sniff**

(((hugs)))

Help us create a StampinUp Gallery Index
Old 06-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #487
Stazon Splitcoast

A big {{{cyber hug}} to you both.

I'm so proud that you both did the survivor's walk.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #488
Glitter Guru

I'm so proud of you, Sammie! *Hugs*
Old 06-15-2008, 01:43 PM   #489
Failed Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
Last night was our town’s Relay for Life. I have thought about going and doing the survivors lap for many months now. The lap is a track lap – 4440 yards or ¼ of a mile. This normally wouldn’t seem like a big deal other than my knee surgery and after surgery problems have sidelined me.

On Thursday I went to my Rheumatologist and he saw the swelling and he asked me why the orthopedic surgeon didn’t aspirate the liquid around the surgical site. He was really upset to find out that the surgeon “doesn’t do pain”. They actually work together in the same HMO and in the same building so I was surprised he showed such angry emotion at the surgeon. Anyway he aspirated a lot of fluid and It made a major difference that day and on Friday - the Relay for Life day.

Most of you know that my DH has colon cancer and I had a Relay team for many years. My DD joined a team for us at her Air Force base in Minot, ND. She raised over 1000.00 just by letting people know she was walking for both of us.

But last night was jut a night for my DH and me to quietly walk the survivors lap, hand in hand: tears running down our cheeks; thoughts that we wanted to be together next year: supporting each other and be a part of something dear to our hearts. Next year my kids and grandkid are al coming back for the Relay and my DDs are going to do the fundraising for our team.

It would have been so emotional lat night if they were there. I missed them so much but they are all coming back in a month. We just didn’t plan on the Relay right this year for all of them and their schedules.

I made it around the track the first time with the survivors but we were way behind everyone because I couldn’t walk that fast. But Mark and I got a standing ovation when we did make it to the finish line – several minutes after everyone else. I then wanted to walk around again so I could read all of the names on the luminary bags. Coming from a small town, the names were all so familiar. We saw our own names a few times from friends. Reading all the names was emotional too.

I hurt so bad today but I will tolerate it much better knowing that today I am a survivor.
What a fantastic achievement!!! Well done!
Old 06-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #490
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
What a fantastic achievement!!! Well done!
CONGRATULATIONS to you and Mark, Sammie!

I'm so glad the rheumatologist figured out the problem. I also can't help hoping he tracks down your knee surgeon and engages in some high-impact foot contact with surgeon's gluteus maximus. Or better yet, asks him to sit still for a moment while he injects surgeon with the fluid he aspirated from your knee, which hopefully might lead surgeon to reconsider his stand on pain management the next time a patient complains about their pain level.

Your relay lap was not only a testimony to you and Mark, but means the world to those of us who've followed your journey. I guess sometimes when we do these things or help a friend with fund raising, weknow in an abstract way that a good thing is happening that will help others. But hearing your story makes me understand all over again, on the deepest level, how important it is for ALL of us never, ever to give up on being there for others and giving what we can to help those doing the research that makes such a big difference.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:07 PM   #491
Stazon Splitcoast

Just reading up a bit here, Samantha. I had no idea about your thread, your fight to beat cancer,and your dh's fight but am glad a dear friend pointed me here. Wow on the Relay and your fight to not give up...you are both amazing! What an inspiration.

You know me...prayers will be going up for you two that you will both stay cancer free!

Even in the longest day, life is still short.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #492
Hardware Hotshot

Default Don't read if you want a happy message - I am depressed

Oh, I am tired and I have really been starting to feel old. I look at the elderly – like my mother – and she seems to be doing fine at age 83. How come I feel 83 like she is? I am in my late 50’s but the medical people have exhausted me. My body has turned on me. I have so much wrong, I can’t even think of everything when I go to a new DR. So I have to take a list. I know the medical guys are doing what they need to do, but I am not sure I can keep up.

My hair is a beautiful white. Yes, pure white. I really kind of like it. It was brown 6 months ago but I think I will leave it white. I feel a bit depressed, tired, my surgical knee hurts, my feet hurt where I had surgery 3 years ago and my back hurts from surgery 2 years ago. My body isn’t worth sh*t. I am just complaining tonight.

My kids and grandkids are coming back for a week the first part of August and I can’t wait. My DH surprised me and said to get a cleaning company to come in to clean the entire house 2 weeks before and then again 1 week before. Maybe they can do a better job of getting cat dander and cat hair up that my grandson is always allergic to and ends up in the ER. I am too tired to wash all the windows and all the extra stuff I like to do when they come. I don’t have much to pick up before hand as there is only the 2 of us here, but I am so happy. Now I just have to worry about meals and my DH is very good at that. We usually make everything we can ahead of time and freeze it so we are not working in the kitchen.

Mark finally starting eating again last night. He has had several small bowel obstructions in the last 6 weeks. I am scared about a big one coming. Three full days of Jell-O - Yuck. I think we need to buy stock in Jell-O. I wish he didn't have so much pain.

This has been one of the toughest weeks for me that I can remember. On Monday I had to drink that gallon of junk for my colonoscopy on Tuesday. I drank that whole gallon as directed Monday night and it still wasn't working that well. So I called them early on Tuesday morning (I was scheduled for 2:30 PM). And they ordered another gallon. Mark was waiting for the pharmacy to open at 9 AM to get it and I drank 16 oz. and figured it was enough. They were running 1 1/2 hours late. So I went 2 days without eating and I was really weak. But at least there were no polyps this time. That was good,

On Wed., I had 2 app'ts downtown again. I had a Genetic app't to discuss the Cowden's research study at Cleveland Clinic. There is not a lot of material to even describe what it means. But bottom line, they are looking to see if the have a bad P10 Gene. This would indicate my body’s inability to keep my body from getting certain cancers and would increase my girls’ chance of breast cancer to 50% plus other ones. It takes 4 months for the results to come back. I had to give a ton of blood not only for them but for the oncology clinic.

I was poked into 4 veins and they had to suck out the blood as it wouldn’t come out normally. But they got their 8 tubes of blood. The Oncology really was not much. My blood is fine. I will have a mammogram in 3 months and then MRI 6 months after that. And then back and forth forever I guess.

Today I had a Neuro-opthamology app't for my Horner's syndrome. That took about 2 1/2 hours as there was a lot of measuring the pupils with and without several kinds of lights, eye drops, just a very long app't. She said she will keep looking for the tumor that is somewhere in me causing this. She said it is probably in the brain stem or upper spinal cord. But it can't be seen yet. She seems worried. So I see her again in 3 months and have to go to another DR in town because she saw dark spots on the outside of my good eyes cornea.

I am totally exhausted. Sorry I seem to be droning on about my crappy health.

Thank you to all who are thinking fo me and care for my plight. It is tough and I thank you for your support.

Love and Hugs.

When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. -- Harriet Beecher Stowe
Old 07-10-2008, 09:18 PM   #493

Sammie, you haev every right and many reasos to feel depressed. I'm happy that you can come here and share that with us. I think of you daily and always my breath catches when I see that you've posted an update. I hope that you can start gaining strength from us as you have given us so much. Iwish I could take this all away for you and your family. You are such a warm wonderful person and deserve a live full of family, joy love and laughter. Not doctor's visits, pain and worry. Hope the cyber hugs help you smile just a little bit.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:25 PM   #494
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh Sammie, <hugs> complain all you want about your health! We are here to listen and to comfort you. It really sucks that your body hurts all over. Life is so unfair.

Your hair sounds lovely, and it is so wonderful that your kids and grandkids are coming!!
Old 07-11-2008, 01:45 AM   #495
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Thanks for the update, Sammie.

Your hair does sound beautiful. The pain, not so good, DH's pain, not so good. But I'm glad you can come here and let it all out.

I had a colonoscopy a couple summers ago, my first. Not Fun. Well actually the procedure wasn't so bad, I was sort of out of it, but that prep is a beeitch.

Anyway, sending gentle hugs your way! I'm glad family will be around, they always seem to be pretty loving and supportive. And your DH rocks, getting the cleaning done that way!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 07-11-2008, 03:52 AM   #496
Die Cut Diva

Sammie, I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time with things right now. You have every right to be down, but I'm so glad you feel you can come here and vent~~

I'm glad you're going to have a housefull of family soon. That is going to be so great for you and Mark!!
Old 07-11-2008, 04:09 AM   #497
Pearl-ExPert

Sammie and Mark, you two just seem to keep fighting a good fight and getting knocked down to your knees and keep on getting back up. Your posts amaze me with your fortitude and ability to keep going. So glad you have a cleaning company coming in and your kids/grandkids visit to look forward to.
I have noticed that certain foods make my pain (arthritis, maybe?) worse - mayo, vinegars, sugar, yeah all the stuff I crave - do you notice if those kinds of things affect your pain? Humidity and heat seem to increase it too.
I send good vibes your way for a decrease in pain and an increase in joy. Take good care and ALWAYS know that when post, especially if you feel down, someone here will check on you and do our best to lift you up.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:23 AM   #498
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you so much everyone. You have no idea how much better it makes me feel to read your posts of encouragement. I am mostly scared of a recurrence (metastases) of the breast cancer. I have an aggressive kind and I just have t keep a positive attitude. This lat week was the pits, but I will try to get my mind back in shape. My oncologist said the survival rate for me if it does travel to my brain (usual place), lungs or liver is about 20 months. Another cancer in the other breast will be no big deal as they will just cut it out. My Onc is very honest and tells it like it is. He is also Mark's Onc. He gives me a hug every time I go to leave and does have a big heart. ]

I can't imagine working in a field where people you get to know die. I would think they must keep a distance so as not to get attached.

Thank you all again and I hope to get out of this funk I am in.

You've all touched my heart.

When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. -- Harriet Beecher Stowe
Old 07-11-2008, 05:33 AM   #499
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
[COLOR=black]
Thank you all again and I hope to get out of this funk I am in.
You will, Sammie. You're a TIMEX!

I missed your post last night. You must have submitted it right when I went to bed.

Anyway, you know.

Love to you and Mark.

Rainsong
Old 07-11-2008, 05:41 AM   #500
Stazon Splitcoast

Sammie, I'm so sorry things have been so s hitty for you.

But I bet your hair is beautiful.

Hugs to both you and Mark.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:00 AM   #501
Hardware Hotshot

{{{hugs}}}, Sammie. I was wondering how you were doing lately.

I hope you and your DH will be able to get some good rest this weekend, and that both of you will have a better week.

Sharon
Old 07-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #502
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via MSN to SnowyAK

(((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))

Old 07-11-2008, 10:22 AM   #503
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Sammy, I had been following your thread and came back to it just today. You are a truly wondrous woman. I have done the survivor's lap at Relay and Iknow how emotional it is, especially to see your own name. Doest seem fair for you and your husband to have to go through all this. Thank goodness you have each other. Please continue to share your emotions - it is a helpful tool to recovery. Thinking of you. Rose (Zoe D. Beagle sends you a healing lick also.)
Old 07-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #504
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Big (((hugs))) to you and Mark, Sammie. I hope you are feeling better soon, and Mark too.

Very warmest wishes to both of you.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #505
Gallery Gazer

Wow, I must have been under a rock or something because I didn't know you were going through all of this for so long! In my defense, I am relatively new to Everyday Chit Chat!

So, here are wishes for you and your husband to be as pain free as possible as you enjoy your company and also my best wishes for all of you in the future! Also, a big heartfelt {{{{{{{{Sammie}}}}}}}}
Old 07-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #506
Pearl-ExPert

Take heart Samantha -- hey, no polyps and your blood is fine -- that's good news -- sounds to me like there is some healing going on to help you fight the rest, and Mark is eating again. I'm sure you will really enjoy your family when they arrive. They will bring some much needed sunshine. Try to rest when you can -- I can imagine all that poking can be very tiring to say the least.

Sending out many happy thoughts and good wishes for more recovery and relief from your pain. Take care.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:20 PM   #507
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks for the happy thoughts. I think I am a little bummer out lately. But I am very excited that my kids and 5 grandkids under the age of 8 are coming for a week next week. Because they all have birthdays within 6 weeks and they all live out of state, I am having a big birthday party for all five. I am going to make a train and each child will have his won. The oldest will be the engine and the 3 y/o is the caboose. Yikes I hope I don't mess it up. I am going to make 5 mini cakes and for wheels I will put them on Swiss Cake Rolls. I'll use marshmallows for the smoke stake and string licorice for the tracks. That is as far as I have gotten.

Anyway, right after they leave, I am having surgery again on the 12th of August on both sides of the chest, The implant that was put in 3 months ago had to be put under the muscle and it had ripples and is stuck to the muscle and is causing a lot of pain and the other side needs correction to. They had to cut out the nip*le and move it but the breast had partially fallen. So the Doc is going to fix that.

I saw the DR about my Horner's Syndrome and they haven't found the tumor yet that could be causing it. She said it would probably show up in the brain stem. Jeepers. Give me more to worry about. I have a brain MRI when they thought I had metastases to the grain about 5 months ago and it was OK, but the brain stem was not a good picture. SO why not do the brain stem????

Mark was checking out our insurance and we both have caps on the amount they will pay for a lifetime. It made me sick. O I went online to see what my costs have been in just the last 9 months and they are huge. So are Mark's. I can't think about that now because I couldn't sleep if I have to worry about that too.

I am scheduled for my first follow-up with a mammogram one month after my surgery and I don't think I can go through that pain. Then the next one in 3 months will be the MRI. They will alternate each time. Maybe I can talk my oncologist into doing an MRI first.

Oh, brother. I feel like a complainer. But my hair is growing back and is a gorgeous white. Pure white. I went in with brown hair and now have 1 inch long white. I kind of like it.

Hugs and love to all of you who have followed my saga and give me incredible strength.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:45 PM   #508
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks for the update!

The cake you are going to make sounds so cute! The kids will love it.
Now I'm hungry for a swiss cake roll, LOL!

Sorry you have to have surgery again. I hope that it will help take some of the pain away, tho.

If you are going to talk to the dr. about doing an MRI anyhow, maybe they can do one on the brainstem, too?

Your hair sounds pretty--I have a friend who is snow white (in her 50's), and it is so striking.

{{{hugs}}}
Old 07-29-2008, 09:10 PM   #509
Stazon Splitcoast

Complain away Samantha! That is what we are here for!! The financial burden after the caps would make me sick too.

The train cake sounds like a lot of fun!! I hope you have a lot of fun with your kids and grandkids!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:10 AM   #510
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonw05 View Post
Thanks for the update!

The cake you are going to make sounds so cute! The kids will love it.
Now I'm hungry for a swiss cake roll, LOL!

Sorry you have to have surgery again. I hope that it will help take some of the pain away, tho.

If you are going to talk to the dr. about doing an MRI anyhow, maybe they can do one on the brainstem, too?

Your hair sounds pretty--I have a friend who is snow white (in her 50's), and it is so striking.

{{{hugs}}}
Yes, I will ask. But my guess is that the oncologist will say no. I am not even sure he will let me do the MRI and probably will just delay the mammo. That scares me too. I am tired of being worried and so I am trying to work on not thinking about what could happen. The neuro ophthalmologist is in charge of the Horner’s to keep looking for a tumor. I want to be carefree again, but those days are gone by I think. Wow, this sounds like depression talking. I am on an anti-depressant but it is working with the Neurontin for my neuropathy. Maybe the dose should be increased. Another DR call I think.

Mark has a had way too many episodes of bowel obstructions too and I am scared of what is coming.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #511
Hardware Hotshot

man, it just never stops for you and Mark! more {{{hugs}}}

I hope the dr. lets you have the MRI--and I also agree that it would be a good idea to see if you can adjust the anti-depressant dose. My DD and my DH are on pretty high doses of zoloft for anxiety/depression/add--and when we tried to wean DD's dose down, it was a disaster. She is great on the higher dose. So, I'm all for at least trying!
Old 07-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #512

Sammie the one thing that struck me in your update was that you feel you gain strength from us. I've always felt by sharing your story YOU were giving US strength. I'm glad we can return the favor.

I hope everyday that we hear of your improvement both physically and emotionally. I am overjoyed that you get to spend time with your kids and grandkids. I know that will really booster your happiness. But also please don't over due it. If you need to take a moment to rest in another room do so. They will understand. You might even get some special free cuddle time with the GKs

I hope you enjoy making the cake and remember to share a pic with us here. It sounds adorable and really creative.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:42 PM   #513
Hardware Hotshot

My BIL shot and killed himself 2 days ago in my sister’s and his laundry room.... she found him. He was in my class in high school so he was about 58 or 58. My sister and her 2 married children are in shock. She said there were no signs that anything was wrong or that he was depressed. I went to her home as soon as I heard and it was terrible. How does one ever get the image of finding one's lived one dead and full of blood in their house? My sister went from talking to crying and trying to think about what she could have done to prevent this. I still can’t believe this. He was always quiet, but even my sister said that as far as she knew, he wasn’t depressed. What a horrible thing to happen.

I am having surgery tomorrow. The surgery is for repairs and replacements. I had an implant put in the side of my chest when I had the mastectomy. They have to put them under the muscle after mastectomies are done. They then stretch the muscle and skin over several weeks. That was done many months ago. But the implant has stuck to the muscle and has rippled badly. It has to be removed. He is going to replace it with another type. I hope it works. On the other side, he had given me a "lift" for symmetry. He had cut all the way around the nipple and moved it with the lift so it would look normal. But part of the breast has fallen and it is now crooked – and I am not that big.

So he has to re-do the lift and then place something under the breast to keep it in place. I will be having it done as a day surgery though because I just want to come home tomorrow night. I think I can manage the pain with meds here. The hospitals are so noisy. After what has happened with my BIL, I need 1 1/2 good days of sleep to be able to go to the service Thursday night. It will be painful, but not as painful as what my sister's family is going through. I'll be all taped and stitched up, but I am going.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:48 PM   #514

oh sammie.

hugs.

words can't say what i feel for you.

To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 08-11-2008, 06:56 PM   #515
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoping View Post
oh sammie.

hugs.

words can't say what i feel for you.
Thanks. I can't even begin to fathom what my DS's family is going thru. I am feeling down and am nauseous about it all.

BTW, I can't figure out how the 2 words in my previous post are in red. I didn't do that on purpose.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #516
Pearl-ExPert

Dear Sammie, I am so very sorry that your brother-in-law killed himself. How horribly devastating for his wife and children, and the rest of the family. I would wonder what I could possibly do to bring them comfort, and I would not have an answer. Prayers that your surgery is fairly mild on the pain scale, and that pain meds will keep you able to function so you can be there for your sister. If we have any extra strength around here, on SCS, I will send my share to you to share with your sister. When the shock wears off she will need something and someone to turn to. I wish I could think of something helpful to reply with, but suicide leaves one so speechless with the bald horror of it. I am so very very sorry.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:58 PM   #517

i don't see the red words...

hugs again.

and good luck tomorrow.

To date 20 completed!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #518
Stazon Splitcoast

Sammie, my deepest sympathy to you and your sister on her husband's death.

And sending good thoughts for your surgery.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #519
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Oh Sammie, I'm so sorry!!! ((hugs))

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 08-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #520

I have no words. Just hugs and warm thoughts to surround you all.