Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2008, 06:23 AM   #401
Stazon Splitcoast

I hope you knee surgery goes well Sammie. Just four more days.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-20-2008, 09:52 AM   #402
Hardware Hotshot

I'm so glad you are back home, Sammie. I hope that you can get some good rest in your own bed.

{{{hugs}}}
Old 04-21-2008, 12:47 PM   #403
Failed Lurker

So glad you're home!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:06 AM   #404
Hardware Hotshot

Well….. I have knee surgery tomorrow. I am a little anxious but so excited that the majority of my pain will be alleviated after a few days. According to the DR. I have a bad tear in the meniscus and then a tear that crosses the first tear….kind of like a “T” tear. Then the back of one of the tears has ripped away and curled backwards and is stuck in the center or middle of the knee. I am skipping the medical terms as I have no clue what they were saying anyway other than there a multiple tears. He did say that he couldn’t believe I had been able to tolerate the pain this long. Damn breast cancer got in the way. The 1st little tear happened before I was dx’d with BC and then came the dx and we knew then that I couldn’t have surgery while taking chemo or at least a month after the chemo.

I called the reconstruction surgeon’s office yesterday worrying about having another surgery 6 days later. He called this morning and cancelled my scheduled surgery 6 days later to take out the expander and the reconstruction. I am actually relieved about this as I will have to use crutches and then a walker for a while. He said this could interfere with the muscles used in the chest and cause a whole lot of pain and more potential problems. So my breast surgery is rescheduled for May 14th. One thing I don’t need is more pain after the knee surgery pain has gotten better. The expander is not hurting me so I can wait.

I am feeling more secure about having no hair. I no longer even wear a head covering when I go out to the Dr.s offices, or to get meds or even to the store. I just decided that being bald is part of who I am right now and if it makes a few uncomfortable, that is their problem and not mine. No hats. My hair is just starting to come in. My head feels like a baby’s head – kind of soft and a little fuzzy. I can’t tell what color yet. But it is coming in!!!!

I am excited, anxious, scared, happy and more - all together at once. Go figure. But by this time tomorrow I will be in la la land.

When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. -- Harriet Beecher Stowe
Old 04-23-2008, 08:09 AM   #405
Stazon Splitcoast

Samantha, good luck and best wishes for the surgery tomorrow!!!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:13 AM   #406
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

With or without hair, Sammie, you're a beautiful person--inside and out.

I'm all a twitter over your knee surgery! Dh had the same type injury many years ago. The surgery is "easy" as surgeries go, but the recovery for him wasn't. Did they warn you about blood clots? They did dh and sure enough, he got one. Ended up back in the hospital for ten days. Drove him nuts not to be home for so long. Boy, that sounds disheartening--just pretend you didn't read it! (grin)
But do ask about clots.

Since the expander isn't bothering you, I'm glad the doc postponed its removal.

BTW--have you ever considered having a body zipper installed?

Love and hugs--dang!--I forgot to call you this weekend! I hate my brain.

Rainsong
Old 04-23-2008, 08:39 AM   #407
neglecting the kids and housework

Sounds like you are feeling really perky I'm glad the second surgery has been postponed. You need sometime to feel good and recover from the knee surgery. As I've said before my younger brother had it last year with a very serious tear. THe crescent of the miniscus essentially tore lose and folded over so he could not straighten his leg. Apart form his dealing with the upset stomach from the pain meds he was about 100% in a week.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and everyday until we hear you are back to your perfect self.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #408
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Hello Sammie!

I will definitely be thinking of you tomorrow and hoping all goes well with the surgery and recovery. That tear just sounds horribly painful. I hate that everything ganged up on you all at once but also VERY glad that everything's turned out to be treatable.

I wish you a speedy recovery and I'm glad to hear they've postponed the second surgery. May you heal quicky, and as V said, stay as 'perky' as ever! Hugs to you, and to Mark, too!
Old 04-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #409
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Hey Sammie, when one of our bunko ladies went through chemo last year for breast cancer, she would show us her head every month. She had a nicely shaped head! Then we got to feel the fuzz coming back in and it's just like you said - soft like baby hair!!! It was pretty neat that she felt comfortable enough with us.

Anyway, best of luck with the surgery tomorrow.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 04-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #410
Failed Lurker

Good luck for the surgery tomorrow, Sammie - here's to baby hair and no pain!
Old 04-24-2008, 02:24 PM   #411
Die Cut Diva

Hi Sammie, Just wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers today.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #412

Just got this email:

Hi,

I had my knee surgery today and according to the DR. the surgery went well. He showed Mark pictures of what the knee liked like before, during and after the surgery. He took out all the bad meniscus and that was it. It went really fast. We were at the hospital at 8:30 AM and in Sun Prairie for a RX before 1 PM.

I feel well and only ache a little. This is so much better than before the surgery. I hope it stays this way. But he did say that I am full of pain killing drugs so I should be feeling pretty good. Yup. He's right!!!!!!!. What an incredible relief and difference. Apparently there will be pain as all this wears off, but it will be a surgical pain and nothing like I had before the surgery.

Iʼm not going to use crutches and will use a walker as needed. I just feel so good that slowly they are putting me back together piece by piece. I have one main surgery left on May 14th and then I really hope I will be done and able to get on with my life.

Thank you all for the concern through e-mails, phone calls, thoughts and prayers.

Love,

Sammie

Rainsong
Old 04-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #413

RS thanks for passing this on. I'd been cheking in throughout the day.

Sammie sounds like you are on the mend.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:04 PM   #414

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
RS thanks for passing this on. I'd been cheking in throughout the day.

Sammie sounds like you are on the mend.
Not a problem--unless Sammie objects.

I'm still mad at myself for not calling last weekend.

Ah well. New weekend coming. Give her a chance to recuperate a bit.

Rainsong
Old 04-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #415
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsong View Post
Not a problem--unless Sammie objects.

I'm still mad at myself for not calling last weekend.

Ah well. New weekend coming. Give her a chance to recuperate a bit.

Rainsong

I don't object alt all. If I remember, I will call you!!!

The pain is different and it is a nice kind of different pain. The Doc said he just cut out all of the meniscus that was affected. Shoot. If I had known that, I would have done it myself..

The Doc said that I have arthritis in the joint and Mark asked “why” and “what should we do?”

The Doc looked at him and aid “she is almost 60. I would be surprised if she didn’t have arthritis”. Kind of funny. I laughed so hard when Mark told me. Poor Mark. He tries.

Even thought this surgery had nothing to do with my Breast Cancer, I feel good. Really good about the cancer; maybe it's the drugs.

I have to go and put my legs up now and keep them up and over my heart. Mark keeps volunteering to put them there, but I keep telling him I have a headache.

Thanks Rainsong ……….Hugs to everyone.

When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. -- Harriet Beecher Stowe
Old 04-24-2008, 05:44 PM   #416
Glitter Guru

Sammie,
I just want you to know that I'm thinking about you. *HUGS*
Old 04-24-2008, 05:46 PM   #417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha View Post

The pain is different and it is a nice kind of different pain. The Doc said he just cut out all of the meniscus that was affected. Shoot. If I had known that, I would have done it myself..

The Doc said that I have arthritis in the joint and Mark asked “why” and “what should we do?”

The Doc looked at him and aid “she is almost 60. I would be surprised if she didn’t have arthritis”. Kind of funny. I laughed so hard when Mark told me. Poor Mark. He tries.

Even thought this surgery had nothing to do with my Breast Cancer, I feel good. Really good about the cancer; maybe it's the drugs.

I have to go and put my legs up now and keep them up and over my heart. Mark keeps volunteering to put them there, but I keep telling him I have a headache.

Oh, Sammie, I think your pain meds are wonderful! It's so good to see you making funnies.

Give Mark a little

kiss.

Love,
Rainsong
Old 04-24-2008, 05:46 PM   #418

Quote:

You almost sound perky here you'd better be careful.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:49 PM   #419

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
You almost sound perky here you'd better be careful.
No, no. Not "perky" yet. "Perky" comes next month!

Rainsong
Old 04-25-2008, 07:56 PM   #420
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
No, no. Not "perky" yet. "Perky" comes next month!

Rainsong
I hope "perky" comes next month too. I don't have all the great IV pain meds in me today (only RX ones) and all I have to say at One Day Post Op is: OUCH. I think I exercised my knee too much today. But I didn't use either the crutches or the walker. I can walk just fine. As long as it it from the couch to the bathroom and back again. But tonight I am back at: OUCH.

Just between you and me, I think some one lowered the toilets in the house abut 6-8 inches. What a pain to try and get off. But I have figured out a way for that too.

Every day
Either I vehemently refuse pain
Or I long for a refuge
From pain.

Sri Chinmoy

Old 04-25-2008, 10:02 PM   #421
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Ahhh, Sammie, those toilets!!!

When I threw my back out really bad a long time ago, DH actually had to help me get up. He was such a sweetie....

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 04-26-2008, 06:07 AM   #422

Quote:
I hope "perky" comes next month too. I don't have all the great IV pain meds in me today (only RX ones) and all I have to say at One Day Post Op is: OUCH. I think I exercised my knee too much today. But I didn't use either the crutches or the walker. I can walk just fine. As long as it it from the couch to the bathroom and back again. But tonight I am back at: OUCH.
[
Welcome home Sammie!

I very much hope that the OUCH turns into a more muted color and smaller font soon, before going away altogether.

Oh, and have I mentioned how 'perky' you sound???
Old 04-26-2008, 11:45 AM   #423
Stazon Splitcoast

Sammie, I am SO HAPPY that you're only feeling a big OUCH, and that it is much better than before the surgery!!! I hope the pain is lessening still.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #424
Mad Swapper

Sammie,
The key to post op on the knee surgery is to keep taking pain medication on a regular schedule for the first few days. If you give it up and the pain gets ahead of you, it's hard to get it back under control. Also, places that sell/rent medical-type equipment have a thing-y you can put on the toilet to raise the seat a little...it's a wonderful thing and not very expensive.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:03 PM   #425
Hardware Hotshot

I have had a few requests to post an update on my knee surgery. Well, I went from a big "OUCH" to incredible pain. I went to see the orthopedic surgeon 7 days after surgery (last week) with pain that was about a 9 out f 10 - even on pain meds. He said that this was to be expected. HUH??? For the life of me I can't remember which Doc told me that this surgery was a piece of cake. I thought I could get through this fast and made light of the pain early on as I thought I only had to tolerate it a short time.

He said that because he really dug around in there and caused a lot of nerve cutting etc., that my recovery would be around 6-8 weeks. I am not a baby, but the pain has really started to get to me. I don’t need this added pain going into my other surgery on Wednesday.

If I can keep it iced all the time, I do well. But I can’t always do that. Today we took out my mother for a Mother’s Day gift. I just hurt so much because we were gone so long. I had a DR. app’t first so it was a long day. Days that I have DR app’ts on are very painful days. On Monday I started rehab and I am dong the exercises. Mark brought up the stationary bike and put it in the family room in front of the TV – so I am using it. I am just so very tired and just plain tired of hurting.

Next Wednesday I will have reconstruction surgery. He will take out the expander on the mastectomy side and put in the implant. On the other side, he will do a breast lift to try and make me look symmetrical. He thought it would be about a 2 ½ hour surgery. I will spend the night in the hospital and then come home to heal. I am hoping that is the last surgery and I can just take a deep breath and get on with my life. I want to be able to walk without almost crying by night-time and I want to stop thinking about breast cancer and metastases for a while.

Mark will probably update this site on Wednesday night after my surgery.

Oh, my hair is starting to grow back. I measured it last night and it is about 1/8 inch long. Yeah!!! I think it is white too. I went out as a brunette and am coming back as a white hair lady. – Not that the brown was real. My eyebrows came in really dark though. Who knows what I will look like.

I apologize if I haven't responded to thank you, my friends, through PM's etc for your beautiful cards and nice and kind PM's and posts. You keep me going. Thank you.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #426
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh Sammie, that SUCKS about the pain!!! I'll be thinking of you. Six more days 'til your next surgery. I hope the knee pain will have lessened by then!!
Old 05-08-2008, 05:05 PM   #427
Hardware Hotshot

{{{hugs}}} Sammie. I just can't begin to imagine--I am hoping so much that you will be feeling better before your next surgery. You have been through so much--

I just don't have the right words, so here's another {{{hug}}}
Old 05-08-2008, 06:29 PM   #428
Pearl-ExPert

Sammie, you are a woman of courage. And whether you realize it or not, you are helping us to be women of courage too. I am sorry for all of your pain, but I am glad to hear you've got hair growing back - little ray of sunshine for you I hope!
Old 05-09-2008, 08:13 AM   #429
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrysmom View Post
Sammie, you are a woman of courage. And whether you realize it or not, you are helping us to be women of courage too. I am sorry for all of your pain, but I am glad to hear you've got hair growing back - little ray of sunshine for you I hope!
LOL. It's weird. My head feels like a baby's head. It's fuzzy and soft. Most of the time when I am sitting watching TV, I will find that my hand is on my head just feeling my hair. I love it. I hope that when it gets longer, like a whole inch, I can control it.

What do I do to get it to do anything other than just stick straight out? Baby jel? I am proud of my 1/8 inch hair. Like I said, I must be weird. No hats right now as I want to show off my locks of hair. It also a comfort with the pain. My knee is so painful, yet my head feels so cool. It must be a pain releiver of some sort. Weird - yup.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #430

Hello Sammie!

I'm so sorry to hear that your knee's been so painful. A very dear stamping pal's husband had similar difficulties after his surgery and was just in huge pain for a few weeks, even without all the other difficulties you've faced, though I didn't want to relate his experience earlier as it sounded like other folks have had it turn out to be much easier. I very much hope and keep saying prayers that every day brings you one step closer to the end of the ordeal and restoration to better health.

Your head sounds so adorable though. Your hair sounds as though it must feel like a newborn kitten--so very endearingly soft and fuzzy. I wonder if your head has that same comforting, happy feel of a fuzzy little kitten--it just makes your heart happy to hold one and feel so much soft newness, all cuddled against your hand. It sounds as though you have your very own fuzzy comforting head to take with you everywhere. How does DH like it?

It's lovely to hear you sound in better spirits despite the pain. (((Hugs))) to you, Sammie, and thank you again for taking all of us along with you on this long journey, even if we are not quite as endearingly soft as your new hair.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #431

Let's see. You can part it in the middle and flatten it with hair gel. Spike it with mousse. Dye the tips in different colors. Stripe it. Make polka dots. Or plaid...or you could STAMP IT!

Rainsong
Old 05-09-2008, 12:28 PM   #432
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Let's see. You can part it in the middle and flatten it with hair gel. Spike it with mousse. Dye the tips in different colors. Stripe it. Make polka dots. Or plaid...or you could STAMP IT!

Rainsong
I am laughing so hard. I hadn't thought of stamping it. Great idea. Thanks for making my day. Now we just need to find the perfect stamp.

Jane - Yes it is just like a little kitty. Fuzzy and soft. I wish it were that thick though and cute. I have always had thick hair and hope it ALL comes back. Now if I just had some of that little kitty's energy.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #433

Quote:
I am laughing so hard. I hadn't thought of stamping it. Great idea. Thanks for making my day. Now we just need to find the perfect stamp.

Jane - Yes it is just like a little kitty. Fuzzy and soft. I wish it were that thick though and cute. I have always had thick hair and hope it ALL comes back. Now if I just had some of that little kitty's energy.
Easy, peasy.

A bunny rabbit--cause you're raisin' hares.

As for the rest, try catnip.

Rainsong
Old 05-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #434

Hmmm maybe RS shouldn't post while imbibing?

Love to hear the happiness in your voice Sammie. Wish it weren't still tempered by pain though.

I do hope you are journaling or printing these pages so you can look back in ten years and wonder what all the fuss was about. Or should I say fuzz?

And I want to thank you again for sharing your strength, sorrows, smiles and story with us. You are entirely wonderful and such an inspiration. Even of you aren't perky all the time
Old 05-13-2008, 06:49 AM   #435
Hardware Hotshot

First, Victoria, I am journaling about everything along the way I have a Blog that is still private and I have 2 notebooks that I take to the DRs offices to write down everything that is said. When this is over, I am going to try and put it all together. A lot of what is in the Blog is also in my posts here.

I can’t believe my final surgery is here at last. Tomorrow. Tomorrow. I have knots in my stomach today. It’s weird. I am more scared about this surgery than the mastectomy. I know though how much it hurts to put anything under the muscle and that is what will happen on the mastectomy side. I don’t know how much the breast lift on the good side will hurt though. Probably hurt some. What a baby I am feeling like.

I keep saying this, but I want all this to be over. Over. I am scared about recurrences now.

I am also scared because I think there maybe a big problem with my knee surgery. It has started to swell up in places that haven’t swelled up before. I have to have it checked as soon as possible after the reconstruction surgery tomorrow. I feel it is going to give out on me. It would be great if the orthopedic surgeon could check it while I am in overnight tomorrow, but I don’t think that will happen. I am going to ask though. What a perfect place to get an MRI ordered to see if something was missed or torn since the surgery 2½ weeks ago. I tripped over a bag of potting soil in the garage yesterday and I know that I twisted it trying not to fall.

I was supposed to go out to lunch with a good friend today but I just called and cancelled. I just can’t go out while I am a nervous wreck knowing that the hospital hasn’t called yet and scared that I might fall because of the darn knee. I don’t want to do anything that might delay my scheduled surgery.

But I would be lying if I said I wasn’t worried. Talk about feeling like a big baby. I am just scared.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:05 AM   #436
Stazon Splitcoast

Samantha, I'm sending all the virtual hugs that I can to you. Soon it WILL be over. Hopefully your knee will be easy to fix. It's fine to be a big baby. You have all of us to comfort you.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:22 AM   #437
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

(((Samantha))) I hope the surgery tomorrow goes well. Surgery can be scary no matter what else is going on. Just keep your eyes focused on the "after" - you will get there...the BC gone, the knee better. You and Mark need a break!!

Help us create a StampinUp Gallery Index
Old 05-13-2008, 07:43 AM   #438
Mad Swapper

I don't think you sound like a big baby at all...you've been anything but that through all of this! You've been strong, brave, courageous, funny...
(what am I missing, ladies? Feel free to add to the list!)
Old 05-13-2008, 08:06 AM   #439

Sammie,

I very much hope all goes well tomorrow and that you continue to heal and regain your strength. I don't blame you for feeling a bit apprehensive--I expect after a couple of rough experiences with surgery, it's probably not exactly something that leaves you chanting 'whoohoo, let's do it again, whee!!!' You and Mark are in my prayers every day. (((HUGS))) to you.

I hope you're back with us sharing news of a good recovery soon.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:33 AM   #440

Sammie, I can very much appreciate your worry and concerns. But please take a moment to give some of that over to us. Let us bear (bare?) some of this weight. We are here to support you and I for one feel like I've gotten more from you than I've given.

You are always in my thoughts and I look forward to celebrating the end of this journey with you.