Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Everyday Chit Chat (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/everyday-chit-chat-f10/)
-   -   Samantha's Breast Cancer Surgery (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/everyday-chit-chat-f10/samanthas-breast-cancer-surgery-t293635.html)

Samantha 10-15-2007 10:17 PM

Samantha's Breast Cancer Surgery

This thread was started by Mark, Samantha's husband.

The surgeon was able to remove a tumor almost an inch around and a little flatter along with the sentinel lymph node and all the breast tissue. We will know the staging after the pathology report is completed later in the week. The surgery was very successful.

The recovery room was a whole different story. Samantha was in the recovery room over 9 hours due to complications. She is spending the night in a cardiac intermediate care room (between a regular room and ICU).

Mark

emilymomto3boys 10-15-2007 10:39 PM

Thank you for updating, we will keep you and your family in our prayers.

LeahsCreations 10-15-2007 11:54 PM

Definitely praying for you both.

Stampin Wrose 10-16-2007 12:18 AM

Oh Mark,

Thanks so much for the update. I've let her friends know about this thread. I'm so sorry the recovery was so difficult!!!!

Let her know she is in our thoughts. Thanks.

scarlett75 10-16-2007 12:48 AM

Sending love and wishes for a speedy recovery. Give her gentle hugs from all of us.

scrappincat 10-16-2007 02:29 AM

I'm so glad for the successful surgery, but very sorry about the rough recovery. She will be in my thoughts, and I wish her a very quick recovery.

Rainsong 10-16-2007 03:40 AM

Tell her all the "goats" are pulling for her. (And Emily too!)

Much love.

Rainsong

Rainsong 10-16-2007 03:42 AM

Too early in the morning. Seemed to have posted twice.

Rainsong

showmestamper 10-16-2007 04:19 AM

Both of you are in my thoughts.

Ireland 10-16-2007 04:30 AM

Best thoughts going out to Sammie and her family.
Thank you Mark for starting this thread~

sassyat30 10-16-2007 04:57 AM

Mark, thank you for letting all of know how Sammie's surgery went.

Give her love and hugs from all of us.

Sammie, we love you and hope to see you back here soon!

Granny Hawkins 10-16-2007 05:04 AM

Thanks for posting. Will keep all of you in my thoughts.

sharonw05 10-16-2007 05:06 AM

{{{hugs}}} to Sammie.

Thanks for letting us know--and I hope that she is doing better today.

Sharon

usbornegina 10-16-2007 05:08 AM

Prayers go up for a complete recovery.

bessie126 10-16-2007 05:19 AM

my thoughts and prayers are with your whole family right now.
Bessie

SophieLaFontaine 10-16-2007 07:09 AM

Sending best wishes for a full recovery.

Bagpuss 10-16-2007 08:23 AM

Thanks for the update. Glad the surgery was a success, sorry the recovery wasn't so smooth. Hope she feels better soon - don't forget to look after yourself too.

muddy otter 10-16-2007 09:19 AM

Mark,

Thank you so very, very much for letting us know how Sammie's doing. We've all been thinking of her and keeping you both in our thoughts. Please take care of yourself, too, while you're taking care of Sammie.

And if there's anything ANY of us can do, please let us know.

Very warmest thoughts to both of you.

charlalei 10-16-2007 11:55 AM

Also thinking of Sammie and Mark. Strength to you both.

AlysonRR 10-16-2007 02:36 PM

Mark -

Thanks for coming to tell us - your wife is well-loved here and I'm happy to hear that they think they got all the cancer. I'm sorry there were complications, but I hope the remainder of her recovery is straightforward and swift...

Alyson

kellyklp 10-16-2007 08:01 PM

Mark, if you can figure out how to PM me, could you get me your addy? I would love to send a card. I am in WI too, and I have a kitty named Onyx that looks just like Samantha's avatar. Just let me know.

Stampin Wrose 10-16-2007 10:17 PM

Kelly, I have her address, I'll PM it to you.

If anyone else wants to send a card, just PM me.

Softangelkisses 10-17-2007 01:45 AM

*HUGS & PRAYERS*

Please keep us updated!

Samantha 10-17-2007 05:35 PM

I wan t to thank everyone for your all of your kind words. I truly think knowing that others care helps me. also to my DH for starting a thread to let you know how my surgery went. I have the best DH in the world.

I have been in excruciating pain. :( Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would hurt this much. Mark has been great helping me with everything. I will find out tomorrow or Friday what the pathology is for the lymph nodes. I canít imagine having to have another surgery right now. I have to admit that I am a little scared.

This has been like a bad dream. My surgeon is not good on the pain control part and has left it up to me how much to take of a pain med that I already had at home and when to take them. I have a visiting nurse come tomorrow. Mark and I have been doing a good job with draining the tubes and recording everything so I think there will only be one visit. Anyway, this is painful to try and type but thank you from the bottom of my heart.

LeahsCreations 10-17-2007 05:39 PM

I'm so sorry to hear how bad the pain is. I hope things get better quickly.

AlysonRR 10-17-2007 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samantha (Post 7479217)
I have been in excruciating pain. :( Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would hurt this much. ... My surgeon is not good on the pain control part and has left it up to me how much to take of a pain med that I already had at home and when to take them.

I'm sorry you're hurting :-( Whenever I've had surgery I've found it helps to take the pain meds exactly on schedule, otherwise it seems to hit harder and the meds take too long to catch up. So if the minimum interval for the meds you have on hand is 4-6 hours, make sure to take one every 4 hours for at least the next 24 hours so you can stay on top of the pain...

I hope the nurse is helpful, I hope no second surgery is necessary (but I know you'll face it with courage if it is - you want to get everything...), and above all else, I hope you feel much better soon...

Hugs (very gentle virtual ones!) -
Alyson

Carol Lee 10-17-2007 05:54 PM

Best wishes for a full recovery. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Softangelkisses 10-17-2007 05:59 PM

Best wishes for a full recovery! Please continue to keep us updated and I will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers and thoughts!

Illinois Marge 10-17-2007 06:02 PM

Hang in there!

Stampin Wrose 10-17-2007 10:01 PM

It's good to hear from you! Although not good to hear of the pain. :( I just hope it all goes well from here on out.

Thanks so much for taking the time to update us.

sassyat30 10-18-2007 04:53 AM

Sammie, I'm thinking about you and Mark and I'm hoping you'll be able to stay on top of the pain.

I'm so sorry you're hurting, friend. :(

(((Hugs)))

kthaman 10-18-2007 06:27 AM

(((hugs))) Sammie I'm so sorry you are hurting! I'm glad you have your family to help you. Thank you (and your hubby!!) for keeping us updated!

Rainsong 10-18-2007 07:17 AM

Sammie,

Just hugs.

Rainsong

Bagpuss 10-18-2007 07:29 AM

Thank you for updating us and I'm sorry you're in so much pain. Hope you don't have to have more surgery and tell your surgeon/nurse that pain relief is a priority!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samantha (Post 7479217)
I wan t to thank everyone for your all of your kind words. I truly think knowing that others care helps me. also to my DH for starting a thread to let you know how my surgery went. I have the best DH in the world.

I have been in excruciating pain. :( Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would hurt this much. Mark has been great helping me with everything. I will find out tomorrow or Friday what the pathology is for the lymph nodes. I canít imagine having to have another surgery right now. I have to admit that I am a little scared.

This has been like a bad dream. My surgeon is not good on the pain control part and has left it up to me how much to take of a pain med that I already had at home and when to take them. I have a visiting nurse come tomorrow. Mark and I have been doing a good job with draining the tubes and recording everything so I think there will only be one visit. Anyway, this is painful to try and type but thank you from the bottom of my heart.

barbinco 10-18-2007 08:10 AM

Sending hugs and good wishes from Colorado...I hope you are feeling better SOON

sharonw05 10-18-2007 02:59 PM

Oh Sammie, I am so sad to hear that you have been in so much pain. That really stinks. I hope that you are feeling a little better now--keep on taking those pain meds--set an alarm so you don't forget.

Gentle {{hugs}}}

Sharon

muddy otter 10-19-2007 05:20 AM

Sammie,

I am very sorry to hear you've been in so much pain. I very much hope that you heal quickly. Very gentle (((hugs))) to you and a big bear hug to Mark. You're in our thoughts and very much in my prayers right now.

Thank you so much for letting us know how you're doing. I hope you can feel how much we're all behind you with as much warmth and affection as we can all send your way.

Samantha 10-19-2007 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharonw05 (Post 7487906)
Oh Sammie, I am so sad to hear that you have been in so much pain. That really stinks. I hope that you are feeling a little better now--keep on taking those pain meds--set an alarm so you don't forget.

Gentle {{hugs}}}

Sharon

This is what DH said I should do. Just take the pain meds on a schedule right now. When I get behind on them, I am not in good shape. On the other hand, I don't want to seem like a wimp and can't handle what many other women have gone through too. So I am taking one pain pill on average every 3 hours today. It doesn't take away all the pain, but does make it somewhat bearable.

DH and I tried to replace some of the bandaging that was so tight in the arm pit and around my chest. We took a look at the damage. On a funny note - it does make my other boob look bigger.

I am still waiting for the pathology report. If they make me wait until I see the DRs on Monday, I am going to have a sick feeling in my stomach that it is not good news.

When I was in recovery, I do remember telling them I was very nauseous. There were about 6-7 nurses and doctors around me. I don't think they believed me as they did nothing. I said it again and still nothing. Then I threw up like a fire hose and watered down several people. You can't say I didn't warn them. If I could have laughed, I would have. Then I had the dry heaves but told them again that I thought I was going to throw up. They ignored me and said that no it was just the dry heaves. Ummm....nope. I got a whole bunch of people wet again. At some point, the patient does know best. I had the dry heaves all night and they didnít give me anything to stop them until the next morning. The pain was so intense anyway and then to add dry heaving on top of it was not fun. During the night they gave me oral pain meds that I would throw up. Why not anti-nausea meds thru the IV? I have got to find out a whole bunch of ďwhyĒ questions when I go in on Monday.

My voice is stronger today and my DD is flying in tonight. I canít wait to see her.

muddy otter 10-19-2007 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samantha (Post 7492878)
This is what DH said I should do. Just take the pain meds on a schedule right now. When I get behind on them, I am not in good shape. On the other hand, I don't want to seem like a wimp and can't handle what many other women have gone through too. So I am taking one pain pill on average every 3 hours today. It doesn't take away all the pain, but does make it somewhat bearable.

DH and I tried to replace some of the bandaging that was so tight in the arm pit and around my chest. We took a look at the damage. On a funny note - it does make my other boob look bigger.

I am still waiting for the pathology report. If they make me wait until I see the DRs on Monday, I am going to have a sick feeling in my stomach that it is not good news.

When I was in recovery, I do remember telling them I was very nauseous. There were about 6-7 nurses and doctors around me. I don't think they believed me as they did nothing. I said it again and still nothing. Then I threw up like a fire hose and watered down several people. You can't say I didn't warn them. If I could have laughed, I would have. Then I had the dry heaves but told them again that I thought I was going to throw up. They ignored me and said that no it was just the dry heaves. Ummm....nope. I got a whole bunch of people wet again. At some point, the patient does know best. I had the dry heaves all night and they didn’t give me anything to stop them until the next morning. The pain was so intense anyway and then to add dry heaving on top of it was not fun. During the night they gave me oral pain meds that I would throw up. Why not anti-nausea meds thru the IV? I have got to find out a whole bunch of “why” questions when I go in on Monday.

My voice is stronger today and my DD is flying in tonight. I can’t wait to see her.

Oh Sammie!

I hate that you felt so miserable but I have to admit that I laughed too when they got their just desserts for not listening to you! I do think they absolutely deserved it!

And good for you for asking the Why questions. One thing I learned when I went in for surgery a couple of years ago, and again with Dad last fall, is that sometimes following up becomes a self-service job for the patient and his or her family.

Don't know if this helps, but one thing my Mom did when she stayed with me after my surgery was wake me up in the middle of the night to take the pain meds so I wasn't in agony when I woke up. That very much helped to keep it manageable--didn't stop it but helped.

In any case thank you so much for letting us know what's going on. I hope you enjoy your visit with DD and continue every day to heal and get stronger.

jor 10-19-2007 07:38 AM

Sammie - I'm so sorry you are still in so much pain. Take the pain meds. Try not to feel like a wimp. They are there for a reason. And everyone has a different pain tolerance. My husband can't handle a simple headache and I have them all the time. I am a 10-year breast cancer survivor. I needed pain meds after my surgery, too. That is what it is there for.

Praying you get a good report. PM me if you need to talk.