Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Everyday Chit Chat (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/everyday-chit-chat-f10/)
-   -   Military poem (in the right spot) (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/everyday-chit-chat-f10/military-poem-right-spot-t257870.html)

Momto4 06-16-2007 04:52 PM

Military poem (in the right spot)

I accidentally posted this in the wrong forums so, if there is a moderator out there some where please delete it out of current events please!!

I wrote this poem for my baby brother (ok so he isnt really a baby, hes 25) who is in the Army. He has been to Afghanistan two times and is headed to Iraq in another week and a half. I wrote this after he returned from Afghanistan the second time. I hope it touches your heart like it did mine. It is very sad, but the point was for me to show that I know the cost of freedom and it was no where close to free.

I see him and smile as he walks towards me,
thinking what he did so I could be free.
I can see in his eyes and in his face
he was a solider in the USA.
Head held high, moving slow,
injuries beneath only he knows.
The sights in his head have lasted for years,
all of those memories still bring him to tears.
His brothers around him fallen down,
all of their blood spilled on the ground.
Strangers who gave their life for me,
willing to fight so that I could be free.
They all went willingly to fight the war,
none ever doubted what they were fighting for.
The remembered our flag, the red, white, and blue,
and what that means to me and you.
They fought for their families, and for their friends,
knowing they might not come home again.
Freedom is something they couldn't take away,
because all of our men fought there that day.
I shake his hand, with tears in my eyes,
how could I ever repay such sacrifice?
I look at the flag, the red, white, and blue,
and know she is flying because of you.
So if you ever ask who my heroes are...
they are the US soldiers who fought in war.
The soldiers who gave their life for me,
for no other reason than so we can be free.

escaladymom 06-17-2007 08:33 AM

I'm so glad that your poem got posted to this forum! I have been communicating with a female soldier who is stationed in Afghanistan. She is a fellow Splitcoaster as well! She posts here sometimes and updates us. She is a Captain and has over 100 soldiers in her batallion. Her post is called Cards for Soldiers. Many have been sending cards to her for the soldiers there to send back home. I have sent many, and hope to send her some more in the future. I copied your post to her. She will like your poem, I'm sure!
God's speed to your brother, and praying that all our men and women can return safely home very soon!

Momto4 06-17-2007 05:38 PM

Thank you.

Thank you so much. I hope that she does like it. I just wanted my brother and all of the other soldiers to know that there are those of us who have definitely not forgotten them. I know Afghanistan is a "shock to the system" as my brother would say. He also was in charge of his batallion (spelling sry) and had to keep his men uplifted and he said it was extremely hard for some because they had no family or friends writing to them or supporting them. That is so heartbreaking. If you ever need help with more cards or treats or anything like that just let me know. I would be happy to help out.

Babs2g 06-17-2007 06:30 PM

What a touching poem. I'm a military wife (in Canada) and I know how you feel. Luckily, my DH has not been overseas, but I do know others that have. Your poem refers to the American soldiers, that is how I feel about the Canadians too. Thanks.

Debra 06-18-2007 04:07 AM

TFS!

cincystamper 06-18-2007 04:33 AM

Thanks for the poem. My brother is a Marine and has been to Iraq twice. Both times, part of his job required him to collect the belongings of fallen soldiers to ship home to families. He says he'll never be the same after that....

photocropper 06-18-2007 04:50 AM

Beautiful Poem ~ Thank you for sharing.

Momto4 06-18-2007 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cincystamper (Post 6164905)
Thanks for the poem. My brother is a Marine and has been to Iraq twice. Both times, part of his job required him to collect the belongings of fallen soldiers to ship home to families. He says he'll never be the same after that....

Gosh how could anyone be the same. *hugs and much love* to you and your whole family especially your brother. I know someone has to do those jobs, but I know that I could never ever handle doing that. God bless.

scrapbookrosie 06-18-2007 05:29 AM

Beautiful! My baby brother (24) is in Iraq now. We seen him off about a month ago. I know how you feel! I will remember you in my prayers. It has been hard on my mother who is alone. She has started smoking again after having quit 20 years ago. It is very stressful on family. I have my husband and children to keep me busy and to keep my mind off of it, but I feel so sorry for those that have husbands, wives, mothers, fathers, and children over there. I cried when my brother left, but when you are seeing them off and you see a father or mother leaving behind children that are crying and leaving behind a spouse that will have to deal with all of this, it was breaking my heart. This poem hits the spot. Thanks again for posting!

Roschell

Momto4 06-18-2007 03:37 PM

Thank you so much. I will keep you and your mom in my thoughts and prayers as well. I agree it is slightly easier for us. I also have my kids and my family and bf to help me get through the time, but my brothers wife lived with him on base and does not have friends or family close to her. She is in alaska! So I will have to do what I can to pull her through as well. *hugs to you all*

Babs2g 06-18-2007 04:14 PM

unsubbing for now

Rush'd Lady 07-04-2007 08:34 PM

I have two nephews (brothers) in the Navy. One just returned from Japan, so this hit the spot for me. Thanks!

Momto4 07-06-2007 09:03 AM

:)

Im glad that you liked it. My boyfriend actually read it during our fourth of july celebration. It was a big hit and Im glad that it helped people to take a moment and pray and give thanks to all of the soldiers who are all over the world atm or have served in the past.