Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Everyday Chit Chat (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/everyday-chit-chat-f10/)
-   -   Medical assistants (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/everyday-chit-chat-f10/medical-assistants-t549586.html)

Nana2sean 03-02-2012 09:03 AM

Medical assistants

Are any on here? I start class on Monday very excited/nervous but looking forward to a new chapter in my life. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Have a wonderful weekend all.
Taylor

Schweeda 03-02-2012 10:48 AM

I am not one but would love to be one! I love the medical field. Just wanted to say good luck to you!

Nana2sean 03-02-2012 11:39 AM

Thanks so much. I've been thinking of going back to school for a while I've been in the aerospace industry for a long and was laid off in November it's been hard to find a job so with my hubby's support I'm going back to join the medical field. It's only 11 months why don't you go for it?

Schweeda 03-02-2012 03:19 PM

I may someday! I have one year of nursing school under my belt, but ended up in a totally different field. It is definitely something to think about!

dorothyjane 03-02-2012 03:53 PM

I do not know where you live but a lot of markets are inundated with MAs. I am a MA and work the front desk. However I see a lot of really good people being worked to death on the clinical side and they are not paid all that well. I do not mean to be negative because it's great you are starting a new chapter. I just wanted to give some info.

amatore 03-03-2012 01:18 PM

Hi Taylor,

I was once an MA, also (have since gone down a different career path). In a healthier economy I'd say "Good for you!", but that's a big qualifier on any job at the moment.

Last I checked, medical assisting is still a female-dominated field, so be sure to take that into consideration. (I mention this because not everyone does well in an all-female environment.) Be sure you've got the basics down, especially fundamentals like patient privacy, knowing different types of medicines, and double-checking all information. Do you know if you will be front or back office (or both)? Those are two very different types of work methodologies. Also, knowing how your physician/s operate will make or break your experience-- something to think about when you're actually hired on somewhere.

Some fantastic things about being an MA:

It can't be outsourced!

You can work pretty much anywhere-- moving to a large city isn't necessary.

The skills you're about to pick up (and will continue to practice in the workplace) can be of help to your loved ones... that was a chief reason I became an MA, so I could help take care of my mom if she needed it. (She ultimately did, so that made everything worthwhile in and of itself!)

People love people in scrubs. Seriously. Take a walk in the mall or ride a bus or something and you'll get smiled at much more... you're literally wearing your caring nature on your sleeve. Both sleeves, really... and pant legs, too. :)

HTH... best of luck to you :cool:

Karen Trueman 03-04-2012 01:58 AM

... you're literally wearing your caring nature on your sleeve. Both sleeves, really... and pant legs, too.

HTH... best of luck to you :cool:[/QUOTE]

OH!!! Is that why I walked around with baby vomit on my pant leg all day yesterday at work?!!?:roll: