Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2004, 12:34 PM   #1
Kookie Creator

Default Portable DVD Player Question

Do you have a portable DVD player? What do you think of it?

A local camera store is offering a free Homita 7" Portable DVD player with a T-Mobile phone. I checked this model out online and it sounds pretty good. We are on 5-8 hour drives fairly often, and plane rides too. My DH is concerned that if we had it hanging between the front seats in our van that a 7" screen would be too small for our boys to see. But, I'd also like it to be small enough to take on a plane with us. Thoughts?

Jodi
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-19-2004, 12:42 PM   #2
Stampin' Fool

I just got a 7" Mintek at the beginning of the summer and we love it. It is so much fun. You can hang them on the back of the drivers or passenger seat and then the kids can see better. We got in a truck accident a couple of months ago and had to go back 3 hours to get our truck home and I took it so my 13 year old would have something to do ( late night) It was wonderful. It kept him occupied the whole trip. The truck is fixed now and the old man who ran the stop signs insurance paid.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:44 PM   #3
Stampin' Fool

Oh and I am not much of a sports fan, so when my boys are watching sports, I can watch a chick flick and still be with them! Best of both worlds! You won't be sorry! My hubby is in Las Vegas now and took it with him so he would have something to do on the plane. He just took it on as his carry on.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:01 PM   #4
Kookie Creator

We have two boys, and I'd be afraid that if we put it on the back of the driver's or passenger's seat that it would be too hard for one or the other to see. I've seen the hanging cases that hook to each of the front seat headrests and hangs down between them. Have you tried or seen these?

Thanks for your input!
Old 10-19-2004, 01:11 PM   #5
Glitter Queen

I have a 7" also (don't remember the brand name, but got it at Wal-Mart). I love it. I have a 7 yr old and a baby. We had the issue about both of them not being able to see it (baby sitting in rear facing car seat). My older child either holds on to it or sets it between them on the arm rest and angles it. We took it on an 9-hr drive. What a life-saver! The kids were great the whole trip.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:15 PM   #6
Stampin' Fool

Jodi --

I would think a 7" screen is fine for the boys. I don't have the portable DVD player but I do have a portable video in a bag (this was the "in" thing before the dvd's) and I used to hang it between the seats and both of my daughters could still enjoy it. Granted my youngest was rather young at the time and I think she more or less liked the sounds. But, now I have a van with the DVD / VCP with the pop down ceiling screen and it is 7". Same concept at the portable - except just higher. If you are getting it free -- I say go for it. When I purchased my van - this was a mandatory option that I was looking for. We travel quite a bit and I couldn't survive without it. However, now if we are just going to the post office (2 minutes away) -- they think we need to watch a movie.

Another option you might consider is -- depending on the size of your console between the 2 front seats is placing the DVD player there (facing the back). Putting a piece of drawer liner (the non-skid kind) under the player and then you don't have the added expense of purchasing the hanging case.

Did I even answer this question for you?
Old 10-19-2004, 01:33 PM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMi
Another option you might consider is -- depending on the size of your console between the 2 front seats is placing the DVD player there (facing the back). Putting a piece of drawer liner (the non-skid kind) under the player and then you don't have the added expense of purchasing the hanging case.
Did I even answer this question for you?
We just had to purchase a second dvd player. We had the hanging type but if the cords are bumped too much it kept coming unsoldered. I just got back from a 5 hour (one way) long weekend at my Mom's with 5 kids (no DH). There is no way I was going without a DVD player. The one we got sets on the counsel between the front seats. I did just as it states above and it never budged. I drive a suburban. I have 6 kids. I took my old monitor from the old video in a bag (from years back) and put it in the back back seat for the rest of the kids.

I say go for it! If you take a lot of long trips like we do it is worth the peace and quite.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Old 10-19-2004, 01:47 PM   #8
Kookie Creator

We don't have a console between our two front seats. It's just empty space. So we'd have to hang it between the front seats. Or, put it on the seat between them... Temptation to fight over it at it's finest!
Old 10-19-2004, 01:55 PM   #9
Kookie Creator

Message for LESARAPP:

Could you please keep posting a response, even blank, just so I can keep staring at your avatar?! Just kidding, but WOW!

Jodi
Old 10-19-2004, 02:27 PM   #10
Kookie Creator

Wharever you decide, it needs to be really tied down (secure) because in an accident it could become a flying missile. I use my DVD n the front seat, with earphones, plugged into cigarette lighter, so I don't have to listen to my dh's music more than half hour.