Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By cnsteele
  • 1 Post By cnsteele
  • 1 Post By stampinindieeditor
  • 1 Post By steadybeadin
  • 1 Post By cnsteele

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 04:40 AM   #1
Stampin' Fool

Default Please tell me having a puppy gets better!

We got a puppy two months ago. Lily is now 15 weeks old. She is a shichon and will not get bigger than 10 pounds probably. She does not shed. BUT I am SO tired of housetraining and always having to think about her when we go somewhere! We got the dog mainly becauseour three girls wanted one and at 12, almost 11, and 8 they are old enough to care for her. They do care for her most of the time and absolutely love her. My husband and I think she's ok but if it was just us two, we would not have any pets. I just feel trapped and frustrated, having to constantly know which room she is in and if anyone is watching her. I feel trapped because, even though I am mostly a homebody who likes to stay home, I can't freely go places. For instance, I have to take my husband to a doctor's appointment on a day when all thee girls are in school. We will be gone for almost 8 hours. I can't keep Lily in her crate that long, can I? But I can't bring her, either!

Please tell me puppies get better, easier, and more enjoyable! Please tell me I am not trapped!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
Die Cut Diva

look into doggie daycare options or hire an occasional petsitter/dogwalking service for the days you'll be gone a long time.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

I always had big dogs that could last long hours without being let out for a bathroom break. Never thought about a little dog. So sorry about that.

Doggie daycare / pet-sitter/ or kennel option for a day might be good if you are out and leave the general area for the day.

But if you are just doing errands back and forth might as well just pop in the house for a puppy break and save the money.

Then when the girls get home from school it is their turn to take care of the puppy. Walk, feed, check the water bowl, play, make sure puppy has dinner and all the bathroom breaks til bedtime.

Let them know the responsibility that goes along with the puppy even though they have home work, just like you have errands during the day.

This is exactly what I did when my 2 children were this age. We still continue this today.

I am still grateful the little guy never went in my hand as I picked him up and ran him outside as I was house training him. Good little puppy he was!

Good luck with training. But I think with a little dog goes more bathroom breaks because they are small therefore can't hold as long.

Oh, forget. Put a bell on her collar so you know where she is. That might help.

"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Matboard Maniac

I have a new yorkie puppy that is 15 weeks old. He sleeps in his kennel while dh and I are at work. The crate has a slide out tray that I clean when I come home. He is doing very well with potty training, but I cannot expect him to hold it that long. Also, if I have to be in another room working, I put him in his crate with his bed and toys. It keeps him safe and keeps my home safe. I am looking forward to the benefits of having a good, loving dog and the crate system works well for us. If I am going to be in the two rooms he is allowed to be in, then he is free to follow me around and play. Yes, it will get better, if not, I will pull all my hair out!!!!! We could have a hair pulling party!! Jeanne
Old 08-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
Kookie Creator

It does get better, I promise! I had a Golden Retriever puppy that I sometimes felt like giving away, but after that, it's like a kid. You just grow attached when raising them from puppyhood. I figure, if my kid peed on the floor, I can't hit him! It's an accident! Just be patient, and in a few months you'll realize you won't be able to imagine life without the pup. Have you tried puppy pads in a specific area in the house, preferably next to the door? Only for emergencies, when you're out for a long time. Confine the pup to a small area, perhaps with a pen, and make sure there's clean puppy pads inside it.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
Stampin' Fool

We have the same kind of crate, with a slide out tray. We put her in it at night and when we are going somewhere that we can't take her. I always felt bad about leaving her in there during the day for more than a couple hours, but you made me realize that people who both work have to do this and their dogs are fine. Her crate is big enough that she would not be laying in her waste should she go in there and we do have a water bottle and food dish for the crate. Maybe I just need to relax a LOT more and realize that we need to do what we have to do and all of us, including the dog, will have to adapt. Thanks for responding.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
Stampin' Fool

My next-door neighbor could probably use some extra cash and we are friendly with her, so I can ask her to be the occasional go-to person to let Lily out if I know we'll be gone awhile. Thank you for the idea!
Old 08-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
Stampin' Fool

I was wondering if it was possible, after Lily has grown up more, to confine her to a room with a designated bathroom spot that she learns it is ok to go in/on. We could use those pads you are talking about. I am so grateful for all these ideas! Thank you!
buggainok likes this post.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
Stampin' Fool

I think I am going to ask my neighbor if she'd mind letting Lily out every now and then when we happen to be gone longer than normal. She loves animals and I am sure she would love the extra cash. We do not live close to any stores so I can't just run home to let Lily out while running errands. That is why when I do go out to run errands, it is an all day event. The good news is that this happens pretty infrequently. I think I am just panicking over the IDEA of if I want to go somewhere, I can't just go. Everyone's ideas, though, have made me see that this is workable and it gets better and I will learn to love her like my girls do. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
Kookie Creator

Yeah, it can get overwhelming, but like you say, let go of the stress. If accidents happen, just clean them up. Take it easy and enjoy the cuteness and the joy the puppy brings to the girls.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Can I put a Smile on your face???

It sure was easier to potty train the puppy than the kids

Too bad there are not puppy-pull-ups!!

Yep I am in a mood today.

Left the lights on the car today at Wal-mart and had to wait for hubby to come start the car up for me with the kids. At least they were easy going about it!

"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
Pearl-ExPert

It does get better. It seems smaller dogs are harder to train than larger ones. We have a Yorkachon and it took a while to house break him. Since your dog is smaller have you thought about a dog litter box? I have heard that it's often used by people who have smaller dogs and is helpful with training. We also had used puppy pads for our dog when he was younger and they did help to keep him from going everywhere.

Barb
Old 08-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #13
Stazon Splitcoast

I tried to pad train my Shih-Tzu when she was a pup and it just didn't work for us. As soon as I started letting her in the backyard to potty, she was trained!

It does get better, I promise. And, those dogs will love you unconditionally, making the frustrating puppy years all worth it. We also have a (rescue) lab-mix that drove my husband so crazy when she was a puppy that he wanted to get rid of her. I refused to do it and now she's 12yrs old and he thinks she's the best dog he's ever had. LOL

Oh, and my dogs are not crated in my home. They are free to roam the house and we've NEVER had a problem. I did crate the Shih-Tzu when she was a baby and I needed to leave her before she was well-trained. I think my older dog taught her how to behave. The pup just wanted to be with the older dog all the time. Of course, the older dog did not necessarily feel the same way.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #14
Kookie Creator

yes i can relate. in 2010 i got married and we bought a house the day we came home from our honeymoon. As if that weren't enough my dh got a bulldog! I hadn't had a dog in ages, and I didn't want one. It was so stressful. I felt my days off were getting ruined because i had to worry about what he was doing and where he was all the time. If i wasn't paying attention, hed be in the garbage or eating the cat's food. It wasn't until Geno turned two or so that he began to chill out. yes he still gets into things but he knows what is ok and not ok. He knows what his toys are and what he can have. Instead of constantly grabbing our shoes and running with them, he has a tennis ball to play with. I recently got him a metal dog tag that says "my daddy is a marine". I thought it was cute and hubby would love it. It turned out to be a great thing because when he moves it makes a noise so I know if he runs off. I have actually caught him trying to tip toe up the stairs so i wouldn't hear him! You will get used it it and get a routine for you and the dog. I felt so desperate at one point too. I do love him now and im glad we have him. he makes us laugh. good luck with your new family member. try to enjoy her. My cat of 13 years passed away this week and i feel like i took for granted that he had years left when he didnt. I have cried for four days now over that sweet boy. You will learn to love her whether you want to or not.
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.-Ephesians 4:32
Old 08-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
Watercolor Wizard

I can so relate to your feelings! A year ago, we had to put our wonderful 17 year old toy poodle to sleep. My hubby and I were both so sad and missed her so much.

I did exactly what they advise you NOT to do. I dashed out immediately and bought a toy poodle puppy. I had not had a puppy in years and years. We were so used to our gentle, trained, well behaved little companion. I completely was not prepared for how much trouble puppies are to take care of.

A friend brought me her puppy crate to use. It's really more like a play pen, open at the top, but larger than a crate. I set it up in my entry way, because there is a tile floor there, and it's easy to clean.

Not everyone wants to go with the "puppy pad" route, but our other little dog always used them, and we never took her outside. She was paper-trained when we brought her home, and I decided to do this with the new puppy, too.

She took to the puppy pads immediately, and we had great success for a few days. I kept one in her little playpen, which is large enough to have one on the end, and her sleeping space and food on the other. I also put one in the kitchen and living area. We didn't let her have the run of the house when she was out, and kept the other rooms shut off. When I let her out of her pen, she would immediately go to one of the pads. Hooray! I thought - wrong.

She decided it was great fun to rip the puppy pads to shreds and play with them! I searched around on the internet and found a great product for us - washable puppy pads. I decided, if you can wash diapers for babies, you can wash puppy pads for puppies.

I found a set of them at Petsmart and really have had great success with them. They are about the size of a small throw rug, made of a nice fabric, and waterproof. You can just throw them in the washer and dryer. She is so tiny, and only weighs about 5 pounds now at one year old. A little pee-spot the size of a quarter on a puppy pad is not a problem for me. I prefer this method to having to take her outside all the time on a leash, as our yard is not fenced.

I'm retired and am home quite a bit, but when I leave the house I still put her in her little play pen while I'm gone. My husband is 88 years old, has arthritis and is not too steady on his feet. I am afraid she would get between his feet and trip him accidentally while I'm gone.

Poodles are especially intuitive and she has adapted to our routine. When she sees me with my purse, she knows I'm going out the door, and that she will be in her pen until I get back. She also is quite willing to be in her little pen at night. When I start turning off the lights and the TV, she stands by her pen because she knows it's bedtime.

I think we are through the worst of the puppy-time, but for the first few months I actually considered calling the breeder, telling her we made a terrible mistake, and asking her to take her back!

Hang in there, it does get better.

Wanted to add - when I felt bad about leaving her in her little pen, I thought about all the show dogs I've seen on TV at the dog shows. They spend hours and hours in their crates, traveling and being at the dog shows. As long as your dog gets to be out and interact with you for part of the time, I think they adapt. When you think about it, they really do spend a lot of their time sleeping.

I have friends who are still working, and they confine their small dogs to one room, like the kitchen, while they are at work, with no problems.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

Last edited by buggainok; 08-10-2013 at 10:14 AM..
Old 08-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #16
Stampin' Fool

I am so sorry about your cat. Growing up, we had several pets for years and years and I remember how sad we all were when they passed away. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and story. I appreciate you taking the time to respond! I am gaining so much insight from what each of you is sharing. Again, I am sorry about your cat.
steadybeadin likes this post.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #17
Kookie Creator

Im starting to feel better about my kitty. (Fonzi). I was thinking about this post, and I wanted to tell you that sometimes I feel like I missed out on enjoying Geno as a puppy. They grow up so fast
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.-Ephesians 4:32