Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 04:51 AM   #121
Crimping Master

Except instead of accept is a pet peeve of mine. I've just seen a listing on eBay where the seller "doesn't except refunds". I think she may mean she doesn't "accept returns and doesn't offer refunds".
Old 03-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #122
Stazon Splitcoast

Well I had laugh at myself the other day and wonder how many people on Twitter may think I don't know the difference between "ensure" and "insure" I told a sports commentator that he was attempting to "insure" his job with his comment. And that is what I meant but I do wonder how many people (even on Twitter) rolled their eyes and considered me ignorant.... then he went and retweeted it to his thousands of followers. Yikes!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #123
Kookie Creator

I get annoyed by the recent tendency to place "of" between modifiers and nouns: "Not that big of a problem." I love to think about English language negatives for which there are no positive correlations currently in use. For instance, we talk about "inclement" but never "clement" weather. Or something may be "out of whack" but never "in whack."
Old 02-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #124
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
Just a gentle reminder, that it is that time of year when many people do St Patrick's Day projects.

The correct abbreviation for St Patrick's Day would be Paddy for Padraig/Patrick and not Patty which is the shortened form for Patricia.

I know a lot of retailers even get it wrong and there are plenty of wrong stamps around.

Hope that helps and may the luck of the Irish be with you.

It's the time of year for this thread again
Old 02-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #125
Rubber Obsessor

I'm glad to see this thread because I was under the impression that the term "Paddy" was offensive to the Irish, so I've always used "Saint Patrick" instead.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #126
Matboard Maniac

Loving this thread. Used these kinds of errors to teach my students last year. And I was glad to see the comments on "nu-cu-lar" and "re-la-tor" I literally cringe when I hear them mispronounced like that. (or should I say, mis-pronounciated, whixh I overheard the other day?)

If you really want to laugh, check this book out:
I Judge You When You Use Poor Grammar: A Collection of Egregious Errors, Disconcerting Bloopers, and Other Linguistic Slip-Ups: Sharon Eliza Nichols: 9780312533014: Amazon.com: Books
Or the follow up, "More Badder Grammar"

And thank you for letting us know about St Paddy's Day - I never knew that! And the four leaf clover too. Thanks for sharing.

I always learn something new around here.

My avatar is my beloved corgi, Cora
Old 03-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #127
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krysiad View Post
I'm glad to see this thread because I was under the impression that the term "Paddy" was offensive to the Irish, so I've always used "Saint Patrick" instead.
TBH it "can" be. However in context of St Patrick's Day and/or the name Patrick/Padraig/Paddy it is correct and isn't offensive. In regards to put downs such as "Paddy wagon" and generalizations about the nation it can be and it can be as much of a put down but again depends on context and how and to whom/by whom it is said. There is a whole Dave Allen skit about how people in the UK call each other "bad" names the closer they are and how it is ok. If I could find it I would link it.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:04 AM   #128
Insane Embellisher

I am also happy to see this thread brought to the top of the list again.

Shyla -- Please add "jew-ler-y" to your students' list of mispronunciations. I'm going to check on those books you recommended, they sound like fun reading!
Old 03-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #129
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Send a message via Skype™ to philsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie123 View Post
Voila is pronounced with a "V" and is NOT "walla". This drives me crazy! I am of French heritage and cannot believe how many people mispronounce this word. Great thread!
My pet peeve walla too or when voila is spelled viola. A viola is a flower.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #130
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticus View Post
... The 'bins' and 'sez' aren't to do with dialect but all to do with sloppy speech. Any child heard uttering either of those words when I was at school would be told "The bins are kept outside" or "Sez comes from the gutter"!! All UK politicians, BBC journalists and announcers constantly use the two words incorrectly. Yesterday afternoon someone was reading an extract from a Charles Dickens book and read 'been' as bin! Could not believe it ...
I don't agree with this at all. If this were the case, then a whole country - Canada - would be full of lazy speakers. It is a matter of regional difference in pronunciation. This was the topic of another thread about a year ago, when I expressed the same opinion of the word "often". I pronounce it with a silent "t" and was taught that way in school. It makes me cringe to hear people pronounce it with the "t". I was told by my teachers that it was "lazy and/or uneducated people" that pronounced it with the "t". If someone pronounced the "t", she would always ask "how do you pronounce this word?" and write the word "soften" on the blackboard.

I think a lot of the misuse of certain phrases can be chalked up to people not hearing all of the words and/or because people aren't enunciating fully, as in "for all intents and purposes" which a lot of people hear as "for all intensive purposes". A lot of these things irritate me as well, but the "often" one bothers me the most. My father would always call me out when we were young if I misused a phrase or word. I know now it was to point out my error, but at the time it felt like he was teasing me or trying to embarrass me. I always try to use correct grammar and punctuation when writing - even in casual on line forums.

Long post... I know. A couple more things... A couple words my mother mispronounces and it drives me crazy. She "sez" "Uptober" for October and "pa-tren" for pattern. The funniest misuse has to be from a "former" friend. She always tried to sound educated and would try to use big words all the time. One day she was going on about something she didn't want to do and she said "I don't relinquish the thought" when she meant "relish the though". My (other) friend and I still use that term to this day - about 25 years later. Now this other friend was at a swanky party thrown by her brother, who is a doctor. All is doctor friends were there and she was talking to them when the subject turned to the topic of the newly awarded Rhodes Scholar at the University of Manitoba. She was calling him a "rogue" scholar. I still chuckle to myself about it to this day.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #131
Mad Swapper

OH..I didn't read this entire thread...but A LOT is two words. One of my biggest pet peeves. I'm also tired of hearing/reading I seen. No..you SAW ...I could go on and on and on LOL
McSusie likes this post.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #132
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
I don't agree with this at all. If this were the case, then a whole country - Canada - would be full of lazy speakers. It is a matter of regional difference in pronunciation. This was the topic of another thread about a year ago, when I expressed the same opinion of the word "often". I pronounce it with a silent "t" and was taught that way in school. It makes me cringe to hear people pronounce it with the "t". I was told by my teachers that it was "lazy and/or uneducated people" that pronounced it with the "t". If someone pronounced the "t", she would always ask "how do you pronounce this word?" and write the word "soften" on the blackboard.
Dyslexics are told we are lazy speakers. That is my grammar pet peeve. I work so hard to speak and write correctly. I use my checkers on my computer. I am not a lazy speaker or writer

I say silent with a soft T even though I was taught not too say it with a T. I have a small speech impediment. I know I got the luck of the draw. I am dyslexic, Southern and a speech impediment. Trust me threads like these always make me self conscious. I do read everything so I can learn. I do get self conscious posting.

I do have a pet peeve word. My Mom always says the word potpourri as pot pour eeeee. Drives me insane.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 03-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #133
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Location: In the '82 Los Angeles underground, looking to hire...The A-Team.
Send a message via AIM to mollymoo951

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderstandBlue View Post
Maybe real-a-tors and nuke-u-lar scientists eat there after orientating!

the must be.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, if you can find them, maybe you can hire...
The A-Team.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #134
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Location: In the '82 Los Angeles underground, looking to hire...The A-Team.
Send a message via AIM to mollymoo951

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbenjam View Post
Years ago, dh broke me of the habit of saying tuna fish, when he would ask me if a tuna fish was anything like a chicken bird. He also goes a little nuts when someone mentions an atm machine. I love him, though!

Mary
hahaha...lol

i need to quit saying tuna fish. I think I have. but next time I hear someone say tuna fish...I'm gonna ask if it's anything like a chicken bird.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, if you can find them, maybe you can hire...
The A-Team.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #135
Stazon Splitcoast

OK for me Tuna fish is in a tin. Tuna is a steak of tuna. So I totally understand LOL! TBH I think often "t" depends on colloquialisms. I don't really sweat it as it is a pronunciation and either way. It is malapropisms where people use the wrong word that sounds the same. It seems the world is moving to this and that is just worrying TBH.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #136
Matboard Maniac

One thing that drives me nuts is when I hear people refer to Great Britain /United Kingdom as England.

England is NOT the whole of Great Britian - England is just one country within Great Britain.

Irish, Scottish and Welsh people do NOT like being referred to as English.

If you are visitng Edinburgh or Cardiff or Belfast, you are NOT in England.

Also, the Queen is not The Queen of England, she is head of the British royal family.

There has not been a 'Queen of England' for around 300 years

And breathe...............

Last edited by CandyStripe; 03-05-2013 at 04:54 PM..
McSusie likes this post.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #137
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyStripe View Post
One thing that drives me nuts is when I hear people refer to Great Britain /United Kingdom as England.

England is NOT the whole of Great Britian - England is just one country within Great Britain.

Irish, Scottish and Welsh people do NOT like being referred to as English.

If you are visitng Edinburgh or Cardiff or Belfast, you are NOT in England.

Also, the Queen is not The Queen of England, she is head of the British royal family.

There has not been a 'Queen of England' for around 300 years

And breathe...............
Likewise I can assure you that the English are fed up with being told by the police they aren't allowed to fly the flag of St George in their own country because it may offend.

FWIW I have family from England (children born there), friends from Ireland/Scotland/Wales so I know the difference.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #138
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Likewise I can assure you that the English are fed up with being told by the police they aren't allowed to fly the flag of St George in their own country because it may offend.
How odd, who would they offend by flying their country's flag IN their own country
Old 03-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #139
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyStripe View Post
How odd, who would they offend by flying their country's flag IN their own country
As I have actually had friends told to take down their flags during the World Cup etc. I know this isn't urban legend. The foreign nationals complain. When the complaint is reciprocated it is deemed xenophobic. Odd times.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #140
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
As I have actually had friends told to take down their flags during the World Cup etc. I know this isn't urban legend. The foreign nationals complain. When the complaint is reciprocated it is deemed xenophobic. Odd times.
Although my original point was not about racisim, rather an annoying misconception, I do believe there were reports around the time of the world cup where English fans were told to take down flags from communal areas of dwellings and also from their cars as the flags could be deemed as racist to immigrants.

How can it possibly be racist to fly your own country's flag????? As you say, odd times indeed !
Old 03-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #141
Inking Addict

Doesn't really fit post but I've been grinning reading these.
Her is a sign posted on a school marquee:
"Congradulations Gratuates"

For real! The kids didn't do it either, a staff member!!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:15 AM   #142
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramofsam View Post
Doesn't really fit post but I've been grinning reading these.
Her is a sign posted on a school marquee:
"Congradulations Gratuates"

For real! The kids didn't do it either, a staff member!!
they knew there was a "d" and "t" in there somewhere!
Old 03-09-2013, 03:45 AM   #143
Inking Addict

and the principal is your pal; not principle
and separate is par for the course, not seperate
and develop is not develope, so lop the e off the end
and accommodate is good enough to eat; there are two M and Ms
and what about counselor; not counseler or consellor
and teacher is not techer
and God wants to be big in our lives, so spell it with a capital G
and mispelled or misspelled? Of spelled incorrectly
and when you are in doubt about lie lay or laid or lain? Just say loo; looing; looed. Such fun. e.g. I am going to loo down. (Doesn't it just sound like fun?)
and if St. Patrick's Day has Pat in it, why replace it with a pad?
so when it doubt, be surreptitious and spell however you want and hope you word will be hidden with a bunch of other words especially if you use a run on sentance (whoops! I meant sentence.)
Enuf all ready!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #144
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by montessorigrandma View Post
and if St. Patrick's Day has Pat in it, why replace it with a pad?
As explained previously in this thread the Irish shortened form of Patrick/Padraig (<--- the Irish spelling) is Paddy. Spellings do matter because Patty is a shortened form of Patricia. So to say St Patty - we would be celebrating St Patricia (Feast day is August 25th) her day isn't March 17th and has nothing to do with being Irish or green.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #145
Glitter Queen

I'm a teacher and a good education is very important to me. Good grammar, spelling, and communicating are essential in my daily life.

My daddy was a marine for two years and served in the army for 18 years. He has no higher education and he can't spell, write, or read his way out of a paper bag.

He deserves no disrespect.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #146
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by runzalot81 View Post
I'm a teacher and a good education is very important to me. Good grammar, spelling, and communicating are essential in my daily life.

My daddy was a marine for two years and served in the army for 18 years. He has no higher education and he can't spell, write, or read his way out of a paper bag.

He deserves no disrespect.
What disrespect?

It is disrespectful to an entire country and culture to get it wrong.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:58 AM   #147
Glitter Queen

Sorry, Kristen. I wasn't addressing the OP, which I found informative. It was all the other complaining nonsense that made me bristle.

This morning, I read a blog post by one of my favorite designers about a rude comment someone left her concerning her English. The blogger is German. The comment was about how she needed to enroll in English classes so she could write correctly. The comment really hurt the blogger's feelings.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #148
Stazon Splitcoast

oh definitely agree on that. I respect those that converse in ESL because I would be so lost in the other direction.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #149
Polyshrink Goddess

What about February (Feb-u-ery) or library (li-berry)? Du instead of the or dis instead of this?

PAT
Old 03-04-2014, 03:46 AM   #150
Stazon Splitcoast

Seems like it's that time again for the gentle reminder that St Patty's Day is August 25th and St Paddy's Day is March 17th.

I find it especially depressing when paper crafting companies still get this wrong. That is what spurred the resurrection of this thread.

Enjoy!
McSusie likes this post.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #151
Glitter Guru

Interesting thread! Thanks for the information.

Sue "Zumba Mingler"
Old 03-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #152
Stazon Splitcoast

Not a spelling thing, but a correct phrasing thing:

As an author, I know the importance of getting things right. It's easy to miss stuff even if you usually spell/type correctly because your brain shows you what you think you wrote. And readers are VERY quick to point out every tiny mistake they think you've made.

Well, after explaining DOZENS of times the correct thing, I've started writing, "Another thing coming" instead of "Another think coming." I know it's wrong. It HURTS my eyes. But if I use the wrong ones, I'll have to explain to maybe half a dozen people why I got it wrong. And, it's always in dialogue. People usually say it wrong. So, if I can't avoid it (which I do 99% of the time now), I just write it wrong and deal with a few emails rather than write out an explanation to the world why they're wrong. It just seems so rude.

Sigh.

Yet, with all the people catching errors, not one person has ever emailed and said, "The word is confectionery, not "confectionary." (name of a shop in a fictional town). That cracked me up.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #153
Forum Fanatic

I didn't think "another thing coming" was wrong. It's just a totally different phrase. Unless you're saying "if you think xxx you've got another thing coming" in which case it's wrong, I guess. But I think "another think coming" sounds pretty strange and I never say that for that very reason. It's such improper grammar that I can't bring myself to say it.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
RiverIsis likes this post.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:47 PM   #154
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, yes. That's the context in which I mean. "If you think I'm going to get to stamp today, you've got another think coming."

I avoid it like the plague now because it's such a logistical nightmare, but sometimes you HAVE to write it. It's what the character would say. And then you have to deal with assuring those who know better that you do... you just can't do it. LOL.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #155
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsmom View Post
My pet peeve walla too or when voila is spelled viola. A viola is a flower.
A viola is also an instrument similar to a violin.

Rainsong
Old 04-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #156
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Something is either unique--or it's not. There is no need to qualify it as, "really" unique, "truly" unique, "wonderfully" unique or any other "uniquely" unique.

For the record, my mother used to say "warsh," and it drove me crazy. But then, she also said, "or-ig-na" for oregano.

I do think some folks have difficulty with pronunciation due to poor hearing. This was true for my father who used to say "Cash Clay," instead of Cassius Clay. Things did not improve when he changed his name to "Mumd Ali," either.

Rainsong