Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #81
Rubber Obsessor

BuggainOK:

I think you misunderstood me - the stamp set was not free at all!
The blogger was stating that the small stamp set was a "complimentary set" to a larger set, when in fact it was a complementary set to the larger one, not a freebie!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #82
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, good, Iris... I thought I'd misread you when I saw that because I agreed that complimentary was free, but I thought you meant it complemented another set.

I'm not going crazy anymore.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #83
Rubber Obsessor

How many times do you hear people say, "I could care less."? WRONG!! If you could care less that means you care to some degree. It should be, "I couldn't care less."

"Do you want to go with?" - Go with who??? Ahhhhhh!!!

"The clothes need folded". "The dishes need rinsed". "The bed needs made". - TO BE!!! Don't forget to add the words "to be".

End of rant!
Old 02-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #84
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iriseyes View Post
BuggainOK:

I think you misunderstood me - the stamp set was not free at all!
The blogger was stating that the small stamp set was a "complimentary set" to a larger set, when in fact it was a complementary set to the larger one, not a freebie!
You are right, I did misunderstand you. And I agree, that blogger had better be ready for some sharp-eyed readers who will want their "complimentary" free sets!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 02-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #85
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBlossom View Post
Boise, ID, isn't BOY-zee; it's BOY-see.

And as a native North Carolinian, I'm annoyed by people in Michigan mispronouncing Charlotte.
Maybe the people in North Carolina are pronouncing it incorrectly and should pronounce it Char-LOT like the town in Michigan.
McSusie likes this post.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #86
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
You are right, I did misunderstand you. And I agree, that blogger had better be ready for some sharp-eyed readers who will want their "complimentary" free sets!
I misread that, too!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #87
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NwP View Post
I was driving around one day and saw a sign advertising a "GROJ SALE".

I wasn't sure what that was so I ignored and kept on driving, looking for a garage sale.
We listen to the radio frequently and have noticed that many American people who are being interviewed tend to slur their words so I wonder if 'Groj Sale' has come about because the words are not being clearly enunciated.
Another word that tends to be slurred is 'picture' ..it now comes across as 'pitcher' and this has crossed the pond as we hear more and more 'pitchers' rather than 'pictures' with the emphasis on the 'c'.
Our pet peeves are 'bin' instead of 'been'; 'sez' instead of 'says'; 'off of'...'off' is quite adequate! 'Acsherlly' instead of 'actually'; 'should of' instead of 'should have' and oh it goes on The real aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh moments are 'gonna', 'wanna' so much so that some youngsters think those are the correct words!

Blog
Old 02-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #88
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticus View Post
We listen to the radio frequently and have noticed that many American people who are being interviewed tend to slur their words so I wonder if 'Groj Sale' has come about because the words are not being clearly enunciated.
Another word that tends to be slurred is 'picture' ..it now comes across as 'pitcher' and this has crossed the pond as we hear more and more 'pitchers' rather than 'pictures' with the emphasis on the 'c'.
Our pet peeves are 'bin' instead of 'been'; 'sez' instead of 'says'; 'off of'...'off' is quite adequate! 'Acsherlly' instead of 'actually'; 'should of' instead of 'should have' and oh it goes on The real aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh moments are 'gonna', 'wanna' so much so that some youngsters think those are the correct words!
yeah. but. no. but yeah. but. no. but. innit. Shall we start on chav talk?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #89
Stazon Splitcoast

I just had a gal post on my wall and ask if I could translate something she saw on a friend's wall.

"Daysaview."

I took a wild guess. Deja vu. I was right. I'm stunned.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #90
Crimping Master

Quote:
Our pet peeves are 'bin' instead of 'been'; 'sez' instead of 'says'
Some things, I think, are a matter of dialect and not so much mispronunciation. For instance, if you look in the Merriam Websters Dictionary (on line) it shows how to pronounce something and also has a little speaker icon where the word will actually be spoken. On the word Been, it says: Rhymes with been: Bin, blin, chin and so on. On the word "says" it has "Sez" as how to pronounce it. It's a little different than what I have always heard referred to as the "Queen's English"

I admit, I say "Off of" all the time!! I will probably be more conscious of it now

Edited to add: After thinking for a second, I decided to see what the MW definition of "utilize" said and it had for a synonym: use! I guess on-line dictionary is not all it's cracked up to be! I would like some wine with my crow!!

Last edited by CraftyMel2; 02-27-2012 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: My face is red
Old 02-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #91
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash&rusty View Post
... There is no egg in eggplant...
Aha, but over here we don't call them eggplants . There's a whole set of cooking terms which are different in English and American English.
I don't think I'd have followed signs for a Groj sale either. Funny, we were just discussing this the other day because my DH says garridge, whereas I say ga -rahj. Have to admit he's in the majority when it comes to the Irish pronunciation of it. I blame all my minority-usage pronunciations on having had a mother who wasn't Irish.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #92
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Thanks for informing me. I had no idea.
I'll have to check my stamps to make sure they're correct.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:36 AM   #93
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMel2 View Post
Some things, I think, are a matter of dialect and not so much mispronunciation. For instance, if you look in the Merriam Websters Dictionary (on line) it shows how to pronounce something and also has a little speaker icon where the word will actually be spoken. On the word Been, it says: Rhymes with been: Bin, blin, chin and so on. On the word "says" it has "Sez" as how to pronounce it. It's a little different than what I have always heard referred to as the "Queen's English"

I admit, I say "Off of" all the time!! I will probably be more conscious of it now

Edited to add: After thinking for a second, I decided to see what the MW definition of "utilize" said and it had for a synonym: use! I guess on-line dictionary is not all it's cracked up to be! I would like some wine with my crow!!
Have to say the dictionary is "wrong" on pronunciation* . Short e's and i's are not identical. That said, it wasn't something I could personally hear until I lived in a completely different region of the world because of dialect. I live in the land of "worsh" for "wash", when you say it without the "or" people around here look at you like you have two heads.

*at around 2 minutes in - Compare short i, short e, and long e sounds in American English Pronunciation - YouTube
Old 02-28-2012, 04:23 AM   #94
Crimping Master

You are right RiverIsis, that was what I was saying with my edit The Merriam- Webster boys have some 'splainin to do!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #95
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
yeah. but. no. but yeah. but. no. but. innit. Shall we start on chav talk?
Like when??

The 'bins' and 'sez' aren't to do with dialect but all to do with sloppy speech. Any child heard uttering either of those words when I was at school would be told "The bins are kept outside" or "Sez comes from the gutter"!! All UK politicians, BBC journalists and announcers constantly use the two words incorrectly. Yesterday afternoon someone was reading an extract from a Charles Dickens book and read 'been' as bin! Could not believe it

Sabrina I don't think garridge is especially Irish, I was a Brummie (born in Birmingham, UK) and everyone said garridge and not ga -rahj but Brummie's also said gardin instead of garden, certle for circle, and my husband's most favourite that it took me a long time to say correctly - bunfire instead of bonfire
Now the West Country tend to drawl their vowel sounds so it sounds as though there are several 'a's' for example in grass..graaaassss! So much so that our grandson, when he was about 3 years old, happened to say graaaass one day and his Dad asked him how many a's in that and grandson replied " one, two, three"

Blog
Old 02-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #96
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Like when??

The 'bins' and 'sez' aren't to do with dialect but all to do with sloppy speech. Any child heard uttering either of those words when I was at school would be told "The bins are kept outside" or "Sez comes from the gutter"!! All UK politicians, BBC journalists and announcers constantly use the two words incorrectly. Yesterday afternoon someone was reading an extract from a Charles Dickens book and read 'been' as bin! Could not believe it

Sabrina I don't think garridge is especially Irish, I was a Brummie (born in Birmingham, UK) and everyone said garridge and not ga -rahj but Brummie's also said gardin instead of garden, certle for circle, and my husband's most favourite that it took me a long time to say correctly - bunfire instead of bonfire
Now the West Country tend to drawl their vowel sounds so it sounds as though there are several 'a's' for example in grass..graaaassss! So much so that our grandson, when he was about 3 years old, happened to say graaaass one day and his Dad asked him how many a's in that and grandson replied " one, two, three"
I always was asked if I was from the West Country. I normally answered "Yes, the very west country."

Now I'm "hearing" Ozzy Osborne when I'm reading your posts.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #97
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymama View Post
Interesting thread; this kind of error drives me a bit nuts too!

At work staff will say they are "orientating" new staff. The new staff member is on "orientation"; we are "orienting" them to their new position. In almost 21 years, I have NEVER heard anyone get this right! I really need to figure out why this bothers me.... LOL
My VP says orientate. Makes me crazy!
Old 02-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #98
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleEagle08 View Post
Maybe the people in North Carolina are pronouncing it incorrectly and should pronounce it Char-LOT like the town in Michigan.
Charlotte is the Queen City and predates the Michigan town. Alas, Michigan has it WRONG!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #99
You know I love RED

I just have to add my pet peeve.....definitely has no "a" in it, and lavender has only one. I see them spelled wrong all the time, and I cringe, but after all, the idea is to get the message across, and even terrible spellings don't defeat the purpose. There. I feel better. Thanks for starting this. I've had a wonderful time laughing!!

Anne
Proud Fan Club Member
TLC Hostess for the 5th Monday of the month
Old 02-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #100
Crimping Master

jdmommy, I am guilty of spelling difinitely wrong! When I was young, there was a commercial for Doritos that was on ALL THE TIME and the jingle was something like "Defin8ly Doritos" They would sing Defin-ate-ly so every time I go to spell it, I can hear "Defin8ly Dorito's" in my head and I have to think about it to spell it with an "i" and not an "a"! That's so funny, I thought I was the only one who could not ever seem to spell that particular word!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 06:27 AM   #101
Glitter Guru

Send a message via AIM to kspiv

Well I read several newspapers and all of them are listing St. Patty's Day festivities....hhmmmm.....
Old 02-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #102
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendant23 View Post
Me too!

LOL! Having fun reading this thread
Old 02-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #103
Rubber Obsessor

Reminds me of when it was incorrect to say that the plaintiff pleaded not guilty instead of plead not guilty.

My lease say tru-out instead of throughout.

Good luck ladies and thanks for the laugh.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #104
NwP
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina Lee View Post
Reminds me of when it was incorrect to say that the plaintiff pleaded not guilty instead of plead not guilty.

My lease say tru-out instead of throughout.

Good luck ladies and thanks for the laugh.
Ai yi yi!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #105
Pearl-ExPert

Maybe we should stop calling it English

To say Americans "slur" is insulting, perhaps you meant celebrities do not enunciate? I certainly do at job interviews, labor meetings, etc., but not with friends. I think the way teenagers interact with each other is a prime example of informal speech. If I knew I was being judged I might try harder, but during friendly intercourse I do not.

I would like to point out that all languages are organic. Surely an Brit from Victorian England would think a current English speaker to be rather base. The British version of English has changed just as much in the last 250 years as American English.

I always marvel at the Chinese. From province to province they do not speak the same language, but they write it. Truly an ancient language, one that evolved verbally isolated. Yet, their written standards were maintained to such a great degree of exactness that the written word was never compromised. That evolution could not happen today with Global communications.

Being from the South, I do not have an accent. And I tell that to every transplant who comments on my speech.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Old 03-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #106
Gabfest Goddess

I wonder if the St. Paddy's day thing is regional....or has just been "Americanized" to St. Patty's. I had never heard of that in my area (Philly/Tri-State area) and I don't see "St. Paddy's" being used ANYWHERE. Along the same lines, I had asked an Irish friend if he would have corned beef and cabbage on the feast day, he looked at me like I was from Mars. "They don't eat that in Ireland", he said. "That was a dish for Irish-American immigrants who could not afford ham or fresh beef." Okay.......who knew?
Old 03-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #107
CBC Lady Violet

So many of the ones that drive me crazy have already been mentioned, but I do have a couple to add.
It is I SAW, not I seen! I have been hearing & seeing this one more frequently and it is like nails on a chalkboard to me.
Tomorrow, NOT tomarow.

I am not bothered too much by things mentioned in this thread in informal speech or writing, but on ANYTHING professional (signs, pamphlets, books, etc.) I find it completely unacceptable.

I see St. Patty's and St. Paddy's in probably equal amounts where I live.
McSusie likes this post.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #108

Location: At the end of a dead end dirt road, in the middle of no where!
Default oh yes

Quote:
Just a gentle reminder, that it is that time of year when many people do St Patrick's Day projects.

The correct abbreviation for St Patrick's Day would be Paddy for Padraig/Patrick and not Patty which is the shortened form for Patricia.

I know a lot of retailers even get it wrong and there are plenty of wrong stamps around.

Hope that helps and may the luck of the Irish be with you.
My grama used to get so upset over little buttons and novelty things that say Patty.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #109

Send a message via Skype™ to TexasGrammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavioliGirl View Post
And there's no "r" in "wash" or "Washington."
Ohhhhhhhh, I know a person who inserts an "r" in "wash" .... I thought it was just her own personal problem! I didn't realize it's a bit widespread!

Needing SU inspiration? Check out the latest from our SCS Creative Crew each month:
Creative Crew Galleries!
Psssssssssssst! New creations appearing July 1st!

Old 03-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #110
Stampin' Fool

It's spelled A LOT...not alot....
I am Italian NOT Eye-talian !!
Old 03-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #111

I'm so glad that I saw this thread earlier in the week. I went back in and updated an old project from 2008 to the correct spelling: St. Paddy's.

I also checked all of my stamps and they all have St. Patrick's Day spelled out in full.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #112
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
I always was asked if I was from the West Country. I normally answered "Yes, the very west country."

Now I'm "hearing" Ozzy Osborne when I'm reading your posts.
And hardly an 'f' word! Actually you wouldn't hear the Ozzy Osbourne because when I moved to the west country at the age of 17 I lost my Brummie accent after a couple of years. Not consciously lost it but it happened so much so that I can't even impersonate that accent now, most strange. I don't 'pick it up' again either after spending time with my family, in fact I am now accused of talking 'posh' because I am accentless. I lost my Birmingham accent but didn't start talking with a Gloucestershire accent as my husband does

Blog
Old 03-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #113
Rubber Obsessor

Does anyone take something out of the freezer to UNTHAW?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #114
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna1911 View Post
Does anyone take something out of the freezer to UNTHAW?
Lol, here in rural Alberta, they dethaw things. I've always wondered if that meant they were going to freeze them again!
Old 03-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #115
SCS Gallery Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbee View Post
I'm so glad that I saw this thread earlier in the week. I went back in and updated an old project from 2008 to the correct spelling: St. Paddy's.

I also checked all of my stamps and they all have St. Patrick's Day spelled out in full.
That's dedication!
Had to smile when I saw St. Patty's on a company blog yesterday.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #116
Rubber Obsessor

I am always amazed when I receive emails from people that I talk to in real life, people that I think are reasonable intelligent people, but the emails are full of typos and grammatical errors. Not run-of-the-mill errors that everyone makes, but major typos that make it hard to read the email. I don't know if they're lazy or if they have just gotten so used to relying on spell-check that they can't proofread themselves.

Also, I'm going to throw out one that drives me crazy - I frequently see people on facebook that they are going to "loose their mind". I think, good, you need to loosen you mind and learn that "lose" only has one O.

Who needs tattoos? I already have ink in strange places...
Old 03-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #117
SCS Gallery Moderator

One of the guys in work is studying part time for his doctorate, and has teaching hours in English in the university. He's appalled at the standard of English grammar and spelling in the essays his students hand in. They obviously don't know how to use the spell-check, as well as not knowing how to spell. I will allow that the grammar check was pretty useless last time I even tried it, but a quick spell-check should pick up on a lot.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:54 AM   #118
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook22 View Post
One of the guys in work is studying part time for his doctorate, and has teaching hours in English in the university. He's appalled at the standard of English grammar and spelling in the essays his students hand in. They obviously don't know how to use the spell-check, as well as not knowing how to spell. I will allow that the grammar check was pretty useless last time I even tried it, but a quick spell-check should pick up on a lot.
My MIL was a professor at a university and she had the same complaint. She said that the kids wrote their papers like they were texting and then they couldn't understand why they couldn't write a paper like that.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:24 AM   #119
Crimping Master

This is a great thread! I'll add just a couple more...

It's asked, not axed, probably, not prolly (I didn't even know what that meant the first time I saw it), and all of a sudden, not all the sudden.

Okay, going back to enjoying my reading!
McSusie likes this post.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:38 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook22 View Post
That's dedication!
Had to smile when I saw St. Patty's on a company blog yesterday.
Not really dedication, just complete embarrassment.

Someone posted a comment on my old project and when I went to read it, I realized that my description and title with St. Patty's all over it, was coming off as ignorant instead of cute. Hopefully, I didn't make too many people roll their eyes in the four years it's been up there.