Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #41
Stazon Splitcoast

I have had to DRILL it into my kids' heads that the word is PENguin, not PEGuin.

I'll never forget my MIL coming in and saying that she didn't like the "Jah-LAP-en-ohs" on her salad. However that wasn't half as funny as reading a book about animals to my kids and her saying, "Then the Jie-RAFT said..."
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #42
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMel2 View Post
I used to get really upset when I heard jewluhry and then I moved to Utah where NOTHING is pronounced the way one would think! Hurricane? Yeah, that's hurrikun or herkin. Toole? That's toowilluh to you! And let us not forget Sevier...otherwise known as severe! I think that by the time they came up with Juab, they figured enough was enough because that is pronounced...yep...you guessed it: jewab
And what about Hooper (pronounced to rhyme with Tupper) and Weber State/Weber County- pronounced like Webber...
from a Utah transplant
Leah
Old 02-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #43
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via AIM to Jill with a G

The one that bothers me the most is your and you're. Someone gave me a very cute crafted gift once that had --Your so special-- hand written on it. I loved the thought behind it, but I just couldn't put it where it could be viewed by others.

I live in an area of Missouri where many locals add the r to the wash and make it warsh. The also pronounce forty as farty. I have never understood that!
Old 02-25-2012, 04:37 AM   #44
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMel2 View Post
I used to get really upset when I heard jewluhry and then I moved to Utah where NOTHING is pronounced the way one would think! Hurricane? Yeah, that's hurrikun or herkin. Toole? That's toowilluh to you! And let us not forget Sevier...otherwise known as severe! I think that by the time they came up with Juab, they figured enough was enough because that is pronounced...yep...you guessed it: jewab
I lived in Delta, Utah for a year, and cracked up at "Toole." I now live in Montana, the next county over is "Toole" county, pronounced "Tool." Did I get laughed at the first time I pronounced it the Utah way!

Of course we have Joe "Meagher" Memorial Gym here, pronounced "Mar."

The one that really threw me was the Blackfeet Indian last name "St. Goddard," pronounced "Sankadoor." Apparently many of these names are of French origin???? That's what I've been told.

This all comes from a state whose capitol is "Helena," NOT pronounced Heleena, but Hellina.

Should I mention Pierre, South Dakota, pronounced PEER? lol
Old 02-25-2012, 04:39 AM   #45
Polyshrink Goddess

(I'm having a ton of fun reading this thread!)
Old 02-25-2012, 04:59 AM   #46
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sew It Seams View Post
I lived in Delta, Utah for a year, and cracked up at "Toole." I now live in Montana, the next county over is "Toole" county, pronounced "Tool." Did I get laughed at the first time I pronounced it the Utah way!

The one that really threw me was the Blackfeet Indian last name "St. Goddard," pronounced "Sankadoor." Apparently many of these names are of French origin???? That's what I've been told.

This all comes from a state whose capitol is "Helena," NOT pronounced Heleena, but Hellina.

Boise, ID, isn't BOY-zee; it's BOY-see.

And as a native North Carolinian, I'm annoyed by people in Michigan mispronouncing Charlotte.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #47
Gallery Gazer

Coming from New Jersey where there is a Newark, commonly pronounced "new work", we New Jerseyans were given a special parent orientation when our daughter enrolled in the University of Delaware located in Newark, pronounce "new ark". I actually worked with a woman who was born and raised in Newark, NJ and she pronounce it "nurk". That one made me cringe.

My pet peeve - recently I sent an e-mail to a local university to let them know that they should be more aware of how they address their mail to school offices. We have been getting notices of their course offerings every semester and they come addressed to the "Office of the Principle".
Old 02-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #48
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Hey, Jen, I moved from Utah to Montana too!

The local one that drives my husband bonkers is "tooken" as in, "I tooken a good look around." There is no such word as tooken, but everyone says it here, and the kids and I have picked it up and he goes ballistic.

Leah
Old 02-25-2012, 07:49 AM   #49
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgesmom View Post
My pet peeve - recently I sent an e-mail to a local university to let them know that they should be more aware of how they address their mail to school offices. We have been getting notices of their course offerings every semester and they come addressed to the "Office of the Principle".

OH...MY...STARS! The principal is your pal.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #50
Rubber Obsessor

Fun thread.

mine is IRREGARDLESS.

I have two co-workers who constantly use it. Drives me crazy and it is not a long drive!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #51
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

This reminds me that I have meet people in England whose name was St. John... now that looks straightforward right??? nope

"SinJin" with emphasis on the Sin
Old 02-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #52
Stazon Splitcoast

Yep. Sinjin for St. John and Beecham for Beauchamp.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #53
Pearl-ExPert

Ok, here's one...my Mom says zink, instead of sink.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #54
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna1911 View Post
Fun thread.

mine is IRREGARDLESS.

I have two co-workers who constantly use it. Drives me crazy and it is not a long drive!!!
Irrigardless makes me crazy, too!!! Same with utilize. The meaning of that word has changed over the years and seems to have become an acceptable substitution for the word use. People who use it the wrong way will fight to the end over it! I had a professor once who would tell his students "You USED it; unless you are MacGyver, you are not utilizing anything" hahaah!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #55
Matboard Maniac

Bring me choco-lot,
Old 02-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #56
Polyshrink Goddess

"Walla" makes me crazy being of French heritage.
The worst faux pas I have seen is a store advertising a "bokay" of flowers as opposed to "bouquet". Could not believe it, still can't!

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Old 02-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #57
Polyshrink Goddess

I was born in Missouri and thought "wash" was pronounced "warsh" until we moved to Michigan when I was 11. In Detroit the street "Lahser" is pronounced "Lasher". My mother thinks Olive Garden is an "Eye-talian" restaurant. And my 20 something step daughter, a University graduate, still makes me crazy by writing to when it should be too.

Free cat hair with every card!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #58
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna1911 View Post
Fun thread.

mine is IRREGARDLESS.

We have signs posted at work that warn not to "comingle" different types of equipment. Really? If mingle is to mix, what do they think comingle means?!

I hate "for all intensive purposes." I guess my intents and purposes are just not that extreme...

Love this book
Eats, Shoots & Leaves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Old 02-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #59
Matboard Maniac

I did not know about St. Paddy's (Padraig).

One peeve I have that is not yet mentioned:
It is a moot point; not a mute point.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #60
Stampin' Fool

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.

Irregardless of what some people say, I think its perfectly exceptable to serve choco-lot brownies as an afterdinner desert. Serve it with a little milk to warsh it down. If your wanting to get fancy, just add some choco-lot shavings on the top of it and walla you're guests will think you are the bestest cook ever. Of coarse, there are acceptions. For instance, if someone doesn't like eating desert, then this post is a mute point.

Melissa -- who is sometimes guilty of saying warsh. I wonder if it has something to do with living in Missouri when I attended kindergarten and first grade.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #61
Stazon Splitcoast

"to" funny, Melissa
Old 02-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #62
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa59 View Post
Irregardless of what some people say, I think its perfectly exceptable to serve choco-lot brownies as an afterdinner desert. Serve it with a little milk to warsh it down. If your wanting to get fancy, just add some choco-lot shavings on the top of it and walla you're guests will think you are the bestest cook ever. Of coarse, there are acceptions. For instance, if someone doesn't like eating desert, then this post is a mute point.

Melissa -- who is sometimes guilty of saying warsh. I wonder if it has something to do with living in Missouri when I attended kindergarten and first grade.
high-larious.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 02-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #63
Crimping Master

Melissa59 you are crackin' me up!
Old 02-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #64
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendant23 View Post
That one also cracked me up!! I am sitting here laughing my butt off. LITERALLY! BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA (turning around to see if my butt is really gone....nope! Still there!)
Old 02-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #65
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Thought you might enjoy this

English is a crazy language. So hard to learn. But it makes for clever plays on words. A homophone is where two words sound ("phone") the same but have different meanings. Here are some homophones and other witty jokes on the English language.
<O</O

Let's face it -- English is a crazy language. There is no egg in eggplant nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins weren't invented in England or French fries in France. Sweetmeats are candies while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat.

We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig. And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce, and hammers don't ham?

If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese? One index, 2 indices?

Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend.

If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it? If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane. In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell? How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites?

And what about these linguistic oddities? And by the way, they're only homophones if they sound the same but differ in meaning or spelling or both, like bare and bear.

1) The bandage was wound around the wound.
2) The farm was used to produce produce.
3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
4) We must polish the Polish furniture.
5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.
6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.
8 )A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
10) I did not object to the object.
11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
13) They were too close to the door to close it.
14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.
15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
18 ) After a number of injections my jaw got number.
19) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
20) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
21) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which, an alarm goes off by going on.

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race, which, of course, is not a race at all. That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible.

PS. - Why doesn't "Buick" rhyme with "quick"?

Sorry to almost completely derail this thread - I too didn't know the story of shamrock until I looked it up as well, so thank you to the OP for starting this up - learned something new today!
McSusie likes this post.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #66
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash&rusty View Post

PS. - Why doesn't "Buick" rhyme with "quick"?
Because "Buick" is not really a word? I know it's a brand name of a car but it's a made-up word.

If the English language wasn't what it is, we wouldn't have the pleasure of puns.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:14 AM   #67
Polyshrink Goddess

Leah - I'm not actually from Utah or Montana - I grew up in Pennsylvania Amish country (Lancaster)! I moved from Montana to Utah just that one year and now I'm happily back in Montana! So, almost 34 years in this beautiful state! Where are you in Montana, Leah? I'm up north in Cut Bank, but spent 16 years in the Hardin/Billings area.

Never heard anybody around here say "tooken!" However, my husband is a native Montanan who spent 25 years in Texas and some of the things he says are way out in left field. His favorite is that something tastes "wanky."

Never forget the first time I told somebody from Montana that I was from the East. They looked at me and said "Oh, North or South Dakota?" lol.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #68
Rubber Obsessor

Gale -
Buick is not a made-up word; it is the surname of the founder of the Buick Motor Company, David Dunbar Buick. Derived from "Bewick" (English, later Scottish).
The English language is fascinating, isn't it? Lots of words sounding/spelling the same because they are derived from so many other languages.

And one of my personal pet peeves - today I saw it used TWICE on a blog I read:
compliment instead of complement. The blogger may have to do a few giveaways, as she stated that the smaller stamp set was a "complimentary" set!
Old 02-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #69
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iriseyes View Post
Gale -
Buick is not a made-up word; it is the surname of the founder of the Buick Motor Company, David Dunbar Buick. Derived from "Bewick" (English, later Scottish).
The English language is fascinating, isn't it? Lots of words sounding/spelling the same because they are derived from so many other languages.

compliment instead of complement. The blogger may have to do a few giveaways, as she stated that the smaller stamp set was a "complimentary" set!
I think this may be a good example of what the USA does with English. Looks like the blogger may have it right:

"Definition of COMPLIMENTARY
1a: expressing praise or admiration : expressing or containing a compliment <a complimentary remark>

2: given free as a courtesy or favor <complimentary tickets> "

Complimentary - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 02-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #70
Crimping Master

I have never noticed complimentary vs complementary before!! I had to Google it because I did not know which was correct. I always like "gratis", I like the way it sounds. Of course, FREE is always a good choice as well
Old 02-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #71
Crimping Master

[QUOTE=flash&rusty;19218808]
You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down

That reminds me of when I worked for a morgage company...I was explaining a house fire and said that the house did not burn UP, it had burned DOWN. Everyone made fun of me for that. The way I figured, if it had burned up, then it would still be there, just damaged. By saying it had burned DOWN, I meant that it was GONE. Everytime I hear someone describe a fire, I think of that!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #72
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iriseyes View Post
Gale -

To me, a person's name isn't a true word either. So for me, I wouldn't expect it to rhyme. It makes more sense to say why doesn't bomb rhyme with comb.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #73
Kookie Creator

LOVE this thread!!! Oh, sorry, I am shouting.
I LOVE to learn something new everyday.
And, this thread is stoking my brain.
Thank you.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #74
Stazon Splitcoast

Cannot resist one more that I just saw on Facebook... and I see it EVERYWHERE.

The name is Santa Claus. It is not Santa Clause. "Santa Clause" has a "the" in front of it to delineate that it is "THE Santa CLAUSE." There is no such thing as Santa Clause.

Then again, there's no such thing as Santa Claus either but we won't go there...
Old 02-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #75
Insane Embellisher

This thread is way too much fun!

To Chautona -- You're correct, the man in the red suit is Santa Claus. However, the title of the 1994 movie with Tim Allen is "The Santa Clause." People who don't pay attention to details don't make the connection or, unfortunately, the correction.

I cringe at much of today's common usage. "Me and Joe is going," "Him and I had went," the aforementioned your-you're problems, the its-it's blur -- they all confound and disgust me. "One of the boys are doing it" uses the object of the preposition as the subject of the verb. (Aaaarrrrrghhhh!) I correct the college students I work with and most of them take it as favor because their teachers had never corrected them! If only everyone still had to diagram sentences or conjugate verbs the world would be a better place. But I digress.

My father sold turbines -- that would be TUR-bins, not tur-bines with a long i. I know both are acceptable, but as a traditionalist, it's tur-bins.

Many thanks to those who mentioned the awful jew-ler-y -- some of which I should have went and boughten today. (Sorry, I just had to.)
Old 02-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #76
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Leah - I'm not actually from Utah or Montana - I grew up in Pennsylvania Amish country (Lancaster)! I moved from Montana to Utah just that one year and now I'm happily back in Montana! So, almost 34 years in this beautiful state! Where are you in Montana, Leah? I'm up north in Cut Bank, but spent 16 years in the Hardin/Billings area.

Never heard anybody around here say "tooken!" However, my husband is a native Montanan who spent 25 years in Texas and some of the things he says are way out in left field. His favorite is that something tastes "wanky."

Never forget the first time I told somebody from Montana that I was from the East. They looked at me and said "Oh, North or South Dakota?" lol.
So I am originally from So Dak, (the East), but lived for quite a few years in DE. The company I worked for was based in Newark, Delaware, but we came to Lancaster on weekends. I remember having picnics listening to the symphony at Longwood Gardens, and the smell of the mushroom soil in mushroom country.

Now, I live in Kalispell. Just got back from a day of skiing after seeing my boss, our dentist, a neighbor, and 2 friends on the skislopes. My husband and I were missing the anonymity of skiing in Utah. In 4 years, I don't think we ever saw one person we knew. The small town thing is new to us both, even though Montanans don't consider Kalispell a "small town."

Leah
Old 02-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #77
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh... and from last night's reading...

The author is Jane Austen. Not Austin. she's not a Texas capitol. She's an early nineteenth century English author. AUSTEN.

When another author can't get a CLASSIC ENGLISH AUTHOR's name right... something's wrong.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #78
NwP
Polyshrink Goddess

I was driving around one day and saw a sign advertising a "GROJ SALE".

I wasn't sure what that was so I ignored and kept on driving, looking for a garage sale.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #79
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, Nicole!!! We have a similar sign on the way to Victorville. There are people selling "Coy Fish."

Kevin always asks what makes them so coy.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #80
Insane Embellisher

Driving out in the country (in Montana) I saw a sign propped on a hay bale advertising :
Hay Bails for sale, $3.

Made me wonder if the only bail they knew was the one they paid to get their cousin out of jail...