Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
Hardware Hotshot

Default Is this perimenopause?

I have no idea. I'd google it, but I'm afraid of what might come up. I had my yearly exam right before I started my third period last month. Then this week, I was pretty sure my period was over, little or nothing for a couple of days, then I started cramping and it was like the first day all over again! They are much lighter since my ablasion two years ago, but when I have two or three a month, it's enough to make me anemic again. I swear, I haven't been hot all summer, and it's 100 degrees around here!
I'd be more worried about something being wrong if I hadn't just been checked out. But why is this happening? My hormones seem to be going crazy. This sucks!
Anybody have any words of wisdom?
Old 07-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
CBC Lady Violet

I've no advice re: the perimenopause, but in regards to the googling.... if I want to find out about a medical condition, I skip google and go straight to the Mayo Clinic website. I figure they are very reputable and that it is highly unlikely there will be incorrect info there. I've actually found their website to be very informative as if you search an illness, they divide the info up into sections like what it is, what causes it, what the symptoms are, possible treatment options, what kind of questions to ask your doctor at your appointment etc.
Here is their section on Perimenopause.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #3
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Erin, I'm not sure how old you are but I know they can do a blood test to check hormone levels. That can let you know whether you're headed towards menopause. I've hit that point and I've been miserable--hot flashes, sleep issues, not much fun (not to mention the random desire to bite people who irritate me, LOL--mostly kidding!). They've started working on it by helping me sleep, which oddly enough has reduced the hot flashes without HRT. That's been a much bigger help than I would have thought.

If you're getting anemic again it might be worth going back to the Dr even if you were just checked out.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
Crimping Master

I started being peri-menopausal at 39.....I'm 48 now.
The hot flashes and moodiness was the worse. A low dose anti depressant helped level me out. I had an ablation in September of 2010 and then a hysterectomy in January 2011. The ablation worked for the excessive bleeding, but the fibroids hit a growth spurt. I looked 5 months pregnant. I still have my ovaries. Best to talk with your Dr.

http://roxysramblings64.blogspot.com
Old 07-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Mad Swapper

I was wondering the same thing about myself. I will be 48 in November. Since I was 12 I have always been regular. Then 2 months ago I was 1.5 weeks late, and this month I was a week early !! And, it starts out like a really light period for about 4 days then BAM, I got the cramping and heavy like you mentioned. I also have trouble sleeping, I go from happy to depressed to pissed off in the blink of an eye, and I'm gaining weight even though I am eating the same (lost 50 pounds about 4-5 years ago and have gained it all back because I stopped working out and ate more ... but even when I have tried to lose weight again I either don't lose, or I gain MORE !!).
Old 07-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
Pearl-ExPert

A friend had the ablation but it is only a temporary fix. She had to have a hysterectomy for similar symptoms as yours after about a year from the time she had it done. I've been convinced menopause was starting for me because of hot flashes, night sweats, poor sleeping, harder monthly periods, and the same irritability mentioned above. I'm in my mid-forties and the women on my mom's side of the family have a history of going through the change early. The blood tests say I'm not. Well, if I'm not, then I'm going crazy LOL!

After some research, I learned the Minera IUD was a good choice for alleviating periods and menopausal symptoms. This was a foreign concept for me as I've never used that form of birth control. In fact, I have PCOS and was on the pill to induce a period which is ironic because I have a better chance of winning the lotto than conceiving another baby. There's not a lot of information out there for how PCOS and menopause play out or how PCOS women should be treated when menopausal - most of the information available is about infertility ... my body and ovaries are way past that LOL!

Anyway, I had the thing installed which was an ordeal but that's another story. It has been a godsend so far. No more periods, no more pills to take, the hot flashes and night sweats have stopped, and I'm not so cranky. It is supposed to be good for five years so I'll be closer to 50 and hopefully the worst will be over for me.

Hope this helps a bit and gives you some other options to look at.

Last edited by lharnish; 07-10-2012 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: typos - menopausal woman with a brain fart lol
Old 07-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Gallery Gazer

My periods have been very irregular with menopause. When I was about 48, my doctor did the blood test for hormonal levels as another poster suggested and she told me that I was definitely in menopause, that it could last for YEARS and that my periods would possibly get WORSE, more often, more irregular at first before they started tapering down! Discouraging news that has all come true, for the most part! I am now 51 and have only skipped three periods, 6 months from each other, so I am still not through it after more than 3 years!

I found out that eating as healthy as possible (lots of fruit, veggies, and whole grains, low fat dairy products, little red meat,) and exercising 3 to 4 times a week really make me feel a lot better and minimizes the menopausal symptoms. I also lost a considerable amount of weight, although I have gained some of it back, I have kept 40 pounds off and that makes all the difference in the world! Sleep is really, really important, too.

If you can afford it or have insurance, go to the doctor and get your hormone levels checked and talk about it with her. Good luck!
Old 07-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
Crimping Master

I'm 44, ad went to th doc when I went 3 mths without a period. All my blood work was normal. I haven't had a period since May. No hotflashes or menopausal symptoms. If I hadn't had my tubes ties 9 years ago if think I was pregnant. My boobies are sore&swollen. I know I should be happy not to have a period, but I just feel old!
Old 07-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Crimping Master

And, Ive had heartburn. And at least 3 dreams where I'm either pregnant, or just given birth to a baby. Its a boy everytime!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
Hardware Hotshot

I went in for my annual blood work, but I forgot to talk to the doctor first, and I don't think they checked my hormone levels. I'm NOT anemic, though, so they are now checking my thyroid, because I'm so cold. Only, weird, this week I've actually felt a little warm at work for the first time all summer. :S
Anyway, I should know something soon about the cold. In the meantime, I SO don't want to go back in and have blood drawn again to test my hormone levels! :P