Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Old dogs with arthritis-Adequan Shots

I just wanted to pass on the success my old dog Ree (Rottweiler), is having with adequan shots. Ree is VERY dysplastic in the left rear, I purchased him from a breeder here in FL. Ree also had OCD in his left hock and had it removed at 9 mos of age. The piece of cartilage was the size of a pea in his hock, if you can believe it. He has totally re molded his muscles to compensate fro these two orthopedic issues.

Lately, we had seen a decline in Ree as far as activity. I went back to the vet to see if we could do more for him through acupuncture, herbs, etc. She suggested adequan shots.

He just had his third shot today, his activity level has increased, and he has lost five pounds! He is HAPPIER and feeling SOOO MUCH better. I wish I had done this sooner… He is on a regime of 6 shots, then we take him off for a few weeks, couple that time off with acupuncture and hopefully he will continue to feel better.

The cost is $65 a shot. I will be asking my vet if I can purchase the injections myself (Thru her) and administer, once we are sure Ree is stable with them… to cut down on cost a little.

I found this site that gives more information

http://www.caberfeidh.com/Adequan.htm

Ree is 12--- all I want is quality of life… and to be as pain free as possible.

Kim In FL
I tried to load a picture of my three dogs--- Ree is on the far right...
L-R (Hawk, Belle, Ree)
Attached Thumbnails
dscf2680.jpg  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-16-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

I'm tickled to hear Ree is doing so much better.

We just switched our Nellie over to Senior Nutro with chondroitin and glucosamine since she is having a difficult time upon rising. After five or ten minutes, her joints loosen and she's able to get around very well. Be interesting to see how she does after eating this for a while. I'm sure she'd say it beats shots! (But if she doesn't improve--off to the vet.)

Rainsong
Old 06-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
Watercolor Wizard

Kim, my DH's first dog Susie also took those shots and they really helped her too. I'll ask him what else they did for her when he gets home. . . .
Old 06-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
Polyshrink Goddess

My Golden Retriever is 10 and has bad arthritis in both hips and 4-5 ruptured discs in her spine--no idea how this happened, except that maybe she jumped up or down wrong.

After only getting Rimadyl from our regular vet, which did not help, I started taking her to a holistic vet. They changed her diet (ground beef, brown rice, veggies, calcium, fish oil, and a pet multivitamin), and we started acupuncture. We tried a series of 4 or 5 Adequan injections too, but didn't see any improvement.

I don't know if her injury is just going to take a long time to heal up, or if it's too far gone. But we're keeping up with the diet because it makes her happy and excited to eat whereas before she would barely touch her kibble.

She also gets Glycoflex II and Mobility 2 supplements. We've tapered down the acupuncture to once a month or more if she needs it.

The vet suggested Trixsyn (sp?) too, but I haven't yet looked into it.

I really like the holistic vet's approach. The office is not like a regular vet office, the dog likes going there and loves them. They were not content to just keep giving Rimadyl when it wasn't working and can cause liver problems. I wish we would see more improvement, but I'm happy with the care she's getting.

She is basically my first-born child, and I will do whatever I can to keep her active and comfortable. The money adds up, but she has given us so much in her 10 years, that this is the least I can do for her.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsong View Post
I'm sure she'd say it beats shots! (But if she doesn't improve--off to the vet.)

Rainsong
Our dog barely even feels the needles--Adequan or acupuncture. Just a little twitch, like a fly is bugging her. She's a 65lb dog though. Thick skin.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmassucco View Post

After only getting Rimadyl from our regular vet, which did not help, I started taking her to a holistic vet. They changed her diet (ground beef, brown rice, veggies, calcium, fish oil, and a pet multivitamin), and we started acupuncture. We tried a series of 4 or 5 Adequan injections too, but didn't see any improvement.
I am fortunate as well to have a Vet who is conventional, holistic, acupuncturist, western chinese meds, and bach herbal remedies. She also belives in animal communication...and will work with a communicator. People think I am wierd, but I tell you, I truly believe in alternative meds whenever possible.

I remember her offering the adequan shots to my old female rottie-- but she did not tolerate needles. Ree, on the other hand, thinks that going to the vet is the BEST thing in the world, and he sees it as a social visit.

Ree does still get rimadyl, I watch for signs of side effects, and have his B/W done every 6 mos. We also give him Milk Thistle- which helps liver function. Anything over 10 years in a rottie is great.... Ree is 12. His sister lived to 13.

Good Luck with your Golden... I myself have had ruptured discs and they HURT. The best thing I found for ME, was regular massage... I have not been able to find a good massage therapist for the dog though!

Kim in FL
Old 06-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
Polyshrink Goddess

We do give the Rimadyl, but every other day instead of 2x/day like in the beginning. It just doesn't seem to make a difference, so I'd rather not load her up with it. I haven't heard of using Milk Thistle for liver function--I will ask about it.

Since beginning her new treatment, her femoral pulses have become stronger and more equal between the L and R, and her tongue is a nice pink again instead of a pale pink/grey, and she is happier. So I would think that happier and more active means less pain. At least I hope so.

I had a ruptured disc too that I had surgery for when I was 23. Back pain is not fun.

That's great that your dog has made it well past the point that they normally live. I'm hoping to get another 5-6 years from ours as well, as long as she is comfortable and happy.

It's too bad dogs' lifespans are so short in comparison with humans. So sad.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm so glad you found something to ease the pain for your Ree! All your fur babies are gorgeous!

Old 06-16-2008, 08:21 PM   #9
Hardware Hotshot

We recently went through all of this with our 7 yr old Shepherd. He's a Belgium so he was about 135 lbs when he injured his leg. We were advised against surgery until we finally decided to take him to the surgeon ourselves. He's on a special diet due to allergies and the Rimadyl tore up his tummy and esphogus (sp), took his bark away and he quit eating. I will never give that med to a dog again. He was not improving either. The surgeon wouldn't do surgery when we told her all that was and had been going on with him. Come to find out he has hyperthyroidism and was near dead (0 counts) when we had him tested. We were so upset that with all the visits and 2nd opinion we'd had him to that this wasn't suggested earlier. Eventually we ended up at the neurologist hospital, a 2 1/2 drive for us but he's so worth it. He does have a degenerative disease but one that isn't cureable. He received steroids after another visit to the vet because the white of his eye had bulged out and he started acting better. The neurologist explained a lot about the use of steroids. We were like, if these make him happy and feel better can he stay on them. He could but at the smallest dose possible because of the side effects. At the dose we are able to keep him on, he should not suffer any side effects but at this point, what could be worse. Her this dog went from being so happy, active, and playful to injurying himself and becoming depressed and inactive. It hurt for him to get up and sometimes he'd cry. Those months were SO tough, he went down hill in a matter of days and we spent a small fortune on him trying to get it all figured out. I kept thinking I was failing him when the next suggestion didn't work and then the next. Now, he's back to being a little stink pot, well a big one although we try to keep his weight down now due to his injuries and arthiritis. He smiles and loves his car rides again. I can relate to what some of you are going through.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm glad the Adequan is working well for Ree!

I'm a vet tech and your story reminds me so much of the cutest pair of labs we had come in to a clinic I worked at in CA a several years ago. It was a female chocolate lab and a male yellow lab, and the choc. came in to get her Adequan, her brother always came for "support" and he was always toting this huge bear. They both knew the routine so well that as soon as they walked in the door, the yellow would jump up and sit on the bench with his bear while the choc (Molly, I think.. it's been a while) would walk to the door to the treatment are and wait for somebody to open it, she would come in wagging her tail and sit down waiting for her shot. As soon as she got it, she'd come around to say hi to everybody and then walk back to the door and wait for it to be opened. She'd go out to the front desk to get her cookie then she'd go sit with her brother while Mom paid the bill. It was the cutest darned thing I'd ever seen.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #11
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmassucco View Post
We do give the Rimadyl, but every other day instead of 2x/day like in the beginning. It just doesn't seem to make a difference, so I'd rather not load her up with it. I haven't heard of using Milk Thistle for liver function--I will ask about it.
The Milk Thistle was recommended years ago by the vet, because Ree's BW came back with odd liver results. I have since learned that Milk Thistle is often taken by people with Hepatitus to improve liver function. Ever since, his BW has been fine...

Kim in FL
Old 06-17-2008, 06:24 AM   #12
Hardware Hotshot

Awwww... I love Rotties... my best boy ever was a rotty mix named Yaeger... had him for 10 years, and then spinal degeneration caused him to lose control of his back legs. I miss him every day.

Thanks for posting your pics!
I'm glad she is doing well!
Old 06-17-2008, 10:50 AM   #13
Rubber Obsessor

[QUOTE=jmassucco;10186919]We do give the Rimadyl, but every other day instead of 2x/day like in the beginning. It just doesn't seem to make a difference, so I'd rather not load her up with it. I haven't heard of using Milk Thistle for liver function--I will ask about it.

thats good that you have tapered the rimadyl dose down. you should only be giving to effect for the long term. you may not think you see a difference but if you take her off of it completely, you will definitely notice!
Old 06-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #14
Polyshrink Goddess

We just went in for another acupuncture treatment this afternoon, as it has been 5 weeks since the last, and she hasn't been jumping up on our bed for the last 4-5 days. The bed is her favorite place in the world, so I know she's hurting!

Instead of continuing the Moblity 2, she will start a new herbal remedy to hopefully strengthen her ligaments and tendons. I asked the vet to draw her labs since she's been on Rimadyl for the last 6 months. Forgot to ask about the milk thistle though. But we'll be back for a follow up in 2 weeks to see if the new medicine is working.

The vet mentioned "Prolo Therapy" which consists of injections directly into the joints. Apparently, it works to clean out loose debris and helps to create a thicker and stronger capsule around the joints. Have to do some research on this one. He said that it is used in humans in sports therapy and is now gaining popularity with use in dogs.

Has anyone heard of it or used it before?