Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By TJStamper
  • 1 Post By Tah Dah!
  • 1 Post By mitakue
  • 1 Post By scrappychica

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 06:59 AM   #1
Kookie Creator

Default Is it okay to send handmade card as a Thank You after an interview?

This is probably a dumb question, but if there are any people that conduct job interviews - What would you think of this? Would you think a handmade card with a handwritten note is unprofessional? Would this make you NOT consider a person even if they are qualified for the position?

Any feedback is appreciated!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-27-2008, 07:20 AM   #2
Hardware Hotshot

Depends on the job, I think. If crafting is a skill you might use on the job (say working with kids, physical therapy, etc.), then your hand-made card shows one more reason why they should select you.

If you're interviewing for an office job, I think you'd probably be better served by sending a traditional, formal typed letter; that showcases your business writing/presentation skills.

Good luck!
Old 05-27-2008, 07:26 AM   #3
Kookie Creator

That makes a lot of sense. I'm just freaking out because I unexpectedly lost my job two weeks ago and I was the bread winner of the family. My husbands monthy income just covers the mortgage and not a whole lot more. Thankfully we have our income tax refunds to get us through the next few months, but I'm just terrified right now.

I do have an interview this afternoon so please pray that it goes well!

Thanks again,
Lisa
Old 05-27-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
Impoverished Gymnastics Mom

Send a message via AIM to charlalei

Agree with Holly. If it is in any non-craft professional, I think sending a handmade card could make a bad impression.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:36 AM   #5
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollylogic View Post
Depends on the job, I think. If crafting is a skill you might use on the job (say working with kids, physical therapy, etc.), then your hand-made card shows one more reason why they should select you.

If you're interviewing for an office job, I think you'd probably be better served by sending a traditional, formal typed letter; that showcases your business writing/presentation skills.

Good luck!
Another person in agreement with Holly. When my team got whacked a few years ago, I invested in some very nice, plain and neutral heavy cream-colored stationery.

By the way one tip I got on thank you notes is that they also offer a good opportunity to reiterate why you'd like to work there and re-state your qualifications. I worked for a consulting company for a few years and we went on a lot of interviews as we usually worked only 9-18 months on our assignments. Our manager told us that a lot of people who have good qualifications sink down on the list a bit because they never sound enthusiastic about the job when talking to the interviewer. He encouraged us to drop in a statement along the lines of 'I'd enjoy this work and consider it a good fit after my experience doing X, or because this builds on what I've learned doing Y.' He said the folks who tell you they want to do the job--and why--tend to stand out a bit more.

ALL the best of luck to you. Hang in there and let us know how it's going!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
Die Cut Diva

I'm a little late...but I'm a huge proponent of handmade thank you cards with a handwritten thank you! Granted I'm in a bit of a creative field (PR)...but I think its a MUST to at least send a handwritten thank you, even if you do a store bought monogram card or something.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #7
Pearl-ExPert

I actually did this! The card was not stamped though & had kind of striped decorative paper, it was pretty simple. I did end up getting the job, but not right away. They hired someone else. A few months later, however, another position opened up & they called me. No one ever mentioned the card so not sure how they received it!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

For my current job (I've been here 4 years now)... I intereviewed with SIX people. I made handmade cards based on things they told me in the interview about themselves. I'm an Administrative Assistant and every single person I interviewed with was very impressed with my attention to detail as well as my thoughfulness and professionalism.

Good luck with your interview!

Softangelkisses likes this post.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #9
Stazon Splitcoast

I think it REALLY depends what kind of job; what industry; and what kind of company (conservative or renegade).

I would err on the side of a nicely typed thank you on good, heavyweight bond or rag paper.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #10
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

some places want to see a typed thank you letter because it gives them a hint as to whether or not you know your way around a word processing program enough to format a basic letter....

now you could have had someone else type it for you but most people do it themselves.

and it gives hints as to whether or not you
a) can spell
b) can use spell check
c) attention to detail - do you actually proofread your letter for homophones
d) do you know where the date, greeting, closing go?
e) how is your grammer? do you use proper verb tenses?

you can get some of this with a handmade card but not really.

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 06-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #11
Pearl-ExPert

I think a handmade thank you card is a lovely, personal touch - but I'd keep it very simple and professional looking... perhaps "Thank You" embossed on ivory cardstock. Good luck on your job search!
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
stampergrl likes this post.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #12
ajm
Insane Embellisher

Well, I sent hand made thank you cards for the current job I have as an Admin Assistant. I really believe that I already had the job on paper and the interview was just a formality to make sure I didn't show up with a bad case of bed head or something, so I'm not sure how the cards went over. One of my duties now is making birthday cards for everyone in the department though.

Ann
Old 06-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #13
Stampin' Fool

I work a corporate training financial job and sent a crafted thank you card after my interview. I think as long as the card looks nice and well put together, it should be fine. I actually think showing my "craftiness" got me my job. It showed that I could be creative too. Good luck with the interview!
Old 06-19-2008, 08:21 AM   #14
Compulsive Stamper

Default Do it your way.

I'd say send it your way. It would stand out and be more appreciated if it's created by your hands as uniquely as you are. Who even knows what happens to the Thank you cards we send? have you ever seen your card after you were hired? Do they keep them in your file or throw them away. I bet a uniquely made card will remind them of who you are and possibly open the door to the job you applied for. So be you, because you only get one time to make an impression. Even with a thank you card.

Those who refuse to work for themselves will always work for others.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
Cardstock Collector

Default handmade cards as interview thank you notes

I'm late on this thread but wanted to comment! At an important job I was trying to get (an advisor/counselor position at a college) I made small handmade cards for the whole committee. I never got feedback on whether they like them (as it took them months for the paperwork to go through for the hires) but a year later I was in a lady's office who interviewed me and I saw the card I made sitting on her bookcase.

Recently, I just applied for a very similar postition (advisor for a college), there were 10 committee members on the interview panel. The town the college is in values artisan crafts, etc. I made cards for all the committee members. Some of them were higher status men who could probably care less, and others were women who would definitely appreciate the cards. The single most thing I was mindful of was how it would further shape their opinion of me - and so I took the risk. I should find out soon if I got the job, but regardless I had to weigh it out whether or not it was a good idea to make that impression. It's important what you write too.. I used a thank you stamp and told them it was a pleasure meeting with them and I look forward to working with them soon.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #16
Inking Addict

I saw this and had to comment as well. Years ago, I was working as a freelancer for a female marketing director. I really wanted to secure more work from her. I was making handmade Papercrafting books for Christmas gifts for family members and decided to send her one as well. As it turned out, she really appreciated it and gave me more work. That was more than 10 years ago, and I still do projects for her. That being said, if it was a male, I don't know if I'd get the same results!
Old 05-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #17
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree with everyone else - it seems to be situational. Now once the job is secured - that's another story - then I say pour it on!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #18
Insane Embellisher

Jumping on late as well and wanted to chime in, I interview approximately 25 to 30 candidates a month for caregiving positions. I have never in the 8 years I have been doing this, recieved a single card. A thank you card definately tells the agency/company that you are interested, serious and eager to hear back soon. good luck