Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By craftjunkiesc
  • 1 Post By lilactime
  • 1 Post By RileyRuxpin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
Crimping Master

Default Need advice about a drunk co-worker

It has become apparent to all at work that one co-worker is "under the influence" of something. Management has asked corporate HR what their recourse is & have been told unless this person admits (without being questioned) to drinking/being drunk, there's nothing that can be done except send them home. I find this UNACCEPTABLE! This person has become an embarrassment to the rest of the team & is affecting how we work with them. Clients are now commenting on this person's "condition". If corporate HR won't do anything & won't authorize management to do anything, what recourse do I have as an employee? We've been told not to say anything to this co-worker because nothing can be proven. Do I report them to my state's employment commission? EEOC? It's creating a hostile work environment and I don't feel any of us should have to work with this person when they are undoubtedly intoxicated. Would I wrong if I refused to work with this person - either they go or I go- scenario? I don't necessarily want to get this person fired; I just want them to be sober when they come to work? And by not doing anything at all, isn't management/HR setting a precedent that it's OK to come to work drunk?
I'd appreciate any feedback on this. I don't want to leave my job, but I don't want to dread going in everyday and dealing with an alcoholic either.
TIA.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Kookie Creator

I would suggest to management to call that person out on their poor performance if they can't specifically address their alcohol use for whatever reason.
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.-Ephesians 4:32
Old 06-15-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
Glitter Guru

Send a message via AIM to calgramma Send a message via MSN to calgramma

You as a co-worker need to go to HR and let them know that you are going to file a report with the state EEOC about a hostile work environment and tell them why. If enough of you go to HR, something will have to be done. And, take your manager with you. He needs to know that in some states, if he's not addressing the problem, then he can be included in any lawsuits that are filed because of this 'drunk'. I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Another thing I would do is call the EEOC (or whomever is your 'labor board') and ask if the information you've been given by HR is correct. I think the employee can be subjected to a 'drug' test if drugs or alcohol are 'suspected', and in some states, they can just be 'random'. Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:08 AM   #4
Crimping Master

Thanks for the advice. I did inform my manager yesterday that I will no longer work with this individual if they are not sober at work. The mgr said they agreed with me & knew the issue was escalating. Everyone up the chain of command is blaming the next higher-up. I'll see how it goes on Monday when this co-worker comes to work. My next step will be to contact HR myself (history tells me this will be a long, drawn out step as they are not quick to respond) and if no results, then I will contact EEOC. I think I need to inform management that I'm doing this, but I don't want to make it seem like I'm "threatening" the company. I also don't want to do it behind their backs. Can I just say I HATE CONFRONTATION!
Old 06-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
Stampin' Fool

Management wants to send an altered employee "home"? How should they get there? Drive drunk? Incredible. I am so sorry for your work situation, I would be extremely uncomfortable too.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
Crimping Master

Fortunately, this employee doesn't drive. A family member brings/takes them home daily. But if they were to be "sent home", they would have to take a cab or another employee would have to drive them. So far, they've been sober when I've worked the same shift. We'll see how long this lasts. Management hasn't spoken about the situation since the last incident. We'll see how things go the rest of this week.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
Crimping Master

Well, it took a couple of weeks, but the co-worker did come in to work today "under the influence" of something. Not as bad as is has been, but definitely not sober. I mentioned it to management, but nothing was done. I informed management that I would be calling to report this to HR. I made the call as soon as I got home. But of course, I couldn't talk to a live person, so I left a message but have heard nothing as of yet.
Thanks for letting me vent & for all your suggestions.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:22 AM   #8
Crimping Master

I had to make a second call to HR the next day because this co-worker could not stand steady to sign their name, literally. I did get a call back & supposedly an investigation is in progress. I know I did the right thing for this person as well as the rest of our crew. But that does not alleviate the anxiety I feel for what's ahead for all of us. Can't sleep & can't eat. I know I'm gonna be the "bad guy" in this person's eyes, as well as other co-workers. I'm OK with that. It's just gonna be hard, but not as hard as working with an unfit employee. Again, thanks for letting me vent.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
Stazon Splitcoast

I know you are documenting this here but are you documenting it elsewhere? You need to document when the employee is "altered", where, who is witness, etc. as well as who is informed and what you were told. Every person on your crew should be doing the same. It creates an evidence chain that keeps you from being the "bad guy" because you were just documenting it. When I was a union rep in England that was the first thing we told employees with a grievance to document things at the time and to keep that information in a safe place - i.e. if anyone wants copies make the copies and they can reimburse your costs. Don't let your information out of your hands (I had a friend whose domestic violence case was lost because the information got lost...).
Old 07-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #10
Crimping Master

I have documented everything. Don't think other co-workers have though. HR finally gave the go-ahead for our manager to "counsel" the employee on their state of intoxication. Even gave permission to use the term "alcohol consumption". Thankfully, this employee have been sober for over 1 week, so really no action has been taken - yet. I'm praying this will continue, but that has not been the pattern. Thanks for the advice.
RiverIsis likes this post.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

This probably isn't the issue your co-worker is having, but situations like this may be why Human Resources has to be so careful: Woman Acts Drunk in Medical Mystery
Old 07-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #12
Stampin' Fool

Send a message via Yahoo to stmpsusan

I work in H.R. and we have had situations like this. Does your company have an Employee Assistance Plan (EAP)? It is a benefit that provides free counseling to employees? If they do, HR can call the employee in and tell them that their behavior indicates they are under the influence of something and that HR requiring the employee to call the EAP and follow through with whatever treatment EAP requires of them as a condition of continued employment. The EAP will let HR know if the employee is following the EAP's treatment plan/counseling or not. If they are not, the employee can be terminated.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
Embossing Fanatic

An intervention type approach (get help, sober up or lose your job) or sending the person to an Employee Assistance program where they will get help to deal with their addiction has been something I have seen work in the past.
stmpsusan likes this post.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
Embossing Fanatic

Default Book Recommendation

Not sure how to post a new thread. Help?
This Book Sounds Good.
I heard an interview of an impressive author that you might find interesting. His new book is "Hope After Faith" by Gerry DeWitt and Ethan Brown. Lafayette, Louisiana.
Lots on-line about it. The interview was on the program Studio Q, which is a Canadian show, but also broadcast in the U.S. One of the authors was a Pentecostal Minister.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #15
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Send a message via Yahoo to Serenity_Stamper

there are two helpful websites, and feel free to PM me if you have more questions

Welcome to Al-Anon Family Groups

Alcoholics Anonymous :

blessings, lela

Stampin' Up! Challenges on SCS
Old 08-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #16
Embossing Fanatic

Been there! Whatever you do, DON'T quit your job because of this! You need to work and shouldn't be penalized by having to stay in this situation. Don't make this personal. When you talk to HR/your manager/other employees, etc., take the stance that "these are the facts - just the facts". Don't use "I feel" or "I think". This will keep you from being perceived as someone's who's feelings are getting hurt, or your "overly" sensitive., etc. And if the person in question speaks to you while intoxicated, firmly tell him/her that you will discuss business with them only when they are capable of carrying on an intelligent conversation - and walk away. HR is right, without an actual blood alcohol test, they cannot acuse this person of being intoxicated. What they can do is send them home for failure to perform their duties. And as stated in this thread before DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!
RiverIsis likes this post.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #17
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to diecuts4u

the next time the employee is impaired at work someone needs to call the POLICE-duh they can arrest the individual anywhere.......................no one should have to put up with this in the workplace.