Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
Crimping Master

Default my daughter's mustache

My 13 yr old dd is half Asian and has a fair amount of dark hair on her upper lip. She has waxed her eyebrows a few times but the area ends up a little lighter in pigment, so she doesn't want to wax her upper lip. Is Nair ok to use? She is really self concious about it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't use it myself, but I think Nair also can have a tendency to affect skin color as well. I've read it can darken skin over time. What about letting her apply a little foundation to darken up the lighter spots to match the rest of her skin color on her face? Then she can stick to waxing. I think the chemicals in Nair can be so harsh on such young skin.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
Stampin' Fool

My daughter JUST asked me about hers too! I don't think its noticeable, but I understand being a self-conscious 13 year old. I wondered about bleaching it - I have no experience in this department, so I, too, wonder what is a good way to handle it?

Duranfan = hope you & your daughter find a good solution that works well for her! Sorry, I'm no help, other than in the same boat!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
Polyshrink Goddess

Since I use my name on this site, this is a tad bit embarassing to admit. As a grown woman with a genetic predisposition to grow my own 'stache I'll be honest to admit to shaving with a standard disposable razor. I used to wax but just could keep up with appointments since I'm 30 minutes from a salon and can't get there often. I don't have to do it often and my husband has never seen me shaving my upper lip! I also shave the blonde peach fuzz at the sides of my face because it makes my makeup much easier to apply. Before you steer your daughter down the chemical route, consider shaving. It does NOT grow in thicker and darker, but it does grow in at the same length which may be why people think that.

As my best friend says, "Stamping....it's cheaper than therapy" to which I add, "Not by much".

My mom was the proud recipient of my first handmade card. Cost $200.

~My Gallery~
Old 04-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
Rubber Obsessor

check this out it's called my spring it

My Spring It I'm planning to try it for my daughter. I saw it on a youtube video awhile back there is a video on their site as well
Old 04-10-2012, 03:40 AM   #6
Pearl-ExPert

Since this will be an issue the rest of her life, the cost of waxing or other hair removal products would certainly add up over time. Have you thought about exploring electrolysis or laser hair removal? Probably a big up front cost but once completed, it should pretty much last her until she hits menopause and starts getting "manly" facial hair.

I've got PCOS and am approaching menopause so I have more manly facial hair than I'd like - a double whammy!. I have to basically get my face waxed from the cheekbones to down to and including under my chin. Over the years, I often thought about getting laser eye surgery but other expenses always came up and now I'm into progressive lenses which would probably make me ineligible. I've often joked that once I could afford getting my eyes lasered, that then I'd save to get my "beard" done LOL! Ah, the joys of being a woman!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Crimping Master

thanks, all, for the suggestions. I never even thought about using some foundation to even things out (so far, she has shown no interest in makeup!). that may be our best course for now. i'd love to do electrolysis, but we simply can't afford it right now. she is so beautiful (i know i'm biased!), but it is pretty noticable, and i want her to feel confident.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
Pearl-ExPert

I did a quick look at prices for lip laser treatment here in NS and it is around $55. If I understand correctly, that is inclusive of more than one trip since it takes a couple of sessions before it is gone for good. It is probably even cheaper in the USA - everything costs more in Canada

A quick look at Nair on Walmart.com (if you went that route) is $5 for a tube of the facial type. Online says it lasts roughly two weeks before it needs to be applied again. So for the cost for 11 treatments of Nair (22 weeks) would equate to the cost of laser. Waxing typically lasts 2-6 weeks, closer to two weeks unless some plucking is involved. Lip waxing in my area is around $14. There's also a technique out there called threading which is growing in popularity. That one might prevent the skin coloring issues.

While the laser might look the most expensive, it might be the most economical in the end. Plus, it would not require any make-up to camouflage the skin, which is another added expense to add into the mix since she doesn't yet wear makeup.

Of course the prices for these things could be totally different in your areas as compared to what I've found in my area.

Hope this helps as you help her make a decision on which way to go.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
Die Cut Diva

I haven't used it but what about NO! NO!

no!no! Professional hair removal, acne clearance & skin care for consumers
Old 04-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
Stampin' Fool

I am Caucasian, but I have dark hair on my upper lip. I've been using Sally Hanson Extra Strength Creme Hair Bleach for Face for many years now. It's nice because the hairs seem to grow at different rates, so I can go a while between bleachings because for quite some time I have just a few dark hairs here and there which aren't really noticeable.

If you try it, don't panic when you wash the cream off. The skin may look lighter in the area you bleached, but this goes away after about 15 minutes or so.

I generally bleach about once a month, and a package of the product costs about $7 from Walgreens where I'm living. BUT, one package should give you multiple uses. I bleach my upper lip and my arm hair from the elbows down, and I get two uses per package. Since it takes a lot more product to cover my arms, I am guessing you should be able to get at least 6 applications out of a box of bleach.

It doesn't take much time, about 15 minutes total. Follow the directions on the box carefully, though. They suggest that you spot-test to be sure that your skin doesn't get irritated, and I think that's good advice to follow. Also, I do experience a little bit of slight burning/tingling in the first couple of minutes while I'm waiting for the bleach to do its thing, but it's not a big deal and it goes away after a couple of minutes.

Good luck to you and your daughter in finding a solution. I have a 13 year-old and she is so self-conscious! It's a rough age.

Christine
Old 04-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #11
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukie View Post
There's another thread somewhere on SCS saying the No No sucks! I can't remember the details but apparently it does not work.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
Crimping Master

My concern about bleaching: I'm afraid the hair will be so light as to contrast with her skintone. I use it, but I'm extremely fair
Old 04-14-2012, 03:50 AM   #13
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Read the reviews on Amazon before you purchase this product, they are terrible.
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: No!no! 8800 Series Hair Removal Device - Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukie View Post
Old 04-14-2012, 06:04 AM   #14
Crimping Master

Someone else told me that shaving won't make it grow in thicker, so that may the best course for now. I know in the long run electrolysis would be less than waxing/bleaching, we just don't have it "up front" right now
Old 04-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
Gallery Gazer

Go ahead and wax her upper lip, it is way better than any other methods and lasts longer, unless you opt for laser hair removal!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #16
Glitter Queen

I'm Asian with a little 'stache. It's gotten lighter and grows in slower than when I was a teenager. I'm 36 now. When I was in junior high and high school I used the Sally Hansen bleach. It was difficult to get the timing and it burned. I the switched to the Sally Hansen cold wax strips. Those worked well unless I didn't pull correctly. I was left with a scab from ripping my skin off.

I now use a Bellabe Facial Hair threader (Bellabe Facial Hair Remover Threader. Original Authentic USA Made). I use it once a month or when my hair is noticeable to me. It's painful but it removes the hair.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #17
ckv
Matboard Maniac

8pril, the Bellabe really works? Is it hard to use? I am thinking of buying 2 if it really works because I have been trying to find something that will be easier than plucking.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #18
Glitter Queen

ckv, it really works. It's not hard to use. You just bend it into an upside down U and the roll the ends between your fingers. It's like a manual epilator. It makes my eyes water, but it's faster than plucking.