Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
Glitter Guru

Default Moving Tips

I'm compiling a list of good moving tips for a project I'm working on. If you've moved short distance or long distance, do you have some good advice to pass along? Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Kookie Creator

I have one I can think of... "When in doubt, do without". If you have something you don't specifically know what you're going to do with or where you'll put it in your new home, either donate it or pack it for storage before you move it! I still have a pile of stuff in my basement that I now realize I didn't need to bring with me and the tedious task of sifting through it haunts me 3 years later! I wish I did this.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

Save money on bubble wrap; use towels and clothing instead to wrap dishes, fragile stuff, etc.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
CBC Lady Violet

Although it may cost a little more than getting random boxes everywhere - buy boxes all the same size. Makes it so much easier to stack and load.
Label, label, label! Label the outside of the boxes on all four sides & the lid, so no matter how it is stacked, you can see where it needs to go.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
Polyshrink Goddess

Pack a room at a time and as Anemone said, label the boxes. When you get to your new location, all the "Kitchen" boxes go no futher than the kitchen, "bathroom", "bedroom", etc. make it where they belong also.

As my best friend says, "Stamping....it's cheaper than therapy" to which I add, "Not by much".

My mom was the proud recipient of my first handmade card. Cost $200.

~My Gallery~
Old 09-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
Rubber Obsessor

If you're moving a short-ish distance with dogs, take them with you to the new place a couple of times when you move stuff in. It helps them adapt to the new environment more easily.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:32 AM   #7
Crimping Master

It is a great opportunity to purge! If you haven't used something in a long time DO NOT move it to your new location--it is time to get rid of it! That includes the clothing in your closet you have been hanging onto.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:16 AM   #8
Insane Embellisher

my tip is to have a box ready for moving day with things in it that you might need and this goes right in the car with you

....you might need pain killers if someone gets a headache or bandaids,
baby bottles, diapers, change of clothes'
toothpaste and tooth brushes
knife to open boxes
garbage bag
medication

anything you or your kids might need and you don't have to search boxes to find it.........

if moving late in the day....maybe sheets or blankets for beds......
Old 09-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
Crimping Master

I've moved three times from March to June...now I'm in my DREAM home and will never move again....lol

A great tip is: challenge your friends...that's right. I was moving on March 25th so on March 1st I sent an email to six of my friends and challenged them to sort, organize, purge, toss, give away, etc. I sent tips and we all shared stories of what we were doing and how we were coming along with the task. We also shared stories of growing up and chatted about our parents and some of them grew up in war times, so they saved everything and if alive today, wouldn't part with anything.

I sent an introduction email to everyone, not all my friends of met each other, we all live within two hours of each other. I mentioned little tidbits about each friend...some were "save everything", some are don't need it, toss it out, some of husbands who are hoaders.

It was a lot of fun, great motivation for everyone, I was well organized with packing, did one room at a time, had all the same size boxes/totes, labelled and labelled, had an emergency box for the day of..also kept legal papers in for house closing, etc.

Less is more now for me, some of my friends want me to help them purge, etc. They all want me to organize a March Challenge every year...and that's great...but...I won't be moving.

Also....animal shelters take used towels and sheets/blankets that you no longer need.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:20 AM   #10
Crimping Master

Pack a regular suit case just like you were going on a trip for a few days. That way you will have everything you need without sorting through boxes (clothed, meds, even a book/magazine to relax with).
Old 09-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #11
Die Cut Diva

I grew up moving lol 25 moves in 23 years and 3 years ago I moved from the UK to Canada.
  1. Purge
  2. label label and label again - write the location of what room the box needs to go into in the new house
  3. Number each box, keep a list of a brief description of contents of each box
  4. cheap protective packaging that is bio degradable ...popcorn.
  5. if moving and driving - in your car keep overnight kit, clothes, medication, bandaids (plasters in my world!), bottles of water, snacks, kettle, cups, coffee maker and if your me a bottle of wine and bottle opener bedding
  6. when you arrive, have one person as director of traffic and unpacker, and the rest unloading and setting up furnture etc
  7. first room...bedroom - make the beds - even if this is a mattress on the floor, as long as you have somewhere to fall into at the end of the day the rest will work its self out.
  8. if you have the means - hire people to pack for you - they do it daily and know all the tricks of the trade, we moved our household across the atlantic, including 2 jukeboxes and antiques and the only and I mean the only thing damaged was a plastic container carrying paperwork - and that got dropped just outside my front door.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
Glitter Guru

These are great tips! Thanks, everyone!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #13
Watercolor Wizard

The bigger the box, the lighter the things you should put into it. Try lifting a huge and super heavy box. It's not a good idea!

I completely agree with purging first.

Label your boxes by room or item. Label them on multiple sides and using large letters/labels so you can see them from multiple directions. If you only label them on the top, then you have to pick up the boxes that are stacked on top of them to figure out where to unpack them!

I also pack a set of essentials. I include the following:
Basic cleaning items, including hand soap, paper towels and trash bags
Toilet Paper
Toiletries
Whatever I need to make it through the first night and next morning in case things don't go right or as quickly as I think they will. That way, I don't have to unpack things to sleep.
Snacks and water
Old 09-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
Insane Embellisher

make up the mattress with sheets and blankets before you put it in the mattress box. When you pull it out on the other end it's ready for you.

Color code stickers for each room. Floor plan at the front door with the proper color on each room helps the movers without you having to 'direct' traffic.

If you don't want it to go in the van, hid it in your car. One set of friends the movers packed the garbage. That was in a room with the door closed. And a sign on the door saying do not pack.

Packing your own boxes? Pack 'tight' so things don't shift around and maybe get damaged.

Like Juki, I moved 28 times before we landed here. (Military spouse)
Old 09-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #15
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

If you know the move is coming up, pack--and purge--in stages as far ahead of time as possible. If you have a spare room or corner of the garage you can use as a staging area, pack as much as you can as early as possible. For example if you know you're moving in June, you can start right away on going through the winter stuff, donating what you don't use any more, and packing the rest up, and as Sophie said, use clothes and towels to save on bubble wrap for sturdy items. Just DON'T skimp on wrapping fragile, irreplaceable things. If you have things that need replacing, wait till you're on the other side of the move and save yourself having to lug them. An hour or two every couple of days, a couple of months out can make a big difference.

Finally, identify the things you'll most want/need immediately in your new house--dishes, pots, pans, towels, bed linens, clothes, and if possible take them with you so you know you'll have them right away on arrival.

Having what you need right on hand and not having to go through and purge things you don't need after arrival makes settling in to a new home a lot easier, quicker, and more comfortable.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #16
Crimping Master

Aside from where each box needs to go (garage, kitchen, bedroom 1,2, etc.), after packing, number your box on a top corner. Record the main contents of that box on your laptop or in a notebook. It doesn't take that long and you'll have a complete inventory. Some of those boxes may not be opened for a while and you'll always be able to locate your "stuff." We've moved 9 times....I could write a book
Marcia
Old 10-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #17
Die Cut Diva

My husband is in the Air Force so we've moved a lot, 11 houses in 18 years.

In the new home we stack the boxes in the garage like a warehouse. It's easier to put the furniture in and it's easier to walk in the house without a bunch of boxes. Also your house feels more home like, it is more relaxing.

I think ahead of super easy meals to prepare, like spaghetti, frozen skillet suppers, etc. I bring the things I'll need to prepare those with us or put them in an open first box. It is faster, cheaper, and healthier to eat at home.

In an open first box: toilet paper, rags for cleaning, silverware (once we didn't find our silverware for a week!)

We bring with us an air mattress for everyone, towels, sheets, pillows, a folding table and chairs. We also bring important papers, pictures, and things that can't be replaced.

Look on the internet for something you'll enjoy in your new location. It helps to know you're moving to somethng good.

If you are traveling a long distance and you have pets, you'll have to check ahead to see which places take pets and what their requirements are. We had a 3 day drive this summer and we had to eat lunch outside with our dog. It was 109 degrees!

Before you go get your medical and dental records. Don't forget mamograms and vet records as well.