Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Crimping Master

Default On-Line education

Curious to know what people know about this. Used to be if you did not go to a brick and mortar school, the degree was looked upon as "less" than other degrees. I remember seeing commercials of girls in bed with laptops "I go to school in my PJ's and you can too!' and laughing at them thinking how crazy it seemed. Over the past few years I think it has become more common and maybe even more accepted by employers. I have a friend who did her schooling online and when she was a few credits away from graduating, she went to an actual school to get her diploma so she did not have the stigma of attending an online school.

To those of you who do the hiring at your job: What do you think when you see a resume with an online university degree? Does it matter to you? Do you think they are the same as any other degree? With another child getting ready to go to college, this has me thinking. Thanks in advance for your input!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
CBC Lady Violet

Do your research. Not all online courses are created equal. There are reputable, well-respected universities that offer courses online.
There are also schools that offer courses that are not all that well-respected.
Do some online research. Consumer reviews, etc.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:04 AM   #3
Polyshrink Goddess

A lot of brick and mortar schools offer online courses. Some even offer complete degrees online. That could certainly help with worries about reputation.

Also, many schools are offering their content free. There are Ivy League schools that offer tons of courses for free. Anyone could learn the content. However, when it is free, no degree is granted. So, it could be a way to enhance skills and knowledge base without paying lots of money.

On a side note, online courses are NOT easier. More often than not, they require more work from the student. Everything is text-based. You will have to sit at a computer a lot to communicate something that would take just a few minutes or seconds in a face to face interaction. The successful online student works well independently, and is good at setting goals and accomplishing them without someone reminding them to turn something in. For a traditional (face to face) college class, a student should spend 2 hours preparing and studying for every classroom hour. The ratio is much higher for online courses.

(I am not opposed to online classes; it's just that a lot of students go into it not seeing the actual time commitment.)

SCS just keeps getting better and better!!!!
Old 11-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
Rubber Obsessor

Www.coursera.org free online tertiary classes from leading universities including places like John Hopkins! I just found the site and have already enrolled in a class for next year if you know any other good sites for free tertiary classes I would love to hear about it!