Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2006, 06:14 AM   #1
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via AIM to virginia
Default Let's share stories about our childhood

Do you have some particularly funny and memorable stories to share about your childhood?

I'll start us off...

One day when I was about five or six, I got it in my head that I could fly if I tried hard enough and made wings big enough. We had a mimosa tree in our yard and I used some of the smaller branches to construct the frame for my wings. I used the leaves to make the feathers and my dad's car as my launch pad.

So after much construction and tying on leaves with string, I had my friend who lived down the street help me tie my "wings" on my arms. I then climbed on top of my dads car and flapped like mad as I hurled myself as high as I could off the car. I always came crashing down of course, but boy was it fun and I was determined to make it work. So after about 50 tries, I decided I wasn't high enough and climbed the tree.

Of course I crashed down pretty hard and at that point realized that flying wasn't that great anyway. I retired my battered wings and went off to some other crazy adventure, like going on a kitten hunt. I was obsessed with kittens and the lady across the street from us had scores of them! That's another story though.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-04-2006, 06:30 AM   #2
Glitter Guru

Virginia,

What a fun idea! That was funny about you trying to fly. My dh tried to fly when he was a kid too! LOL

OK - here is one of the stories from my childhood.....

My uncles cat had kittens and he talked my mom in to letting me have TWO of them. Blackie - a boy and Snow White - a girl. He assured my mom that since they were siblings, they would not mate..... One day, Snow White had 3 kittens! We watched her give birth and that was my first introduction to the birds and bees... My mom was furious at my uncle..... Anyway a couple weeks later, I came running in the house saying "Mommy, mommy! Blackie is having kittens!" My mom went into to a discussion about the birds and bees (again) and explained that boy cats can't have kittens - blah blah blah. I just looked at her and said "BUT MOMMY! Blackie IS having kittens!" She went out to the garage with me and sure enough Blackie was having kittens! My uncle still swore that Blackie was a boy! Several weeks later - I had chosen the ONE kitten I was allowed to keep.... My mom went out to start the car and heard MEOW - and saw Snow White run from under the car. She went to start the car again and it still would not start! She opened up the hood - and there was my kitten -- in bits and pieces! She called my dad at work in tears and asked him what to do. He said to place the "kitty parts" in a bag and take them down the hill behind us and throw them in the river. About a half hour later she called my dad again in hysterics --- when she threw the bag, it gotcaught in tree limbs and was just hanging there! She asked my dad what to do next. He said just to keep me inside and not let me go down the hill until he got home. Of course, as soon as I got home, I looked for my ONE kitten I had chosen. I could not find him. I asked my mom where he was and she took me inside, sat me down on my bed and explained that the kitten died because he was under the hood of the car when she started it. I guess I should add that she had previously ran over a couple of my previous cats! I looked up at her and through my tears I said "Mommy, can I get a bird so you can't kill it?"
Old 03-04-2006, 06:40 AM   #3
Cardstock Collector

Default Another story

I loved the other stories! Here is one of mine....

When I was 5 years old we lived on a farm and loved to play in the hayloft. One day my brother,who is 3 years older, was swinging from a rope attatched to the roof of the barn. He would swing out on the rope from the hayloft, let go and then land on the hood of my father's large orange truck. It made a great "dong" noise when he landed. I need to point out my dad had previously told my brother not to jump on the hood of the truck as he left little dents in it. Well, I was too scared to try swinging from the rope. My brother said, "just come over here and hold the rope in your hands to get the feel of it." How gullible was I? I went over to the edge of the hayloft and held the rope, at which point my brother pushed me. Well, I did hold on and swing from the rope, but no way was I letting go. Sooo, my brother had to go get my dad who had to climb on the hood of his truck to catch me and get me down. Needless to say, my brother didn't do that again!
Old 03-04-2006, 06:43 AM   #4
Die Cut Diva

Oh man, your poor mom! I'd hate to have to pull out kitten parts from under a hood. Ick.

So did you ever get a bird?
Old 03-04-2006, 06:45 AM   #5
Mad Swapper

When I was 6 or 7 and my brother was 5ish, he got it into his head that he could take an old dog bone, tie it a rope, have his gullible sister stand next to a tree, throw it, and wrap me around the tree with the rope. Needless to say, it didn't go quite like that. He hit me in the head, as we all know head wounds bleed tremendously, and then ran off to stay out of trouble. My mother washed my blonde hair (now pink from the blood) and checked over the wound, while my dad when hunting for my brother. The sad part was that we were all dressed for dinner at my grandparents' country club.
I never let me him live this down.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:46 AM   #6
Die Cut Diva

I didn't have any older brothers to torment me. I was the oldest and sometimes did the tormenting though. I played some pretty mean tricks on my terrible horrible little sister.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:49 AM   #7
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia
Oh man, your poor mom! I'd hate to have to pull out kitten parts from under a hood. Ick.

So did you ever get a bird?
no - never got a bird I think I had every other pet imaginable though (including a snake - but that is another story!)

Thanks so much for starting this thread!
Old 03-04-2006, 02:41 PM   #8
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Now-a-days this would probably be considered child abuse.

My daddy was cutting grass and I saw him pick up a stick. He called me down to where he was and gave me the stick and told me to take it up to the house.

To get it out of the way of the lawn mower....right?

NOT!

About half way to the house I FINALLY noticed a small green snake working it's way up the stick towards me.

Daddy was laughing so hard he has to stop the lawn mower.

I never figured out the humor in that one.

And....I was HIS FAVORITE! I shudder to think what he would have done to my poor little brother.

Last edited by Granny Hawkins; 03-04-2006 at 02:50 PM..
Old 03-04-2006, 02:45 PM   #9
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

My friends and I were tomboys and climbing trees was a favorite thing for us to do.

With one very big tree we climbed we needed a ladder to get to the first limb.

Three of us went up the ladder....two of us came down and took the ladder leaving the other "friend" up in the tree for hours until her mother came looking for her.

Not only did we leave her but we down to another friend's house and actually left her at my house alone and up a tree.

Believe it or not she remained our friend.

Last edited by Granny Hawkins; 03-04-2006 at 02:51 PM..
Old 03-04-2006, 03:01 PM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast

I grew up in Traverse City, MI, right in the middle of the snow belt. We got a lot of snow. One of my favorite memories as a kid was how big the snow would get along the bottom of the yard between the road and the driveway. The snow was always really packed hard because of the snow plows. They were perfect for making forts. I remember tunneling all through those things. It gets dark in the winter at like 5:30 here so I remember playing out in the snow after dinner and it would sparkle in the moon light. I would pretend that my yard was full of diamonds.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #11
Forum Fanatic

When I was about 11 my family was headed home after spending some time at the family camp. My mom suddenly asked my father to stop the car because she saw a UFO. My sister and I and my mom all got out to look. My dad, in the meantime, was getting a little upset. It was, after all, just a plane. So I try to be a good girl and at least sit in the car, one foot in, one foot out, dangling in back, right in front of the rear tire. My dad shifted the car into gear as he was hollering at my mom to get in and when he did that, it rolled right onto my foot. I screamed "You're on my foot, you're on my foot!" He thankfully figured out what I was saying and backed the car up and off my foot. It immediately swelled like there was a softball on my foot. First trip ever to the emergency room, which was about 30 minutes away.

I got one broken foot out of the deal and a lifetime of opportunities to tease my father.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #12
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by handstampedhappiness
I grew up in Traverse City, MI, right in the middle of the snow belt. We got a lot of snow. One of my favorite memories as a kid was how big the snow would get along the bottom of the yard between the road and the driveway. The snow was always really packed hard because of the snow plows. They were perfect for making forts. I remember tunneling all through those things. It gets dark in the winter at like 5:30 here so I remember playing out in the snow after dinner and it would sparkle in the moon light. I would pretend that my yard was full of diamonds.

I had this same experience in northern NH growing up. Snowbank forts were the best. I remember making a tunnel to the road and just watching the cars go by.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:30 PM   #13
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Oh boy, are you ready for this one??? I am about 2 1/2 years older than my sister, and I was always the habitual liar in the family. I do not remember how old I was, but I'm pretty sure I was at least 10 years old when this happened. I had been eating olives straight out of the jar in the fridge all day..the kind with pits. Well, I hadn't thrown the pits away and when my dad came home from work, he found the dog chewing on them. Well, our dog wasn't that big, and could have choked on one of them, I suppose. So my dad hollers, "who was eating olives?" Well, my mom didn't like olives, so she was out. My sister says "Not me!" and I of course said "Not me!" So all through supper, the conversation centers around the fact that someone in the house was eating olives that day, and someone wasn't being truthful about it, and someone was going to get in big trouble when the truth was found out! Well, I'm sure all along my parents knew I was the one lying, but they were waiting me out. At some point, my mom jumps up from the table, picks up the phone and dials (probably time and temp, or something obscure) and says "Hi! I was wondering how late you're open today?" and then hangs up and makes like she called the police! She proceeds to remove the jar of olives from the fridge with a pair of tongs, sets it in a pan, and tells my sister and I to go get ready...we're going to the police station to have the jar fingerprinted!!! So here I am, in my room, combing my hair and practicing how I'll smudge my fingerprint so they can't tell it's mine! We get to the police station, and my mom turns around, hands me the pan with the olive jar in it, and tells me to go inside and tell the police what I'm there for!!! Can you imagine what those officers inside would have thought had I walked in with that??? Of course, at that point I broke down and admitted to eating the olives. I was grounded from everything forever!!! And the really, really sad part of the whole story is that as traumatized as I was over it (or at least that's what I let my parents believe!) they don't remember a bit of it!!! Not one shred! My parents are now divorced, and my step-dad rolls on the floor with laughter everytime he hears this story!

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!
Old 03-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #14
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via AIM to falconer5dance

Brought you to the Police Station. PRICELESS! your story has me chuckling out loud.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconer5dance
Brought you to the Police Station. PRICELESS! your story has me chuckling out loud.
Hey, glad to provide some entertainment! My step-dad purposely asks me to retell the story when he needs a good laugh. Of course, I get more elaborate everytime I tell it, just to make my mom feel bad!

Old 03-04-2006, 03:47 PM   #16
Rubber Obsessor

I always liked climbing trees. When I was about 7, I was out climbing trees with the other kids from our building. I was wearing a dress with no panties. One of the neighbor kids noticed and said they were going to tell my mother. I ran in the house crying to my mother, "(so&so) is going to tell on me because I am not wearing my underwear!"
Old 03-04-2006, 03:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlngl
I always liked climbing trees. When I was about 7, I was out climbing trees with the other kids from our building. I was wearing a dress with no panties. One of the neighbor kids noticed and said they were going to tell my mother. I ran in the house crying to my mother, "(so&so) is going to tell on me because I am not wearing my underwear!"
Oh my! What a "show" you must have put on!!

Old 03-04-2006, 03:55 PM   #18
Rubber Obsessor

Oh yeah. Not to mention that I was trying to be quick to get inside before she could tell on me. In the process, I fell out of the tree into a bush that was under the tree. Still have scars on my legs from that one (25 yrs later)
Old 03-04-2006, 04:04 PM   #19
Rubber Obsessor

Heres one at a later stage. I was in 7th grade.My mother had some body lotion in the med cabinet, and I had dry skin. So, I used her lotion. It was in the middle of winter in VT (very cold) At school, everyone was complaining because it was so cold and they were freezing. Well, I wasnt. Every time the wind blew, I got very warm. When I got home and told my mother that I have felt really warm all day, and told her about the wind. She asked me if I used anything on my body that morning, then she asked me to get it. When I came in with the lotion, she was laughing so hard that she was crying. When I asked what was so funny, she said it was something on TV. The soap she was watching wasnt funny at the time. She knew what I had used before I even came back with it. Then she told me to read the rest of the container.

Guess what kind of lotion THAT was!
Old 03-04-2006, 04:55 PM   #20
Stazon Splitcoast

My mother took my brother to the fire station countless times for playing with fire. I didn't mind because I got to play in the fire trucks with the lights, etc.

To pick one story is so hard. Most of the ones that come to mind are me being rather mischevious. Here is one where I was totally innocent, just incredibly naive.

One lovely summer day we were eating watermelon after working out in the garden. I swallowed a watermelon seed and mentioned it to my parents. My father told me I needed to drink a lot of water fast to drown the seed so it wouldn't sprout out my head. I start to drink water because I didn't want anything sprouting. My mother started yelling that I needed to drink faster because she could see a shoot coming out my ear. I freaked, started to cry and gulped down water while my mother and father laughed hysterically!

Old 03-04-2006, 06:14 PM   #21
Chat Box Chick

You know how sometimes you mean to say one thing, but something else comes out? Well...

My best friend and I decided we were going to ride our bikes to my grandparents house. For whatever reason, we ended up taking only one bike. She was pedaling and I was on the handle bars. We got about 3/4 of the way there when this dog came out to the street barking and chasing us! She was pedaling as fast as she could but that darn dog kept chasing us. Finally he gets so close I thought he was gonna bite one of us so I started yelling at him. My friend starts laughing so hard that we ended up crashing on the road. As soon as we both hit the pavement the dog TURNED AROUND AND WENT HOME!!!! When I finally calmed down enough I asked her what in the world she was laughing at! Apparently when I was yelling at the dog, instead of saying "Dog, if you bite me I'm gonna kick your teeth in!" I said "Dog, if you kick me I'm gonna bite your teeth in!" GEEZ!

My Blog- Inky's Delight
Old 03-04-2006, 07:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Heres one at a later stage. I was in 7th grade.My mother had some body lotion in the med cabinet, and I had dry skin. So, I used her lotion. It was in the middle of winter in VT (very cold) At school, everyone was complaining because it was so cold and they were freezing. Well, I wasnt. Every time the wind blew, I got very warm. When I got home and told my mother that I have felt really warm all day, and told her about the wind. She asked me if I used anything on my body that morning, then she asked me to get it. When I came in with the lotion, she was laughing so hard that she was crying. When I asked what was so funny, she said it was something on TV. The soap she was watching wasnt funny at the time. She knew what I had used before I even came back with it. Then she told me to read the rest of the container.

Guess what kind of lotion THAT was!
Oh no!!! Ben Gay??? It's a wonder you weren't tingling, too!!!

I remember my Dad telling us that bees won't go in a garage, so whenever we were playing outside and there were bees around, we'd run into the garage, convinced that they wouldn't follow!

My 9 year old just told me today, as I'm opening my diet Coke and driving down the road, that she couldn't figure out why they kept talking in school about how you shouldn't drink and drive! She said she was always scared to say anything about her mom and dad drink and drive all the time!!! Can you imagine if she had??? She thought they meant drinking anything...water, pop, whatever! She never realized until recently that they meant alcohol!!

Old 03-05-2006, 03:35 AM   #23
Rubber Obsessor

I am sorry, I cant figure out how to put the quotes in. I clicked on the box below, but just cant figure it out. (Can someone tell me how please)

The lotion was not Ben Gay, it was a sex lotion that gets warm with air or friction.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:10 AM   #24
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
I am sorry, I cant figure out how to put the quotes in. I clicked on the box below, but just cant figure it out. (Can someone tell me how please)

The lotion was not Ben Gay, it was a sex lotion that gets warm with air or friction.

You should be able to just click on the quote box inside the post that you want to quote.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:29 AM   #25
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a couple that are kind of related. Neither was very nice but PLEASE don't flame me, I feel bad for everything I ever did as a kid!

When I was about 10 we had this boy that lived in the neighborhood named Danny. Danny was older than the rest of us, like mid teens. Danny also had Downs so he was really kind of on the same age level as us. Danny was great because we could get him to do all the stuff we were to chicken to do. (Again, please no flames).

My parents owned a duplex. We lived on one side and we rented out the other side to military families. We had this one family that lived there and the father had a huge hot temper. One day we found this pair of large soiled mens briefs next to one of the neighbors houses. (Never figured out where those came from) Well we got a brilliant idea. We called Danny over and told him the plan. Well the next day the neighbor's wife is over talking with my mother and she starts telling my mother about her husband reaching into the mailbox to get the mail and it was this pair of underwear. I had to leave the room because I was laughing so hard.

Another time a different neighbors son had some company (they were probably in their early 20's) He parked his VW bus in front of their house and went in but left the keys in the van. We happen to ride by on our bikes and saw the keys. So we get Danny to go on another mission. He opens up the passenger side door, slides over the seat and gets the keys. We had a rock wall oround the front of our house and he hid the keys in it. We sat across the street in the woods for what seemd like hours for this guy to come out. Wow was he mad. He said words I had never heard and may not agian. We laughed so hard we almost wet ourselves.

It seems like we came up with something new everyday but we didn't have any video games then. I guess we used a lot of imagination.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:45 AM   #26
Polyshrink Goddess

THat is too funny! I was thinking it was icy hot. Too funny! I bet your mom moved the lotion!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2006, 07:29 PM   #27
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to brightrachel1008

when i was 3 or 4, i was out playing in my uncles garden, and found this ball. i played with it for hours outside, when i went inside i told my mom, aunt, and uncle that i found the ball. my aunt said, "oh, let me see!" i handed her the ball, and never heard so many eeewwwwwsss. she said "it's a MOTHBALL!!!" and everybody laughed at me. it seems so trivial now, but i was so upset by it i went and hid under my uncles bed and was still embarrassed about it years later.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #28
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to brightrachel1008

i'm really close with my dh's family, and his brothers are always telling me stories of thier collective childhood. i wasn't told until about a year ago, a this story about my husband. he was about 4-5 years old, and was in bed asleep, before the other boys. and when you're the youngest of three boys all under the age of 10.. this is never good. the filled a paper bag with salt and pepper most of the way up, and blew it up the rest of the way. then popped it over his head. he didn't wake up, so they ran down to the living room and pretended to be asleep. a couple minutes later, a sleepy eyed john comes wandering through and into the kitchen where he proceeds to pour and eat a bowl of rice krispies without saying a word to anyone. his brothers at this point were doing everything they could to keep from busting out laughing.... and then out of nowhere they hear " i can hear you guys laughing..." from a grumbly still not awake john. this story is just too cute to me because i can imagine my husband as that adorable, picked on little boy.