Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #41
Hardware Hotshot

If my microwave died, we'd starve! Since there are only 2 of us, I only cook large meals once a week then we do leftovers.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
― Spider Robinson
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #42
Watercolor Wizard

Well, I encouraged Rainsong to start this thread, so thought I'd better post something.

I've read all your posts, and sigh.... I feel like the comedian George Gobel. He said, "Do you ever feel like the world is a Tuxedo, and you are a pair of brown shoes?" My current house is really pretty plain vanilla.

We moved into this house 18 years ago, downsizing from a very large 5 bedroom, 4 bath home where we had lived for 25 years and raised our 5 children.

Our former home was a lovely California contemporary (in the middle of Oklahoma, lol.) On a large wooded lot with a deck overlooking a creek. We had remodeled over the years many times, and eventually added an 800 sq. ft. master bedroom suite. I think our addition cost more than we had originally paid for the house in the 70's when houses were pretty cheap!

I loved every minute of living in it, was always finding "something" for the house that would be just perfect. But as we got older, and the kids left (and came back occasionally, it just became silly for my hubby and me to maintain all of it. I had gone back to work and had no desire to clean 4 toilets. Hubby was semi-retired and would much rather hit a golf ball than do yard work.
Our utility bills were outrageous.

We found this house in a subdivision and I loved it when I first walked in the door. It has an open floorplan, high ceilings, 3 beds, 2 baths, a small backyard. It has beautiful dark woodwork, many built in bookcases, and lovely dark crown molding. All the walls were just off-white textured plaster.

Here's where the boring part comes in. I have not CHANGED anything about the house since we moved in. This is so not like me, and I really don't quite understand it. I've bought new living room furniture, and a few decorative items, but other than that, haven't done much.

I decided maybe I just "decorated" myself to death all those years in the other house. I love watching the home shows, and love reading about all that you guys are doing. But so far, I have not been moved in all these 18 years to even pick up a paint brush!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 02-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #43
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

I love this thread!

Was thinking about something the other day. Even though my house is decorated in blues/whites/cottage feel. I love going to other people's homes and seeing how they decorate. Our neighbors have the same floor plan we do. Every room in their house is done in rich colors: golds/reds/deep orange with a very Old American style. It looks fabulous! Other friends have much more contemporary feels to their homes. I enjoy it all. I just prefer living with the softer colors. It really does help my mood. Our basement had been finished in a rather light paneling. However, I felt overwhelmed by the gloom. We recently painted the paneling an oatmeal color. It looks amazing! What a huge difference. The look of the painted paneling gives the walls interest and I am so happy I finally convinced hubby to do it. Actually, we have added rooms to the basement so there are actually only two walls that are painted paneling. But it looks so nice! We haven't replaced the horrible carpet down there, but even that looks better with the new paint!

How many of you have ever seen a black/white/red kitchen? I know of two people who have BRIGHT RED APPLIANCES in their kitchens. The one family recently tried to sell their home. I have a feeling that is one of the reasons it didn't sell. The kitchen is actually decorated in a Coca Cola theme. It doesn't look bad, just very bright. And certainly very personal.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #44
Stazon Splitcoast

Joanne - that is exactly why I like white/stainless (maybe black in kitchen) appliances. Painting is easy. Refurb isn't. I'm also all about the neutrals with things like surfaces and tiles.

The other thing we did when we painted the rooms was paint the insides of the closets white. I have been told that is unusual. To me it just seemed practical. The closets have a light and in the morning you can just turn on the clost light and it is bright enough to see what you want to see with the relected light. In our last house our "wardrobes" were wood inside and out, some times of the year it was difficult to sort out because it was so dark in there and I think it was from that experience that I decided that closets can be white on the inside.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #45
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerChick View Post
Are you married to my brother?

You enjoy your brown trim!
yes, been waiting for you to notice.

*kidding*
Old 02-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #46
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceramicat1 View Post
If my microwave died, we'd starve! Since there are only 2 of us, I only cook large meals once a week then we do leftovers.
Thing is we were eating a lot healthier with the microwave - so it must be a priority to replace. I had made a big slow cooker full of chili before the microwave sucker punched me. So we are still working our way through that.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #47
Stazon Splitcoast

Definitively get a new microwave.

So today I framed two posters I got on vacation. One is this:
Laminated Curiosity Cabinet Under Water Educational Chart Poster Prints at AllPosters.com

Brian thinks it's "weird" but I am in love. It will go in the white and Jaguar Teal room.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #48
Stazon Splitcoast

I feel like your microwave is attacking. Check it for the decepticon logo.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #49
Stazon Splitcoast

LOL! I will. Got the hubs to unplug it. So if it rises again we will definitely know.

I really can't comment on wall art. I have a watercolor print of Oxford skyline next to a series of photographs of Muhammed Ali around the corner from some Flintstones prints and that isn't even counting my "music" prints/setlists/nickstick/giant eyeball balloon (not my video but I probably have one of the eyeballs featured END of PLUG BABY w/ BALLOONS (from pit) - MUSE @ US Bank Arena, Cincinnati - YouTube ) that needs to be framed and put up.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #50
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Found it! Finally remembered to look for the thread. I love looking at how people decorate their homes. Unfortunately we have a home that's sort of difficult for me to wrap my head around doing much to. When we moved here, there weren't a lot of homes for sale in the first place, and we discovered that the land is worth more than the house anyway - Bay Area, CA - 40 miles from San Francisco.

But some of the smaller rooms can get redone. And my kitchen needs to basically be redone. Everything is 25 years old except the fridge but it's almost 20. The floor linoleum is in sad shape. So I plan to get going on that this year.

But for now, I wanted to mention that we let DD paint her room a few years ago. Let her pick the colors and everything. This is what she chose:
Classic Captions for b'day by Stampin Wrose - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
And she took off the closet doors and hung a black curtain there. It actually looked and still looks great! She has more natural talent for color than I ever did.

Abby: So, what about you, Gibbs? You got any fetishes?
Gibbs: I have three ex-wives. I don't have time for fetishes.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #51

Isn't there tile now that you can put a soft floor under or am I crazy? Or maybe it's stuff that looks like tile? I love the idea of tile but I want something that will last and be easy to clean. And not be hard on the back and legs. I'm old. Right Rainsong?

Anything but linoleum.

Last edited by Stampin Wrose; 02-15-2013 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: Clarify
Old 02-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsong View Post
Your microwave is Gibb's slapping you upside the head and you aren't sure whether you need a new one or not? (Oh, wait. Not sure you're an NCIS fan...)

Yes, dear. Buy a new microwave. Much less expensive than the emergency room.

Rainsong
*snort*

Old 02-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
Don't watch NCIS (just haven't caught up with it) but I do know who Gibbs is. I have a friend who is called Gibbs at his work. LOL.
*faints*

Not really. Of course you know who Gibbs is, you see him all the time!
<-----

Old 02-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
I love this thread!

Was thinking about something the other day. Even though my house is decorated in blues/whites/cottage feel. I love going to other people's homes and seeing how they decorate. Our neighbors have the same floor plan we do. Every room in their house is done in rich colors: golds/reds/deep orange with a very Old American style. It looks fabulous! Other friends have much more contemporary feels to their homes. I enjoy it all. I just prefer living with the softer colors. It really does help my mood. Our basement had been finished in a rather light paneling. However, I felt overwhelmed by the gloom. We recently painted the paneling an oatmeal color. It looks amazing! What a huge difference. The look of the painted paneling gives the walls interest and I am so happy I finally convinced hubby to do it. Actually, we have added rooms to the basement so there are actually only two walls that are painted paneling. But it looks so nice! We haven't replaced the horrible carpet down there, but even that looks better with the new paint!

How many of you have ever seen a black/white/red kitchen? I know of two people who have BRIGHT RED APPLIANCES in their kitchens. The one family recently tried to sell their home. I have a feeling that is one of the reasons it didn't sell. The kitchen is actually decorated in a Coca Cola theme. It doesn't look bad, just very bright. And certainly very personal.
I've resolved to avoid much red in the kitchen. I found out why restaurants frequently have so much red in their decor. Psychological studies show that red stimulates the appetite! And I don't need that! lol

But I do think red appliances could be stunning. I wouldn't get them, too strong for me, but I bet in the right kitchen, they'd be gorgeous.

And DH would NEVER let any room be red and black - his college rival's colors. ha ha ha

Old 02-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #55
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
I've resolved to avoid much red in the kitchen. I found out why restaurants frequently have so much red in their decor. Psychological studies show that red stimulates the appetite! And I don't need that! lol

But I do think red appliances could be stunning. I wouldn't get them, too strong for me, but I bet in the right kitchen, they'd be gorgeous.

And DH would NEVER let any room be red and black - his college rival's colors. ha ha ha
No DAWGS?!

I saw plenty of kitchens in England that were white and red and very 1980's - Definitely put me off having red as any kind of "permanent" color.

Yes, I think Red is small appliances it actually quite fun and pretty. I have been choosing silvers and greys (durability in color) but red has been my favorite color since I was young. It was hard growing up in Big Blue Nation and loving red. Thankfully my football (soccer), baseball teams play in red. American football is orange (another favorite) and black.

I need to find some neutral tile like Rocker Chicks now.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:52 AM   #56
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Isn't there tile now that you can put a soft floor under or am I crazy? Or maybe it's stuff that looks like tile? I love the idea of tile but I want something that will last and be easy to clean. And not be hard on the back and legs. I'm old. Right Rainsong?

Anything but linoleum.
I know there are some hardwearing laminate "tiles" on the market that the DIY shows often put in kitchens. I think it could be a good compromise in order to get that softness.

In England I had a partially quarry tiled floor in my kitchen. We covered it in cushioned vinyl because it would have been extensive to sort it out. The cushioned vinyl was a world of difference in standing there cooking. Ideally I would have liked slate in that area through to the front hallway as they were high traffic areas.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:55 AM   #57
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
*faints*

Not really. Of course you know who Gibbs is, you see him all the time!
<-----
And if my friend is enough like Gibbs that they call him that at work...

Let me know the next time the marathon is on and I will record it. So we can have a watch. I have seen the odd episodes.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #58
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Quote:

Let me know the next time the marathon is on and I will record it. So we can have a watch. I have seen the odd episodes.
All the episodes are "odd."

Rainsong
Old 02-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #59

Quote:
No DAWGS?!

I saw plenty of kitchens in England that were white and red and very 1980's - Definitely put me off having red as any kind of "permanent" color.

Yes, I think Red is small appliances it actually quite fun and pretty. I have been choosing silvers and greys (durability in color) but red has been my favorite color since I was young. It was hard growing up in Big Blue Nation and loving red. Thankfully my football (soccer), baseball teams play in red. American football is orange (another favorite) and black.

Dawgs? Sting em!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #60

Quote:

Tomorrow, USA, 7 a.m. til 8 p.m.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #61
Mad Swapper

Quote:

This is the tile that we have in our kitchen and the grout is chamois. We purchased the tile at lowes and it was relatively inexpensive and easy to work with.

Last edited by RockerChick; 02-17-2013 at 12:02 PM..
Old 02-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #62
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh thanks. We have a Lowes. I will have to have a look once I get the 101 other projects done - Just got asked Friday to plan a surprise party in 3 weeks. YOWZER.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #63
Hardware Hotshot

I can spend hours in Lowes!

I find trying to think of what to do to my kitchen daunting. It is so poorly laid out and I just don't know how much we can do without having to gut the room. It has 3 doorways to work around, The stove is across the room from where the vent fan is. I'm not sure where the sink was originally.

Oh, and I really want new countertops but it makes no sense to buy them without redoing the cabinets and that's when it becomes daunting.

The floor is some horrible green marble peel and stick tile. Maybe next year.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
― Spider Robinson
Old 03-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #64
Mad Swapper

Send a message via Yahoo to AZShann

For crafts, any color but I find purples and blues very tricky for me to use. For clothing, I wear pinks, red, black, white, navy, grey, sometimes I wear a Johnny Cash outfit where I wear black on top and bottom. I do have a pair of dark orange ankle pants (Liz Claiborne for $4) that I wear in the spring/summer. I'm boring for the most part but it works for me. For my house...a whole different story. All neutral with a splash of red or burgandy in most rooms. I am not good at decorating. But lucky for me, I have very little actual wall space where I can hang stuff on the walls, and my furniture is large so it works for me.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #65
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceramicat1 View Post
I can spend hours in Lowes!

I find trying to think of what to do to my kitchen daunting. It is so poorly laid out and I just don't know how much we can do without having to gut the room. It has 3 doorways to work around, The stove is across the room from where the vent fan is. I'm not sure where the sink was originally.

Oh, and I really want new countertops but it makes no sense to buy them without redoing the cabinets and that's when it becomes daunting.

The floor is some horrible green marble peel and stick tile. Maybe next year.
Repeat after me: Paint is my friend.

Paint hides a multitude of sins and changes the entire look of a room. Painted cabinetry is easy to clean, too.

Rainsong