Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Rubber Obsessor

Default ISO Colorado Springs information

We are hoping to visit Colorado Springs this summer in late August and haven't been there is almost 19 years. We have three children ages 10 to 18 and so we want to see a variety of things. My oldest pointed out that the fire last year may have closed down some of the things that we want to see such as Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, Seven Falls, Cheyenne Mountain State Park, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, Manitou Springs, etc. Has the area rebuilt since the devastating fires or should we hold off another year? Any suggestions as to good restaurants and other things to visit would be appreciated. Thank you.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Kookie Creator

I remember going to Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods and Seven Falls many, many, MANY years ago, and they were all fabulous. Hope you get to go!
Old 05-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Polyshrink Goddess

I was just there a week ago and a friend just came back last night. Pikes Peak is open--I drove up to the top and back. My friend went to Garden of the Gods and said her family really enjoyed it. I also visited the US Air Force Academy and highly recommend adding it to your itinerary if you have the time. We briefly visited the Olympic Training Center, but rushed through because I really wanted to drive up the mountain and needed to get there by 3pm to do it. If you have time, you may want to catch a tour.

There is a cute looking downtown main street area nearby on Colorado Avenue. Unfortunately by the time we arrived (around 5:30-6pm), many of the shops appeared to be closed. We ate at a place called Mountain Shadows Restaurant. We were the only people in there, but the waitress was very friendly, and the owner makes all of the desserts from scratch. We had the Kahlua Chocolate cake and it was fantastic! Good diner food overall--anything from breakfast foods to the chili relleno that I had. All was yummy.

When planning my vacations, my favorite resource is Trip Advisor. You can read through people's reviews on attractions in almost any city you can think of. Many reviews are very recent.

Good luck planning and have fun on your trip!
Old 06-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
Rubber Obsessor

Colorado Springs is doing great! All the areas are open from last year's fire. The area Jodi is referring to is called Old Colorado City and is on Colorado Avenue. There are a bunch of fun shops and great restaurants: Jake and Telly's Greek, Gertrudes, a Spanish Tapas place, a pizza place called Rustica. If you keep going west on Colorado Avenue you'll drive into Manitou Springs. It's another beautiful little town with shops and restaurants. There is a crepe restaurant that is awesome. All of this is around Garden of the Gods and the entrance to drive up Pikes Peak which is 14,110 ft. There is also another park off of 24W (Cimarron) called Red Rock Canyon that has some great hiking trails. Cheyenne Mountain Zoo has added a rocky mountain section with some great features. Also,I love the giraffe exhibit. There is Seven Falls which you do have to pay for. It's beautiful area that has these crazy steps that lead up to the top of the falls. Near there is Helen Hunt Falls which is a free park that has a great hiking trail that winds around the falls. I would definitely take your trip this year to COS. I'll be heading that way in two weeks for the rest of the summer and I am counting the days until we get there!
Old 06-16-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
Cardstock Collector

The recent fires have hit an area north of the Springs but to the best of my knowledge, all the usual Colorado Springs attractions are open.

Royal gorge has also had a recent fire, and while the bridge itself is ok, the tram and nearby amusement park were damage and or destroyed.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:06 AM   #6
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful information everyone. Still hoping to visit this beautiful part of the country.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
Rubber Obsessor

Hi, all of the attractions that we discussed above are definitely open. The area affected by these dang fires was in the northeast Colorado Springs area. Most of the attractions are on the west side. I'm here now, and it is just as beautiful with great dry weather and no mosquitoes. The only downside is that on occasion when the winds are blowing north, we are getting the smoke settling in from a big fire that is going on way South of Colorado Springs. However, it seems to happen in the evening and is clear during the day when you would be out and about.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
Rubber Obsessor

As for the Royal Gorge area, the park and visitor center surrounding the bridge was heavily damage/destroyed. Right now, that area is not open including the bridge. But, the train that runs through the gorge is fully operational and is quite fun to go on especially if you go in the glassed ceiling cars. You catch the train in Canon City.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #9
Stampin' Fool

Send a message via Yahoo to Alcojo94

Statement from the Royal Gorge:
Presently, the park is in demolition and clean up and company officials hope to open the park with a “bridge only” ticket by mid-to-late August. Alpine Cable and Construction company out of Grand Junction is in charge of the demolition and clean-up.