Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By Schweeda
  • 1 Post By duranfan
  • 1 Post By sillyfilly
  • 1 Post By nickelini
  • 1 Post By Erin in Okc
  • 1 Post By SophieLaFontaine
  • 1 Post By MadgeRPh
  • 1 Post By Kate Stamps
  • 1 Post By maryrose
  • 1 Post By buggainok
  • 1 Post By Laurie FW
  • 1 Post By Rainsong
  • 1 Post By jeanstamping2
  • 1 Post By RiverIsis
  • 2 Post By Erin in Okc
  • 1 Post By muddy otter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
Hardware Hotshot

Default I'm getting divorced!

It's been forever since I've been here, but you guys were such a big part of my life for so long, I wanted to tell you all. My husband and I decided about 6 weeks ago to divorce. He likes to think it was all my idea, but we've been talking about it on and off for a couple of years. Had counseling, etc. But, I'm the one to finally say, "I'm done."

I've been sleeping on the sofa for six weeks and my apartment will be ready on May 18th. My daughter will be coming with me, and my son will stay at the house with Chris. Nobody is terribly sad anymore. We've kind of worked through it, and the kids see that I'm doing fine, and feel like all will be well. Which I believe it will be.

I've been trying to find a part time job, which has been frustrating. :/ Six weeks of submitting applications and either hearing nothing or getting rejections. The thing is, I work weeknights. Because of that, I don't see my kids much on weekdays. I want a little time with them before and after school, and I want weekends off to spend with them. My daughter just turned twelve, and she REALLY needs me right now. So...even if I have be super frugal for awhile and dip into savings a little each month, that's what I will do to have that time with them. I do hope I get a second job before my savings is whittled away, though.

I'm very happy. I went to a writer's meeting today, and one of the ladies said I'm the happiest she's ever seen me. She caught me again at my car and told me again. Chris (the soon to be ex) had a hard time the first couple of weeks, but even he seems happier. My daughter told me yesterday, "I'm not sad about the divorce anymore. I think we'll be fine." <3 (I think mostly she's just excited to be getting a break from her big brother!) She's going to be spending weeknights at her dad's, and I'll pick her up on my way home from work. I get off around 9:00, so it's not too late, and I'm glad she will be there.

That said, I have a TON of crafting stuff I'm selling! I'll be posting it on the board here, but I'm open to any suggestions of where else to sell a bunch of stuff. Just a heads up, if you're looking for anything cheap.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Pearl-ExPert

Good luck to you Erin. I know divorce is very tough for everyone and it seems you are handling it great!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Erin in Okc likes this post.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
Crimping Master

All the best to you and your children. Hope you find that job soon!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Proud Fan Club Member

Erin I am so sorry that you and your family have had to go through all of this. It's like a death. I hope you do well and that things turn out for all of you. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
Mad Swapper

Erin - I was wondering how you were doing, so thanks for letting us all know. I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible for you. It sounds like you are in a better place now, so good for you.

View My Gallery
Old 05-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you all! I'm told bits of difficulty will hit me at different times. Somebody else mentioned it was like a death, too. I know I'm not going to have any regrets about ending it, but even as happy as I am, I know there will be moments where I will grieve.

That said...I will be fine. Thank you all for your kind thoughts and words!
nickelini likes this post.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

Erin, I'm so sorry about the marriage and that things didn't work out. But I am so happy for you. I too got a divorce recently (1 or 2 years ago?? Maybe 1.5) and was more... embarrassed about it than anything. I hope things will remain friendly and amicable for your family - that makes the long process of divorce much easier... I too have no regrets ending the marriage. My regret is that I got married in the first place.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

Best of luck to you Erin and I hope everything works out for you and your family.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
Kookie Creator

Congratulations Erin. I was married in 1960 and finally decided to end it in 1975. I had two children and decided that I finally could not live my life the way we were doing it. Yes, I had some difficult times but for the most part my life has been so much richer for being away from him. I did remarry, had another little girl, that husband died in an accident, I was a widow for a few years and then married the love of my liife. We've been married for almost 32 years and my life has been good with him. I hardly remember the years so long ago when to just get through each day with my first husband was such a struggle. I wish you the very best in life.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:46 AM   #10
Glitter Guru

I'm so sorry, Erin! You shared a lot of your struggles with us here on the forums, and it was apparent that the two of you were heading down divergent paths. I'm praying that you all find healing in this process. Glad to hear that you're still writing and taking the time to express yourself creatively. I won't wish you luck because that seems so arbitrary. I'm wishing you many blessings instead!
Old 05-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
Watercolor Wizard

Hi Erin,

It's your Oklahoma City stamping friend. I remember we had a huge conversation a few years ago about the clear stamps at Michaels.

I had wondered about you over the past year. I knew you and your husband were having problems that couldn't seem to be resolved, and I know you tried your best.

Like everyone says who has been through it, change is difficult, even if you know it's for the best. Every day in your "new normal" will have its ups and downs for a while, but time does help.

I'm like Katestamps, and after a really troublesome first marriage, got it right the next time. I've been married for 48 years now to a wonderful man who loves and appreciates me for who I am.

I wish you and your children the best as you begin this new time in your life.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 05-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
Gallery Gazer

{{{{{{{ERIN}}}}}}}} Many hugs to you, Erin as you go through this tough transition time in your life.

I am glad you will finally be able to write those great novels you have inside you and don't forget to let us know so I can buy one of the first copies!
Old 05-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Hugs, Erin.

Oh, and I'd love to read whatever you have written.

Rainsong
Old 05-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #14
Stazon Splitcoast

*HUGS*
Old 06-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #15
Proud Fan Club Member

{{{{HUGS}}}} to you Erin. I know you've been unhappy for awhile. Praying that God will help you though these tough times.

Life will get better. Take care my friend!
Old 07-01-2013, 05:42 AM   #16
Stazon Splitcoast

Erin I just saw this and I hope you are still able to have time and resources to read SCS. Thinking about you and hoping everything is going well.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #17
Hardware Hotshot

I just got a notification from this thread and can't believe I missed so many comments! You guys are so awesome.
Things are going well. I survived the summer, although I spent WAY more of my savings than I would have wanted. But, I will soon be starting a second job in the school cafeteria. Perfect!
I haven't written much lately. Too much stress trying to find a job and getting settled. My creative mojo is coming back, though. I've even bought some new cardstock and am scrapbooking for the first time in...I don't remember when...on Thursday.
I'm also trying to scroll the boards and catch up on what's going on with everybody else.
Brenda71 and RiverIsis like this post.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #18
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Erin, I just saw this. (((HUGS))) and very warmest wishes to you. I'm glad to hear you sounding ok about it. You and your family will be in my prayers and in my heart, and ALL the best on the road ahead.

It had its moments but two years down the road, I appreciate that quiet contentment far more than I ever knew i would.