Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 06:33 AM   #1
Kookie Creator

Exclamation I want the truth

This is important to me.

In the past I have donated my near waist length hair 3 times and my daughter has 2 times.

Why? My 15 and 3/4 year old brother die of cancer in 1986. Some very nice person gave their hair so kids could have wigs. I have donated to help others. Oct, cancer month, has come and gone and I want to donate ALL MY HAIR again. I was told by a new beauty shop, that opened this past summer, that they were one of the few beauty shops that donated all the hair and not just some. I know that the second time I donated my hair, the woman dropped my hair on the floor. I asked her what she was doing since I was here to donate my waist lenght hair? She did pick up my hair and continued to add the rest of my hair to the pile. She told me it was being donated, not to worry.

I want to know if I waist my time growing my hair so long just to have the beauty shops donate the lenght they want. I have 18" from the neck down of hair to give. No chem in of any kind. Yes it is mostly gray now.

Am I waisting my time?

Betty
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #2
Stampin' Fool

Wink

Hey Betty,

I can't give you a answer, but in the area I live a lady wrote into the local newspaper quite disgusted that she wanted to donate her hair, and had a hard time finding a hair salon that would go through the donating process.
Years ago, if you did grow your hair out to the required length, the salons would cut and style for free if the customer donated. I guess that has fallen by the wayside with the economy. I hope you get the info you want.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for things.

My Blog: http://worldsoldesthomeroommother.blogspot.com/
Old 11-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
Polyshrink Goddess

I have donated mine to Locks of Love through my local Great Clips twice now. If you are concerned that your salon is not actually donating the hair, Locks of Love has their mailing address and instructions on their website. You can mail it directly to them yourself.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Just wanted to let you know I moved your thread to our chat forum.

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 11-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
Splitcoast Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecraftysister View Post
I have donated mine to Locks of Love through my local Great Clips twice now. If you are concerned that your salon is not actually donating the hair, Locks of Love has their mailing address and instructions on their website. You can mail it directly to them yourself.
I'd recommend Locks of Love, too. That's where I have sent the hair of both of my daughters. And, just to make sure that they can use everything you send - I'd contain your clean hair with multiple pony tail holders, spaced every few inches, over the whole length that you plan to cut BEFORE someone actually cuts it. This will let you coil it up in an orderly fashion and slip it into a zip lock bag.

Total side note: My mother-in-law died when my oldest was 4, and my daughter has extremely limited memories of time spent with her Mimi. The memory that she cherishes is Mimi joking with her and telling her that they would go and do something as soon as she 'slapped her hair on!' My daughter donated for the first time when she was 6, I think...Always makes me cry.

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Old 11-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Kookie Creator

Default thanks

The places I go to mail the hair to New York where it is made into wigs for kids in the U S. I just feel if the shop only sends in 10" of the 18 to 25" I think I am donating, I could do it more often. I feel that a young girl just might like the 18 to 25" I gave in the past. It bothers me to know that some of my hair is waisted. I still have strangers come up to me to tell me how beautiful my long hair is and it is mainly gray.

Thanks

Betty
Old 11-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
Crimping Master

My daughter donated to Locks of Love a few years ago. The salon cut it and gave us the info. We had to send it ourselves. Kudos to you, and I'm sorry about your brother.