Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
Crimping Master

Default I can't be the only one....

that needs a bit of help staying focused on some personal goals? Please tell me I am not alone.

It has been a llloooonnnggg while since I have posted on scs. Honestly, it has been a long time since I have even bothered to stamp. I have been diverted but a few other creative interests, you know, chasing other shiny objects. LOL

Anyways, during my hiatus I have started slipping into a funk. I have been letting myself go, starting too many projects and my house is getting out of control with the clutter, not to mention that I have put on a few pounds. I know the reasons for this happening in my life and while my situation may be different from yours, I know that there are others out there that feel the same way and want to get back on track.

I think I can best accomplish this with some accountability buddies. What do you think? Does anyone want to work towards some small, personal goals with me and do what we can to keep each other on track? It doesn't really matter what the goals are, just that we make them public and encourage each other to work on them.

I will start.

I want to finish up my stamping projects that are sitting on the floor at the foot of my desk for the last week waiting to be completed.

I also need to finish up some sewing projects but there are so many that I can't even wrap my brain around them. I will pick a project after I complete my first goal.

So whose with me and what is your first goal?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Rubber Obsessor

I'm in!! I need a friend to help motivate me My first goal is to finish my daughters Kaisercraft tic tac toe board for Christmas!!

How are you coming along with your goals?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Crimping Master

Oh I am so glad you joined me!! I managed to make 4 cards yesterday and partially cleaned up the mess.

Fridays are always a bit stressful as my stressful son doesn't have school and has a counseling appointment that tends to cause a lot of anxiety. He has Asperger's Syndrome and it is par for the course. But I did manage to get to the grocery store and am planning on hand quilting at least one block on a HUGE king size quilt that I have been hand quilting since said son was in utero, which was 17 years ago. Yes, I hang my head in shame. Hubby loves this quilt and I am trying to finish it up in the next year or so.

How long is your tic tack toe board going to take to make? Do you have a link to a tutorial or one similar to share?

My goal for tomorrow is to finish up some paperwork for the Boy Scout troop. I am in charge of the popcorn sale that is basically over and need to finalize some stuff. Then in the evening I am hoping to stamp several cards which will all be identical.

Ok, my goals are in writing so I have to be held accountable for them, right?
Old 11-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
Rubber Obsessor

Yes you are held accountable for them now! My tic tac toe board should be done tonight, that is my goal. And I need to start designing the vinyl wall decals for my nieces.

Here is a link to the tic tac toe board: Kaisercraft Beyond The Page MDF Tic Tac Toe at HSN.com

I would also like to get some ideas on how I want my christmas cards to look and have my kiddos help with those soon. I have a 10 year old daughter and a 3 year old son.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Crimping Master

I look forward to seeing what you choose for your card. How many do you need to make? I gave up on making or sending Christmas cards several years ago, though I really enjoy getting them and I used to enjoy sending them. Something had to give and sadly, the cards are what gave.

I am trying to make some cards for my youngest son to sell to help raise money for a huge Boy Scout trip he is going on. It is $1500 and I expect him to take advantage of every fundraising opportunity we come across for the troop. I was thinking of making some Valentine and Mother's Day cards to sell to the adults in the troop. We have about 80 families in our troop so that is a lot of potential customers, not to mention that the boys themselves are old enough to start buying these cards since they are all over the age of 12. I am going to try to keep the cards pretty basic and I was thinking of selling them for $3 each or 4 for $10. I may need to drop it down to $2 and 6 for $10 though. I will cross that bridge when and if I get there. LOL
Old 11-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
Rubber Obsessor

I want a cute and simple card, preferably with penguins. I love penguins! I wish i had a way to make my silhouette software portable so i can design on the go. I can't wait to see your cards either!
Old 12-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #7
Crimping Master

Ok, I am up, I have had two cups of coffee, everyone has left the house and I really want to just sit here and look at scs and pinterest all day BUT I won't! I said I was going to finish up paperwork today so that is what I will do.

Thanks for the boost and the accountability! I will be back later with paper work behind me.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:47 AM   #8
Rubber Obsessor

Ok, my first "failure" post, lol... i knew it wouldnt take long! I got zero done last night! The boyfriend wanted me to lay on the couch and watch TV to which i couldn't say no! So my yesterday goals are now my today goals...
Old 12-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #9
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi_Ray View Post
Ok, my first "failure" post, lol... i knew it wouldnt take long! I got zero done last night! The boyfriend wanted me to lay on the couch and watch TV to which i couldn't say no! So my yesterday goals are now my today goals...
This is not a failure. This is called "life priorities."

Building relationships is far more important than building/making "things."

Keep going.

Rainsong
Old 12-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsong View Post
This is not a failure. This is called "life priorities."

Building relationships is far more important than building/making "things."

Keep going.

Rainsong
Thank you for that! Thats a good way of putting it!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
Rubber Obsessor

I am almost done with her tic tac toe board! Stopped for a little bit to watch a movie with the boyfriend again, but now he's playing xbox so i think i'm going to sit at my desk and get some more done! I'll post back later with updates!

Last edited by Cyndi_Ray; 12-01-2012 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-02-2012, 06:07 AM   #12
Crimping Master

Movie breaks are acceptable.

I also got a bit sidetracked by unforeseen obstacles yesterday. My financial paperwork was not adding up and I stressed over it for hours and hours yesterday looking for my mistakes. sigh..... However, at least it wasn't due to my procrastination and laziness which is what I am trying to get a grip on.

Today I need to work on a handmade item for a gift exchange for my quilt guild. I am hoping to make a pincushion. Our son has a very long stressful appointment today so I am hoping to make it this evening. My fingers are crossed!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #13
Rubber Obsessor

Yes, unforseen important obstacles and relationship building is acceptable! Like right now i am actually awake earlier than normal but i'm laying on the couch cuddling. He's still asleep but it feels nice laying here.

Good luck with your son's appointment
Old 12-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
Rubber Obsessor

Well, I did it!! First project uploaded to the gallery

Now designing the wall decals for my nieces rooms.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #15
Crimping Master

Wahoo!!! I have most of my pincushion done. I am have to finish it on Tuesday. Tomorrow is out because I have appointments all morning and then in the afternoon I have to homeschool my youngest and get some housework done. Then Boy Scouts right after dinner.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #16
Rubber Obsessor

Today was busy with work and kids, most that I got done was some vinyl designing on my silhouette studio.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #17
Rubber Obsessor

Hey, just checking in! How has it all been going? I am getting ready to do the practice run on my second project, let you know how it goes in a minute! I'm real excited about it though!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #18
Crimping Master

Yesterday and today was stressful but I managed to get my pincushion made for my gift exchange tomorrow. Tomorrow is going to be crazy busy as well but I am hoping to get some to-do items crossed off my list. I have the holiday party for my quilt guild in the morning, then I am hoping to return some items at Target then go shopping at Bass Pro Shop. Not only am I crossing stuff off my personal list of items but I am getting some stuff done for my volunteer work at the same time. Hopefully, after I get some of the stuff done I can start working on fun stuff again. I think I have been procrastinating far too much and getting stuff done is really helping me to feel un-bogged down. I hope that makes sense.

I can't wait to see what you are working on next! Please share!!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #19
Rubber Obsessor

I'm getting ready to add my project to my gallery. Its a tshirt I made. It's my first practice one. I LOVE It!!!!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #20
Crimping Master

I am a total slacker! I haven't been on SCS since Tuesday night. I also haven't done much crafting since then either. I swear I am trying to cut back and minimize the to-do list but I am not making any progress. I haven't been adding things on the list, at least not the things I can control. I wish I had a magic wand.

Cyndi, how are you doing?
Old 12-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #21
Rubber Obsessor

I have been crafting like crazy!! If I am not physically cutting and gluing, I am designing in Silhouette Studio. My boyfriend is getting soooo aggravated!! And in turn he is aggravating the p*** out of me!! Lol! I want to got glue his mouth shut! Which kills me cause he is always on xbox and my craft area is in a little nook area that connects to my living room so it's not like I am isolating myself! Oh well, he'll get over it. Hate to say it but times like this make me miss my ex!!

My daughter and I are working on christmas cards right now. I organized my scrap area, which reminds me, I need to go add it to the share your craft space thread. I have the cutest penguin Quikutz die so I am going to search for cute christmas cards using penguins. Penguins are my favorite. I even have a penguin tattoo on my wrist. Anyway, hope to see you on more often. I have to say, I missed having someone to share my progress with the last couple days. I understand how life can get but maybe if we continue being each other's cheerleader, it'll get better!
Old 12-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #22
Crimping Master

Penguins are so cute! I am glad you are making some progress. Maybe your excitement will rub off on me. I know most of my issues are that I am emotionally drained and it is making me unproductive and I know that by crossing things off my list will help me a bit but I just haven't found the right kick in the a** that I need.

I am about to finish up some fabric xmas ornaments for my daughter. It is my oldest son's birthday and we are all meeting for dinner tonight. She and her roommates have their first tree (she is 20 and off to college about an hour away) and only have a few ornaments. So I have started three of them for her. I need to finish them so I can give them to her at dinner.

I am looking forward to seeing your uploads if you post them.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #23
Rubber Obsessor

Being emotionally drained sucks!!! For the past 2 years I have been dealing with divorce, a new boyfriend, being a single mom with no child support,and dealing with my own mother who is a manipulative drug addict, lol!! I understand emotional problems very well!! The past couple weeks though, since I got back into this, things have been amazing, despite the minor annoyances (see above, lol)!! I'm sure once you get it back things will be great for you too!!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #24
Crimping Master

I really think that getting back into making things will make me feel better. Thanks for understanding that. It is so hard to explain to someone that isn't dealing with it, ya know?

I finished the ornaments and now I want to make a xmas stocking for my oldest son's girlfriend. She doesn't like xmas much and has never had any family traditions and is always commenting on ours. I think she will be touched that she will have a stocking at our house.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #25
Rubber Obsessor

Yes, I understand completely!! Everyone makes jokes that scrapbooking is cheaper than therapy, but I think a lot of people take for granted how therapeutic it really is. My plan in life is to hopefully get my M.Ed. in Art Therapy and work with troubled kids and teens. For some it's a LOT more therapeutic than others (I think you and I fall into that category) but it has calming qualities for everyone if they choose to take advantage of it. I knew immediately when I couldn't pull myself out of my slump I was in that this is what I needed, then it took me forever to get the inspiration and motivation back. But it's here and I'm embracing it before I lose it again!!

You should post pics of what you've done so far!! I'd love to see it. And yes, the girlfriend will be extremely touched!!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #26
Rubber Obsessor

So I made a couple of soda tab bracelets for my daughter for Christmas!! They turned out so good! I am getting ready to post pics of them.

How are you doing?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #27
Stampin' Fool

Hi, I am Jill. Can I PLEASE join you two in this endeavor? I feel like I am so behind in all the things mentioned in the OP that all I do is get further and further behind each day. Then to ease the stress I grab a handful of healthy (NOT) foods! So, I also have gained a pound or 50. I tried to get hubby to help me be accountable but he doesn't do it right. He goes down the list and makes it sound like any moron could get it done. Just start with one thing. All that does is depresses me.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #28
Stampin' Fool

Hi, I am Jill. Can I PLEASE join you two in this endeavor? I feel like I am so behind in all the things mentioned in the OP that all I do is get further and further behind each day. Then to ease the stress I grab a handful of healthy (NOT) foods! So, I also have gained a pound or 50. I tried to get hubby to help me be accountable but he doesn't do it right. He goes down the list and makes it sound like any moron could get it done. Just start with one thing. All that does is depresses me.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #29
Crimping Master

Sure Jill! Welcome aboard!

I am finally starting to get the tree decorated. We have had it up for about a week so I am really dragging behind. UGH!!

However, Cyndi is an inspiration as she is just crossing things off her list left and right. Gee, I want to be like Cyndi when I grow up!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #30
Crimping Master

Oh and I am just now taking down the few Thanksgiving decorations that I had up. It is so, so sad. LOL
Old 12-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #31
Stampin' Fool

Thank you. So, I have a list longer then both my arms put together. Today is the first day I have even started shopping. I have been sick with flu/cold (worst timing possible!) for the last 2 weeks so that made things even worse. I have decided that I am going to do most of my shopping online this year. I have 6 kids (3 are married with families) so there are a lot of people to buy for. I started a Christmas letter to mail out with my cards but it's still in it's baby stage. Hubby 'bought' cards for me last night. (I wanted to make them again but ran out of time. Plus he really doesn't have the feel for what looks good in cards-so they are kind of.....well, not what I would like. But I thanked him because pretty or not, he was thoughtful to go buy them.) After reading your thread here this morning it already started my 'work' juices flowing. I have been busy since I posted doing shopping. If I could get that mostly done today I would feel a lot better. Thanks for a place to refresh and get encouragement.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #32
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutpup View Post
Sure Jill! Welcome aboard!

I am finally starting to get the tree decorated. We have had it up for about a week so I am really dragging behind. UGH!!

However, Cyndi is an inspiration as she is just crossing things off her list left and right. Gee, I want to be like Cyndi when I grow up!
I really am tapping into my motivation lately!! I only wish it could have been like this for the last 2 years!

Hi Jill!! Nice to meet you!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #33
Crimping Master

I wish I had the motivation. I think I have determined that my medicine is causing some of my lack of motivation. I am on a migraine preventative med that just makes me feel lazy and makes me want to eat. I go back to the dr. early in January so I think I am going to ask if there is something else I can take. I am only suppose to be on the meds for one year and it has been about three months so worst case I just need to get thru 9 more months. hahahaha

I did clean my sewing room and a bit of my office. That will help. I also bought fabric for Christmas stockings. Now I just need it to stop raining so I can get my fabric out of the car and see if I can get sewing.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #34
Rubber Obsessor

I have been on every migraine med I can think of. Preventatives usually don't work for me. And everything makes me sleepy so it sucks! So good luck at your doctors appt. My crafting has slowed down, all of a sudden I can't seem to stay awake, all I want to do is eat and sleep, and you know what that could mean right? Lol, I'm not sure yet whether or not I want to hope for it or be excited! We'll see I guess!!
Old 12-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #35
Crimping Master

I was on Topomax for a month and had really bad side effects from it. I could barely eat anything, it made me depressed and I couldn't think at all, as it I had a hard time remembering how to get home once and I was on the lowest dose of it. Now I am on Remeron which is an antidepressant. I am taking half of the smallest dose pill they make and I still feel lazy all day. When I took a whole dose, I could have sat and looked at a blank wall all day. Last night I took 1/4 of a pill (half of my normal dose) and had a headache this morning. At least it works so I will focus on that for now. It is better than taking the migraine pills after the migraine occurs.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #36
Rubber Obsessor

I was on topomax for a while, it had no effect on me at all!! I'm now on celexa, also an antidepressant, so far it's not preventing much, hopefully it kicks in soon.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:34 AM   #37
Crimping Master

I am sorry I have been so quiet here. I haven't made much progression. My son has had a rough time lately and we have been busy with dealing with him. Plus we have decided that he is going to need to find a residential treatment facility to live in when he turns 18 and I need to learn all the ropes on how social security and disability stuff works. I also need to start researching how to get guardianship of him before he turns 18. It has been exhausting to research it all, especially during the holidays when I am already feeling busy and stressed.

On a good note, I did get one stocking cut out and is ready to sew. My son is home sick today so we'll see if I actually get to sew today or not. This could go either way, if he is truly sick then he will sleep all day. If he isn't really sick and just thought he was then he will be bouncing off the walls and I won't get much done. My fingers are crossed that I can be a little bit productive, at the least.