Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2006, 04:49 AM   #1
Pearl-ExPert

Default How do you know when you need a new roof?

Several of my neighbors are getting new roofs and I was wondering how do you know when you need your shingles replaced? I know I could have a roofer come out and give an opinion on the condition of our current roof and trust they aren't shady. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-27-2006, 06:10 AM   #2
Proud Fan Club Member

Hmm, I would have orig. said when it starts leaking, it's time for a new one. But is there someone that you trust that could climb up on the house and see what condition your roof is in? How about how old it is? Do you think that may have been what was influencing your neighbors. Maybe you could even ask some of them what made them want a new roof!

I'm pretty sure I shut my blog down til further notice! Perhaps forever!!
Old 04-27-2006, 06:19 AM   #3
Hardware Hotshot

my DH got on our roof and looked himself first and then we got a few estimates.... make sure you go with a reutable company one that is on with The Better Business Bureau and maybe Angies list if you have that where you are...
Good luck. We got hit with hail and we could see on the roof white hail marks, so that was a good indicator for us....
Old 04-27-2006, 06:21 AM   #4
Glitter Guru

Most shingles are rated 20 or 30 years. If yours are around that age you might need a new roof soon. You could have several roofers come and see if you get different answers?
Old 04-27-2006, 06:38 AM   #5
Pearl-ExPert

Our roof is about 16 years old and I do know most last for about 20 years. I think if it starts leaking - it's too late !! I've had a guy do a few repair jobs after the hurricane a couple years ago and do trust him.

Thanks for your comments and advice.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:42 AM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

Age, mostly. Our roof is there, too. We need a new roof as well as new siding. Hmmm, now that I think about it, need some new windows also. Anyway, I know the previous home owners did not take care of the roof so I know they did not help to extend the roof life. We extended it as much as we could with treatments and such, but we think it's pretty shot.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:26 PM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

You may see the shingles turn up at the corners, curl, looked chipped or faded. We knew when the water gushed through our bathroom ceiling fan. Not a good way to find out!
Old 04-27-2006, 02:27 PM   #8
Sassy Shani

When you have more buckets in your house than furniture!
Old 04-27-2006, 02:43 PM   #9
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues
Send a message via MSN to LeahsCreations

If there was a recent storm, then I would call your insurance and have them take a look. If it needs to be replaced, they will probably recommend a contractor/vendor and pay them directly. If you're just wondering because of age, then I would have several roofers out to give estimates.
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Old 04-27-2006, 02:43 PM   #10
Matboard Maniac

Our house was only 14 years old when it needed a new roof. It began leaking in one spot. Once we put out for quotes we found out from many different roofers that (1) we shouldn't re-shingle over it because it was not done properly to begin with - no paper or vapor barriers between shingles and plywood and (2) the years our house was built was a major year for defective shingles. I was under the impression you'd get at least 20 years out of a roof. Boy was I wrong when I did my research. Also many of the neighbors in the development had already done their roofs so I knew it was time.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:32 PM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

A lot of factors go into a roof. We had to replace ours after 8 years because of defective shingles and it was a 40 year. You won't actually get a full 40 years out of it though. We now have 50 year singles and the roofer told us to expect around 30 years or so. Cedar Shakes are a whole different story. Also ventilation will cause a roof to fail early. Things like eyebrow vents, core ridge and a thermostat run fan help to keep the life of your roof in tact.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:00 PM   #12
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan B
You may see the shingles turn up at the corners, curl, looked chipped or faded. We knew when the water gushed through our bathroom ceiling fan. Not a good way to find out!
Another sign is if you can see the tiny beads from the shingles sloughing off into the gutters. The beads are the color on your shingles.

If you've had a slow leak over years of time, it is also possible the underlayment may be rotted and need replacement, resulting in sag spots.

Rainsong
Old 04-27-2006, 05:06 PM   #13
Mad Swapper

I knew when we came back from a trip to Italy that we could just barely afford and discovered water damage in two different rooms . . . good thing my husband had made a separate account for such things. $10,000 later . . . and when we bought the house 5 years before we were warned, so it wasn't exactly a shock.

View My Gallery
Old 04-27-2006, 05:53 PM   #14
Pearl-ExPert

If you want a really objective opinion, hire a local house inspector to come and take a look at your roof. They're pretty good at estimating how much life a roof has left, and if it's time to replace it. The few hundred dollars spent could also give you tips on other areas of your house in need of attention, and can save you LOTS of money in avoided damage or unnecessary repairs down the road!
Old 04-27-2006, 11:05 PM   #15
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via Yahoo to AZShann

Where are you located? The rating on the shingles won't be true if you live in a place like AZ. Creosote shingles are hearty, but they won't last as long here. I would recommend having someone come look at them. I wouldn't replace them just to replace them by any means. If they are brittle, it's time.

That's one of my favorite jobs at Habitat for Humanity. If all goes well, I'll be on the roof this weekend. YAY.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:57 PM   #16
Matboard Maniac

my smart aleck answer is when you discover that the rat living in your garage has chewed thru the roof,(we will be doing ours this summer) but otherwise I would go with getting a home inspector to look at it for you-they would be your best unbiased opinion.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:53 PM   #17
Insane Embellisher

if it falls in, you waited too long
Old 04-29-2006, 06:05 PM   #18
Mad Swapper

When the weather outside is the same as inside?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Read through the OP and saw lots of proper answers and good advice.

Old 04-30-2006, 05:43 AM   #19
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddietsch
When the weather outside is the same as inside?
ROTFL!!! I shouldn't find this quite so funny, but it reminds me of a friend who bought a money-pit fixer-upper where this happened. My favorite part? It's in Ireland! Lots and lots and lots of rain...

The house is now restored and breathtaking, but I still giggle over the "early days" stories, like indoor rain showers, or the ghost stories all the neighbors insist are absolutely true (and the house is just quirky enough to make my friend and her husband go "Hmmmm..." occassionally), or their dearly departed cat that used to catch bats, bring them indoors, and release them to fly around an old, "haunted" house! Hee hee hee hee hee!!

When I visited two years ago, I managed to cause the most recent indoor rain shower with my filthy multi-day horseback trail riding laundry, but... uh... that's a another story.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:02 AM   #20
Mad Swapper

Um, like us...when you have to put towels on the kitchen floor during a heavy rainstorm!!

- krista
Old 04-30-2006, 11:08 AM   #21
Insane Embellisher

well for us this year it has been noticing every time the wind blew we would find a new shingle on the ground.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #22
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyP View Post
Our roof is about 16 years old and I do know most last for about 20 years. I think if it starts leaking - it's too late !! I've had a guy do a few repair jobs after the hurricane a couple years ago and do trust him.

Thanks for your comments and advice.
Yes age is one of the biggest factors as to when your roof will start to fail. However, as a roofing inspector in middle Tennessee we see a lot of hail and wind damage. Hail even on a new roof can cause issues. If you gently lift the shingle and if you see a crack the underside it could be time to replace to roof. The small cracks are left they could cause a leak. Also, if you have ever seen your shingles lifted in a wind storm then you will want to have them check out for wind damage.

the smallest crack in a shingle can cause a leak and could cause further damage to the interior as well as allow for mold to start growing.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #23
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffybaby View Post
my DH got on our roof and looked himself first and then we got a few estimates.... make sure you go with a reutable company one that is on with The Better Business Bureau and maybe Angies list if you have that where you are...
ITA, if you need to, get 2-3 estimates. DON'T let a company talk you into signing/paying anything right away either. A reputable company knows this is a big decision and won't pressure you into anything.