Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By stamptician
  • 2 Post By LindaBabe
  • 2 Post By lesliespringer
  • 1 Post By lesleybd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
Proud Fan Club Member

Default Hobby Lobby does not excite me, am I weird?

I live in Jacksonville, NC and we just recently got a Hobby Lobby. Went in there for the first time tonight and it was such a disappointment to me. Our Michaels has a better selection of paper crafting products and supplies. I was hoping to see some things that I've only been able to purchase online but that was not the case. And while they do have a larger selection of paper by the single sheet than Michaels, it's all that light weight cheap paper. They don't even have Bazzill for heavens sake. Why are people so crazy over this store?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
PikkuLilla likes this post.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:18 AM   #2
Insane Embellisher

I don't get it either - before our town got one whenever we were in a town where there was one we always went, but usually came out empty handed. The hymns playing in the background totally turned me off. There's one in my town now, and I've never been in it.
tigerlily55 and PikkuLilla like this post.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:03 AM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Well regarding the paper crafting supplies my Hobby Lobby has a heck of a ton more than my local Mike's. After my Mike's "renovation" there is a lot less in stamping, paper, and in general baking, children crafts and crafting supplies.

Hobby Lobby just isn't for paper crafting, did you walk around the store. They have a ton of children crafts, paint section, beading, glass-the crafting section goes on and on and on.

Did you walk around the home decorating area? It is huge- HUGE.

They always have home ware, home decorating of the current-up coming Holiday

During Christmas time it is a ONE stop shopping. They have everything- Trees, ornament for house decorating, tree decorating, outside decorations, home ware Christmas pottery and including Christmas Crafts.

I don't just shop Hobby Lobby for Paper-card making supplies, there in a ton more to the store than that.

Unless, your New Hobby Lobby is not fully stock yet. Is that the problem?

"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
tamijo and violetmissmel like this post.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliespringer View Post
Well regarding the paper crafting supplies my Hobby Lobby has a heck of a ton more than my local Mike's. After my Mike's "renovation" there is a lot less in stamping, paper, and in general baking, children crafts and crafting supplies.

Hobby Lobby just isn't for paper crafting, did you walk around the store. They have a ton of children crafts, paint section, beading, glass-the crafting section goes on and on and on.

Did you walk around the home decorating area? It is huge- HUGE.

They always have home ware, home decorating of the current-up coming Holiday

During Christmas time it is a ONE stop shopping. They have everything- Trees, ornament for house decorating, tree decorating, outside decorations, home ware Christmas pottery and including Christmas Crafts.

I don't just shop Hobby Lobby for Paper-card making supplies, there in a ton more to the store than that.

Unless, your New Hobby Lobby is not fully stock yet. Is that the problem?
Thanks for your opinion! My Hobby Lobby is fully stocked and it is a huge store. No one told me what to expect from a hobby lobby and I always assumed it would be more about actual hobbies not home decorating and so forth which is the only thing you can see for miles in our store. And it's also something I am not interested in. Paper-crafting is at the very back of the store and the biggest portion of their supplies is two huge long rows of stickers! Our Michael's got better after it's renovation. Maybe because they new hobby lobby was coming. Who knows?

At any rate, our hobby lobby is more like a pottery and we already have one of those in town.

So, it's good to know that its not just about paper-crafting although I think I figured that one out last night. I was just trying to figure out what the paper-crafter in me was supposed to find so exciting about this store and I'm glad that you love yours and it was an improvement from your Michael's. Each state and town is different.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:33 PM   #5
Rubber Obsessor

I like Hobby Lobby. I love their sales and coupon to use. I think they are getting quicker at getting the new tools that are out there. Compared to the Michael's we have, it is way way better. Our Joann's expanded and I like their sales, but the selection is more limited. I've been to a good Michael's - but it's on the other side of the state - 5 hours away. SO between those 3 places and one LSS, I've got it covered and feel pretty fortunate.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:17 AM   #6
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdscrapper View Post
I like Hobby Lobby. I love their sales and coupon to use. I think they are getting quicker at getting the new tools that are out there. Compared to the Michael's we have, it is way way better. Our Joann's expanded and I like their sales, but the selection is more limited. I've been to a good Michael's - but it's on the other side of the state - 5 hours away. SO between those 3 places and one LSS, I've got it covered and feel pretty fortunate.
Thanks for sharing! I'll have to keep in mind that part about them getting the new tools quicker. I think what really frustrated me is that, what they do carry they only carry bits and pieces of it. (And again, this is at the store in my location) For instance, they have about 6 colors of Tim Holtz distress ink They offer tons of different options for project lifer's as far as the cards but hardly anything to offer in the actual pocket pages and albums.

I think because they have tried to offer so much in the home decor dept they have little space to work with for actual crafting supplies. Maybe with time they will get the kinks worked out.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:36 AM   #7
Mad Swapper

I love our Hobby Lobby. But I have notice that each town's Hobby Lobby paper-crafting is different.

Every time I go to a new town/state, I always check out their Hobby Lobby if they have one. I always find something new in every one. I went to one last year in WI and it was awesome. In fact, I went back to it, three times before we came home.

In our area, Michael and Joanns are horrible.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:13 PM   #8
Forum Fanatic

I love Hobby Lobby, but the closest one is over an hour away. I have JoAnn's which is not the super store and they have mostly fabric (I sew, but not lately) and Michael's is horrible - they have lots of scrapbooks and large 12x12 paper pads (I don't scrapbook) very limited on stamps and other things. By looking at the store, you would not know that Valentine's is around the corner!

I WILL ONLY SHIP IN THE U.S.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:25 PM   #9
Proud Fan Club Member

The more I think about it, the more I believe that our Michaels put it into high gear when they found out hobby lobby was coming. Before they didn't carry Spellbinders dies or very much in the area of sizzix. I went in there tonight and found all these great new embossing folders already on clearance by a company called GooseBumpz. There were new Heidi Swapp stencils as well as some molding pastes in several colors. And tons of Valentine's goodies for making your own projects on sale at 50% off as well as some new Project Life kits if you're into that. So, I guess hobby lobby coming here made our Michaels get better so, I'm glad they came.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:35 PM   #10
Rubber Obsessor

I like to visit Hobby Lobby, Miachael's, Joann's and A C Moore when I am on holiday in Florida.

One thing that surprises me though is that they all seem to stock almost the same range of paper crafting stuff. You would almost think they were the same company (I know they're not).

You can't beat them for larger items if you can use a coupon. This year I got a Martha Stewart Score board for $9.99 (25 in the UK). I also bought a Fiskars trimmer for $15 (30 in the UK) but it is frustrating not to have a better variety.

My friend loves all the home decor items in Hobby Lobby so she'll drive me there as often as I want

Also discovered Tuesday Mornings this year. Will need to buy a bigger suitcase.

Lesley
PikkuLilla likes this post.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:18 PM   #11
Die Cut Diva

I always go to Mikes because it's smaller and the stamps and card making supplies are in the front of the store. It's so much more convenient. I hate hoofing it to the back of Hobby Lobby for one or two small things. I'd say my Mikes and HL are about the sane. Both have the coupons, which I love.

I only buy rhinestones, pearls, ATG adhesive, Tombo multi glue, and Studio G Stamps regularly. I buy a random thing here and there at times, but that's about it. Mikes is not getting rich on me! Hobby Lbby even less so.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 02-28-2015 at 05:23 PM..
Old 03-01-2015, 08:29 AM   #12
Gabfest Goddess

I prefer Joann's and Michaels. Hobby Lobby does have good clearance sales on seasonal items though, so sometimes I go in a day or two after a holiday to see if anything good is left!