Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
Die Cut Diva

Smile Help! Paint colors for walls with a medium oak trim!

I have been wanting to paint our living room, kitchen area, and dining area for awhile and I am having a hard time coming up with colors to go with a wood trim. Every picture I look at for ideas has white trim. It's beautiful, but I do not want to paint all of the trim in our house! It would take forever. Does anyone have wood trim and have their walls painted in a paint color, besides white, beige, or tan. I would like something not so neutral! I would appreciate any suggestions!

TIA

Heather
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-10-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

How 'bout a sagey green? I bet that would look very pretty against the dark wood.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampforariethan View Post
I have been wanting to paint our living room, kitchen area, and dining area for awhile and I am having a hard time coming up with colors to go with a wood trim. Every picture I look at for ideas has white trim. It's beautiful, but I do not want to paint all of the trim in our house! It would take forever. Does anyone have wood trim and have their walls painted in a paint color, besides white, beige, or tan. I would like something not so neutral! I would appreciate any suggestions!

TIA

Heather
Our living/dining room is painted a beautiful sage color and it looks gorgeous with our wood trim.

Last edited by sassyat30; 09-22-2007 at 07:13 AM..
Old 06-10-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

Sorry for the Christmas picture...it was the only one I had that showed the wood trim on the floor and around the windows! If you maximize the window, it shows bigger and better.

It's a Behr color, and I could tell you the exact color, if you'd like it. I have the paint chip in my craft room.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
Inking Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to DCGibb

We also have medium oak trim around the floor & windows. We used a Behr colors 'Caraway' in our dining room (a dark green), and 'Harvest Brown' in our living room. Love both of them!
Old 06-10-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
Pearl-ExPert

We don't have wood trim but a lot of wood furniture...we have this sort of light mustardy color in the living room. My craft room is a color called burnt toast (it reminds me of coffee with creamer). Both colors look really good against wood.

We plan on painting our office this paprika red color...looks GREAT against our wood furniture.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:12 PM   #7
Polyshrink Goddess

I have medium dark oak trim. These are the colors I have been happiest with:

Martha Stewart (Sherwin Williams) "Gaslight" (kitchen). It's a wheatish yellow.

Ralph Lauren "Fen" in my dining room (like the pic. posted above, a sage green).

Bumblebee Yellow (Disney @ Home Depot) for my girls' rooms. Nice contast, never looks too yellow.

I have a celery in my guest room and studio, and while it looks great against the trim, it looks weird in different lights. My builder did my powder room in a deep rust/red, and my trim is practically invisible. I had the same struggle you do - I couldn't find any pictures in magazines w/o white trim! I think you'll like the richness and the contrast against your wood trim. Good luck!

Old 06-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #8
Stampin' Fool

Here are some ideas:

mustard (think dijon, not French's!)
mellow moss or certainly celery
a spicy dark orange or terra cotta
red
chocolate
slate blue

really, almost any color goes well with stained trim, I think; it just depends what else you have to go with the room for accessories. I think the *in* thing is to actually have a variety of wood tones, but I don't do it just cuz it might be *in* but because I couldn't afford a perfectly matching set of furniture right now.

Good luck! I love that you WANT a color on your walls. For so long I had white or off white walls and once the roller hit the wall, I KNEW I loved having colors on my walls, so I kept going from there! Many many people stick with white or beige on their walls. I say don't be afraid of color people!
Old 06-11-2007, 10:48 AM   #9
Die Cut Diva

Thank you for all of your ideas! It's so hard to take a paint chip and be able to visualize the final look! I really like the sage. I'm going to have to get some paint chips with the Caraway and Harvest Brown to see what they look like! We don't have a "style" for any of our rooms yet. I have an 8 and 6 year old who are great "spillers of all things", so I don't really have the nicer stuff yet! I have an idea of the style I want, so now I just need a color to match! The only three rooms that I have painted so far are my kids bathroom (sea blue), my DD room (pink), and my stamp room (Plum and white). I definitely like color on my walls. Now I just have to convince my DH that he will like color on our walls too! lol

Thanks everyone!

Heather
Old 06-11-2007, 11:34 AM   #10
Die Cut Diva

This photo doesn't show too much, but it does show the light avocado paint with the oak trim we have. I'm not a designer, but I think it looks good.
Attached Thumbnails
dining_room.jpg  
Old 06-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #11
Mad Swapper

The kids playroom is painted a color that is slightly warmer than summer sun, and my kitchen is a bright barely banana.

Peachy colors look good with wood tones as well as the sage green that was posted above. Gorgeous room Sara, btw.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:18 PM   #12
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by allidee View Post
The kids playroom is painted a color that is slightly warmer than summer sun, and my kitchen is a bright barely banana.

Peachy colors look good with wood tones as well as the sage green that was posted above. Gorgeous room Sara, btw.

Thanks! Wasn't my Christmas tree bootiful?
Old 06-11-2007, 06:41 PM   #13
Matboard Maniac

We just bought a new house and it has wood trim. My husband wanted to paint all of the trim white because he hated wood trim, but I convinced him not to because there was so much trim. We painted all of our house in different colors, our living room is a blueish gray, dining room is "pottery barn red", and kitchen is a light yellow. Our bedroom is a toffee brown and basement is called "Surrey Beige." All of the colors look fantastic against the wood and my DH even said he likes the wood now. I think it is hard to imagine because white trim is all the rage, but go with what you like as far as colors, because wood does match anything.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:36 AM   #14
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyat30 View Post
Sorry for the Christmas picture...it was the only one I had that showed the wood trim on the floor and around the windows! If you maximize the window, it shows bigger and better.

It's a Behr color, and I could tell you the exact color, if you'd like it. I have the paint chip in my craft room.
I have the same exact table in our nook area! Your floors shine! I wish I could get mine that sparkling clean! I do love the sage color!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:05 AM   #15
Linking Queen

Our living room has medium oak trim and the walls are almost So Saffron and we are very happy with how it looks.

I also think the sage-y color someone else shared was beautiful. If the room is bright enough, a rich Cranberry color would be a good choice (imo).

In a different home we had a dark peach color with oak trim that looked pretty (the ceiling was a very pale peach that was much less stark than white or ivory).

Good luck!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:52 AM   #16
Die Cut Diva

Wood usually has an orange-y tone to it, so if you want to play up the warm tones, pick a peach, red, or terra cotta. But if you want to have some contrast and a cool, relaxing feeling, then you should pick a soft green or blue. (This is all from too many decorating shows that I've seen. )
Old 06-12-2007, 12:46 PM   #17
Rubber Obsessor

Here's my thought on this. I too have medium oak trim and have painted my walls throughout the house various colors (red living room, sahara sand family room / kitchen, light yellow daughters room, medium blue my room etc). It looks really good but I've come to realize when I see pictures and peoples houses I like they all have white trim. Eventually I am going to have to bite the bullet and either paint or replace all the trims and doors in the house. Good luck.

I do have an AWESOME painting tip....

If you are going to tape off your trim to avoid getting paint on it use your blue tape (or whatever you use) then buy a quart of faux glaze (mines Behr) from the paint store. Go over all of your tape and a little bit of the wall with the glaze. This actually "seals" the tape to the walls and you will have no paint seapage (sp?). I've used maybe a 1/3 of the quart and painted almost every room in my 2700 sq ft home. I have perfect lines. I also did the same thing when I painted stripes in my son's room.

Have fun. I love painting.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:11 AM   #18

Some more words of advice...

When you have narrowed down your choices, get those Sampler jugs and paint a practice board for each color. That way, you don't have to actually paint on the wall and then repaint once you have decided on the color. The practice boards are a decent size and you can hang them on the wall.

I would put these boards up on diffrerent walls in those rooms and see how you like the colors thoughout the day with the lighting changes. It will also give you a few days to see if you really like the color.

Sherwin Williams also has a color visulaizer (http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_i.../new_products/) that you can put different paint colors on walls and trim. You can pick a brown color that matches as close to your wood trim and then have fun sampling!

HTH!
Old 06-15-2007, 11:20 AM   #19
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for the advice Coco! Man am I going to busy this summer! I have a Sherwin-Williams right up the street! I always wondered how people got such perfect lines without the the paint bleeding!

Heather
Old 03-09-2008, 01:31 PM   #20
Inking Addict

Default same boat

i too am struggling with oak trim. just moved in and trying to re-paint the whole house. although the existing colors all look good with the oak. i only like one of the colors. it is called flower pot- it is a nice warm brick color. the other colors that go well with the trim but are not to my taste are a goldish color in the kitchen (to me it looks wierdly greenish in some light) and the Vlaspar "city arboretum" green is just too dark for my scrapbook room. for my new colors i have decided to try to color match SU cardstock so i can put the 12X12 sheets of cardstock on each of the walls for a few days to see it morning, afternoon and evening before i go get the paint. i will start with certainly celery to go with my pink, black and white in my "scrap boutique" - i do so wish the trim there was white butlike you i don't want to do the whole house trim
Old 02-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #21
Cardstock Collector

Same Problem

I had the same problem in my dining room. I searched for months for a color. I finally picked something that would go great with my wood floors and bay window. I was so happy with it...it was a dark green on the bottom, white chair rail, and light green on the top. but my parents and friends that come and look at it have admitted to me they don't like the color. Talk about a disapointment...I was happy with it
Its amazing the affect some people can have on something you like when they tell you you have bad taste...

Now I'm on the forum looking for ideas...
Old 02-04-2010, 11:41 AM   #22
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by apomering View Post
I had the same problem in my dining room. I searched for months for a color. I finally picked something that would go great with my wood floors and bay window. I was so happy with it...it was a dark green on the bottom, white chair rail, and light green on the top. but my parents and friends that come and look at it have admitted to me they don't like the color. Talk about a disapointment...I was happy with it
Its amazing the affect some people can have on something you like when they tell you you have bad taste...

Now I'm on the forum looking for ideas...
Just because your parents and friends don't find it to their liking doesn't mean you have to change it! YOU live there, they don't. If YOU like it/love it, then keep it! If it makes you happy, don't change it. If, after all of the time spent finding those colors, you change it because someone else doesn't like it, when you look at your "new" color, will you be sad because you thought you HAD to change it? KWIM?

It sounds fresh,earthy and inviting, to me. Post a picture if you like! I'd love to see it!
Old 02-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #23
Glitter Guru

I would go with colors that you really like and will enjoy. I think the wood would look good with any color. Most people have wooden furniture of some kind in their homes and it all looks good with color on the walls. I think we are used to seeing white so much lately that it is hard to see beyond that. When I was growing up most houses had wood trim and it was considered a shame when people started painting over it.

Go with your gut and I bet it will look awesome! Have fun picking your colors!
Old 02-05-2010, 05:51 AM   #24
Glitter Guru

This is such a funny thread! I just posted a blog entry about picking paint colors last Saturday! I had lots of samples up, too!

We're getting ready to paint our great room/kitchen area that is currently a dark green with a hint of teal undertone. I thought of sticking with something else green (and Caraway from Behr was at the top of the list!), but then decided to go totally neutral with a color called Stepping Stone (Behr) that is kind of a coffee with cream color.

My problem is that I have light pine floors (so I can't go too light because there would be no contrast!), but the kitchen has cherry cabinets and sage countertops. Oh, and did I mention the red brick fireplace? Yikes! It was a lot to pull together! I think that paint is going up next week, so wish me luck!

By the way, I love Harvest Brown (Behr)! I painted my powder room and boys' bathroom this color!

Good luck with color choices! When all else fails, try taping chips to the wall and looking at it at different times during the day.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #25
Glitter Guru

Okay, I posted the new color choice on my blog today. Please tell me if you like it! We're going to start paintng this weekend! thanks!