Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
Matboard Maniac

Default Help me with ideas for ways to celebrate my 50th birthday!

I turn 50 in a month, and I'm trying to figure out something special and memorable to do to celebrate.

The problem is that since I never get to do anything fun for my birthday, I feel a lot of pressure to "get this right." Family needs and wishes seem to always take precedence. I'm the kind of person who gives and gives and gives and doesn't feel comfortable being selfish, kwim?

The other thing is that I know that because this is a milestone birthday I can "justify" doing something special, just for me, but that it's a one-shot deal. I won't be able to get away with being selfish any other birthdays -- at least not until maybe 60. And because this is my only chance to do something really special -- I feel way too overwhelmed with the possibilites.

I'd love to get some ideas!

About the most exciting thing I've come up with is going out to dinner with 5 friends on one night, then going to a hotel room for the next night all by myself to crop & stamp -- with 3 kids at home, I'm desperate for some peace & quiet! I'm afraid that my husband won't understand or support me taking 2 nights for myself. Don't get me wrong; he's very supportive and understands when I take off for a CM crop weekend with customers or a CM convention -- but that's business-related, it's not just for me. Does that make sense?

OK, I'm rambling now! Let me tell you a little about myself and maybe you can help me.
  • I absolutely love birthdays, but I hate surprise parties.
  • I have 3 different circles of friends that I love to spend time with -- one group of 5 women in particiular that I'd be most inclined to spend my birthday with. But I don't want to have a big party. I'm more of a small group kind of person.
  • I love the outdoors. When I have 30 seconds to be outside without kids, I love to just sit and listen to the birds. I like to hike and do a little birdwatching.
  • I live in FL where the weather is pretty nice this time of year.
  • I love to travel. Before kids, I used to love to take weekend trips and visit antique stores, wineries, quaint towns.
  • Also before kids, I used to be very adventurous, trying lots of new things.
  • Did I mention i like peace & quiet? LOL.
Any ideas are appreciated. I feel so much pressure to get this right. I only turn 50 once!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-13-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

A quiet weekend for yourself somewhere that you have always wanted to go!
A scrapbook/stamp party!
A good excuse to buy 50 scrapbook items!

I'm sure you'll get plenty more responses...these were just a few off of the top of my head!
Old 02-14-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the suggestions ... keep 'em coming!

Anyone else? Please?
Old 02-14-2007, 06:41 PM   #4
Stampin' Fool

I think a girl's weekend is a great idea! Treat yourself and friends. And if it seems to bother DH, schedule it for a day other than his celebration.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
Kookie Creator

I have no great ideas, but I refer to the 50th as the "Golden Jubilee" and it last all year. My hubby was not excited to hear that and wanted to know what I meant. I replied, "anything I want to do all year". That scared him to death.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCAnne

About the most exciting thing I've come up with is going out to dinner with 5 friends on one night, then going to a hotel room for the next night all by myself to crop & stamp -- with 3 kids at home, I'm desperate for some peace & quiet! I'm afraid that my husband won't understand or support me taking 2 nights for myself. Don't get me wrong; he's very supportive and understands when I take off for a CM crop weekend with customers or a CM convention -- but that's business-related, it's not just for me. Does that make sense?
I would hope your husband would be supportive of giving you a very special birthday and would be a good boy and smile and say "Have a nice weekend, Dear".

I think you've got a good start going.... add a small road trip, somewhere with nice scenery and make sure the hotel has a spa. Get a massage or a facial or pedicure or something. That should round it out nicely!
Old 02-28-2007, 05:22 PM   #7
Stampin' Fool

TAke a trip to Hawaii. Leave the kiddos with grandma and celebrate being 50 years young. LOL
Old 02-28-2007, 07:09 PM   #8
Cardstock Collector

Make a list of 50 things you want to do & start with one the week of your birthday! From as simple as a quiet evening in a bubble bath with candles and a good book to seeing the Redwood Forest or the Grand Canyon.
PS - I'm in Florida, too - Navarre (in the panhandle) -- where are you?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias Libby
Make a list of 50 things you want to do & start with one the week of your birthday! From as simple as a quiet evening in a bubble bath with candles and a good book to seeing the Redwood Forest or the Grand Canyon.
PS - I'm in Florida, too - Navarre (in the panhandle) -- where are you?
I think this is a great idea! And if the first thing you cross off your list is "weekend in hotel with scrapbooks", even better!

I actually mentioned to dh that for mother's day this year it would be great for he and his brother to arrange for my sister-in-law (LeahsCreations) and me to have a weekend without kids so we could stamp together. He chuckled in such a way that I'm sure he's already forgotten.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:11 PM   #10
Glitter Guru

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues
Send a message via MSN to LeahsCreations

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederberries
I think this is a great idea! And if the first thing you cross off your list is "weekend in hotel with scrapbooks", even better!

I actually mentioned to dh that for mother's day this year it would be great for he and his brother to arrange for my sister-in-law (LeahsCreations) and me to have a weekend without kids so we could stamp together. He chuckled in such a way that I'm sure he's already forgotten.
StampGirlJo (my sister) asked for this for her birthday and was granted the budget. If you don't mind if she's there too, that would make three of us. I already told her I would try to join her so she wouldn't be alone all weekend somewhere. What do you think? Shall I put in the request?
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Old 02-28-2007, 08:30 PM   #11
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softangelkisses
A quiet weekend for yourself somewhere that you have always wanted to go!
A scrapbook/stamp party!
A good excuse to buy 50 scrapbook items!

I'm sure you'll get plenty more responses...these were just a few off of the top of my head!

I love those ideas and you should combine them all!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:34 PM   #12
Compulsive Stamper

I think it could swing two weekends. It turns out my two sister-in-laws came up with a cool idea. We could got to Waco and stay with Lisa for free and scrapbook all weekend. The only catch is she has not given me a date and I would probably end up cooking the whole trip because neither of them cook... often.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:20 PM   #13
Cardstock Collector

Send a message via Yahoo to mrsfaery

'YOU USED TO BE ADVENTUROUS?"....BEING A WIFE AND MOM ISN'T A JOB......IT'S AN ADVENTURE!!!!!....SO AS TO YOUR BIRTHDAY...HAD DINNER WITH MY HUBBY FOR OUR 31ST ANNIVERSARY.....THEN WENT TO SCRAPBOOK WITH MY SISTER.....OH NO YOU MIGHT SAY...HOWEVER MY FAMILY TRULY LOVES ME AND SHARE ME THEY MUST....THAT'S WHAT FAMILY IS ABOUT....SHARING. SO GO DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY.....FORGET ABOUT MAKING IT A DAY TO REMEMBER....YOU WILL NEVER FORGET.......SPECIAL DAYS AND PEOPLE FOREVER REMAIN IN OUR HEARTS......
Old 03-01-2007, 03:35 AM   #14
Dyu
Stazon Splitcoast

When I turned 50 last year I too knew I wanted to do something special. I decided on a family vaction to Las Vegas. There was 9 of us & we had a blast! SOme gambled & some didn't but there was so much to see & do that no one got bored. Good luck & just remember to have FUN! It's your birthday so enjoy it! Leave the stress at home.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:52 AM   #15
Glitter Queen

Default I heard about a cute party at a seminar I attended

The lady speaker said that her friends told her that they were going to take her out to a fine restaurant and entertainment...

They arrived with a funeral vehicle and all of them climbed in the back...the went to a fine restaurant and all climbed out...they then - in the parking lot - they had a folding table (like a card table) all decked out and had a picnic...
the story goes on - but she said that that was the most fun she has ever had!

When I'm 50 - I don't know what I would want...except to spend it with my twin sister...she's a lot of fun!

Con
Old 03-01-2007, 10:56 AM   #16
Rubber Obsessor

I turn 50 next week Wednesday. I feel your pain...what to do? I too would love some alone time, time with my little family and time with my stampin' friends. I work two jobs so I can't just drop everything. I like the idea I read for a road trip to a fav location. If I get my wish I'll be going to the beach in SC (I live in NC) to have some time to sit in the sun, walk the beach and stamp with a couple gal pals. Good luck to you, and Happy Birthday!

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24
Old 03-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #17
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via MSN to MelenaPrincess Send a message via Yahoo to MelenaPrincess

My sister, sil and cousin all turned 50 the same year, so we went away for a girl's weekend in New York City. There were 9 of us and we walked almost everywhere. We had a blast. The guys watched the kids and everyone survived!
Old 03-02-2007, 02:04 PM   #18
Die Cut Diva

Take a CRUISE!

Schedule a scrap weekend w/ girlfriends.

Enjoy a romantic weekend trip w/ you DH.

When I turned 40 DH & I left DS w/ his mom & we went to Vegas for a night. We don't gamble but we went to a Broadway show, to a nice dinner, and I had my first ever massage. It was a wonderful way to celebrate.
One of my best friends also turned 40 that year so we invited 3 other friends turning 40 and we all went to dinner then back to one of the house for cake & gag gifts. It was a fun time. It wasn't around my big day, but still in the same year. We keep saying that we all turn 50 we'll have to take a cruise. A friend did a short cruise w/ her friends the year they all turned 40.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Old 03-03-2007, 11:27 AM   #19
Matboard Maniac

Hello, I don't know what age your kids are but my boys are 16, 18, and 19 (plus lots of friends) so I completely agree with other posters about doing something without the kids. That doesn't mean we don't love our kids but sometimes when we take time for ourselves we come back refreshed and therefore we are better moms and wives. Why don't you plan 2 events - maybe a family event and a girlfriend event. I love the overnight scrapbooking idea and plan to use it myself!

Good luck and let us know what you decide. By the way, when is your birthday?
Old 03-04-2007, 09:50 AM   #20
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslkerry
TAke a trip to Hawaii. Leave the kiddos with grandma and celebrate being 50 years young. LOL
This is what my DH did for me - we spent 10 days on peaceful, lovely Maui, just the two of us. We've taken *small* vacations (if any) for most of our 34 years together, and have visited 26 states. He said he wanted me to spend my 50th BD in the 50th state... he's still living off the brownie points from that trip!
SCS Fan Club Member #68691
http://gaylestamps.stampinup.net
Old 03-04-2007, 10:44 AM   #21
Kookie Creator

A nice weekend w/your friend drinking java, shopping, scrapbooking and giggling would be great.

My 50th I would like my DH and me to go somewhere to relax, maybe some site seeing or my kids coming home and making me a nice meal w/grandkids pampering ME.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:06 AM   #22
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via AIM to buggab0o0

Go to disney world, "feel like a kid again," go on the kiddie rides ( Dumbo, the merry go round, the race cars, have dinner at the diner in MGM and have " MOM" tell you to eat all your veggies and clean your plate....
Let other family members know you're going and where your staying so they can decide if they want to go too. Eat breakfast in France or Canada, Lunch in Mexico or Norway and Dinner in Italy, Germany, Japan or China...
Old 03-05-2007, 06:08 AM   #23
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via AIM to buggab0o0

ooo even better too Look and see when the Scrapbook convention is in Orlando and go then, then you can do disney and scrappin,