Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 06:54 AM   #1
Hardware Hotshot

Question Is Geek Squad coverage worth it?

I'm seriously thinking about buying a laptop from Best Buy, but I'm not sure if I should get the Geek Squad coverage. It's $119. I'm going to get an HP Pavilion. I'm pretty good with computers, (unless something goes wrong!) and I've never owned a laptop before. Anybody have any thoughts?

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-23-2008, 07:05 AM   #2
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh, I'm interested to hear others' experiences. I just purchased it for my camera since it is good for not only defects but drops and general maintenance.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:19 AM   #3
Forum Fanatic

DS, 'puter engineer, doesn't think much of the Geek Squad. Thinks a local teen can do as good or a better job ... recommends calling the local HS and asking the 'puter teacher for recommendations.

No personal experience. Did I mention DS's a 'puter engineer? LOL!

Old 11-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #4
Die Cut Diva

I think with the internet, you can find pretty much find any type of fix online. I'm not super smart with computers, but I've figured out to do a bunch of stuff just through forums. I also have an HP laptop and its pretty durable. I haven't had any issues with it...its about a year old.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
Insane Embellisher

We purchased it when we bought my daughter's computer and it has been well worth it for us. She has had the mother board replaced, three new power cords, a new battery, and a couple of other things done on her computer all for free. We paid a fortune for her computer and I have been a little disapointed in how much we have had to have done on it, but it is 4 years old and the geek squard warrenty just ran out.
Mom to Elizabeth (27), Sabrina(21), Nick(14), Toti(12), Sarah(10), Cathy(7) & Patrick( 6) and a granddaughter, Maddie (18 months). Give a child a forever home, adopt. There are so many children needing a family of their own.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm not sure about their coverage but I will tell you that I was trying to get a hi-speed modem for my desktop so I could hook up my wireless router and get internet on the laptop at the same time. I went to Best Buy and asked the Geek Squad for help and they went and got the thing I needed and gave it to me so I bought it and took it home and it didn't fit. So I took it back to the Geek Squad with the computer and they looked inside and said that was the wrong one, this is what you need. So I took that one home and it didn't fit. I took it back and didn't talk to the Geek Squad and instead went looking on my own, picked out what I thought I needed, took it home and it worked!! Yea I have internet anywhere in the house!!!! But dang I was mad at the Geek Squad. So don't trust them exclusively.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #7
Polyshrink Goddess

Don't buy Best Buys antispy software unless you pay for the Geek Squad. I bought the antispy software as I thought the sales person knew what he was talking about. Anyways the version that is in the store doesn't work with the newer laptops. I kept getting an error message when I tried to install. When I went back to the store, they would not refund my money since I had already opened the package. I found information online that said that I should return to store to get a refund as the new version is not available yet. They still wouldn't give me a refund. Their only suggestion was to pay $119 to get the updated version from them.

Visit my small but growing gallery
Old 11-23-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm not sure what all they cover but...I bought my laptop a couple of years ago from Dell...this is my third Dell. My first two were problem free. I always get the service coverage and I am so glad with this one! It's more than paid for itself. I have had the hard drive go out...the monitor go out and some keys break off of the keyboard...you would think I was using this thing for something other than uploading a few cards! lol!

hth!
Old 11-24-2008, 05:19 AM   #9
Hardware Hotshot

Does "Chuck" come with it?

Sorry. I really didn't have anything important to add.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:23 AM   #10
Hardware Hotshot

I have found best buy to be a company that will push additional sales on
every customer, when I kept saying NO, they sent someone else to try and
sell additional purchases to me. If you have uninstalled your computer and reinstalled before, I don't think you need the additonal service, you could probably keep up with your own computer

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Old 11-24-2008, 06:24 AM   #11
Watercolor Wizard

I had Geek Squad come out for a couple of network type things, and to look at my son's computer. I was happy with the actual work, but they really nickel and dime you, and I didn't like that. And then I paid like $100 for something on my son's computer, and they said they couldn't do it because it showed that there was a virus. Shouldn't I get my money back then? I mean, I didn't know. They said they could wipe the machine clean of trouble for $199. No way. The (very young) guy was very helpful, so I would say I had no issue with him. I just didn't like the Geek Squad part of it. I would try to go with a local person next time, so he or she would have more flexibility to do his or her own thing outside of the Geek Squad chokehold.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:27 AM   #12
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampencamper View Post
I have found best buy to be a company that will push additional sales on
every customer
, when I kept saying NO, they sent someone else to try and
sell additional purchases to me. If you have uninstalled your computer and reinstalled before, I don't think you need the additonal service, you could probably keep up with your own computer
Ugh, isn't this annoying? I feel like this is the story of every company, even doctors, these days...
Old 11-24-2008, 06:46 AM   #13
Mad Swapper

I do think warranties in general are worth it, but make sure you read the fine print and don't just buy it based on what the sales person says is covered. Many times a sales person will tell you something is covered and it is not just to get you to buy it.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:16 AM   #14
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Beal View Post
Does "Chuck" come with it?

Sorry. I really didn't have anything important to add.
LOL!!!!

I used Geek Squad two years ago when my hard drive tried to die on me. They took it with them for a week and brought it back in working condition. It cost way more than the $119, so I'd buy it now if I were you.

Visit My Gallery!
Old 11-24-2008, 07:23 AM   #15
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinmominky View Post
We purchased it when we bought my daughter's computer and it has been well worth it for us. She has had the mother board replaced, three new power cords, a new battery, and a couple of other things done on her computer all for free. We paid a fortune for her computer and I have been a little disapointed in how much we have had to have done on it, but it is 4 years old and the geek squard warrenty just ran out.
Ordinarily, DH and I don't buy extended warranties, but we did for his HP laptop and also had to have several items replaced. Laptops just don't seem to hold up over time and the warranty is a good idea. FYI, keep in mind that Best Buy may keep your machine for several days or more when it goes in for service.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:33 AM   #16
Insane Embellisher

Smile

Let me tell you from a personal experience that YES I would buy the extra coverage...
Usually I don't go for this but when I bought a Gateway computer from Best Buy I did purchase the extra coverage and thank goodness I did!!!

In August we had problems with the computer not wanting to boot up...you could hear the fan run and run, but nothing was turning on. So we took it in and they had to replace the Motherboard in the tower...no charge to us!!
Now the computer is doing the EXACT SAME THING AGAIN!!!!3 months later and the problem is happening again! My husband and I took it in last Tuesday for the same issue and they have to send it back out to fix it!!! Again, will be no charge to us...if this happens 2 more times THEN we will finally get a new computer under the Lemon Law requirements!
The thing that really gets me is the computer is not quite 3 years old yet...we bought it in January of 2006!! Computers really should go a lot longer than 3 years without problems!!!

So yeah I would spend the extra money to make sure you are covered!!

Natasha
Old 11-24-2008, 07:40 AM   #17
Forum Fanatic

I believe that with the 2 year plan I got, I will get free battery replacement, which is worth the price alone, I think. Before my two years is up, I'll be sure to take them up on it since I know it won't be holding the charge then as it does now.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:41 AM   #18
Forum Fanatic

Plus, for me, the whole reason to get the laptop was because my younger son lost my files on my desktop. With him in mind, I decided to go for the peace of mind.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:09 AM   #19
Die Cut Diva

Last year I somehow killed my Outlook files. Lost all my e-mails. I was ready to die because I keep a lot of e-mails, so I can find info later. Anyway, I called the Geek Squad to see if there was any way to get them back. They said probably not but bring the computer in and in a week or 2 they would get it back to me. I can't live without my computer for a week or 2. I finally looked on-line and was able to find the fix myself. An hour later I had my files back. As someone else said you can find most fixes on-line. Google is a wonderful thing.
I have an HP Pavilion laptop that is 2 yrs. old and never had a problem with it. I just don't think most warranty programs are worth it. Most have so many exclusions that you end up paying for it anyway.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:27 AM   #20
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree that you can find a solution online if you can get there. I always go to a computer tech guy site. They have fixed my computer for me countless times.

http://forums.techguy.org/
This is where I go. These guys work in the field anyway and are pretty good about answering you. You have to join I think, and post your problem in a forum.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #21
Polyshrink Goddess

I think the Geek Squad is as good as their employees. We were very fortunate to have a wonderful Agent help when the hard drive went out of my HP. She took the time to try everything under the sun to fix it. We had her rebuild the computer. There were other computers in the shop, but since I use mine for work and it definitely was an emergency they had it up and running in 2 days.

Crafting in the Northwoods!
Old 11-24-2008, 12:28 PM   #22
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to brightrachel1008

i've had problems with my hp pavillion laptop. you automatically are warrantied through hp, but only for certain things. they were able to help me over the phone with some problems. (pretty much whatever geek squad would do) i WAS VERY GLAD that i bought an accidental damage warranty, because if your 2 year old spills juice on your laptop, then drops it, they WILL NOT cover it. i thought my warranty was through them so i called and they said, "sorry, you aren't covered for that type of damage, it will cost you 399 dollars JUST FOR US TO HAVE A LOOK AT IT." i about had a heart attack, then remembered the lady i bought it from saying i was warrantied against spills. so i figured out i had to call best buy (geek squad) and then take it into the store. i ended up needing a whole new laptop (i got a credit for the damaged one) so i was very glad to have that insurance.

also, our stupid dog has chewed up 3 power supplies. the last time i called and asked for a replacement they just assumed it was wear and tear and never asked. they sent a new one for free. this time my husband called and they wanted a debit card number for collateral until they recieved the old one in the mail. (never asked for that before) he asked how much it would be if they did charge (because they obviously would once they saw the condition of this thing and they said 86 dollars! i made dh hang up and i got on ebay.... where i paid 15.48 total to have the same power supply shipped to me. the lesson here is if you need anything from the company look around first, they seem to have a huge mark up on their prices.

Last edited by brightrachel1008; 11-24-2008 at 12:35 PM..
Old 11-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #23
Crimping Master

Default I had a good experience with them

and I am so glad they were there. They were not the least bit pushy, but did tell me all my options. They offered their virus/spyware software but when I said I had Norton not another word was said.