Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
Gabfest Goddess

Default Funeral Attendance - By Invitation Only?

A business associate of the company I work for died over the weekend. I had met with him and his wife on a few occasions for business in the short time I have worked there. They were very nice people. I read in his obituary that the funeral would be this coming Saturday. I was contemplating if I should go. When I spoke to his wife on the phone today (she called to settle up some business matters) I offered my condolences and we spoke about her husband for a few minutes before getting down to business. She didn't say anything to me like "Will you be attending the funeral?" or "I hope to see you on Saturday". I know my boss will be attending since he was good friends with the man for almost 20 years. But my boss also didn't mention the funeral to me or ask if I was going.

This may sound odd, but I have never been to a funeral that wasn't for a family member so I don't know if it's appropriate to just show up or if I should wait to be invited. I actually don't have a strong desire to go. I just thought it would be appropriate since he was a business associate.

So what do you think? Are funerals generally by invitation only or open to anyone who wishes to pay their respects?
Old 10-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Hardware Hotshot

Unless it says "private family service" then I assume it is open to anyone wishing to pay their respects. I have never received an invitation to a funeral. I think it's a given that no one actually wants to go, and the last thing the family would want to do at a time like that is compile a list of people to invite. I think if you feel you should go then go. If you really don't want to though I think a sympathy card to the family would be appropriate.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
Mad Swapper

Usually there is a 'visitation' for one or two nights before the funeral, where people come to pay their respects. Many come to the visitation without attending the funeral, especially those who were just acquaintences. The deceased has members of the family in attendance at the visitations, and the proper etiquette would be to have a few words with the wife and/or some of the children, and then leave. I wouldn't think you would need to attend the funeral, but attending the visitation is a nice thing to do. There is usually a 'guest book' to sign, showing that you came.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
Hardware Hotshot

I agree that attending the visitation whether it is the night before or right before the service would be the proper thing to do. You would just say a few words to the family. Then, at least where I am from, you can choose to attend the funeral or not. I volunteer to work at funeral lunches after funerals and a lot of people do leave after the visitation but friends and family go to the funeral.

I wouldn't have expected the wife to mention the funeral in terms of hoping to see you. I don't think she would have even thought about doing that. But go if you feel you would like to pay respects to the family.

Unless it states in the obituary that it is a private affair, then it is open to family and the friends and acquaintances. Definitely sign the guest book as the wife will read it at later date and find comfort in those who came.

When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. -- Harriet Beecher Stowe
Old 10-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

My rule of thumb is that if you think "should I go" you probably should go to visitation. If you think "I need to go" then you should attend the funeral.

I went to visitation of my dad's former business partner's mother this week.
I may go to visitation for one of my school friend's father this evening - I'm a bit torn on that one.

I need to go to funerals of my relatives and family friends.

Its an American way for more than the immediate family and friends to even consider going to a funeral.

On the other side - when my father died, it gave me great comfort how many people came because they thought so much of him, my mother, me (either all three or individually) and our extended family (my cousin's in-laws came because she was so upset to give her support during her grief).
Old 10-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
On the other side - when my father died, it gave me great comfort how many people came because they thought so much of him, my mother, me (either all three or individually) and our extended family (my cousin's in-laws came because she was so upset to give her support during her grief).
This is such a great point. I was touched by some of the people who came to my mother's visitation and funeral. Many I hadn't seen in a very long time. It meant so much to see and hear from people she had touched over the years.

As long as it doesn't say family only, I think you can't go wrong. If you feel like you want to go, I'm sure the family will appreciate your condolences.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
Pearl-ExPert

since you were merely an acquaintance.. go to the wake. It is not necessary to attend the funeral.

the wake is about giving comfort to the living. when my mother was killed in an accident, every.single.member. of the entire county's volunteer fire dep't showed up for my brother. not a single one of them had EVER met my mother. the line went 3/4 of the way around the block. I had many of my co workers show up as well.

the funeral is about celebrating the life of the deceased.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
Vintage Vixen

In a situation like this I would probably go to the visitation and send a sympathy card, especially since you have spoken with his widow on the phone.
Often the funeral is more personal and emotion-ridden than the visitation and as just a business acquaintance, you may feel uncomfortable there.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I think this not only helped me know what is appropriate but will help others in the same situation.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:37 PM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast

When a young coworker died suddenly and unexpectedly last year, I think if the funeral wasn't being held on the other side of the country then most of the firm would have attended. As it was, the majority of us were at the wake and her two immediate supervisors did attend the funeral. It was a pretty tight-knit office, though, even with over 80 employees, and she was especially well-liked.

It all depends on how close you felt to the deceased. Like others have said, if you want to go, and have not been told that the service is for relatives only, then feel free to do so and know that it often means a great deal to the family.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 10-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #11
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by row4d View Post
Like others have said, if you want to go, and have not been told that the service is for relatives only, then feel free to do so and know that it often means a great deal to the family.
I agree with Rachel.

It meant so much to me that people came when my dad died. If the service is not announced in the obituary as a private/family only service, I can't imagine that the family would be anything but touched and grateful that you came to support them.