Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By buggainok
  • 1 Post By Rainsong
  • 1 Post By stamper1996

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
Stampin' Fool

Default Fleas on dog

We got a puppy in June, she is now 6 months old and cute as can be, but I am ready to give up on being a pet owner. Our three daughters love Lily, though, which is the only we reason DH and I are hanging on. I feel like I spend hours a day taking care of this dog and I do not enjoy it. We began giving Lily a Sentinel tablet last month, per the vey's recommendation. Days after giving her that first tablet, we noticed fleas on her. We pick them off each night (seeing just one or two at a time), brush her daily, bathe her weekly in dish detergent and flea comb her, and put a flea collar on her. I have seen no signs of them being in the home, but I deep clean every Monday, and have done so for years, so that may be why. I wash all linens each week and we have mostly hardwood floors. I do vacuum weekly the carpets we do have. But I am SO disgusted about this dog having fleas. I am about to give her yet another bath but I am so tired of spending so much time on this dog. How do I get rid of fleas FOREVER? And is this normal to spend so much time on a dog? I don't like it. I have to take her out every two hours to go, walk her, train her, play with her, groom her, etc. My daughters take over when they are home. Our dog loves to eat other animals' droppings, too, which is repulsive. We have deer go through our yard at night and when we take Lily out we have to watch carefully she doesn't eat their droppings. is this normal? Is having a couple fleas each day normal? How do i get rid of them permenently? I really want to like this dog for my kids' sake!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

I am sorry, but I never heard of dish detergent taking care of dog fleas. I don't have time to Google, But there is dog flea shampoo, have you tried that???? Have you talked to the vet about these problems???

yes I have heard of dogs eating and rolling in other animals waist. Forgot the reason, Google will be good for that too

I do remember you posted a while ago regarding your dog situation. It just might be time to come clean with your children and tell them the truth, that you just don't want the dog any more, That when they grow up they can have a dog.

Just explain not everyone is a pet owner, and that is ok. Sorry you are having so many problems.

Well, I found this

Use Dawn and wash the head too

http://www.wikihow.com/Kill-Fleas-With-Dawn-Dishsoap

"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.

Last edited by lesliespringer; 11-04-2013 at 10:46 AM..
Old 11-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

And Here

Dog eats poop "Maybe" to clean the yard

http://www.cesarsway.com/dog-care/do...g-eating-feces

Why do dogs roll in poop....

To mask their smell
Why Do Dogs Roll In Smelly Things? | PEDIGREE®

To deter problem....in a nutshell...clean yard

Google

"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Last edited by lesliespringer; 11-04-2013 at 10:58 AM..
Old 11-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Stampin' Fool

Thanks and yes, I am the one that asked for help several months ago! I have looked on the internet for solutions but there are so many that I thought I would just directly ask other dog owners. Thank you for replying. I am not mean to Lily at all because I really do want to like her and I can't stand cruelty to animals. Lily deserves to be taken good are of! It's just a lot of work right now, although many have told me to hang in there because once she outgrows the puppy stage it will be SOOOOO nice having a dog! I appreciate your posting those links. Thank you!!!!!
Old 11-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnsteele View Post
Thanks and yes, I am the one that asked for help several months ago! I have looked on the internet for solutions but there are so many that I thought I would just directly ask other dog owners. Thank you for replying. I am not mean to Lily at all because I really do want to like her and I can't stand cruelty to animals. Lily deserves to be taken good are of! It's just a lot of work right now, although many have told me to hang in there because once she outgrows the puppy stage it will be SOOOOO nice having a dog! I appreciate your posting those links. Thank you!!!!!
Hey there, wanted to let you know that I can relate to every word you wrote!

First about the fleas...we live in Oklahoma and the fleas and ticks are really bad here especially in the spring and summer. I've always had excellent results from Frontline Plus. It is a little expensive, but you can find it cheaper depending on where you get it. The vets of course, charge the most. I found it at a vet supply that is open to the public. And I think they carry it at Petsmart and Petco.

I never had any luck with flea collars and shampoos. Frontline is placed on the back of the dog, right near the skin between their shoulder blades. It does not harm the dog, but gets into their system, and when the fleas or ticks get on the dog, they bite and are killed. It is very effective and I highly recommend it. I've never used the tablets you spoke of, but always had Frontline recommended by my vet.

Now about all the other problems that go with your sweet doggie. I can absolutely feel for you there, too. About a year and a half ago, we had to put to sleep our toy poodle who was 17 years old and the sweetest little dog ever. My hubby and I are retired, and we both missed her terribly.

I did what they advise you NOT to do - I immediately dashed out and got a new puppy, a darling little toy black poodle pup who reminded us of our sweet dog. I know you cannot replace a pet, really, but I do know you can have a new pet to love and care for.

I think the big words here are "care for", lol. I had not had a puppy in years and years, and was used to our mature, calm, well behaved older dog.

We got a little pen to keep her in while potty training, but let her out a lot in the house. She was a whirling dervish, chewed up anything she could get her little mouth on, rugs, sofa pillows, dish towels hanging in the kitchen that she would jump up and grab!

I spent hours chasing her and getting things out of her mouth. My husband is older and sometimes drops things under his computer desk, like ball point pens, paper clips, etc. She could find the tiniest little thing and dash off with it. I was terrified that she would swallow something and choke, or kill herself. I found her with an open safety pin in her mouth - don't know where she found that.

After a couple of weeks, I thought "What was I thinking, this is a bad mistake. We are too old for this." I actually called the breeder and asked to return the puppy. She was very understanding about it, and agreed to do this. I felt bad, but sort of relieved when I took her back.

After several days, my husband still was looking so sad about it. He had agreed that she was way too much trouble, and that we should take her back. But he really wanted to keep her in his heart of hearts.

So I called the breeder, told her I was the crazy lady that gave the puppy back, and now wanted to come get her again. She laughed, and said of course.

That was over a year ago, and the little dog has settled down some - but not much! She has stopped the puppy chewing, which is a relief. We love her dearly, and most days I'm glad we decided to keep her. She still takes up a lot of my time and energy.
Attached Thumbnails
monet.jpg  

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
PikkuLilla likes this post.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
Stampin' Fool

Thank you for telling me your story. It makes me feel SO much better about not really enjoying this stage. You are about the fifth person that has recommended Frontline Plus. When I take Lily in to be spayed in a couple weeks, I am going to talk to the vet about it. i bought a 12 pack of Sentinel but I can exchange it at 1800Petmeds for Frontline. It kills flea eggs and is a heartworm medicine, but that does nothing about the adult fleas that jump on her outside or the engorged ticks we find on her! We go camping a lot and take Lily almost everywhere so it is important we find a good flea and tick control solution. I took her to the groomer's for the first time today and they told me we are doing a great job taking care of her....I about fell over because we know nothing about caring for a dog and I was sure we were doing things wrong! They did say she had "quite a few fleas" (I noticed two yesterday so I don't how many quite a few is) and gave her a flea bath. Hopefully the cold weather means they will stay away for awhile.

Lily loves to chew, too, but we give her so many of the girls' old toys, stuffed animals, outgrown shoes, and holey socks that she has never chewed anything we don't want her to. She seems about 98% housetrained at this point and I have been spending time each day teaching her simple commands. I figure a well-behaved dog will be more enjoyable (just like kids, right?). I love being active and Lily gives me more reasons to be, what with walking her and playing with her. So, I can see myself really liking her, after this puppy stage has passed. It REALLY helps that my three daughters take care of her when they are not at school. They have been so good about not complaining and playing with her and taking care of her without me reminding them.

Thank you again for sharing your story with me. It made me feel so much better and not so much like a horrible, mean pet owner! Your little black puppy is adorable, by the way! I am glad you gave her a second chance!
Old 11-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Unless you are prepared to treat the entire outdoors, including your yard and camping spots, Lily will continue to get fleas. Frontline will help keep them in abeyance inside your home and on her.

Please do not bathe Lily so frequently with dish soap. Yes, it will kill fleas but it will also dry out her skin. With winter weather coming, it could cause severe damage. Dish washing soap is made to remove oils--this is why you see Dawn being used when sea birds have a run-in with oil spills.

For your home, use a diatomaceous earth found at Home Depot, pet stores and places like Southern States or Tractor Supply. The diatomaceous earth is a natural product that will kill any larvae that hatch. Use it on your wood floors, your carpet, sofa, chairs, etc. because eggs will fall off the dog onto those items. When the conditions are ripe, they will hatch. Leave the product for at least a day. Yes, it is messy--but so are fleas. There is nothing toxic in the diatomaceous earth so your kids will be fine as long as you don't apply tons of it to cause dust clouds.

You may have to apply the product in another two weeks to catch any remaining newly hatched larvae/fleas.

Don't give up on Lily. Just think of her as your third child--one you don't have to put through college!

Rainsong
buggainok likes this post.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:55 AM   #8
Mad Swapper

You ought to be able- maybe through a pet store or vet- to buy a product that you can spray around your home, on the floors mainly, to kill fleas. Our cat is terrible for bringing them in during summer. We get hedgehogs in our garden, and they are notorious flea carriers! The fleas jump on the animal, feed, then drop off to lay eggs inside your home. Fleas do not stay on the animal, and thats the biggest part of the problem. The spray I've been able to buy over here kills adults & larvae around the house. If you Google it, there are a lot of 'natural' remedies about too- I've seen recommendations for home made citrus sprays that are supposed to work. And another recommendation for Frontline too- never ever had any success with flea collars- and as for trying to shampoo a cat- don't even consider it, lol.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
Die Cut Diva

My understanding with using dish soap is to use it to flick live fleas *into* when you are combing the animal with a flea comb. The soap and water mixture will kill the fleas. You shouldn't repeatedly bathe the animal with dish soap.
PikkuLilla likes this post.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
Mini Quack

Send a message via Yahoo to Soni B

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliespringer View Post
I am sorry, but I never heard of dish detergent taking care of dog fleas. I don't have time to Google, But there is dog flea shampoo, have you tried that???? Have you talked to the vet about these problems???

yes I have heard of dogs eating and rolling in other animals waist. Forgot the reason, Google will be good for that too

I do remember you posted a while ago regarding your dog situation. It just might be time to come clean with your children and tell them the truth, that you just don't want the dog any more, That when they grow up they can have a dog.

Just explain not everyone is a pet owner, and that is ok. Sorry you are having so many problems.

Well, I found this

Use Dawn and wash the head too

How to Kill Fleas With Dawn Dishsoap: 11 Steps (with Pictures)
yes Dawn dish soap kills fleas

Soni B
Live Life With a Smile
My Gallery
http://sonisfrontporch.blogspot.com/
Love being a part of MMTPTCC
Old 11-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
Mini Quack

Send a message via Yahoo to Soni B

this year seems to be the worst ever for fleas my ****Zus ia allergic to them

there are pills called Capatar but expensive... but as I see them I give her one as Frontline Plus is not getting the adult fleas ... the groun is loaded due to the flooding here then hot dry summer... so as the rain finally came they were everywheve if in carpet sprinkle table salt let stand for a few hours and the vacumme up can spray vinegar and water too pn pets but harsh on coat as dish soap is... flea combs are heat if not a furry fluffy dog : ) love and patience and persistence with help

Soni B
Live Life With a Smile
My Gallery
http://sonisfrontporch.blogspot.com/
Love being a part of MMTPTCC
Old 11-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soni B View Post
yes Dawn dish soap kills fleas
I know, I posted a link