Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 10-25-2005, 03:22 PM   #1
Insane Embellisher

Default Eagle project fundraiser ideas and suggestions

Hi all!!!
My 17 year old just got approved for his Eagle Scout project - building 15 picnic tables for our church - 10 with benches attached and 5 with the benches unattached - for handicap use.

Needless to say, this is going to be ALOT of wood and expensive!!!

We have been mulling over fundraiser ideas - bake sale, car wash (it's getting cold for that now) and ???????

I thought that perhaps some of you wise ladies had been involved with an Eagle Scout (take that however you wish -*wink wink*) and had some suggestions for successful fundraisers.

I don't care for the bake sale idea because the moms of the troop end up baking and I think it should be something that the boys do to help and support a fellow troop member.

TIA, Amie

My Blog - ameliarose-artfulpassions
My SU! website

Last edited by stampamie; 10-26-2005 at 03:59 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 10-25-2005, 03:44 PM   #2
Rubber Obsessor

What about having the boys head up an "Aution for Services"?
Unread 10-25-2005, 04:00 PM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

You could have a spaghetti dinner at the church. Put sandwich boards on the street advertising and post it at the library and grocercy stores. Also have it in the church bulletin. You will get 200-300 people there for it. Spaghetti is easy enough for the boys to make in the kitchen. They sell huge cans/jars of sauce at costco/sams.

Deborah
Unread 10-26-2005, 03:32 AM   #4
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for the suggestions ladies - unfortunately the Troop has a Spaghetti dinner on Nov. 5th, so we can't do that.

What exactly is an "Auction for Services???

Any other ideas???? - any type of fundraiser is a possibility - What have you all done with Girl Scouts.............. or church groups................ or sports teams............. or trip funding.....................???????????????????????

TIA,
Amie

My SU! website
Unread 10-26-2005, 06:10 AM   #5
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampamie
Thanks for the suggestions ladies - unfortunately the Troop has a Spaghetti dinner on Nov. 5th, so we can't do that.

What exactly is an "Auction for Services???

Any other ideas???? - any type of fundraiser is a possibility - What have you all done with Girl Scouts.............. or church groups................ or sports teams............. or trip funding.....................???????????????????????

TIA,
Amie

Have people at church/community donate a service. Such as: doing this years taxes, babysitting, yard cleanup, etc. Then have an aution to sell the services. Worked great at my church!!!
Unread 10-26-2005, 06:47 AM   #6
Mad Swapper

This isn't exactly what you were asking for, but you could do this in conjunction with another fundraiser.

Have you considered asking hardware stores in the area to donate some of the materials? They have community relations people that are always happy to help out with this kind of thing...builds good community relations!

If you're uncomfortable asking for that kind of donation, another idea would be to determine what your fundraiser will be and then ask hardware stores to match what you raise...say dollar-for-dollar or 1:2 (maybe even 2:1!!) or something like that. That way, at your fundraiser, you can "advertise" that XYZ Depot will be matching all funds raised at the fundraiser. It might also encourage people to just donate instead of purchasing whatever you're selling. Again, it gets the word out that XYZ Depot cares about the community.

Hope that helps a bit!
Unread 10-26-2005, 06:49 AM   #7
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampamie
I thought that perhaps some of you wise ladies had been involved with an Eagle Scout (take that however you wish -*wink wink*)
Oh, and this cracked me up...since my DH is an Eagle Scout (I was informed by another Eagle Scout that "once and Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout" when I made some comment about how he was an Eagle Scout).
Unread 10-26-2005, 07:54 AM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

We had an auction for services for a troop we were with once, but I have to say that I'm not for it. I think that they should do something to raise the money - that is the point. We had father's who offered to change oil, do repairs around the home; mother's offered a cake a month, baked goods for a silent auction that night, massage. While I don't mind the fundraiser for the troop, where was the boys effort in this? The leaders announced it, other people did all the work, the most they could count for hours was set-up and flyer preparation and distribution.

Have the boys offer oil changes for ~$15. They would make a good profit and most if not all should know how to do that by now.

A bingo night would be easy to pull off and fun.

We struck a deal with a local sub shop for several years and took orders. Two weeks later we delivered the subs that were ordered. You just have to set a time that people will be home for delivery.

I can't think of any other unique fundraisers we've done at this point.

Deborah
Unread 10-27-2005, 06:07 AM   #9
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies -

I agree about the Services Auction - it should be the boys doing most of the work!

That is a good idea about matching funds from a local lumberyard!!!! We'll check out about that!

Anyone know of any fun "marathon" and sponsor kind of events???

Thanks again!
Amie

My SU! website
Unread 10-27-2005, 06:54 AM   #10
Rubber Obsessor

The Services Auction worked for us because the leaders let the boys organize the whole thing. Yes other people provided their services...but the boys lined it all up. Too many times the leaders take over. It's a matter of how you look at it.
Unread 10-27-2005, 03:44 PM   #11
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to SilverDragoness
Default Eagle Scout Project Donations

My son built bat and bird houses for our county parks. The county actually donated the wood. But it did take nails and paint etc. to finish them. My son dressed in his uniform went and ask for donations from our local lumber yards etc. They all came up with supplies for him. You did say it was for the church would they be willing to take a offering or set out a donation box. Some service organizations have also helped some of the boys in our troop cover some costs for expensive projects. The younger boys in the troop loved this project. They really got into putting materials together to produce the houses. Would gift basket raffle work for your group. We all ways had a dinner in December. How about selling wreaths or poinsettas. Our troup also did tree recycling where people prepaid to have their trees picked up after Christmas. Our troop also have done candy bars as a fundraiser. The boys liked those. This Silverdragoness mother writing this.
Unread 10-27-2005, 03:53 PM   #12
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to SilverDragoness
Default Dessert Auction

In Cub Scouts we did dessert auction after dinners. Which was a nice fund raiser. Having done the Eagle Scout thing. Check now to see if the paper work is done on all your sons merit badges. We found ourselves completing three merit badges that the paper work wasn't completed for some reason or another. It was quite a scramble to complete before my sons 18th birthday. The application for Eagle Scout was worse than doing taxes. They are extremely pickey in proper order etc. They actually had two people check it before its submitted to council.
Unread 10-27-2005, 04:04 PM   #13
Gabfest Goddess

Congrats on your son's achievement (he's well on his way!) - congrats to you too - being the mom of 2 Eagle Scouts, I know what it takes!

We were fortunate enough to have most of the supplies donated from either Home Depot, or they were paid for by the town (both my boys did projects for a senior housing place where their grandfather lived).

Since this is a church that will benefit from the project, maybe some of the church members could donate some of the materials. Maybe do a "buy a board" kind of thing - if one family cannot afford to put in for a whole board, maybe they can team up with another family. I'd check with your church administrators (deacons, etc.) to see if they would approve it.

Best wishes to all of you! When does he turn 18? Both my boys got their paperwork approved just in time! NOT fun, let me tell you!

<--Wishing I was cruising (Caribbean Princess, May 2010)
Unread 10-27-2005, 05:35 PM   #14
Insane Embellisher

Thank you SO much for all of your ideas - the troop is having a spahetti dinner in Nov. and maybe he can do something there!!My son turns 18 on March 25 soooooooooooooooo we don't have a whole lot of time - we will check those merit badges and make sure the paperwork is all completed.
Did you all do a big HooHaw for your sons' Court of Honor - one of our Eagle's mom had a sit-down lasagna dinner!!!!! It was more like a wedding!!! Others just had dessert receptions, which is probably the route we will go!!

Thanks again for all the great ideas!!!

Amie

My SU! website
Unread 04-24-2017, 07:39 PM   #15
Cardstock Collector

Default Did you read the workbook?

Did you read the Eagle service project workbook? It's about showing LEADERSHIP.... not back breaking labor... not how many service hours... not how much it costs ... it's about - did the Scout show leadership to two or more people. There are a lot of myths and "I think" out there ruining Scouts. Read the workbook. Study the BSA site before passing judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbrd View Post
We had an auction for services for a troop we were with once, but I have to say that I'm not for it. I think that they should do something to raise the money - that is the point. We had father's who offered to change oil, do repairs around the home; mother's offered a cake a month, baked goods for a silent auction that night, massage. While I don't mind the fundraiser for the troop, where was the boys effort in this? The leaders announced it, other people did all the work, the most they could count for hours was set-up and flyer preparation and distribution.

Have the boys offer oil changes for ~$15. They would make a good profit and most if not all should know how to do that by now.

A bingo night would be easy to pull off and fun.

We struck a deal with a local sub shop for several years and took orders. Two weeks later we delivered the subs that were ordered. You just have to set a time that people will be home for delivery.

I can't think of any other unique fundraisers we've done at this point.

Deborah