Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #1
Crimping Master

Default E-readers: Which one to get

I'm seriously considering getting an e-reader. Been doing some research on-line. Currently leaning towards the Kindle Fire b/c of the color touch screen for playing games. Other criteria I have is, of course, Wi-Fi download of ebooks; web-surfing & e-mail capabilities.
Do you have an e-reader? What do you like/dislike about it? What would you buy and why?
Thank you so much for taking time to read this and give your opinion.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
Die Cut Diva

There have been some other discussions on e-readers; you might want to search this forum.

I own a Nook (first generation black and white) and love it. I only wanted to read books on it, so it's perfect for that use. Since you want web surfing, you'll need to choose a "tablet" e-reader like Nook color or Kindle fire.

FWIW, both Nook and Kindle can check out library books. With both devices you need to download the books onto a computer first. Nook needs to be wired with their USB cord to get library books. I have read that, after they are downloaded onto a machine, the Kindle can get them wirelessly, but you may want to confirm that.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I LOVE my Kindle Fire - there's a giant free lending library - instant downloads, no feeds, I can play words with friends on it Battery lasts forever - it's the best thing since sliced bread.

My 2014 Convention
Retreat

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 05-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a Kindle Fire, and while I love and adore it WAY more than I thought I would, be aware that you aren't going to be doing any reading outdoors with it! LOL. That is going to be the case with any of the color ones, I think. I believe they make anti-glare screen protectors that would help with that, my screen protector is more... pro-glare. I just got a smart phone (I managed to hold my DH off for a year before we got them - GO ME) and had an anti-glare screen protector put on it, plus it already had the Kindle app on it, so if DD and I go outside I have to read on my phone. Other than that, the Fire is awesome. I get Library books on it and I can just get them straight from our library's website. There is a large lag time before it actually downloads, but I don't need to do it on the computer first. This MAY be related to the individual libraries and not the reader you're using, I'm not sure. I can email on it, but I hate touchscreen keyboards so I don't do it much. I LOVE playing games on it - I check the Free App of the Day on Amazon almost every day. I also got a subscription to Amazon Prime and watch movies and TV series on it while walking on my treadmill (SO much better than staring at the wall). You should be aware that when you go onto Amazon from the Fire 1-Click ordering is enabled so you have to be careful. I haven't had any trouble with that, but some people complained about it. Web surfing isn't bad, but since you have to have a WiFi connection to use it I only get to do it at home and I'd rather use my computer (again, that's just the keyboard issue). I've never seen a color Nook in person, so I can't do a comparison. Hope that helps!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
Crimping Master

Thanks so much for all the input. Kindle Fire is looking more & more like what I want. The "cloud" feature plus game playing is a big plus for me.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamper1996 View Post
There have been some other discussions on e-readers; you might want to search this forum.
I've gone back & read thru these forums. Some of them haven't been updated for several months. Still no divisive winner from reading those.

Still have more research to do & opinions to ponder. Right now, the Kindle Fire is in 1st place.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
Hardware Hotshot

i've had my KIndle Touch for almost 2 mos now, and i love it!

it can surf the web and do emails, but, i do all that on my phone instead, just cause its what i am used to!

i do play the games alot.

and it has the "text to speech" feature where it can read to you. you can choose either male or female voice, and speed it up or down. it sounds quite natural too! however, i would rather it sounded like Liam Neeson, or Mark Harmon, LOL

my main wish with an ereader was that i could feel "unplugged" while reading, and you do! you choose which book you want and away you go! you forget you are on a gadget!

now, i do wish it were in color, but, that is a minor thing really.

Amazon offers 100 free selections which change almost daily, and sometimes include cookbooks and craft books.....grab those while they are free. i waited too long on one and then it went back to the full price!

also, they offer you an instant discount if you agree to accept their CC, i did and saved $30 that day....some days they offer $50.......so check that out too.............

anyways, which ever you choose i think you will enjoy it!! you will say "why didnt i get one sooner"

Old 05-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
Crimping Master

Default So silly, but . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Understandblue View Post
I LOVE my Kindle Fire - there's a giant free lending library - instant downloads, no feeds, I can play words with friends on it Battery lasts forever - it's the best thing since sliced bread.
Probably the BIGGEST selling point for me!
Old 05-26-2012, 05:09 AM   #9
Embossing Fanatic

I got my Kindle Fire as a sort of birthday present when our taxes came in and i LOVE it... so does my 4 year old daughter.. We have a ton of games on there as well as books.. I hardly ever go outside with it but they DO have the screen protectors that can be put on to be anti-glare which i may need to invest in soon before my next road trip I have the netflix app on it so my daughter will watch a movie or cartoon on it when we are waiting in the doctors office (wifi must be available) but there are also plenty of games on it that dont require wifi that she can play as well... It was also very helpful to me when i had my surgery..i was stuck in bed for 3 days with no way to hold my laptop on my lap because i could barely sit up. So i was able to use my kindle to check all my email and facebook and play my games....
ALSO! i just realized that you are in Columbia, SC.. thats where my road trip is to.. we go up there a few times a year!
Old 05-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
Crimping Master

I'm gonna do a side-by-side comparison of the Kindle Fire vs Samsung Galaxy tomorrow. Pretty sure I'm gonna go with Kindle, but who knows after I see them together.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:11 AM   #11
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftjunkiesc View Post
I'm gonna do a side-by-side comparison of the Kindle Fire vs Samsung Galaxy tomorrow. Pretty sure I'm gonna go with Kindle, but who knows after I see them together.
I know y'all are on the edge of your seats waiting to know my decision. After comparing the Kindle, Kindle Fire and Samsung Galaxy side-by-side, I'm gonna go with the Kindle Fire. Since my main criteria is a device on which to wirelessly download (minimal) books, play games (WWF & Angry Birds) and to check email/calendar on the go, Kindle Fire meets my needs. If I were looking to download LOTS of books/movies/TV shows, etc, I may have opted for the Galaxy with expandable memory.
Thanks so much for your comments. Greatly appreciate your enabling input.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #12
Crimping Master

subbing my daughter wants one for her bday this year...she already has a monogrammed ereader case for it but we need to figure out which one would be the best fot her
Old 06-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #13
Crimping Master

Found out I can get a Kindle Fire at Sam's Club. Should be in my hot little hands by end of next week! No break on price tho.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:53 AM   #14
Cardstock Collector

I've got a Sony eReader - my second, after I finally read through and burned out the battery on my original. I also had a Nook as a stop gap between my two Sonys and while it's a great reader, the Sony organises books better.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a kindle with a ten foot pole - from what others have said, I'm sure they're perfectly good readers, but there was a fuss a while back where Amazon sold a book then was told they shouldn't have - so removed it from everyone's readers next time it was synced. Now, while I understand *why* they did it, the fact they *can* creeps me out. Therefore no kindle for me!

Oh, whatever one you do get, have a look for a freeware program called Calibre - it's basically iTunes for books and a fab way to organise your ebooks on your PC. I have no connection, just use it and love it!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #15
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moza View Post
I've got a Sony eReader - my second, after I finally read through and burned out the battery on my original. I also had a Nook as a stop gap between my two Sonys and while it's a great reader, the Sony organises books better.

Therefore no kindle for me!Personally, I wouldn't touch a kindle with a ten foot pole - from what others have said, I'm sure they're perfectly good readers, but there was a fuss a while back where Amazon sold a book then was told they shouldn't have - so removed it from everyone's readers next time it was synced. Now, while I understand *why* they did it, the fact they *can* creeps me out.

Oh, whatever one you do get, have a look for a freeware program called Calibre - it's basically iTunes for books and a fab way to organise your ebooks on your PC. I have no connection, just use it and love it!

This happened years and years and years ago which refunds where given out to customers that were affected!!

Also Kindle has the Best customer Service of all e book readers Just Saying

But if you get any ereader I would suggest an eink for reading not an tablet that is backlit which really can not be read in the sun. Just a friendly hint for reading.

"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #16
Cardstock Collector

Oh, I know refunds were given, and like I said I understand why they felt the need to do it, but the simple fact they could and did do it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I can't trust a company that could do that.

I like that the Sony isn't tied to any one bookstore, as the kindles appear to be, and it take a variety of formats, including ePUB, which is my prefered format for books.

One thing we do agree on - go for eink, the backlit ones are lousy on the eyes,
Old 06-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #17
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

That flub that happened with kindle could happen with any ebook company, just happened to be kindle at the time and others learn and no mistakes have happen since.

I did do all my research on the internet before hand and found I did not care which format book were print in. I did consider B&N but when went to B&N I found their sale people were a little pushy I then did more research over the internet and found better info on the Kindle. So that was the one I went with.

But when my daughter wanted a new phone last Nov for her bday and we went out to Verizon and I saw all those new tablets boy o boy was I tempted. I meam Big time Tempeted. But I passed. Just me and my kindle. The two of us are two best friends. with no room for a tablet.....yet

got to go kid waiting on me

"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #18
Gallery Gazer

I looked at a kindle but bought an iRiver instead, reason, I could download books free from my local library with a iriver but not a kinldle/amazon as of all the copyright blurb.
Saying that an iriver is a reader only. That was a long time ago.
I was bought an ipad for my birthday this year and the iriver went to one of my kids.
I like the ipad as you have many more capabilites and I can get my free local library (linked to the rest of Australia) downloads .... and it was also before a lot more of the tablets were on the market.

... also all devices are more expensive over here, yes I can buy one from the US but there goes my warranty if any problems occur and any power leads would have different plugs.

Take your time and look around a lot of the android stuff is popping up, choices choices!