Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
Insane Embellisher

Default Dog's toe nail cracked down the center???

Has any one had their dog's toe nail crack down the middle? My dog cracked hers and I have been trying to clear it up without going in but I am bitting the bullet and taking her tomorrow. I just don't have the funds to have a high vet bill. I hope this doesn't cost alot. She still has the nail on the two sides of the quick but the quick has popped out on top of the nail. I have been putting creams, powders and cleaning it but nothing seems to help the quick recede. And the if she licks it gets bigger. I have put a sock over it and that seems to help but I can see its not going to go away on its own. Does anyone know what they will do or have any experience with this sort of thing?

Thanks for your help

Just not enough time in the day to do
everything that I love to do :)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
Hardware Hotshot

Most likely they will remove the nail and let a new one grow in. Here that would cost you about $40. Since your in WI it should be the same. Just a quick office visit. A new nail will grow in just like that old one. And it won't bother your dog or catch on things to make it hurt while it heals. Much better option. They also have some glue stuff they might try and it takes multiple applications and can still catch things and hurt. I'd go with the removal.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
Die Cut Diva

This happened to out dog on the weekend and we went to the emergency center. They needed to remove the nail and the Vet asked if we wanted her to have something for pain first and of course we said yes. He said some people don't want to pay the extra money and I could not believe this.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
Hardware Hotshot

Take her in - it is really painful to have the quick exposed like that.

If it were where I used to work - they would most likely sedate her and remove the nail...
If it wasn't totally split, sometimes we would cut up to the quick and then glue or bind the 2 halves together.

It won't hurt her anymore after the nail isn't split.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
Insane Embellisher

Did they actually put the dog under or just give a shot in that area to numb it? I could deal with $40 but usually just the office visit is $40-50. Hope that's all it is but then I will feel bad for not going sooner.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
Hardware Hotshot

Every vet would be different... I would call the vet, explain the situation and ask for an estimate.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
MnM
Insane Embellisher

Yes the nail will probably have to come off.

This just happened to Dutch. I am at our beach house and DH called me Monday to tell me Dutch hurt his foot and it looks like his toe is bleeding at the nail. Since this has happened before, I told him to take him to the vet.
Well poor Dutch had to have his pinkie toenail removed from his right front foot. And I'm not home to be with him.
He is on pain meds and antibiotics. The vet gave him boots to wear for when he goes out so he doesn't get it wet. DH is not the best when it comes to our dogs being in pain.
I thought about going home. But DH and the vet said Dutch is ok and I should stay here as planned.

Oh and I sent you a PM.

Last edited by MnM; 02-20-2009 at 03:02 PM..
Old 02-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

Every vet might do it differently and it depends on how far it's split.

Most of the ones I've worked with will just take a pair of trimmers and quickly cut below the split, cauterize (with quick stop or silver nitrate.. but the s.n. burns) and wrap it up with no anesthesia. Usually antibiotics to go home. If it's split to deep, then its a different story. However it's DEFINITELY painful to leave it exposed, so hope they are able to take care of it affordably for you.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
MnM
Insane Embellisher

If someone can get in touch with Kelly please tell her to read her PM from me. Please.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #10
Insane Embellisher

Oh yea, I would definitely take her in. The quick is really painful to have exposed-and if their is any irritation to the quick it can become infected. When I used to work at a vet they used to remove the nails and just numb the area...but it's different with all vets and depending on the size of the dog they might do it differently. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2009, 05:06 AM   #11
Matboard Maniac

My dog split his down the side. The vet put him under and cut it back real short. He said if I were to leave it alone it would continue to crack as it grew. That was over a year ago and my dog has crack another about three weeks ago. It wasn't near as bad. I found it soon enough so we super glued it so it wouldn't get worse. It's all grown out and is fine. He has real brittle nails. It seems to happen when his nails are a little long, so I've been keeping them short.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:08 AM   #12
Insane Embellisher

I just came back from the vet. They gave her a local and removed the nail as far back as they could. They are sending it for testing to make sure its not bone cancer. That was the last thing I expected. I am not sure if its just routine or if it really could be cancer. She seems to think that they may have to remove part of the toe but the tests will determine that. I will find out in a couple of days. In the meantime she is on pain meds and some antibiotics. I am glad I am home with her today.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:25 AM   #13
Polyshrink Goddess

Sending cyber hugs your way. You must be very stressed out. Hopefully, the test will come back negative and they are just being extra careful. I hope your doggie heals quickly.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #14
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmolitor View Post
I just came back from the vet. They gave her a local and removed the nail as far back as they could. They are sending it for testing to make sure its not bone cancer. That was the last thing I expected. I am not sure if its just routine or if it really could be cancer. She seems to think that they may have to remove part of the toe but the tests will determine that. I will find out in a couple of days. In the meantime she is on pain meds and some antibiotics. I am glad I am home with her today.
Yikes... that never crossed my mind. What made them think of cancer? Was there a nodule on the toe itself or something?

I hope the results come back favorable~~~
Glad you were able to get it taken care of.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:20 AM   #15
Insane Embellisher

She said it didn't look like normal tissue. I felt really bad for waiting to bring her in but she said that it wouldn't have mattered when I came in and she would have done the same thing. I just hope this is just routine and every thing is ok. I am bringing her back in now because she is bleeding through the bandage. I called the vet earlier and she said if it continues to bring her in and I just saw that it is still bleeding through.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #16
Crimping Master

Sending cyber hugs. I know how we are with our dogs and we consider them to be our kids, so this is definetly a stressful time. I hope everything turns up negative for the cancer.

Let us know what happens with everything.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #17
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm so sorry your doggie has to go back in to the vet. I really hope nothing major is wrong and this is just a bump in the road. It is so hard when they hit you with the unexpected. My cat quit eating a few weeks ago, so after 24 hours, I took him in as they first said kidneys and my poor DH starting crying. They also though it could be Feline HIV. Well, $533 later, we have a healthly kitty, gave him some meds to increase his appetite, and you wouldn't have any idea he didn't feel well a few weeks ago. I hope that is the case for you too!
Old 02-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #18
Insane Embellisher

Thank you all for your support! It has really helped me through the day.

I took Mandy in to have her bandage replaced and they said it all shifted in there and knocked out the packing so that is why it started bleeding again. It wasn't bleeding when they replaced the bandage so it all should be good now. Now just to keep it dry! LOL it just snowed here about 6 inches so that should be fun. Good thing she only has to go outside twice a day! And no playing in the snow for her for a couple of days.

Thanks again and I will keep you posted

Old 02-21-2009, 03:25 PM   #19
MnM
Insane Embellisher

One of those bags that your newspaper comes in, makes a good weatherproof sock to go over the bandages. Or try a sandwich bag.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:19 AM   #20
Insane Embellisher

Well, I got the results back on Mandy's toe nail and it is cancer. I never thought it could be cancer! They did xrays on her chest and lungs and that was all clear so it hasn't spread into any organs. They said if it were to spread it would be in her lungs. So that is good news. So now they want to remove her toe completely. And hopefully it will be contained. My question is how do they know if it hasn't spread into to her foot. But they don't know that until they send it off to be tested. I have already spent $440 and its going to be another $800!

Old 02-26-2009, 05:42 AM   #21
Hardware Hotshot

I am very concerned that you may be getting hosed. I would get a second opinion. If the tissue came back as abnormal it would be because of the injury anyway. I'm just worried that they are conning you out of money you really can't afford for this. Maybe someone with more knowledge can pipe in but I have had 1000's of animals in my life (grew up on a hobby farm/ rabbitry ) and never saw cancer start like this. I've seen lots of cancer in animals but this sounds suspicious. (((HUGS))) I'll be wishing you the best.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:15 AM   #22
Insane Embellisher

I saw the report from the lab and it said malanoma cancer. I too thought it strange.

The other thing I was wondering for those that live in Wisconsin. We have the veterinary university in Madison, has anyone used them for services?

Old 02-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #23
Stazon Splitcoast

I've seen a lot of dogs get cancer that shows up around the base of a toenail. I wouldn't have thought of it from a cracked toenail, but it does happen.

Unfortunately without removing the toe and sending it to the lab they can't tell if it has spread. What they do is remove it and the lab tests test the margins around the lump or nodule of what they removed. There should be a certain amount of area that is free of cancer cells for them to say that they should have gotten it all.

Is it a definite answer? No. But if you leave it, it will most definitely spread.

HTH.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #24
Crimping Master

Kelly, Im sorry you are having to deal with this.
My rottie had the same thing and they had to remove his toe/pad.
I didnt even know that could be done. I took him in for the same thing because his nail was split. He was 9 years old at the time.
I was told that it needed to be done ASAP.
The vet removed his toe and he lived to be 14 which I think is quite
old for a dog his size.
Troy was 110 lbs and very tall.

I hope everything works out.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:10 PM   #25
Insane Embellisher

Barbie, what type of cancer did your rottie have? Mandy has melanoma which is the worse of the two. The other one I think is carcinoma (sp?). That is good news that she lived another 6 years I just hope nothing has spread further. Its not in the chest/lungs so that is a good thing. She goes in next week Thursday. I will keep you posted, Thanks for all your support

Old 02-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #26
Hardware Hotshot

Barbie~ 14 years for a rottie is very very good...! Congrats~

I'm sorry, Kelly, about the diagnosis.
I worked for a vet for 17 years and while I don't recall a case like this, I highly doubt if your Dr. is lying to you. Removing the toe could save your dog's life... without it the cancer will spread.
If it were me, I'd have to do the surgery.

If you want a second opinion, go for it, but I wouldn't wait long.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #27
Hardware Hotshot

Here's a good article you may want to read:
http://www.wellsphere.com/pet-health...nd-dogs/428773
Old 02-27-2009, 05:24 AM   #28
Insane Embellisher

Thanks Ireland for your opinion. Yes I am having the surgery done. The earliest I can get in is Thursday. I read the article and it is in her second toe (non weight bearing) so that is good. Looking at the picture, Mandy's lump is not nearly that big. I am praying that once the toe is removed all will be ok. Again no guarantees but at least I have done what I can for her.

Thanks to everyone for you support

Old 02-27-2009, 07:05 AM   #29
Hardware Hotshot

Good luck to you and Mandy. Definitely not something you want to have to do or spend money on, but as you said... you are doing everything you can for her.

Oh BTW - I *love* your siggy, I say that all the time!!

I hope you post and let us know how she does with the surgery~~
Old 02-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #30
Polyshrink Goddess

OMG, I'm so sorry that your poor doggie has cancer. I'm fairly new to the wonderful world of dogs (less than two years) and I never imagined that a cracked toenail could be caused by something so serious. I hope all goes well with the surgery and that Mandy recovers quickly. {{{hugs}}}
Old 02-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #31
Hardware Hotshot

I'm so sorry to hear about your puppy and hope all goes well with the surgery. Cancer is one of my biggest fears with my pets, because I know how common it is, unfortunately. It sounds like your dog has a really good chance of it being contained, though, so that's good!

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Old 02-28-2009, 02:52 AM   #32
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm new to dog ownership too...Daisy is a little over one and a half...and had NO idea that a split toenail could be indicative of cancer!! Wow.
I hope Mandy's surgery goes well and that it is all contained!!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #33
Crimping Master

Quote:
Barbie, what type of cancer did your rottie have? Mandy has melanoma which is the worse of the two. The other one I think is carcinoma (sp?). That is good news that she lived another 6 years I just hope nothing has spread further. Its not in the chest/lungs so that is a good thing. She goes in next week Thursday. I will keep you posted, Thanks for all your support
Kelly, Troy had melanoma and it was his rear leg where he had his toe removed. It never bothered him to walk and he was back to his usual self a few days after surgery.
I hope that Mandy will be fine. Hugs to you during this difficult time.

Please let us know how Mandy is doing.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #34
Insane Embellisher

Thanks Barbie, that is good to hear success stories. She goes in tomorrow night for surgery on Thursday. I will keep you posted.

Please keep her in your thoughts

Old 03-09-2009, 12:20 PM   #35
Hardware Hotshot

How is Miss Mandy doing today, Kelly? We are thinking good thoughts for her and for you too!
Old 03-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #36
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for asking about Mandy. I have been waiting to post until I know the test results but since you asked.... Mandy seems to be doing fine with her surgery. She had her toe removed last Thursday. She was totally out of it when she came home that night but I am sure that is because of the medication she was on. But she was better the next morning and is getting better each day. She even ran after a rabbit this morning so it hasn't hindered her too much. I hope I get the results soon. I have not see her foot yet it is bandaged and I need to go in tomorrow to get it changed, yet another cost....

Thanks again for all your support

Old 03-10-2009, 05:00 AM   #37
Hardware Hotshot

Hope the test results come back that they got it all~~
Chasing rabbits sounds like she forgot about it already.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:53 AM   #38
Insane Embellisher

Good news! Mandy's test results came back with clean margins. That means that the cancer did not spread past area they cut. Now with melanoma there is a high chance that it will reoccur or show up in another area. Usually it will show up in the lungs and when they took the xrays they were clear so right now it looks good. Hopefully she will have another couple of good years!

Thank you all for your support

Old 03-12-2009, 05:09 AM   #39
MnM
Insane Embellisher

This is great news. Thanks for the update.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #40
Crimping Master

Quote:
Good news! Mandy's test results came back with clean margins. That means that the cancer did not spread past area they cut. Now with melanoma there is a high chance that it will reoccur or show up in another area. Usually it will show up in the lungs and when they took the xrays they were clear so right now it looks good. Hopefully she will have another couple of good years!

Thank you all for your support
EXCELLENT news about Mandy. Try not to worry too much, if Mandy is out chasing rabbits, now thats a good sign.
Like my rotty, I hope that Mandy lives a long and healthy life.
He died of old age (14) not cancer =)