Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to brightrachel1008
Default Do you cry when you're frustrated?

I do.

Today was the second day in a row of having to deal with problems concerning my bank account and getting zero results. I believe that the bank in wrong in their approach to dealing with the what I consider to be a major flaw in their operating procedures. The details really aren't that relavent, but what is bothering me is my reaction to these high-tension confrontations.

Do you cry when you're frustrated? How do you get a handle on it? Is it my mind-set? Do I resign myself to a lifetime of this embarrassing affliction?

I can't even begin to tell you how mortifying it is to be sitting and discussing your account with a bank supervisor and all of a sudden the tears are coming. There's nothing I can do to stop it but stop talking for a few minutes, if I try to continue it just gets worse. Even before the tears come I have that horrible weak, trembly voice. It's not because I'm scared, it's because I'm so darn mad, I guess my body just doesn't know what else to do.

I'm really not a big crier... why is it only when I'm livid? This really messes with my whole "I'm mad and you're going to deal with it" demeanor. Things did not go in my favor, and I'm sure the tears didn't help. Once I collected myself enough to talk again I simply told the supervisor I would be in on Monday to close my account, thank you for your time, and I left.

Here's hoping I'm not the only "weakling".
Old 09-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #2
Mad Swapper

Nope, I do it too. All of my friends and family know that if I am mad enough to cry that they should probably vacate the premises PDQ!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-26-2009, 03:35 AM   #3
Insane Embellisher

Glad to hear I'm not alone! It just angers my husband; he doesn't get that I can't help it!!
Old 09-26-2009, 07:07 AM   #4
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via AIM to akmas

You are not alone! This is the one trait I do not like about myself. Just like you, I cannot control it and the tears just start to flow!
Old 09-26-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
Die Cut Diva

Big time tears here! Been like as long as I can remember. The worst was crying on the job when I got royally screwed by a manager. I guess it was either cry or jump over the desk and physically assault the boss.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
Stampin' Fool

Send a message via Yahoo to Alcojo94

The only time I cry is when I am seriously ticked off. Like others stated, I cant control it. Its like my body reaches its boiling point and boom, here come the tears. Then I get even more ticked because I'm crying!
Old 09-26-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
Crimping Master

Add me to the list. I find myself doing this too and I wish I could control it but sometimes I just can't. You are not alone!!
Old 09-26-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
Stampin' Fool

DD and I are both this way. It's an automatic reaction when we are frustrated. Then we get mad at ourselves for crying, too. It stinks.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:24 AM   #9
Polyshrink Goddess

I also cry when I get really mad. I don't know why, but I get even more mad when I start crying then I start crying harder.
The only time it has worked to my advantage was once when I was talking to a co-worker & he wanted me to tell a customer I'd change their address in my computer system & I could but the customer would still be upset next time he came in because the computer it needed to be changed in had to be done by someone else. They were walking right past this person on their way out. I asked them to go there to change it on their way out. They were okay w/ this after yelling at me for their address not being updated. Well my co-worker wasn't happy & wanted me to just change it in my computer & tell the other person to change it. That's all fine & dandy but the other person on many occasions wouldn't change it when I'd asked them for other customers. So long story short trying to explain this to salesman & could feel the tears coming on told him I'd talk about it later. He wouldn't stop talking & we were both upset. I did start crying & yelled at him (customer was gone) that I said I'd talk about it later. Ran into the bathroom & slammed the door. He didn't talk to me for about 3 days. Finally he asked me if I was still mad & could we be friends again.......I didn't know we were friends before, but from that point on he was REALLY nice to me & would bend over backwards & go out of his way to help me w/ anything. I think he felt really bad about "making" me cry, lol.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #10
Hardware Hotshot

I also suffer from this affliction. I hate it because it makes me look weak. But I can't seem to stop. My 20 year old is this way too and she is so frustrated by it. I just look up and wait for me to get a handle on myself......
Old 09-26-2009, 10:44 AM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

I also cry! A lot of times, depending on the situation I warn people in advance.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #12
Stazon Splitcoast

I cry too when I get livid. It is because I am sooooooooo full of rage and hatred, that I want to kill or maim the person (that I'm mad at) or completely destroy whatever I'm mad at (a corporation, a computer, etc.) but I know I can't, and THAT is what makes me cry. I start shaking too. I think it is from the effort of restraining myself (from chopping up the person or object).

A friend noticed this in me and told me years ago that if I start crying in the middle of a confrontation, to just keep talking as if there WERE no tears - weak trembly voice and all - just keep talking. But I cry (in anger) so rarely that I can't remember if I ever took her advice or not.

Edited to add:
I know this wasn't the point of the thread, but banks suck (IMO). Try to get into a credit union.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
Pearl-ExPert

[QUOTE=SophieLaFontaine;15212102]I cry too when I get livid. It is because I am sooooooooo full of rage and hatred, that I want to kill or maim the person (that I'm mad at) or completely destroy whatever I'm mad at (a corporation, a computer, etc.) but I know I can't, and THAT is what makes me cry. I start shaking too. I think it is from the effort of restraining myself (from chopping up the person or object).

A friend noticed this in me and told me years ago that if I start crying in the middle of a confrontation, to just keep talking as if there WERE no tears - weak trembly voice and all - just keep talking. But I cry (in anger) so rarely that I can't remember if I ever took her advice or not.

Edited to add:
I know this wasn't the point of the thread, but banks suck (IMO). Try to get into a credit union.[/
QUOTE]

You know, we've really been unhappy with our bank for sometime now. (Pretty much since the beginning when we got one of those offers in the mail for 100 dollars if you join.) I've been meaning to join a credit union for quite a while but haven't. Monday my wonderful dh will be going into the bank and closing our account for me. He's unemployed right now and there's only a couple of bills we use that account for, so we're going to deal with those bills through other means. When he starts working again (hopefully soon) we'll open an account with the credit union associated with his union.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:43 PM   #14
Pearl-ExPert

It's nice to know that at least I'm not the only one who is unable to get a grip. I wish there was something that could be done about it!
Old 09-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #15
Stazon Splitcoast

Yep sadly to say I'm one of them also....it's never the right time and you try to stop it and you can just feel your face and lip quivering. I hate that!

A gilr needs a good cry every now and then but there are times we should be able to fight it off.....it's that we care thing.

(HUGS) to all of us!
Old 09-26-2009, 06:15 PM   #16
Stampin' Fool

I know my drill sergeants didn't appreciate my cry-when-frustrated reaction. In fact, in my younger years, most of my military supervisors weren't big fans of it either.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:44 AM   #17
Stampin' Fool

I cry so easily. I hate myself for it, but I can't stop it. I can't go to funerals or wakes. Some days I can't read the paper without tearing up. I do not cry when I am angry...I can tell anybody off about anything. If something does not go my way I might cry afterwards. I can go for weeks without crying, then if I see something sad, the waterworks start! I wish I was not so sensitive! If anybody has a solution -please share ...especially for wakes...I really can't go. Once I start to cry, I can't stop. It is embarrassing!
I totally avoid all sad things.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:01 AM   #18
Kookie Creator

Rachel

Sorry to hear youíre having problems with your bank and are feeling frustrated.

Iíve had a lot of frustrations at work over the years and I felt totally unable to deal with some of my co-workers and their back-stabbing. I used to cry myself to sleep, but Iíve never cried in front of those people.

Now I donít cry very much but, when I do, itís usually because I find it difficult to make friends or because Iím going to lose my job within the next few months.

All the best and I hope youíll find a solution to your problem soon. Please let us know how it goes.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #19
Hardware Hotshot

ALL the time until I went on anxiety/depression meds. Now I know when I forget to take one, because by 8:00 if something is sad, I'll be crying my eyes out!
But, yeah. I've always cried when I get to a certain point of frustration. And I HATE it! I like to say, "Oh, my eyes are just leaking. I'll be ok in a minute."
Old 09-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #20
Watercolor Wizard

Yes, I do too, and my brain shuts off and I turn into a pathetic looking moron.

I'm not normally much of a crier at all, but I remember being frustrated at a job I had years ago and starting to cry in front of my boss. He seemed so surprised, I tried to pass it off as allergies. The dumb thing was, he was the buyer of OTC medicines for a grocery chain and actually offered me a sample of allergy meds from the closet in his office right then and there! Ooops!
Old 09-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #21
Gallery Gazer

Send a message via Skype™ to okstamper

Yes, actually I do...seems as though I have been doing that alot lately only because my husband thinks in his eyes that he is the only one that can be sick. Well, I got news for him...I have sleeping on the couch for a week now only because I didnt want to get the flu bug that he got..playing it safe. And all this time, he has had the the nice comfortable bed. I am not saying the couch isnt comfortable because it is. Anyways, well...I have the flu now, but I am still on the couch. Don't you think he should give up the bed for me? Oh, the other part is, every time I or my son say anything or do anything its wrong...its always agrumental or just nick pick at us. It drives me crazy. He knows that I cant talk or speak up, so why make the long SIGH sound like he didnt hear me the first time...dont have to get all sassy. Just like I told him I was going to go instead to my other sons football game, so I better get into the shower....he was going to go but he let out a sigh like "Ah, I dont feel well"...does he have to play? Yes, he has to play...his team is counting on him...besides What am I chop liver...I dont feel well either, but I try not to let it get me down to where I cant support my son's game...he was just too lazy to get ready. I will always be there for my kids, whatever it takes...gosh darn, I better throw the water bottle down correctly at the ball field...mr. sicko my husband will send the water patrol after you...things like that, I cant stand...so pretty much...My older son and I stayed to ourselves because we didnt want our heads bitten off.

So, to answer your question? Do I cry sometimes...YES!
My Blog~Bonnie's Creative Corner
Every Job is a Self-Portrait of the Person Who Did It.
Autograph Your Work With Excellence.~Author Unknown
Old 09-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #22
Gallery Gazer

Yes, actually I do...seems as though I have been doing that alot lately only because my husband thinks in his eyes that he is the only one that can be sick. Well, I got news for him...I have sleeping on the couch for a week now only because I didnt want to get the flu bug that he got..playing it safe. And all this time, he has had the the nice comfortable bed. I am not saying the couch isnt comfortable because it is. Anyways, well...I have the flu now, but I am still on the couch. Don't you think he should give up the bed for me? Oh, the other part is, every time I or my son say anything or do anything its wrong...its always agrumental or just nick pick at us. It drives me crazy. He knows that I cant talk or speak up, so why make the long SIGH sound like he didnt hear me the first time...dont have to get all sassy. Just like I told him I was going to go instead to my other sons football game, so I better get into the shower....he was going to go but he let out a sigh like "Ah, I dont feel well"...does he have to play? Yes, he has to play...his team is counting on him...besides What am I chop liver...I dont feel well either, but I try not to let it get me down to where I cant support my son's game...he was just too lazy to get ready. I will always be there for my kids, whatever it takes...gosh darn, I better throw the water bottle down correctly at the ball field...mr. sicko my husband will send the water patrol after you...things like that, I cant stand...so pretty much...My older son and I stayed to ourselves because we didnt want our heads bitten off.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #23
Gallery Gazer

Old 09-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #24
Gallery Gazer

So, to answer your question? Do I cry sometimes...YES! I stood there in my closet crying this afternoon because if I said anything it would be wrong, if I did anything, it would be wrong...I hate it when he picks on my son too.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #25
Gallery Gazer

triple post error! Sorry!

Last edited by okstamper; 09-27-2009 at 08:42 PM..
Old 09-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #26
Gallery Gazer

triple post error! SOrry

Last edited by okstamper; 09-27-2009 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: triple post
Old 09-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #27
Gallery Gazer

triple post error! Sorry!

Last edited by okstamper; 09-27-2009 at 08:43 PM..
Old 09-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #28
Gallery Gazer

posting error! sorry

Last edited by okstamper; 09-27-2009 at 08:43 PM..
Old 09-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #29
Gallery Gazer

posting error, sorry!

Last edited by okstamper; 09-27-2009 at 08:44 PM..
Old 09-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #30
Gallery Gazer

posting error, sorry!

Old 09-27-2009, 08:39 PM   #31
Gallery Gazer

posting error, sorry!

Old 09-27-2009, 08:39 PM   #32
Gallery Gazer

posting error, sorry! I dont understand why it took so long to just post one comment....it just set there, so I made sure I logged out and resigned in...look what happened?

Last edited by okstamper; 09-27-2009 at 08:45 PM..
Old 09-27-2009, 09:03 PM   #33
Pearl-ExPert

bonnie, i'm so sorry you don't feel good and i know how aggravating husbands can be. but i'm laughing my butt off at all your duplicate posts! lol!

seriously though, the sighing... i'm right there with you on that one.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:42 AM   #34
MnM
Insane Embellisher

Bright Rachel - I cry when angry too.

Bonnie - all your posts made me giggle
Old 09-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #35
Pearl-ExPert

I started bawling at dh for playing a practical joke on me the other day. He was less than impressed by my tears and I just couldn't shut off the waterworks! And it wasn't even that I was mad but I couldn't even laugh because tears came instantly! I wasn't a big cryer until I had kids!
Old 09-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #36
Stazon Splitcoast

I cry when I get frustrated or really mad, but I think that it's good to cry. And, I do cry easily, at sentimental things. For instance, Saturday night I went with my future daugther-in-law to the bridal shop to look for a wedding dress for her. The FIRST time that she stepped out of the dressing room with a wedding dress on, I cried.....complete waterworks....just like a fountain! But, I laugh it off. I knew it was gonna happen. I cry at movies, weddings, funerals.....I even cry at the school band as they march past me in the parade at Christmas time!!!! I'm so mushy!!!! My DH and sons just put their arms around me, give me a squeeze and offer a tissue. God Bless 'em!!
Kookzi the Rookzie Punchkateer
It is by the grace of God that we take our next breath.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:17 AM   #37
Die Cut Diva

As a matter of fact, I'm ready to cry right now! I was in the middle of a legal brief when the Word system went totally down. If I lost my brief, I'll be very, very upset. We are supposed to have "cutting edge" technology in this office, and I swear the people who installed our system didn't know what they were doing - we have had nothing but problems. So, yes - I do tend to cry when frustrated. You are not alone by any means.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #38
Cardstock Collector

I was in a commununications training class at work the other day and received the best piece of advice for when emotions start taking over. It has to do with the left brain/right brain hemispheres. One side is emotional, the other is rational. So here is the advice: when you are in a situation where your emotional brain is dominant, you can kick start your "rational" brain by doing math in your head. Do a couple math problems and you can begin getting the emotions under control.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #39
Die Cut Diva

Yes! I totally cry when I get mad and its not helpful when you are trying to solve an issue. I am a bad "fighter" too! It did help one time... last Christmas I booked a flight with two layovers (yuck, never again) on the way home and was in Atlanta waiting for my flight to Jacksonville (it was like 10p too). I went up to the counter because I didn't have a seat assignment (but I had a boarding ticket) and they told me I wasn't on the flight!!!! This was after my trip home to WI where my flight was cancelled for "maintenance." She told me I could go stand in this line and see what they could do. After 15 minutes of not standing in line (and the flight was leaving 20 minutes later) I was FURIOUS and of course started crying as I started walking back to the gate. A supervisor for the airline saw me and asked what was wrong so I explained it to him, and he used his special powers to get me my seat back!!!

Other than that, the whole crying when I'm frustrated is frustrating (ha) and I always have a hard time getting my point across because I don't want to look like an idiot when I start blubbering. I find that "live chat" options with many companies work very well... he he.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #40
Pearl-ExPert

Well, I'll try the suggestion about doing math problems next time I get weepy in a business/serious situation, I'm a little skeptical about it, though. I have heard people say to just talk through it. Say, "Ignore the tears, that's just my normal reaction when I'm angry/frustrated/scared" and go on with what you're trying to say.