Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #2041
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBreeze View Post
Thank you so much for explaining this for me!!!!!! I don't know much about vintage patterns or even gages. I think I have one or two of balls of sz 20 and sz 30. I'll around for the sz 50.

PS: what is the best sz hook for sz 10, 20 & 30?
As I'm sure you know, not all hooks are created equal - when in doubt, go by the size in mm.

These should help:
Thread Crochet and Snowflakes

U.S. Steel Crochet Hook Size Matched To Approximate Thread Size To Use

Heirloom Crochet -Crochet Hooks
Old 01-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #2042
Swap Moderator
Swapper of the Month - November 2013

Subbing

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #2043
Mad Swapper

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #2044
Watercolor Wizard

Good morning,

Wanted to share this cute little thing with everyone. It's a pouch for chapstick for guys! Check out this blog post to see it and find out how to make it.

I subscribe to Lindsay's blog and she is always coming up with something creative:

Hello soldier, want some chap-stick? « Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 01-31-2013, 09:50 PM   #2045
Watercolor Wizard

Here is my youngest granddaughter, Dorothy Rose, 7 months old, showing off the hat I crocheted for her:
Attached Thumbnails
dorothy-hat-1.jpg   dorothy-hat-2.jpg  

Old 02-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #2046
Die Cut Diva

Adorable!! I've got to find a pattern and try that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
Here is my youngest granddaughter, Dorothy Rose, 7 months old, showing off the hat I crocheted for her:

Old 02-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #2047
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiK View Post
Adorable!! I've got to find a pattern and try that!
Here is a link to the pattern I used. It's super simple, just uses double crochet. The pattern is the same for all sizes - you just change the size of the hook to make it larger for toddlers, kids, and adults:

Ravelry: Quick and Easy Basic Crochet Beanie pattern by Yolanda Soto-Lopez

Old 02-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #2048
Die Cut Diva

Thanks so much for the link! Did you use any special yarn?

Old 02-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #2049
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiK View Post
Thanks so much for the link! Did you use any special yarn?
I've made several of these hats, including the one for the baby. I used Red Heart worsted weight yarn that I had leftover from an afghan. They have a new kind of Red Heart that is called "super soft". It is a softer yarn, but still the worsted weight.

Hobby Lobby carries their own store brand of worsted weight yarn called "I Love This Yarn". It is really soft and pretty, and comes in lots of yummy colors. I think it is normally $3.99 per skein, but you can use a coupon for it. It makes really nice hats, too.

I made a whole bunch of spiral scarves for Christmas, so I had lots of leftovers that I used to make hats.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #2050
Swapper of the Month March 2012

Fabulous hat! Love it!

I'm Stampin' Good Deeds, Are You?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #2051
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeeds View Post
Fabulous hat! Love it!
Yes, I agree. I love that you don't have to change the pattern for different sizes, just change your hook size. I love to have something to crochet going most of the time, but don't like to have to keep stopping, counting, and reading a pattern with lots of changes.

I've been on a roll and have made about 6 of these hats. Want to get them done and gifted while it's still cool enough to wear them, lol.

I have found that the type of yarn makes a difference in the size of the hats, also. Even if it says "worsted weight" the texture makes a slight difference in how the hat turns out. It is pretty stretchy though, so it works out okay - just looks a little different.

If anyone is making the hats, here is a really great pattern to make a crochet flower for them, too. I've made contrasting flowers, and flowers that match, with button centers. It really dresses up the hats. There is a video and written pattern at the link:

Little Birdie Secrets: how to crochet a flower video tutorial

Old 02-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #2052
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
AWwww!! Such a cutie! Nice hat, too!

Hi all!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #2053

Hi Christina!
Hi All!
Just checking in when I have a moment. My yarn is all tucked away for the packing/moving and I am now thinking about which ones I need to keep out for travel and moving for my sanity.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #2054
Embossing Fanatic

What cute projects! I knew how to do the basic single crochet and recently learned how to do many others but I'm still working on how to read patterns. I haven't done too terribly yet but I have avoided anything other than beginner.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #2055
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie VH View Post
What cute projects! I knew how to do the basic single crochet and recently learned how to do many others but I'm still working on how to read patterns. I haven't done too terribly yet but I have avoided anything other than beginner.

I highly recommend that all beginner crocheters go to Youtube and check out the videos there for beginners.

You can find tutorials for any project you want, hats, scarves, afghans, etc. Some are better than others, and some folks are better teachers than others, so look around and see what appeals to you.

Once you have mastered the basic crochet stitches, single crochet, double crochet, and triple crochet, you will have a much better idea of what a pattern is talking about.

Have fun!

Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #2056

And remember that patterns are not always accurate or correct. Many have reprints or corrections so watch for those. I would think it was me and then realize it wasn't me but I'd miss corrections on a pattern!

Old 02-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #2057
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeeds View Post
And remember that patterns are not always accurate or correct. Many have reprints or corrections so watch for those. I would think it was me and then realize it wasn't me but I'd miss corrections on a pattern!
Yes, I've found this out the hard way, and ripped lots of projects back to square one. Crocheters are only too human, I've found. I admire anyone who takes the time to write out a pattern and share it online, and especially those who take time to make the video tutorials on youtube.

That said, these are mostly just people like you and me, and they do make mistakes!

I just watched a youtube video that was pretty long, about 18 minutes. It wasn't until the very end that the gal said she "meant" to say this or that. She started off the video with a completely different hook size than she ended up with, which affected the size of what she was making.

And, one really cracked me up. She did about 3 rows on a hat, and then said, "Just keep on doing this until you're done."

I've looked at several videos where they had bad lighting, and used very dark yarn. You could not tell anything about what they were doing.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #2058
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for the tips. I looked up crochet on youtube and was so overwhelmed with the amount that I may just browse through a few and eliminate some with those issues.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #2059
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via AIM to buzybasket Send a message via Yahoo to buzybasket

Not sure how many times I've had to rip back patterns because they weren't written quite correctly (or I didn't read them right!) but yes, the creators are human and sometimes miss a step or two along the way. It helps to be an "expert" and being able to figure it out before too many rows have passed before realizing it. When teaching, I try to remember if I've had to make corrections on a pattern so that I can pass that on to my student(s).
Old 02-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #2060

I like the LionBrand patterns as they have the corrections printed, and haven't had to many issues wth those.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #2061
Watercolor Wizard

Wanted to share this "lightbulb" moment with you guys. For years and years I've used Red Heart Super Saver yarns to make all kinds of things. They have great colors, and it is very inexpensive. I have always hated that it was not very soft though.

Well, what do you know? Duh - if you wash your completed project in cold water in the machine and use liquid fabric softener it becomes just as soft as can be. I put it in with a load of like colors, and then into the dryer on permanent press setting.

It never, ever occurred to me to wash something BEFORE I gave it to someone. I've been on a roll making slouchy beanie berets for teenage granddaughters, and the hats need to be soft in order to drape properly in the back.

Washing makes all the difference in the world!

ArtsyScrapper likes this post.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #2062
Pearl-ExPert

Hi everyone! Just checking in to see what's going on over here. Hope you are all doing well.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #2063

Oh my. I have been sorting, sorting, sorting, shredding, shredding, shredding, packing, sorting more, shredding more, throwing away more than the law should allow, donating, donating, donating, doing returns, dropping off, dropping off, dropping off... seems like everywhere I go I have things to drop to others and I still have some things in my car!

OH MY GOODNESS... I have a lot of "STUFF"! I am shocked to figure out just how much I have accumulated in this house. Its scary! I feel like a hoarder but I don't even know how I got there and the house was so big I didn't even realize it!

Its a blessing to have to move and do this in that it makes us go through it all, but nonetheless an eye opener and shocker. Even DH has been overwhelmed in discovering how much he had accumulated that he didn't need or just had boxed up and stuck places. We even had to schedule special pick ups for garbage. Egads.

And I'm STILL going through things.

As fellow crafters, you will know how hard it is to let go of things too. For example, I must have found at least 30 skeins of yarn I didn't even realize I had or know how I got them. They were odd balls of mixed colors and such that are mostly basic acrylics that I rarely even use too. Not sure where or how I accumulated them but am donating them to a couple of others who use them for baby and prayer shawl groups. It was devastating to me as a crafter too to have to get rid of the things I had accumulated and saved to alter, use, etc. for swaps... and far too many of the swaps I'd received back. Bummer. But I couldn't possibly keep them all. I have done/hosted over 500 swaps in the last 6 years on here. Can you believe that? And it showed. I donated majority of it to various groups, friends, church, family. The women's shelter will be happily receiving a big box this week. RMH received several boxes of items from us last month. The young mothers program received items. A child care center now has a big shelf full of craft supplies too (I suspect the mothers of the kids will be receiving new plants grown in a lot of coffee cup planters this spring... haha... and no telling what those altered tins will be covered with but possibly a lot of paper scraps (decoupage ala preschoolers).
I'm okay with it if they are going to a good cause or thought like that but I just hate to throw things away rather than recycle.

AND, then there is the challenge of trying to decide what 'necessities' I am taking with us in the cars to have for the first 30-60 days until we find a place to live and get our things moved into it. Well, as crafters, you know what that means. I've been trying to find out what craft stores are there and classes, and that means trying to decide if I'm taking any yarn projects with me or quilting stuff with me or papercrafting basics (after all, what crafter wouldn't travel and would go without her basics for 60 days????). I did that but I somehow think the TWO grocery totes of yarn projects has to be scaled back. Those were the UFO's I found in my yarn piles that I thought, "Oh this would be a good project to take with me to finish up in the hotel room some evenings until we find a place to live... " and then I realized I have TWO bags of UFOs. I think I have to decide which TWO projects, instead of TWO bags worth. BTW, in case you don't know... UFO's just stands for Unfinished Objects (Projects) in the craft world.

Well, ladies, I'm off to sorting more for now. Our closing date was moved til the last week of this month, a blessing in disguise, and movers will come the week prior so I've got lots to still go through. My list of areas is down to 12, but still 12 to do!

Blessings!

Old 03-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #2064

OH, and I jsut had to add for the record that even after going through all the yarns and donating lots... I STILL have three BIG containers full of yarn I'm keeping! NO MORE YARN BUYING FOR ME FOR A LONG WHILE!!!

Old 03-08-2013, 04:19 AM   #2065
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via AIM to buzybasket Send a message via Yahoo to buzybasket

Quote:
Thank you so much for explaining this for me!!!!!! I don't know much about vintage patterns or even gages. I think I have one or two of balls of sz 20 and sz 30. I'll around for the sz 50.

PS: what is the best sz hook for sz 10, 20 & 30?
SummerBreeze, You can find size 50 online. Size 80 is commonly used for tatting and should readily be available at most of your local craft stores. They are very small balls, look near the embroidery thread area. For size 10 I would used a size 6 hook, 20 a 7 and 30 an 8. What size hook did the pattern recommend for the 50 thread? Becky
Old 03-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #2066
Watercolor Wizard

Good afternoon, ladies. I wanted to share my latest project.

Crocheted Easter Eggs! They turn out really cute, and you can use up all those leftover bits of yarn:

Crocheted Easter Eggs & Pattern - Mom On Timeout

I've made a whole bunch and I'm going to put them in a basket with candy for my grandkids. They will be much more fun to play with and hide than those plastic eggs. They can even throw them at each other, lol.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #2067
Swap Moderator
Swapper of the Month - November 2013

Quote:

Crocheted Easter Eggs! They turn out really cute, and you can use up all those leftover bits of yarn:

I've made a whole bunch and I'm going to put them in a basket with candy for my grandkids. They will be much more fun to play with and hide than those plastic eggs. They can even throw them at each other, lol.

Those are super cute!

Old 03-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #2068
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:

Those are cute.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #2069
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina612 View Post
Hi everyone! Just checking in to see what's going on over here. Hope you are all doing well.
Hi Christine!
I'm doing well here. Waiting anxiously for REAL Spring, as I'm sure most everyone is. I've just been crazy busy... as I knew I would be and why is scaled way back on SCS commitments. I'm still not in full crafting mode yet, but I'm getting better and blogging regularly.

How are you guys?
Old 03-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #2070
Stazon Splitcoast

Susan.. I just can NOT imagine going through what you're doing now. Especially after all you went through to get the house. I am thankful things are working out for you, though.

Know I'm thinking of you and thank you for my surprise envelope last week. It made me smile... and pause for a couple moments before I dove back in.

For those of you who haven't heard... the current issue of Polymer Cafe magazine... the Mar/ Apr issue is on stands for a couple more weeks... with my first feature! I am so excited. Maybe the next one will be an actual tutorial. We'll see.

I'll try to check back more as the house becomes liveable again.
ArtsyScrapper likes this post.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #2071
Watercolor Wizard

I already posted a link to the pattern for Easter eggs, but here are pics of the actual eggs I crocheted for my grandkids. They just loved them! Also made some cute little chicks, too.
Attached Thumbnails
crochet-easter-eggs-2013.jpg   easter-eggs-chick.jpg  

Anemone likes this post.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #2072
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I already posted a link to the pattern for Easter eggs, but here are pics of the actual eggs I crocheted for my grandkids. They just loved them! Also made some cute little chicks, too.
How cute! And perfect Easter Eggs for toddlers.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #2073
Watercolor Wizard

In between making lots of Mother's Day cards, I crocheted this cute Ponytail Beanie for my 13 year old granddaughter, Faith. She just loves it, and told me she is a "hat person", lol:
Attached Thumbnails
faith-ponytail-hat-1.jpg   faith-ponytail-hat-2.jpg   faith-ponytail-hat.jpg  

Old 04-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #2074
CBC Lady Violet

Cute!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #2075
Watercolor Wizard

Default Holding hook - like knife or pencil?

There seem to be 2 basic ways to hold a crochet hook - like a table knife, or like a pencil. Which way do you hold your hook?

I hold mine like a knife, and it seems more confortable to me and I can crochet faster that way.

I got curious and looked it up. Here is what I found:

"If you've decided to learn how to crochet, once you have some pretty yarn and a good basic crochet hook, you are going to need to learn how to hold that hook. While there is no right way to hold a crochet hook, there are two basic styles. The pencil method was traditionally used, because it would make a woman's hand look more feminine. The knife method can also help reduce the risk of carpal tunnel syndrome. Crocheting beautiful gifts for your family and friends."

It seems the knife method might be better for your hand and wrist. I think it is very interesting that the pencil method was used to make a woman's hand look more feminine. Seems like another thing, like high heels, that are to make us look pretty, but are bad for our bodies.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #2076
Glitter Queen

Hi y'all ! I'm new to the site, and am overjoyed to find a spot here for my other hobby! I love to crochet - but not with yarn- I'm a doily/ornament girl- I love thread! I just recently got the hang of knitting, so will be using all the yarn for that. ( also, noticing comments from earlier- I hold my needle like a knife..)
buggainok likes this post.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #2077
CBC Lady Violet

Nice to have you join us ArtsyScrapper!
Most of the crocheting I did for many years was doily/ornament/fine work, but the last couple of years I have started doing more yarn work. Mostly because I have been doing softee/toy stuff for my nieces & nephews.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #2078
Mad Swapper

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyScrapper View Post
Hi y'all ! I'm new to the site, and am overjoyed to find a spot here for my other hobby! I love to crochet - but not with yarn- I'm a doily/ornament girl- I love thread! I just recently got the hang of knitting, so will be using all the yarn for that. ( also, noticing comments from earlier- I hold my needle like a knife..)
Hi and welcome! I'm more of a thread person too! Doilies are my thing. I have crocheted ornaments from last Christmas to show, but [look of shame] I hadn't had a chance to starch them. Sorry guys, but time isn't kind over here!

Anyway, I'm working on a monster right now. Not big, just advanced. I've never done an advanced pattern before. I've redone it about 5 times and it is still puffy in spots, but hopefully it will block out right.

I would love to talk about [doily] crochet with you! I'm self-taught with crochet and do not know all the "rules."

Hugs , SB
Old 05-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #2079
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Hi and welcome! I'm more of a thread person too! Doilies are my thing. I have crocheted ornaments from last Christmas to show, but [look of shame] I hadn't had a chance to starch them. Sorry guys, but time isn't kind over here!

Anyway, I'm working on a monster right now. Not big, just advanced. I've never done an advanced pattern before. I've redone it about 5 times and it is still puffy in spots, but hopefully it will block out right.

I would love to talk about [doily] crochet with you! I'm self-taught with crochet and do not know all the "rules."

Hugs , SB
I've actually starched very few of my pieces. I hate a really stiff starch on a doily. Some thread ornaments need a really stiff starch of course, but I avoid it when I can.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #2080
Pearl-ExPert

That's so interesting! TFS! I've been pondering that very same thing lately. I hold my hook like a pencil, but since I've seen others use the knife hold I've been curious to try it. Of course, I may as well try to crochet with my left hand (I'm right handed)! It feels so foreign, lol.

Quote:
There seem to be 2 basic ways to hold a crochet hook - like a table knife, or like a pencil. Which way do you hold your hook?

I hold mine like a knife, and it seems more confortable to me and I can crochet faster that way.

I got curious and looked it up. Here is what I found:

"If you've decided to learn how to crochet, once you have some pretty yarn and a good basic crochet hook, you are going to need to learn how to hold that hook. While there is no right way to hold a crochet hook, there are two basic styles. The pencil method was traditionally used, because it would make a woman's hand look more feminine. The knife method can also help reduce the risk of carpal tunnel syndrome. Crocheting beautiful gifts for your family and friends."

It seems the knife method might be better for your hand and wrist. I think it is very interesting that the pencil method was used to make a woman's hand look more feminine. Seems like another thing, like high heels, that are to make us look pretty, but are bad for our bodies.